The three reasons Rangers fans have fallen out of love with the Scotland national team

A week before the country's biggest game in years - the nation is buzzing - and some tit for the Daily Record writes a piece for rage clicks that stereotypes our support. Regardless of your thoughts on the national team, there are a lot - and i mean a lot - of Rangers fans who still follow them. You can't just paint us all in a broad stroke like that. The guy who wrote it would do well to remember that Rangers have provided more players than any other for the country and will continue to do so, now that normal service has been resumed. It's sad, because a lot of folk want us to give up on Scotland, and some play into their hands.

It's quite funny, because the same people who claim not to care about Scotland also never fail to miss an opportunity to tell us that. When you really don't care, you won't feel the need to mention it at all. You will instead act with a removed indifference, not writing about or clicking on the thread. Someone used the term pity party, and it's right. There's this bizarre urge for some fans to tell other fans how they feel about them. It's small time as f*ck.

"But the squad is filled with Rangers haters". Right. I must have missed McLaughlin, Hanley, Jack, Patterson, McLean, Gilmour, Fleck, McBurnie et al all being involved in recent times.
Stoped reading at the country is buzzing. Lol

mon the Czech Republic!

I'll have to be honest here, unfortunately.

For a support that likes to proclaim 'No Surrender' too many are content to raise the white flag, piss and moan all day long.

How our enemies would love nothing more than for Rangers fans en masse to permanently sit on the naughty step whining on internet forums or even disappear. Stop giving these people what they want.

For those who feel a disconnect with the Tartan Army (however you define them) - there are plenty wearing kilts who support us too, which is often overlooked in these debates. I know several who are Rangers and Scotland mad.

Moreover, I've travelled all over Europe with Rangers and I can tell you there are some in our parish who I wouldn't have much in common with other than wanting the team in blue to win. But I'll still be there, supporting my team and having a good time.

Stop letting the SNP, parochial half wits and fans of diddy teams on a jolly dictate how you feel about Scotland. Again, stop giving these people what they want.

We'll soon have plenty of players in the senior international set up, via the under-21s, so I reckon those of us feeling a bit lukewarm now have a great opportunity to reclaim our traditional relationship with Scotland.

The Rangers support should fear no-one, ever.

It's our country too. Rangers and Scotland.
F*ck the Scottish National football team. Happy to support Scotland in any other sport.

A week before the country's biggest game in years - the nation is buzzing - and some tit for the Daily Record writes a piece for rage clicks that stereotypes our support. Regardless of your thoughts on the national team, there are a lot - and i mean a lot - of Rangers fans who still follow them. You can't just paint us all in a broad stroke like that. The guy who wrote it would do well to remember that Rangers have provided more players than any other for the country and will continue to do so, now that normal service has been resumed. It's sad, because a lot of folk want us to give up on Scotland, and some play into their hands.

It's quite funny, because the same people who claim not to care about Scotland also never fail to miss an opportunity to tell us that. When you really don't care, you won't feel the need to mention it at all. You will instead act with a removed indifference, not writing about or clicking on the thread. Someone used the term pity party, and it's right. There's this bizarre urge for some fans to tell other fans how they feel about them. It's small time as f*ck.

"But the squad is filled with Rangers haters". Right. I must have missed McLaughlin, Hanley, Jack, Patterson, McLean, Gilmour, Fleck, McBurnie et al all being involved in recent times.
“the nation is buzzing”

:))

For a support that likes to proclaim 'No Surrender' too many are content to raise the white flag, piss and moan all day long.

How our enemies would love nothing more than for Rangers fans en masse to permanently sit on the naughty step whining on internet forums or even disappear. Stop giving these people what they want.

For those who feel a disconnect with the Tartan Army (however you define them) - there are plenty wearing kilts who support us too, which is often overlooked in these debates. I know several who are Rangers and Scotland mad.

Moreover, I've travelled all over Europe with Rangers and I can tell you there are some in our parish who I wouldn't have much in common with other than wanting the team in blue to win. But I'll still be there, supporting my team and having a good time.

Stop letting the SNP, parochial half wits and fans of diddy teams on a jolly dictate how you feel about Scotland. Again, stop giving these people what they want.

We'll soon have plenty of players in the senior international set up, via the under-21s, so I reckon those of us feeling a bit lukewarm now have a great opportunity to reclaim our traditional relationship with Scotland.

The Rangers support should fear no-one, ever.

It's our country too. Rangers and Scotland.
What do you do when the tartan tadgers around you at the games boo God Save The Queen?

I remember my brother in law, who’s English, washing his hands of England after the Wally with a brolly Croatia debacle and he said he stopped supporting them because “they were shit”. I thought that an odd reason to stop supporting your country and I would always support Scotland, were always shit, however, after 2012 I did a complete 180. I can’t stand the national team or their hateful bigoted resentful fans. I actively want them to get beaten by anyone and everyone.
I hope the fans are in tears and they are knocked out in the most extreme embarrassing way possible.

