The support need to back the team more-yesterday was dire.

I am certainly not condoning folk screaming abuse, however, the players and management need to understand starting a game against dross like Livingston in that fashion is not acceptable. Lack of urgency, loose side to side passing is not conducive to a good atmosphere.

Get at them, get the ball forward early, force them back and show that we are up for it.
So what you're saying is 'gerritupehpark'?

We should have been 2 up after 12 minutes. Where's the lack of urgency in that?

Another thing that does my head is people blurting out every thought that runs through their head.
One from yesterday from boys that sit behind me.
In the lead up to BB's goal they were screaming for him to get wide, up to the point of hysterical screaching as he stayed central. He gets the ball and scores. It was as if they'd forgot they were screaming at him for 'stupidly' staying central.
There were a few similar moments throughout the game. Some people are best to keep their thoughts to themselves.

Football is just like most entertainment industries, if a shit comedian comes on no one laughs,pish singer the same. I know football is different but we still need entertained so when it went the way it did first half most people's natural reaction is to get anxious. The pressure is on the fan's as well to stop the mhanks
Unless the comedian or singer is your mate then it's very unlikely you'd refer to yourself as a supporter of them though.

We're supposed to be a support, not an audience.

A while?

Attended my first game with my old man 63.

Started going with my mates 72.

It's always been the same.

What I will say is it got a bit worse when 15k Johnny come latelys appeared from nowhere in 86.

You're calling guys who have been going to the games for 33 years "Johnny come latelys"? :))

There's not really the UB made no difference yesterday to the toxic atmosphere that's one aspect.

They actually weren't very loud in general-they might try their best and I get that but there have been incidents in signing that has led the club into trouble that came from their area...might not be them but started over in that section.

The point I was making is that the atmosphere at Ibrox out with playing them (and a few European games) is dire at best and toxic at worst most of the time, has been for years and a few weeks ago some folk on here wanted to get rid of the very bears that are sometimes the only positive atmosphere there.

Can we stop looking for excuses for the players, please? They're 'professionals', they are treated very well by the club, they have first-class training facilities and EPL-level trainers/physios, the play in the best ground in the country, they're very well paid and they have a top-class line manager who has their back.
They're asked to give their all for 90 minutes a week, 180 whist we're in Europe.
It's not too much too ask.

Last edited:
We’re not any different to any other support in the uk when things aren’t going our way.

Wish we’d lay of the people who pay money to go watch Rangers.

The players are paid handsomely to entertain them. If they’re not entertained then they’re within their rights to complain.
And THIS is exactly why the atmosphere and support for the team at Ibrox is so poor.

Give me away days any day. The attitude for Ibrox is to sit back as if you are at the cinema watching a film. It's unbelievable.

You're calling guys who have been going to the games for 33 years "Johnny come latelys"? :))

They were in 86. I had the Bròomie rear to myself in the early eighties. All the other stands were half full. Lucky if we got 25k for a sheep game and on one memorable occasion we could not sell out for the papes.

I did wonder when this thread would show up and it’s sooner than I thought.

The team hasn’t been playing well at all and after the shit the bed performance against that mob the fans imo were expecting the team to be all out guns blazing and they weren’t that’s why the stadium was quiet because we all knew with the way we started the game it was a banana skin and the league was done if we didn’t comeback so a lot will be nerves too.

The players have got to set the tempo the stadium will react accordingly.

SG has mentioned it so many times and dropped so many hints for us to get our act together in the stands and give proper backing to the team.

I feel his frustration.

I said before start of season that every point dropped, every stray ball etc will be met with howls of derision from the stands esp come March/April if we are 3/6 points behind. Huge pressure on the team at home

They were in 86. I had the Bròomie rear to myself in the early eighties. All the other stands were half full. Lucky if we got 25k for a sheep game and on one memorable occasion we could not sell out for the papes.

I was there, and whether it was then or now, 15,000 or 50,000 it's still the same.
Support the team, it's really no hard.

Folk seem to be missing the point here I think

It’s up to the fans to get the team going not the other way about. We support the team.
You support the team when they’re needing it most,
You can’t just sing and praise when they’re winning
Gerrard thinks the atmosphere is garbage and that’s a fact

I'm not doubting you but how do you know that?

