The Sun says Leeds to up Kent bid to £14 Million

Some with short memories on here need to look at the Dave King interview following the last AGM and his take on the importance of the playing squad. I think the words he used when asked about selling Morelos in January were “no, even if it were an obscene offer.” This chat about the board being tested, hard to turn down, it’s our business model, we’re a selling club, they need to offer X amount for Kent is all contrary to that, so where is it coming from? Please help me on this because I’m either seriously ill informed or it’s imposter talk. It’s in literally every clubs business model to make a profit by selling their players. Some are totally reliant on it, we are not. Our operating model cannot be reliant on 40% of our turnover in player sales. If it was, I’d be seriously worried but I’m not in the slightest. To my mind only the most wildly optimistic could have foreseen how things could pan out financially and just how over cautious the board may have already been in retrospect, if you suddenly threw 30-40 million into the coffers. They valued the players, believed that value on the playing field was competitive to give it a go this year and was happy at that, even with the caveat that Morelos might go but would mean more cash available before the window closed or in January if needed. Adding another big player sale into the equation is a ridiculous thought. Honestly, that sort of unexpected sudden cash injection once the season has started creates a bigger headache than the numbers suggest, when you have a manager that is happy with a settled playing squad. We’ve already heard SG be vocal in playing squad areas of concern which have been addressed, I’m sure with his heavy input and agreement.

Times have moved on a little from the last AGM. Only a short 8 months or so later and Morelos is spitting the dummy out about not getting a move and that’s after everyone’s patience has been sorely tested with him one way or another. That changes the equation. He’s never hidden the fact he wants to go and play in a more competitive league (I always read that as “earn even more so I can get a better Lamborghini than my wages allow at Rangers and give more to my foundation back home.”) He gets all excited about his big money move, then the rug is pulled. He then had a choice to get his head down and work for his move but decided to work his ticket. For his lack of respect, lack of gratitude and for the sake of his team mates, he’s out and playing with the kids. The right management approach and one Walter would be proud of. This is Rangers, come back when you’ve remembered that or get your agent, who filled your head with this, to dig you out.

Back to the Dave King interview after the last AGM. The importance of “Morelos” then, can be easily substituted for “Kent” now.
We have been led to believe Kent is a different player who holds different values and appreciates what the Rangers family have done for him. He’s grounded, feels wanted, loved, is very settled and is highly motivated here with us. He sees progress in himself and progress in the team overall. He’s developing well and quickly, wants to succeed with us, wants European nights AND we don’t want to or have to sell. It might come as a surprise but money isn’t the sole motivator for every player. Kent has his head screwed on AND his heart in the right place. The board ( who are answerable to major shareholders like Dave King) clearly want to keep the club on a relatively even financial keel and support the playing team manager to succeed. Two clear priorities. Have they been met? A resounding yes on both counts from a board and shareholder perspective.

Now can you imagine selling Morelos AND Kent.....the phone call to our major shareholder to say “Good news Dave, you know that squad the manager was happy with? Yeah Alfie has been a bit of a naughty boy, but get this. We’ve decided to sell him and one of the other best players as well! It’s unlikely we’ll be able to attract similar standard players for the money we got, but hey it’s a nice profit. I know our retail ops are sorted and I know we have better sponsors and I know we have loads of coin coming from season tickets and our European run but hey, we needed more for the stability of the club and that, who, as you said 8 months ago, are already in its best position in over 40 years with zero bank debt. Best of all, the tax man will be happy.......... Because we’ve done such a good job at cashing in most of our high value playing assets all at once Dave! So much so that we can’t spend it quick enough without total disruption to the playing squad our manager was already happy with! So the tax man gets some of it too!......Ok Dave, I’ll go back and see if they’ll keep their money and do it by stage payments over a few years instead. Oh and Dave, there’s some noise around offers for Barisic coming as well, hopefully we’ll get a few more million for him next week!

I bet Mr King, our saviour and major shareholder would be delighted eh?

Board will be tested with big offers? It’s in our business model? we’re a selling club?
Give me a break. It’s the easiest decisions they will ever make to say “Thanks for the memories Alfredo, (how much for one of our reserve players!?!?) and piss off to anyone who wants Kent. Or Barisic for that matter, we know he’s next up in the circus, so before you start, piss off. EVEN IF THE OFFERS ARE OBSCENE.”

Say they offer 20 million for Kent and then an offer of 20 million for Morelos appears. That’s a lot of combined dosh to knock back. Certainly wouldn’t mind both of them staying though.

Some with short memories on here need to look at the Dave King interview following the last AGM and his take on the importance of the playing squad. I think the words he used when asked about selling Morelos in January were “no, even if it were an obscene offer.” This chat about the board being tested, hard to turn down, it’s our business model, we’re a selling club, they need to offer X amount for Kent is all contrary to that, so where is it coming from? Please help me on this because I’m either seriously ill informed or it’s imposter talk. It’s in literally every clubs business model to make a profit by selling their players. Some are totally reliant on it, we are not. Our operating model cannot be reliant on 40% of our turnover in player sales. If it was, I’d be seriously worried but I’m not in the slightest. To my mind only the most wildly optimistic could have foreseen how things could pan out financially and just how over cautious the board may have already been in retrospect, if you suddenly threw 30-40 million into the coffers. They valued the players, believed that value on the playing field was competitive to give it a go this year and was happy at that, even with the caveat that Morelos might go but would mean more cash available before the window closed or in January if needed. Adding another big player sale into the equation is a ridiculous thought. Honestly, that sort of unexpected sudden cash injection once the season has started creates a bigger headache than the numbers suggest, when you have a manager that is happy with a settled playing squad. We’ve already heard SG be vocal in playing squad areas of concern which have been addressed, I’m sure with his heavy input and agreement.

