The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Strikers for one position?

While we're at it lets sign a couple more goalkeepers too.
GK and CM is the highest priority for me.

Morelos and Roofe on huge huge wages, unsure about Colak’s wages. Striker is the close to the last position we should be adding to.

All about opinions I guess,I certainly felt most comfortable when he was at the heart of defense.;)
I genuinely liked the big man, cracking defender, but he had so many errors in him, exposed in Europe loads, even though he popped up with some important goals, helander was the same, cracking defender but too many errors in Europe.

%^*& me you just made me realise that all our center backs have been massively error prone in Europe FFS :D

What's surprising is if you look at the guaranteed total for us in the Europa League compared with the Champions League, there's only about £4.5m difference between the two. There's still a much higher ceiling for us being in the Champions League, but getting the Parachute payment has been huge for us it seems.

Is our Europa League market pool figure assuming Hearts don't qualify? I think there's a pretty decent chance they will.

We need four strikers for one place?

That would be a stunning sales pitch to bring someone in to be third or fourth choice. Well, someone worth signing that is.

4 Strikers for one position?

While we're at it lets sign a couple more goalkeepers too.

I get your points but if Colak and or Morelos get injured are we relying on Roofe to carry us again?
He couldn't do it last season when Alfie dropped out and there was a Euro Final in our sights.

I genuinely liked the big man, cracking defender, but he had so many errors in him, exposed in Europe loads, even though he popped up with some important goals, helander was the same, cracking defender but too many errors in Europe.

%^*& me you just made me realise that all our center backs have been massively error prone in Europe FFS :D
Helander had 1 bad game vs Benfica and was excellent in the rest

Really hoping we have £10m or so available for a quality centre mid and right winger if we make the Champions League proper.

Failing that, £5m for one of the two if we make the Europa League.

Hopefully the board have realised that kind of addition can vastly improve our fortunes over the course of a season, is incredibly difficult to find in January, and will pay for itself if the player is scouted properly.

Really hoping we have £10m or so available for a quality centre mid and right winger if we make the Champions League proper.

Failing that, £5m for one of the two if we make the Europa League.

Hopefully the board have realised that kind of addition can vastly improve our fortunes over the course of a season, is incredibly difficult to find in January, and will pay for itself if the player is scouted properly.

We’ve just spent £3/4million on Matondo, there’s no chance we go out and sign another right winger.

We’ve just spent £3/4million on Matondo, there’s no chance we go out and sign another right winger.

He seems to have played the majority of his career on the left and coincidentally scored most of his goals from the left.

I think he's a good player who will get better, but i don't see why we didn't go for an outright right winger.

Helander had 1 bad game vs Benfica and was excellent in the rest

I can remember him having another howler in Europe outside the benfica game, but can't remember against who.

Unfortunately he's not reliable whatsoever, and is the last year if his contract now I think.

He seems to have played the majority of his career on the left and coincidentally scored most of his goals from the left.

I think he's a good player who will get better, but i don't see why we didn't go for an outright right winger.

Exactly. Matondo can play in either of the wide positions and isn't ready to start every game over a long season for us. Especially if he also gets called up for Wales.

We need someone else out there that isn't a midfielder shoehorned in, or Scott Wright/Sakala.

Wingers these days are so interchangeable that playing on the left or right isn’t really that big a deal.

We’ve also seen Lawrence, Tillman and Wright play on the right side this season and they’ve all done it relatively well.

We don’t need an out and out right winger (a Candeias type) considering the way we play because Tav is already giving us enough from that side without anyone else getting in his way.

Exactly. Matondo can play in either of the wide positions and isn't ready to start every game over a long season for us. Especially if he also gets called up for Wales.

We need someone else out there that isn't a midfielder shoehorned in, or Scott Wright/Sakala.

In the current squad we have Matondo, Lawrence, Tillman, Kent, Arfield, Wright, Roofe, Sakala, Hagi and Lowry who can play there.

We don’t need anymore players for that position.

In the current squad we have Matondo, Lawrence, Tillman, Kent, Arfield, Wright, Roofe, Sakala, Hagi and Lowry who can play there.

We don’t need anymore players for that position.

Who of your list above would you say wide right is their strongest position, and they are of sufficient quality to enhance our Starting XI?

Matondo is probably the best right winger there, and he isn't ready to start every game. Kent will always play on the left. GVB has already shown a preference to playing Lawrence, Tillman & Hagi centrally. Oh, and Hagi isn't back until after the World Cup at the earliest. Roofe has injury problems too.

Wright, Sakala & Arfield aren't good enough to be starting every game.

It's all fine having depth and players that 'can play there' but the issue is whether we have anyone good enough to play there in our bigger games this season. Right now we probably don't.

