The Sun talking about Ryan Jack for Scotland

PLAYERS have decided to Jack in the Scotland team every other month recently.

But as high-profile team-mates went AWOL, one man has continued to turn up for duty.

Jack in action against CyprusCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
In Cyprus Ryan Jack's commitment was rewarded with a top display in a rare Scotland away win.

There were times when the Rangers midfielder probably wondered if international football was worth all the effort.

Booed on his debut by Scotland fans two years ago, Jack hasn't had it easy since either.

He's been in outstanding form with his club - but has been overlooked at this level amid a glut of midfield options.

Jack and John McGinn celebrateCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
Steve Clarke finally gave him his chance in Cyprus and the 27-year-old produced a mature, understated performance.

The Scotland boss has about a dozen players competing in that central area but has been searching for the right formula.

On this showing, the Old Firm alliance of Jack and Callum McGregor could be the best pairing of them all.

They dovetailed superbly in the middle and allowed John McGinn to go on the rampage like only he can.

Jack has the experience, discipline and positional sense to complement McGregor. He can also play a bit.

Just take a look at the reverse pass to his Celtic rival to set Scotland away for Ryan Christie's opener.

It took out half the Cyprus midfield and summed up how far his game has come under Steven Gerrard.

Jack also plugged gaps in a way no other Scotland player really has since Scott Brown's time in that role.

Steve Clarke applauds travelling supportCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
And with a defence as shaky as Scotland's, that is a priceless insurance policy to have.

Jack was excellent but he wasn't alone as we finally got to really see Clarke's influence on the team.

The shape was good, there was balance and Christie and McGinn were clinical with goals in either half.

Cyprus were out to make history by finishing third but Scotland - minus half a team - secured a much-needed win.

The Tartan Army loved it. They are a long-suffering bunch but this trip was hardly a slog for the diehards.

There are a lot worse places to spend a few days in November than sunny Cyprus.

Around 3000 punters travelled over and soaked up the rays in Nicosia and Larnaca.

It was 22 degrees at kick-off, with the sun bathing the away end behind one goal at the GSP stadium.

Christie after opening the scoringCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
They had arrived hours early and weren't shy in getting stuck in to cans of the local Keo lager outside.

When the stadium DJ put on a raved-up version Zorba the Greek, the dancing started too.

Cyprus striker George Efrem also showed off his snake hips with a slaloming run into the box.

His shot crashed off the underside of the bar and crossed the line. It was clear to everyone - apart from the ref.

There wasn't any goalline technology or VAR but hapless Austrian Harald Lechner shouldn't have needed help.

That hopeless call set the tone for a blundering, baffling display full of bizarre decisions for both teams.

Callum McGregor got a ridiculous booking for trying to kick a stray ball off the pitch - and hitting the matchball.

Cyprus hardman Jason Demetriou then somehow dodged a red for aiming a kick at Greg Taylor.

CYPRUS 1 SCOTLAND 2 John McGinn and Ryan Christie secure Euro qualifying win

How Lechner ended up on the Uefa list is a total mystery. He was completely out of his depth.

Not that Scotland were complaining about the phantom goal. It was a lucky break and they took advantage.

Christie's wonderful strike finished off a slick, incisive move involving Jack, McGregor and McGinn.

It was classy stuff and showcased everything that can be good about this Scotland team.

The second goal was another patient and inventive attack, ending with McGinn guiding a shot into the corner.

Clarke has so many attacking options middle to front. What he needs is a focal point at No9.

Steven Naismith has the quality and experience to be that man. You just worry about his fitness.

Named captain on his 50th cap, the Hearts man lasted an hour before going off injured.

It was worrying to see him pick up yet another knock - as he'd made his presence felt.

most read

RIVAL SUPPORT

Wrexham fans troll Rangers with Celtic scarves and banner at Ibrox

Exclusive
SAM'S THE MAN
Stoke City eyeing January transfer swoop for Aberdeen star Sam Cosgrove

Exclusive
SPEAKING OUT
Rangers to 'consider best course of action' after claim HMRC 'blundered'

WHO'S WHO
Full list of Rangers' 276 Oldco creditors who've received just 3.91p in the pound

MATCH RATINGS
Scotland players rated as Steve Clarke's side pick up victory over Cyprus

'Are you ready?'
Gers and Celtic fans bombard HMRC after taxman asks for 'general queries'

Moaning, pointing, cajoling and being an all-round nuisance to Cyprus, this was vintage Naismith.

As Scotland players celebrated the first goal, he made a beeline for the defenders to raise an issue.