I remember Euro 2008 was the last time I'd ever been to Scotland games because back then that lot didn't boo players not caring that it isn't fucking club football.

Then they were just too busy booing Liechtenstein's national anthem I guess?

Might sound simplistic, but if we had more Rangers players in the Scotland team then we'd have more Rangers supporters getting behind the team again.
When I started going to Scotland games there was only one, Davie Cooper. Still felt the majority were bears even up to Scotland v England in 1989 when Mojo had 'signed' for the bheasts you could sense that many weren't joining in with any super Mo chants only for him to turn it around within weeks.
Ironically it was when Hampden was reopened (94??) after being 'refurbished' (cough) that I felt the bears were on the wane even though we had most of the Scotland team due to the 3 foreigner rule in Europe.
S'pose better roads and car ownership on the up and maybe even a shite Aberdeen side meant more teuchter's would go to Scotland games.

Some Scotland fans are dicks, but equally many Scotland fans must be bears.

Personally I wouldn’t let the dicks stop me supporting my country.

Some England fans boo taking the knee, others applaud, they all still support England. There are not many international supports where everyone shares the same politics and club allegiances, that should be left out of it but there’s always a noisy few that are incapable of it.

Granted these things are easier with Northern Ireland as the vast majority of the support is unionist and a large number will have a soft spot for Rangers if not Rangers supporters. But isn’t that how the Scotland support used to be? Why let that happen?

Different thing mate. You don't get people on match thread's saying "I hate rangers, don't support rangers, don't give a feck about rangers, hope rangers get beat"

That's what I was getting at.
That's true mate. My comparison doesn't really work.

Come on Scotland.
I was born and bred in Scotland and no-one or nothing will stop me supporting Scotland.
I genuinely feel sorry for the folks who are missing out on supporting Scotland during the Euros.
Clarke is doing a pretty good job he’s fashioned a defence out of very little and is introducing young players too.
I’m delighted for Patterson what an incredible opportunity for the lad. Fully deserved too.

McGregor was punished retrospectively for a challenge on Lewis Ferguson of Aberdeen in a Ladbrokes Premiership game at Pittodrie – a decision that prompted his Ibrox club to call for a review of a “flawed” disciplinary system.

The Scotland national team support was once heavily made-up of Rangers fans but that relationship has deteriorated over the past 30 years.

By
Jeff Holmes
  • 08:49, 8 JUN 2021
  • UPDATED09:20, 8 JUN 2021

'One man scores four; four men score one!’

The headline stuck out like a sore thumb; those big black letters grabbing my attention.

Scotland had thumped Cyprus 8-0 at Hampden in a World Cup qualifying match. It was May, 1969, and Colin Stein, who had recently joined Rangers for a record-breaking fee of £100,000, had bagged four.

He was already my hero, but now I had to share him with everyone else. Stein’s team-mates, John Greig and Willie Henderson were also on the score sheet.

I was almost nine, and it was my first international. The crowd was 40,000 strong, but I was among friends. My dad and older brother might have supported Patrick Thistle, but I was an apprentice bluenose, and the majority of the Hampden crowd that day were time-served Rangers fans.

The thought of a Rangers player in dark blue being booed, or the majority of Gers’ supporters turning their back on the national team would’ve been unthinkable back then; sacrilege, almost.

But that’s what I, and thousands more like me, have done. I still look forward to all the major tournaments, like the Euros, but I won’t be cheering on any country in particular this time.

So how did we get to this point? Perhaps we can rewind to the mid-1980s, when Graeme Souness lured England internationals like Terry Butcher and Chris Woods to Ibrox. Whenever these guys represented their country there was a whole host of Bears tuning in. But the majority of Rangers supporters still followed Scotland.

When the Geordie genius Gazza joined Rangers in 1995, a few more made the switch from the dark blue of Scotland to the iconic white top of England. It didn’t help when Mr Gascoigne made a complete fool of Colin Hendry and Andy Goram at Euro 96.

In 1994, the SFA had done something similar to Rangers striker Duncan Ferguson when they whacked him with an unprecedented 12-game ban for a ‘phantom’ headbutt on Raith Rovers player John McStay. It was a disgraceful punishment and Big Dunc refused to play for Scotland after that.

For me, though, the dam burst in 2012. The SFA put the boot into Rangers when the club was on its knees; when we needed help from our governing body, and that help was nowhere to be seen.

Our club was a mess. We’re the first to admit it, but the way we were treated was appalling.

Throughout my life I’ve always tried to follow examples set by those who conduct themselves in a dignified and respectful manner.

One man I had the utmost respect for was the late Sandy Jardine. He talked, we listened. He was the constant who stood up to those who wanted to beat our club with a stick – and, believe me, there were many.

We expected the canned vitriol from the other member clubs, even though Rangers – more than any other club in the history of Scottish football - has been there at the drop of a hat to bail out those who had fallen on hard times.

But that benevolence was nowhere to be seen when we needed it. When Sandy Jardine threatened to hand back his SFA Hall of Fame award due to the crippling sanctions imposed by the governing body, the gulf in relations between my club and the SFA was as wide as the River Clyde. Anti-SFA chants at Ibrox became the norm.