Who of your list above would you say wide right is their strongest position, and they are of sufficient quality to enhance our Starting XI?

Matondo is probably the best right winger there, and he isn't ready to start every game. Kent will always play on the left. GVB has already shown a preference to playing Lawrence, Tillman & Hagi centrally. Oh, and Hagi isn't back until after the World Cup at the earliest. Roofe has injury problems too.

Wright, Sakala & Arfield aren't good enough to be starting every game.

It's all fine having depth and players that 'can play there' but the issue is whether we have anyone good enough to play there in our bigger games this season. Right now we probably don't.

All of them are capable of playing for us and helping us win games.

I actually think one of the main reasons Lawrence was signed was to basically play as a “narrow 10” on the right side of our attack. Tav is good enough to provide us the width on our right side so having a creative player playing more inside makes sense.

Wright, Sakala and Arfield aren’t good enough to play every week but they aren’t being asked to. They are capable of being impact players when called upon throughout the season.

We could sign another right winger but the usual faces would continue to moan about it or they’d find something else to moan about.

Interest in Evander is 2/3 years too late, we won’t pay what he’s now worth
Tbh he's probably a more realistic proposition now.

Their and his hype has died down these last few years. Onyeka and Cajuste have moved and haven't set the heather a light. Stuff like that tends to have a knock on effect when selling the next player.

He's also 24, not 21 and hasn't moved on from Denmark in 4 years now.

Before anyone starts I know he is only 24 and is still young and he has loads of room to improve. It's just playing well at under 22 seems to carry far more of a premium than at 24 does.

From the few times I've seen him he looks a very talented player with scope to develop further. I really hope this is a goer.

Was the £3m bid from Burnley for Sakala real? Don't understand why we would've rejected it when he's not playing a minute of football for us. It could've gone a decent way to bolstering our options.

As it stands Scott Wright has been getting far too much game time for my liking.

Was the £3m bid from Burnley for Sakala real? Don't understand why we would've rejected it when he's not playing a minute of football for us. It could've gone a decent way to bolstering our options.

As it stands Scott Wright has been getting far too much game time for my liking.

I’d be stunned if it was for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don’t see anyone bidding that sort of money for Sakala and secondly, if they did, there’s no way we’d reject it.

Scott Wright is doing ok for us so far this season. He’s getting far too much stick from a section of our fans IMO.

The squad is majorly bloated.. I count 31.

McLaughlin, McGregor, Mcrorie

Tav, Zukowski

Barisic, Yilmaz

Goldson, Davies, Souttar, King, Helander, Katic

Lundstram, Jack, Davis, Sands, Kamara, Mcann, Kelly

Matondo, Wright

Tiliman, Arfield, Lawrence, Lowry, Hagi

Kent, Sakala

Morelos, Colak, Roofe

The balance just doesn't seem right imo..

- We have 1 realible CB.

- LB could be an issue depending on how good Yilamz is and how quickly he settles.

- We have 5 CMs who all effectively do the same job.. far too one dimensional.

- We're overloaded with No10s.

- Lowry & Mcann have no chance of seeing much first team football this season which is criminal.

I don't see much forward planning in that squad at all.
Sell - Katic, Helander (if anyone would take him), Kelly, Kamara
Loan - McCann, Lowry

Then bring in Evander or someone similar. That would be ideal.

I can remember him having another howler in Europe outside the benfica game, but can't remember against who.

Unfortunately he's not reliable whatsoever, and is the last year if his contract now I think.
Think you mean the Malmo first leg, and admittedly was honking in that. I think if we can get him on a new deal with a huge wage decrease then he still has his values. 1-2 bad games in Europe doesn't take away from his class in defense (when fit, although not often)

Obviously not worth it if he's still on £20-30k a week

Think you mean the Malmo first leg, and admittedly was honking in that. I think if we can get him on a new deal with a huge wage decrease then he still has his values. 1-2 bad games in Europe doesn't take away from his class in defense (when fit, although not often)

Obviously not worth it if he's still on £20-30k a week

Was Helander not our only decent player in the Malmo away game?

I seem to remember everyone was annoyed/surprised when he was dropped for the return leg at Ibrox.

No way are we signing another wide man, but we really need a quality central midfielder, and a striker, especially if Alfie doesnt sign on soon.

Was Helander not our only decent player in the Malmo away game?

I seem to remember everyone was annoyed/surprised when he was dropped for the return leg at Ibrox.

Yeah & Gerrard picked him out for individual praise in press conference after game but then left him out the week after as you say.

I found I really strange unless he was carrying a knock which has a high probability with his injury history.

You don't see much forward planning?

McGregor, Davis, Arfield are all here for a year to help others settle.