Between now and may 2021 we are in a bubble and we have to accept that. It’s all about stopping 10. Everything else is on the back burner because we are all so tense about it. Even if they get 10. It will be hell but the club will be able to re focus on the issues like fan exp, catering etc. Any money we have has to go on the team and tbf to the board we spent a lot on Kent. Once we have that first trophy after 2012 that will help most relax as well. Until then I can’t see the moaning, the abuse, the lack of atmosphere will not change. We are desperate and it’s only worse they are getting treble trebles closing in on 10 and other records that have never been done before. Let’s win the league cup and go from there

Love attending matches, go there with the sole purpose of supporting the team. Not the greatest performance yesterday, but never considered booing the team of at half time - just don't get how that positively impacts on the team's performance.

Accepted a long time ago that many in our support have little interest in offering encouragement when the team are struggling. Actually witnessed one so called fan leave after 12 minutes yesterday, proudly signalling he was of to the pub. You'll never change people like this, nor those who leave early every week just to beat the queues - I look forward to the match for days, sure as hell not leaving till final whistle.

Yesterday's win was a hard fought 3 points, which was crucial. Buzzing for Thursday, fully intend coming home hoarse just like Legia. Get a positive result, build momentum and make this a season to remember.

Personally, I'll continue to ignore those doom and gloom merchants who offer nothing by way of encouragement to the team. They are vastly outnumbered by those amongst us who back the team to be as successful as possible.

Roll on Thursday!

Standing up and squealing at every missed place pass is the mark of a fanny. I don't care if he's paid for a ticket; he's a fanny.

I said people are within their right to complain - I never said they’re allowed to do what they want.

A guy shouting at screaming is a pr*ck.

Ibrox being like a morgue when we’re not playing well is understandable.

Maybe you should think about this.

If I expect the best from the players maybe I can offer something positive back to the team.

Maybe your mantra if we are the people and we can't contribute something positive maybe we should go and support someone else?

Maybe your condescending, patronising advice on how to support my team of a very long time can fvck right off.

To be clear. I have never screamed abuse at a Rangers player. I go to the games with my 2 kids and would never lower myself to do so.

All that aside, beat Livingston convincingly without a Hallmark card to consider your feelings for days afterwards.

Or, as I said, don’t play for Rangers.

Simple.

I agree the atmosphere was terrible yesterday, I think half the problem is that when teams like Livingston, Hamilton, etc bring 50 fans then we have no one to sing against (so unless the team are playing well then it's much easier to feel the negative)

That's why you want to play Aberdeen, hearts, hibs

I cannot attend weekend games due to my circumstances but try make every midweek game that i can. So i am normally at every Euro game, my experience at those games depends on who has bought tickets around me or who already sits there. I always land more often than not beside alot of people who dont like the fact i join in with the singing going around the stadium. I havent went to the last few for those reasons alone, i dont think i am doing any harm just joining in and trying to raise an atmosphere or even just support the team. But that is what it has become for me, like a morgue that alot of fans just want to sit quiet and watch the game with no singing, like they would get in the house watching on tv.

When i used to go to every game with a squad of lads we could normally get a few in any section to sing along or we even just joined in with anyone who did. But far to many just want to watch the game in peace. Which really is fine but do you have to judge the people who want to vocally support the team? I dont judge you for not joining in so why judge me for doing it?

I notice at the start of games a good few around me joining in for a sing and by the 20th min they have all stopped because of the type of people sitting around the section. All those judgemental eyes or even just moaning about it kills off most lads vocally trying to raise the team.

I understand the passion, I get the desire to see success and I fully understand the play can be frustrating at times.

However what's the point of berating individuals from the kick off and moaning and groaning through 90 mins?

It is at epidemic proportions and around me yesterday in the Main Stand there was everything from disagreements as Bears tried to get frankly idiots to give it a rest to scuffles where stewards were called.

We can't win games for the team but we don't need to make it harder for them. Nobody expects everyone to be happy clappy and we can all at times get frustrated and vocalise it but for 90 mins, constantly?