Times have moved on a little from the last AGM. Only a short 8 months or so later and Morelos is spitting the dummy out about not getting a move and that’s after everyone’s patience has been sorely tested with him one way or another. That changes the equation. He’s never hidden the fact he wants to go and play in a more competitive league (I always read that as “earn even more so I can get a better Lamborghini than my wages allow at Rangers and give more to my foundation back home.”) He gets all excited about his big money move, then the rug is pulled. He then had a choice to get his head down and work for his move but decided to work his ticket. For his lack of respect, lack of gratitude and for the sake of his team mates, he’s out and playing with the kids. The right management approach and one Walter would be proud of. This is Rangers, come back when you’ve remembered that or get your agent, who filled your head with this, to dig you out.

Back to the Dave King interview after the last AGM. The importance of “Morelos” then, can be easily substituted for “Kent” now.
We have been led to believe Kent is a different player who holds different values and appreciates what the Rangers family have done for him. He’s grounded, feels wanted, loved, is very settled and is highly motivated here with us. He sees progress in himself and progress in the team overall. He’s developing well and quickly, wants to succeed with us, wants European nights AND we don’t want to or have to sell. It might come as a surprise but money isn’t the sole motivator for every player. Kent has his head screwed on AND his heart in the right place. The board ( who are answerable to major shareholders like Dave King) clearly want to keep the club on a relatively even financial keel and support the playing team manager to succeed. Two clear priorities. Have they been met? A resounding yes on both counts from a board and shareholder perspective.

Now can you imagine selling Morelos AND Kent.....the phone call to our major shareholder to say “Good news Dave, you know that squad the manager was happy with? Yeah Alfie has been a bit of a naughty boy, but get this. We’ve decided to sell him and one of the other best players as well! It’s unlikely we’ll be able to attract similar standard players for the money we got, but hey it’s a nice profit. I know our retail ops are sorted and I know we have better sponsors and I know we have loads of coin coming from season tickets and our European run but hey, we needed more for the stability of the club and that, who, as you said 8 months ago, are already in its best position in over 40 years with zero bank debt. Best of all, the tax man will be happy.......... Because we’ve done such a good job at cashing in most of our high value playing assets all at once Dave! So much so that we can’t spend it quick enough without total disruption to the playing squad our manager was already happy with! So the tax man gets some of it too!......Ok Dave, I’ll go back and see if they’ll keep their money and do it by stage payments over a few years instead. Oh and Dave, there’s some noise around offers for Barisic coming as well, hopefully we’ll get a few more million for him next week!

I bet Mr King, our saviour and major shareholder would be delighted eh?

Board will be tested with big offers? It’s in our business model? we’re a selling club?
Give me a break. It’s the easiest decisions they will ever make to say “Thanks for the memories Alfredo, (how much for one of our reserve players!?!?) and piss off to anyone who wants Kent. Or Barisic for that matter, we know he’s next up in the circus, so before you start, piss off. EVEN IF THE OFFERS ARE OBSCENE.”
You got rather excited in those last couple of paragraphs, didn't you? :D

For what it's worth, I believe Kent will stay with us at least until the end of the season. What the Leeds interest does though is put to bed any suggestion that we paid too much for him. It seems like a lot of money but will prove to have been a shrewd piece of business when he eventually leaves for a big profit. Exactly the type of business that we need to be doing on a regular basis.

Kent is the difference in winning the league he has scored 3 crucial goals already in the league,winner against Aberdeen and the 2nd goals against St Johnstone and Killie which takes the pressure right off.

Its funny, they bid 14 million for Kent and then looks like they gave up, then the alternatives are a 22 million valencia winger and a 40 million Leverkusen winger. We are obviously seen as soft touches.

They will have a valuation of every player m8.

Because they have 3 targets doesn't mean they think each player is worth the same fee.

Kent is the difference in winning the league he has scored 3 crucial goals already in the league,winner against Aberdeen and the 2nd goals against St Johnstone and Killie which takes the pressure right off.

Fully agree, he's pushed on again this season and will be massive for us.

There were a couple of things Ryan Kent did yesterday that showed why he’s so highly rated.

The first was the way he controlled and killed the high ball on his toes when bursting through on goal only to be thwarted by the keeper’s quick reactions, and the second was the way he jinked and twisted around in dragging the Kilmarnock defence all over the place to create the opening for his vicious curling shot that was only denied by a brilliant save from the keeper.

Both of those moments of magic and his composed finish for our second illustrated a really superior talent that, if he continues in this vein of form, is only going to be worth a lot more to us this time next summer.

The way he cut inside, outside then back inside again in one movement is the sort of thing that’s beyond any of our other players.

He’d be harder to replace than Morelos. Not that I underrate Morelos to be clear, but any striker should be getting 20-ish goals a season with the chances we normally create, I personally see the making of the chances as the harder job.

Back