Matondo and Yilmaz add to the sellable assets if they hit their potential. Tillman could be the same if he signs permanently.

Tavernier, Goldson, Davies, Lawrence, Lundstram, Jack and Roofe are in their prime years in a traditional sense. Some of them will still be with us years from now.

Hagi, Kamara, Morelos and Kent are the main sellable assets just now. On top of those listed above, youngsters like King, Lowry, Devine and McCann have a chance of adding to that.

Katic and Kelly will leave.

The likes of Barisic and Helander are likely to be moved on in time to make space for upcoming youths/signings.

We have a good mix of youth, experience and players in their prime, along with a number of players who could make us serious money. From an overall squad perspective, I think we're in a very good place.
Kent & Morelos are not sellable assets.. in less than 6 months they can sign for other clubs for free.

Kamara is losing value by the game as he rarely starts anymore and is becoming more of a squad player.

We've got a core group of players who are unreliable in terms of either injury or performances... Barisic, Souttar, Helander, Jack, Kamara, Wight, Sakala, Roofe.. that list is without adding the deadwood.

We spoke about a rebuild of sorts this summer.. 100% we'll be in the exact same position next summer aswell.

We're not signing another right winger FFS, folk are mad!
It probably is a bit unrealistic, considering we've brought in a few attack minded players to add to what we already had.

That said, I'm really surprised we never brought in a left footed attacking midfield player, simply for the balance of the team.

All of our attacking midfielders are right footed and it's quite rare nowadays that you don't have at least one left footed right midfielder in a squad and vice versa.

So, as much as we're good for numbers in that department, I'd definitely be expecting a left footed attacking mid / wide player to come in, IF we qualify for the Champions League.

When does the coefficient sort itself out? £5mil less than that mob and we've blown them away in terms of European progress for the last 3 years.
There is a good chance we will jump ahead of them in the next 2 years.

They are only 10 points ahead and are defending 13 points while we are defending 0.

It's not just them we will catch, we will jump up the rankings the more the years go on and we lose the years we weren't in Europe.

Kent & Morelos are not sellable assets.. in less than 6 months they can sign for other clubs for free.

Kamara is losing value by the game as he rarely starts anymore and is becoming more of a squad player.

We've got a core group of players who are unreliable in terms of either injury or performances... Barisic, Souttar, Helander, Jack, Kamara, Wight, Sakala, Roofe.. that list is without adding the deadwood.

We spoke about a rebuild of sorts this summer.. 100% we'll be in the exact same position next summer aswell.

When is Helander expected back?

I’d be stunned if it was for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don’t see anyone bidding that sort of money for Sakala and secondly, if they did, there’s no way we’d reject it.

Scott Wright is doing ok for us so far this season. He’s getting far too much stick from a section of our fans IMO.
Admittedly i am not scott wrights biggest fan, mainly due to not seeing his decision making and final ball improve at all in the 2ish years he has been with us.

But when you say he has did ok so far, as one of our attacking players what has he actually contributed this season? (Granted we are only half a dozen competitive games in).

Scott Wright scored a cracker in the Scottish cup final but realistically he is not to the required standard and I'm unsure why he gets chances after chances.

Admittedly i am not scott wrights biggest fan, mainly due to not seeing his decision making and final ball improve at all in the 2ish years he has been with us.

But when you say he has did ok so far, as one of our attacking players what has he actually contributed this season? (Granted we are only half a dozen competitive games in).

He's not not scored or assisted in 5 appearances but he's never been prolific and it's early days into the season.

He's had some flashes of brilliance but hasn't hit any consistency in his time here so far.

It seems the management team rate him although that's maybe out of necessity.

Wright's been a good signing for what we've paid but he hasn't kicked on the way I expected after a promising initial six months with us.

18 months in and it's beyond belief the number of times he picks the wrong option in attack.

And I do think we could do better than Wright and should be doing better tbh, squad player at best for homegrown players in Europe.

There is a good chance we will jump ahead of them in the next 2 years.

They are only 10 points ahead and are defending 13 points while we are defending 0.

It's not just them we will catch, we will jump up the rankings the more the years go on and we lose the years we weren't in Europe.
You've got that badly wrong mate. The poster you replied to (@GVB 1872) is talking about the 10 year co-efficient payment based on, unsurprisingly, performance over the last 10 years.

The Dhims currently sit in 40th place with 76 points. Rangers sits in 66 place with 51.25 points. Primarily because we have 5 years with absolutely no points at all. We will catch them, but its going to take a good wee while. They have their one good season of 16 points (season 12/13) dropping off next year, to be replaced by this seasons points, whilst we will replace our zero points with whatever we get this season.

UEFA 10 year co-efficient table. The important number is in the second last column on the right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back