Yesterday was dire it would put you off going and I fear it will only get worse. People need to grow up and ask themselves what good are they doing?
The collective groans have to be stilled.
But it is a thing for individual discipline.
Difficult perhaps, but at the end of the day, the support are there for positive reasons and supporting the team has to be a matter for positivity.

It is actually a matter for every individual inside Ibrox to find within themselves the mental steel to get behind the players and the team and the management staff even as events on the field are not going our way.
Easier said than done, but if we demand the players to look inside themselves and find that extra telling per cent, then why should we not ask the same from ourselves?
The support can change matches because often it is the backing of the support that enables the players to more easily find that extra per cent that we demand.

The Rangers support can do this, but we have to begin to change our own individual mindsets and thus that will itself inevitably change the collective.

Rangers expect that every man woman and child will do their duty.

SG has mentioned it so many times and dropped so many hints for us to get our act together in the stands and give proper backing to the team.

I feel his frustration.

I agree with this, guys around me were shouting about gerrard not leaving his seat yesterday and hiding etc. I noticed he never left seat for goals except morelos, could be because of thencrowds reaction or maybe generally he wasn’t happy at performance, however in interview he said we played well second half. He constantly gets asked about the support as though we are the best around when frankly our home support is terrible, he must be fed up giving soundbites about the crowd when he probably thinks the opposite, he has been quoted saying “we lost the crowd” in interviews, sadly if we aren’t winning by first ten mins at home then the team generally loses the crowd

I don't think I ever once, back in the 70's and 80's, hear anybody pissing and moaning in the pub about the support pissing and moaning at the ground, and I remember the players getting dog's abuse regularly. Maybe the poor wee souls can dip into their 10-20k a week pay packets and buy some handy handies if it's traumatizing them that much (which I doubt).

We’re not any different to any other support in the uk when things aren’t going our way.

Wish we’d lay of the people who pay money to go watch Rangers.

The players are paid handsomely to entertain them. If they’re not entertained then they’re within their rights to complain.

This is a total cop out. Fans have their part to play, a good atmosphere helps the team so if its a ‘supporters’ plan to go to the football and act like an arsehole toward the team until they do something to please them then they’d be better off keeping their money and not going at all.

Some prick in front of me in gf keeps blaming Alfie for everything. Constantly calling him “the wee shite”, even when he’s on the ground after another bad tackle he calls for “the wee shite” to get up. Perhaps not me but one or two of the bears I’m with will have a word with him one of these days. He is seriously asking for trouble. We need to back our team more but we do react to exciting and free flowing football. If we are constantly over passing and going backwards then there is less to shout about.

The board are the biggest thing holding us back from having a standing section.

Theres a few reasons for this a lot of the people who want a standing section dont remember the Ibrox disaster or werent born its the reason we had an all seater stadium before most of the uk if not the one of the first.

The standing section is muted for union bears but they dont help the case with song choices and petulant statements - now the current song issue is not all their fault but theres an element in the UBs that will sing what they want as the is the rest of stadium.

Its a balance there needs to be proper engagement between the board and UBs and there needs to be the a relaxing of attitudes on the boards side but also on the UBs to take responsibility for their actions.

Wither it will help the atmosphere i don't know it's always been the same under Smith some games x are like watching paint dry when teams come and sit in.

We in a way were soiled coming up through the divisions as the at that point there w generally always goals and something to get the crowd going with no pressure of nine in a row coming

Theres a few reasons for this a lot of the people who want a standing section dont remember the Ibrox disaster or werent born its the reason we had an all seater stadium before most of the uk if not the one of the first.

The standing section is muted for union bears but they dont help the case with song choices and petulant statements - now the current song issue is not all their fault but theres an element in the UBs that will sing what they want as the is the rest of stadium.

Its a balance there needs to be proper engagement between the board and UBs and there needs to be the a relaxing of attitudes on the boards side but also on the UBs to take responsibility for their actions.

Wither it will help the atmosphere i don't know it's always been the same under Smith some games x are like watching paint dry when teams come and sit in.

We in a way were soiled coming up through the divisions as the at that point there w generally always goals and something to get the crowd going with no pressure of nine in a row coming

Sorry, but using the Ibrox disaster in argument against safe standing is very poor. It's not even close to the same thing. In fact,there is probably more chance of crushing and injuries in an all seated stadium than a safe standing one.

