The 'tense' Steven Gerrard look worrying Rangers hero Brian Laudrup as he shares his key concern

BlueMeanie

The Rangers legend also believes the trip to face Motherwell on Sunday will have a big say in their season.

Brian Laudrup believes Rangers' biggest game of the season is on the horizon when they travel to Fir Park to take on Motherwell.
And he reckons it will give a big clue on whether Rangers are capable of going the distance with Celtic in the Premiership after they dropped points against Hibs on Sunday.
The 2-2 thriller means they've won just three away games in 2020 with four draws and three defeats in the other seven away matches in the calendar year.
Rangers legend Laudrup admits he was a bit concerned when the Sky Sports camera panned to Steven Gerrard on the bench as the Ibrox side passed up a host of gilt-edged chances,

In his column for the Daily Mail, he said: "My old club haven't even lost a game yet this time around. Overall, they have made a positive start, but they have to show they can find the clinical - almost cynical - edge that is required to get the job done over 38 games when you are under intense scrutiny every single week. It's something they need to prove to themselves as much as to people on the outside.
"That's why it is of huge importance that they go and get three points on Sunday against a Motherwell side enjoying a big upswing in results.

"Anything else and all the old talk and doubts will be brought up again. The pressure on them will get stronger and stronger. Momentum is critical when you are trying to make a trophywinning breakthrough and Rangers can't afford to lose theirs.

"Rangers have to make sure they respond. That's simply the nature of a title race. As I said, Sunday wasn't any kind of disaster. But they didn't get over the line despite having the chances to do so. Ryan Kent was one-on-one and could have scored should have scored to make it 3-1. At 2-2, there was the huge double chance for Scott Arfield.
"Mistakes were also made defensively and that is perhaps a wake-up call after the clean-sheet record because Hibs provided the biggest attacking threat Rangers have faced in a domestic game this season.
"The issue for Rangers, though, was the absence of that edge to secure the points. It's something they need to correct quickly.

"How can that be done? To be honest, it happens through making results and winning trophies. If you don't, there is a vicious circle you have to break.
"You could see it at Easter Road.
"I looked at Gerrard when the camera panned to the bench. Even at 2-1 up, he looked tense, like: "Just get me that third goal".
"But that goal never came and they ended up drawing another match away from home. Here we go again. You can see that, at times, on the faces of some players and the management team. But you can't just flick a switch to escape from it.
"Only results can provide a release valve. Again, that's why I think it is really a massive game against Motherwell.
"It could be crucial in terms of whether we are talking about a pattern here or not."

The only way to overcome the mentality issue is to stumble over the line for a trophy, no matter how ugly. Let's say we were lucky and got the winning goal at the weekend, psychologically that would have been a great boost for us and would comfort the team going forward. Every deflating result like that stacks up in the players minds. Its amazing because even new players fresh into the environment will begin to feel the same pressure of collapse if we do it as much as 2 or 3 more times this year.

I look at Liverpool 2 years ago, top until xmas then fire blanks with 3 draws after xmas. Fast forward a year and city were so bad that liverpool were out in front - before you know it they now have the "winning mentality"

Spot on from God the same mistakes and same players will cost Gerrard his job this season we have to hope that any new manager isn’t taken in by them also because imo Gerrard has laid the groundwork for us to be successful he just can’t get the job finished.

I said it before Sunday’s game, we have been poor away from home again, Aberdeen 1-0, Livi 0-0, Hamilton 2-0, Hibs 2-2, the plus side is, the filth have to go to all these grounds where it’s difficult to win.

We've got an absolutely massive game before Motherwell on Thursday and we need to be a 100% focused on that first and foremost.

The financial consequences of losing that game would mean players having to be sold and a weakened squad going forward.

Gerrard needs two wins out of two or he's under pretty serious pressure with less than a quarter of the season gone.

3 wins from 10 away games is a damming statistic, one which partly explains why the filth were running away with the title.

To have 3 tricky away games this season and already fail to win 2 of them is very worrying.

Sunday is already do or die, anything less than 3 points will leave Gerrard with huge questions to answer.

If we don’t learn to score the third killer goal in games , we won’t win anything. Laudrup knows the score . We haven’t managed three goals yet in an away game this season . While there’s one or two in it teams can always come back . We let them back into games time and again .