Clarke needs leaders like him and let's pray is body holds up to make him available for the play-offs.

Defence remains the big issue for the Scotland boss, although Liam Palmer now looks a find at right-back.

In the middle, Declan Gallagher won his first cap and stood up well in a calm performance.

The big Motherwell man has had a tough road to get to this stage - professionally and personally.

Gallagher's past is well documented but he's focused on the future he didn't look out of place in a Scotland trip.

Beside him, Scott McKenna had a mixed night and the Aberdeen defender still has those rough edges.

He will never struggle physically but some extra composure would make a helluva difference to his game.

Exhibit A was the Cyprus equaliser. McKenna took a heavy touch and then committed a needless foul.

The free-kick was popped in, only half-cleared and Efrem finally got the goal he deserved.

There were a few other scares and you get the feeling those games in March could be a defensive rollercoaster.

All the more reason to keep a switched-on Jack in front of the back four for extra protection.

Clarke got his tactics right today, for once.

Having either McGregor or Christie come inside off the left will allow Robertson to bomb on down the left once he comes back. Jack provides the platform, McGinn provides the dynamism.

You can see how it could all come together. He should stick with that setup for now.

I caught some of the match and Jack was a standout. Scotland are garbage though and Cyprus could easily have won the match!

As i mentioned in the match thread I dont think Jack went out of second gear. He was calm and composed but didnt look like he broke a sweat.

Reactions: dmg
Any media being positive about our players is good news.

Jack will continue to improve if he plays regular international football.

For me that is the most balanced midfield out of the options available.

The main problems for Scotland are the centre backs and the reliance on Naismith as the only striker capable at that level

I caught some of the match and Jack was a standout. Scotland are garbage though and Cyprus could easily have won the match!

he really wasn’t. I thought he was distinctly average. this was due to him being played in the holding role, which we all not know isn’t his best position.

A positive story concerning Rangers from the sun for once, then they went and ruined it with this bit...

Yep, I am thinking I must have developed a severe case of amnesia because I can’t remember that unprecedented period of stunning success enjoyed by Scotland with ‘Broony’ anchoring the midfield!

He was average at best and pretty anonymous at his worst, Jack is twice the player. Lego eater has been the least opposed filth captain in the history of Scottish football and I suspect when the filth’s dominance is vanquished in May his age will be wheeled out as an excuse!

Yep, I am thinking I must have developed a severe case of amnesia because I can’t remember that unprecedented period of stunning success enjoyed by Scotland with ‘Broony’ anchoring the midfield!

He was average at best and pretty anonymous at his worst, Jack is twice the player. Lego eater has been the least opposed filth captain in the history of Scottish football and I suspect when the filth’s dominance is vanquished in May his age will be wheeled out as an excuse!
Let's not allow the facts to get in the way of the Scott Brown myth.

Finally Scotland’s midfield looked a cohesive unit and it’s because we ditched the overrated EPL mince like McTominay for players who are actually performing week-in week-out. Europe has showed we’ve got some talent between us and the Scum and we’d be better off sticking with these players rather than the middle of the road EPL players who get picked on the basis of the league they play in.

A positive story concerning Rangers from the sun for once, then they went and ruined it with this bit...
Feckin hell some folk on here can never be happy.

What the feck is negative about that? The mere mention of Celtic or their players get the uber staunch nickers in a wee twist?

Everyone and their dug could see that Jack was a national replacement/upgrade for Brown, apart from those in the halls of the SFA. It really is not surprise that they won a game when you actually play the best players in their best positions.

Cyprus were very unlucky to get nothing out of the game.

Scotland were dire and were hanging on for dear life

Leaving aside any ambivalence I have towards the National team I am pleased for Jack.

It is also a good indicator of our continued rise back to where we belong.

We now have a team of international quality players. (save the English boys, who would be capped if they were from most of their team mates countries)

I actually couldn't give a monkeys if Ryan Jack is favourably considered to Broony9 or not...the fact is, against all the opposition from the Tranny Army and indeed their poxy manager (who, let's be honest, would rather pick ANYONE but a Rangers player) he played a blinder!
I bet my bottom dollar that the fact he played so well stuck in the craw of both the manager and our "fantastically supportive" Tranny Army.
Well done Ryan for actually agreeing to play for a team where you're so obviously disregarded and shoving it down their throats by putting in a great performance!

Jack and McGinn are both really good midfielders.

It's no surprise that Scotland won against the mighty footballing nation known as Cyprus.

Back