Complete hypocrisy to be frank.

Expect the best from others but I can do what the fuuck I want?

Aye very good.

A nonsense argument.

If I paid for a ticket for the theatre or for a comedy club and started hurling abuse at the entertainers I'd be ejected. Doesn't matter that I've paid for a ticket.

You've been going to watch Rangers for longer than me big fella. These types have always been at Ibrox. I sat as a kid and watched some of the best players I've ever seen in a Rangers Jersey be subjected to abuse every other week, labelled shitebags etc etc.

The guy further up the thread alluding to the psychological aspect of these guys lives in general is spot on. I've no doubt these guys live unhappy lives away from Ibrox and Ibrox is just a place for them to vent some frustration and let steam off on a Saturday.

The Away support is the polar opposite, they get behind the team for 90 minutes.

At Ibrox people seem to turn up, sit back and expect to be entertained. If we don’t score immediately then every c*nt is useless.
I actually enjoy away games more which is sad should enjoy Ibrox more

The atmosphere in European games is the polar opposite. Why is that? Is it different people than who turn up on the Saturday?

Atmosphere against Legia was woeful also.

The atmosphere at home games as long as we are playing catch up to the tims and aren’t winning it’s going to very impatient, hostile and not comfortable to play in if we aren’t playing well.

People are fed up of handing that mob titles I can understand the justification at the moaning yesterday. Tav looks half the player without candyman, ojo hasn’t got a right foot. Aribo doesn’t know what turning forward and looking for a pass and I think Scott Arfield has been shockingly poor for at least 4 games in a row now.

It’s terrifyingly worrying our individual and team form at the moment.

Atmosphere against Legia was woeful also.

The atmosphere at home games as long as we are playing catch up to the tims and aren’t winning it’s going to very impatient, hostile and not comfortable to play in if we aren’t playing well.

People are fed up of handing that mob titles I can understand the justification at the moaning yesterday. Tav looks half the player without candyman, ojo hasn’t got a right foot. Aribo doesn’t know what turning forward and looking for a pass and I think Scott Arfield has been shockingly poor for at least 4 games in a row now.

It’s terrifyingly worrying our individual and team form at the moment.
I’ll await abuse but over the course of the season we aren’t good enough to win the league.

Yes to an extent - but the crowd tend to follow the way the game is going - saturday was brutal to watch and had it been on the TV and involved any other team than Rangers - chances are i would have turned it off.

Its a 2 way street - fans feed of the play on the park and the play on the park feeds off the fans.

Between now and may 2021 we are in a bubble and we have to accept that. It’s all about stopping 10. Everything else is on the back burner because we are all so tense about it. Even if they get 10. It will be hell but the club will be able to re focus on the issues like fan exp, catering etc. Any money we have has to go on the team and tbf to the board we spent a lot on Kent. Once we have that first trophy after 2012 that will help most relax as well. Until then I can’t see the moaning, the abuse, the lack of atmosphere will not change. We are desperate and it’s only worse they are getting treble trebles closing in on 10 and other records that have never been done before. Let’s win the league cup and go from there

No stench at all about this post.

I understand the passion, I get the desire to see success and I fully understand the play can be frustrating at times.

However what's the point of berating individuals from the kick off and moaning and groaning through 90 mins?

It is at epidemic proportions and around me yesterday in the Main Stand there was everything from disagreements as Bears tried to get frankly idiots to give it a rest to scuffles where stewards were called.

We can't win games for the team but we don't need to make it harder for them. Nobody expects everyone to be happy clappy and we can all at times get frustrated and vocalise it but for 90 mins, constantly?

Yesterday was dire it would put you off going and I fear it will only get worse. People need to grow up and ask themselves what good are they doing?

Shshhhhhhh your not allowed to say that

The gaffer constantly mentions the need for a passionate crowd and tries pretty much every week to tell the fans to liven up Ibrox.

Something really needs done. Attending Ibrox shouldn't be a chore, enjoy it while you're there, get a party atmosphere going and go home with a smile on your face.

It really is chronic at times and OP is spot on

Back