For the first time this season we made a couple of defensive mistakes.

However we are making far more mistakes at the other end of the pitch - that's what cost us at Livi and then again on Sunday.

Failure to be clinical in our finishing has cost us before and it continues to cost us. Frustrating beyond belief.

Its a fine line to win the league and a lot forget that.
Too many draws and the games a bogey.
I noticed him slumped in the dug out with the worry in the face.
I think that transfers to the players confidence .
Can you imagine wee dick, souness or walter sitting like that.

I'd play Laudrup and Gerrard in our team now and they would more than hold their own !!

2020 and Steven Davis and Scott Arfield (even with our injury situation) are starting in our first eleven - that's not progress in any way, shape or form.
They're back up. We've got a bit of an injury crisis right now. Edit never saw the injury part in brackets.

This team needs to get nasty and needs to get an edge about themselves. Starting at the presser on Friday telling everyone how bad the officials have been and how little or no action is being taken regarding their incompetence in games. On Sunday we need to start being physical and match Motherwell.

I can see us winning comfortably on Sunday, motherwell have a difficult away trip in Europe which will help.

Regardless of the result on Sunday there is still a clear pattern. When teams put everyone behind the ball we struggle and in the big away games we seem incapable of grinding out results when the games are close.

Gerrard said previously he needs to recruit leadership and winning mentality and I don’t think this has been addressed with our signings so far.

3 points a must but people need to also remember that we're missing some pretty important players just now. Bit of a nightmare. If we had those players I reckon we'd have beaten Hibs no problem.

I think the difference is Laudrup has given his opinion once and not repeated himself close to 100 times over the space of a few days.

It's a football forum, what do you expect?

Same talk over and over again. Just so happens our performances and results are pretty consistent in how they pan out.

We’ve lost points in half our away games already, yet we’ll still have people telling us everything’s fine if we drop points again on Sunday.

We still don’t have the squad for continual Thursday/Sunday games IMO.

I am sick of this teams naivety

the same stupid mistakes over and over

the manager was a winner when it gets to 70 minutes gone and your in front you don’t play wee flick passes 30 yards from your own goal

goldson should be dropped and I’d drop helander as well for being powder puff

sick of the fucking sight of them still absolutely raging with the pair of them for that shambles for the 2nd goal

and notwithstanding the fact we won’t call our officials who cheat is every week

Because of dropped points at Livi and Hivs, we are only in September, yet Sunday is an absolute must win.

We have a habit of making things difficult for ourselves.

Have this team got it in them to deliver, having failed so often previously ? Concerning.

The team have brought this pressure on themselves with a Jekyll and Hyde performance on Sunday, good in parts (plenty of excellent goalscoring chances created), bad in parts (dreadful finishing coupled with sloppy defending).

Let's hope we go into Sunday on a high after a positive result in Holland on Thursday. If not, the pressure will be ratcheted up a further notch and anything other than a win at Fir Park could prove catastrophic.

Pressure is always around at Ibrox with the need to win, win, win always there. Even during our trophy laden times the pressure was there, the big difference then was that we had a squad of winners who could handle it as they had been over the course many times before.

This lack of winners, this lack of experience in our current squads downfall, the weight of expectation seems to be too much and as soon as any pressure is applied, they invariably fail.

I genuinely believe we have a good squad of talented players but perhaps not battle hardened enough to cope with the pressue of the OF bubble. SG did hinted during lockdown he wanted to sign 2 or 3 winners, experienced players who would be automatic starters but, unless I've missed something, he hasn't rectified this shortcoming he acknowledges we have.

The two draws to Livi and Hibs are just a continuation of the costly dropped points we have left scattered over the previous two seasons. Even this early in the season, as a glass half-empty bluenose, my pessimism has kicked in and I see this season following along the lines of the previous two.

Last edited:
The team have brought this pressure on themselves with a Jekyll and Hyde performance on Sunday, good in parts (plenty of excellent goalscoring chances created), bad in parts (dreadful finishing coupled with sloppy defending).

Let's hope we go into Sunday on a high after a positive result in Holland on Thursday. If not, the pressure will be ratcheted up a further notch and anything other than a win at Fir Park could prove catastrophic.

Pressure is always around at Ibrox with the need to win, win, win always there. Even during our trophy laden times the pressure was there, the big difference then was that we had a squad of winners who could handle it as they had been over the course many times before.

This lack of winners this lack of experience is our current squads downfall, the weight of expectation seems to be too much and as soon as any pressure is applied, they invariably fail.

I genuinely believe we have a good squad of talented players but perhaps not battle hardened enough to cope with the pressue of the OF bubble. SG did hinted during lockdown he wanted to sign 2 or 3 winners, experienced players who would be automatic starters but, unless I've missed something, he hasn't rectified this shortcoming he acknowledges we have.

The two draws to Livi and Hibs are just a continuation of the costly dropped points we have left scattered over the previous two seasons. Even this early in the season, as a glass half-empty bluenose, my pessimism has kicked in and I see this season following along the lines of the previous two.

I honestly think I’d go into Sunday with a bit more optimism if we put in a good performance but go out against Willem II, as horrendously backwards as that sounds.

I’ve never said it during Gerrard’s time here, but being able to focus only on domestic football for this one season and this one season only would be massive for us.

This lack of winners, this lack of experience in our current squads downfall, the weight of expectation seems to be too much and as soon as any pressure is applied, they invariably fail.

Great post mate - nails it for me.

If we don’t learn to score the third killer goal in games , we won’t win anything. Laudrup knows the score . We haven’t managed three goals yet in an away game this season . While there’s one or two in it teams can always come back . We let them back into games time and again .
2 goals should and would have been enough if the officials had done their job properly and fairly on Sunday. That’s a fact.

2 goals should and would have been enough if the officials had done their job properly and fairly on Sunday. That’s a fact.

We all know the score with officials . We should still be picking up three points at places like Livingston , and until we do we aren’t winning anything .

He’s spot on. Individual mistakes, tactical mistakes (allowing our full hacks to continue to bomb forward even though we are winning), refereeing mistakes and a real lack of clinical finishing cost us on Sunday. It’s been the case since Gerrard came in that we cannot kill teams off, we have to finish our chances. We still lack real leadership in the middle and a right sided attacker. Our lack of width and out ball for me is another issue but that’s the way we play!

Big game on Sunday we simply cannot afford to lose more ground.

Or called for wholesale changes in the team that the week before were being lauded or wanting Gerrard replaced with Pochettino

No one has wanted Pochettino to replace Gerrard.

Even if one person mentioned it (they live on a different planet if it was said) it still doesn't make that the opinion of this forum.

This team needs to get nasty and needs to get an edge about themselves. Starting at the presser on Friday telling everyone how bad the officials have been and how little or no action is being taken regarding their incompetence in games. On Sunday we need to start being physical and match Motherwell.
I agree with what is needed but this team and management are way too soft.

Scum WILL 100% beat Aberdeen and so 3 points is a must regardless of style, passing, or lovely interchanges.

Saturday was like watching a re-run movie of the past two seasons that’s the worrying factor , as Laudrup says we need to grind results out if we are to win this league.
The principle character flaw in the side is casualness and complacency. If Sunday's equaliser had come out of the blue via some piece of brilliance or luck, then I could perhaps cut them some slack. The warning signs however were plain to see, McLaughlin with an over hit pass out to Goldson, the scramble in the 6 yard box, and our two full backs increasingly being exposed in 2 v 1 situations. Time to get the game heads back on, and full concentration you would hope. Not a bit of it, witness Goldson's ludicrously risky pass, and we know the rest.

Pretty much what everyone feels when we are in a bit of trouble in a game, Gerrard sitting slouched and out of ideas when he should be the one encouraging and barking orders to the players

Pretty much what everyone feels when we are in a bit of trouble in a game, Gerrard sitting slouched and out of ideas when he should be the one encouraging and barking orders to the players

It’s no surprise cast your mind back to last season he couldn’t and didn’t know how to stop our slump he even said as much in the post match interview at Hearts and Hamilton.

He has laid the groundwork for the next manager imo

It's clear that we need money from the Morelos transfer before we can strengthen much needed areas of the team. That's the reality.

We need to try and conclude a deal as soon as possible so we can all move on and so can we add to the team............before it's too late.

Back