The 2014 Scottish referendum polarised our beautiful country even further. It was like those old school dances, with boys on one side of the hall and girls on the other. It was time to choose your side.

We’ve had Lee Wallace, Ian Black and Ryan Jack all barracked by Scotland supporters while on international duty for what one can only assume was due to their allegiance with Rangers.

Back in the day, when I was a regular at Scotland games, as far as I can remember there was little club tribalism on show.

We really all were united by a common cause, and that was to see Scotland come out on top, but I’ve a strong feeling those days are gone now, and in the past they shall remain.
I was at the Cyprus game, Rangers end behind the goal-different times though. 2012 for me was the killer, now I just hope the team get stuffed as I despise anything associated with the sfa.

Some England fans boo taking the knee, others applaud, they all still support England. There are not many international supports where everyone shares the same politics and club allegiances, that should be left out of it but there’s always a noisy few that are incapable of it.

Granted these things are easier with Northern Ireland as the vast majority of the support is unionist and a large number will have a soft spot for Rangers if not Rangers supporters. But isn’t that how the Scotland support used to be? Why let that happen?
Completely differently

booing taking the knee because you disagree with the political aspect of it is one thing but when was the last time you actively heard England fans boo one of their players because they play for Spurs or Man Utd or Chelsea?

and again if there’s so many Rangers fans in the Scotland support you must’ve been very vocal in your opposition when Ryan jack was booed right?

I don't know anyone who is "buzzing."

I think it might have been different if it was held in one country. Visiting fans and all that. Party atmosphere. This is just like qualifiers to me.

No buzzing that I can hear.

People are entitled to support or not support. I was next to a table full of tims in a beer garden the other day. Most weren't supporting Scotland. They weren't buzzing either.

Last edited:
Only been to one scotland game against East Germany the steaming arseholes round about us were enough to put me off, holy %^*& just checked 1990 %^*& I feel auld. :(

We tend to rewrite history when it’s comes to the Scotland support,the booing of gstq has been going on as long as I have watched Scotland games going back to the 70’s.flower of Scotland sung as Scotland games since the 70’s and that was in an era when the rangers end at hampden was full of bears.its not a popular thing to say but our support’s attitude to England changed when we signed butcher etal.i know a staunch loyalist in NI who detests the England football team and will support any team who plays against them.i am a Scot and a unionists and the Scotland international team belongs to me as much as any nationalist.

I hate letting them win, we are back where we should be and if the manager plays his strongest team they’ll be no Celtic players in it with one/ two Rangers player. Scottish football is corrupted by Celtic, that is unarguable but they are losing, we are winning.
We are winning on the park domestically and at a canter. Sadly though the nationalists have made it impossible for many of us to follow the national side. I know what I’m like I couldn’t hold my tongue if some nat was giving it big licks with a yes banner at a game. I’d end up lifted for giving someone a hiding or getting done in myself. I’d imagine most who don’t follow Scotland because of this reason feel the same.

The OP is bang on, the tartan trannies are an abject embarrassment and have been for as long as I can remember.

For me the issue goes back to when Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown were managers. The former used the Rangers Captain as a scapegoat for his own inadequacies and the latter refused to select him.

The treatment of David Robertson was also despicable, arguably the best full back in the country and between 92-94 they gave him 3 caps. Don't get me started on their treatment of big Dunc or the booing of Rangers players.

Scotland and the SFA have been a fvcking sham for years.
Fully agree with this post.
Gough went off on one after the 5-0 defeat to Portugal, and was never considered again by Roxburgh or his succesor Broon.
Robertson was asked to go to United States for a friendly match, Robertson asked for an assurance that he would play if he travelled,and this was refused. Rangers had an important match shortly after they returned(cup semi final?), and did not see the point in flying to America to perhaps not kick a ball.
Another memory I have of this pair of donkeys leading our country's team is, 1-0 down to Brazil in the world cup, needing someone to change the game, and Broon brings on ToshfeckinMcKinley!!!
Things only got worse for Rangers/SFA relationship culminating in the SFA orchestrating the 5 way agreement.
Neither should we forget that our friends in the SPL also voted to withhold our league prize money, and divvy it up amongst themselves, they were no better than the other jackals who were raping our club at that time.

Completely differently

booing taking the knee because you disagree with the political aspect of it is one thing but when was the last time you actively heard England fans boo one of their players because they play for Spurs or Man Utd or Chelsea?

and again if there’s so many Rangers fans in the Scotland support you must’ve been very vocal in your opposition when Ryan jack was booed right?

Not my country, I’d have been busy supporting Northern Ireland.

Maybe there is opposition when this happens I have no idea, but there won’t be if bears just surrender their country to these people.

Just don’t have the passion for it anymore I just don’t know how SOME bears are still big fans knowing full well how we’ve been treated by the SFA, knowing you are among a significant portion of fans who support various other club’s who were so desperate to see Rangers punished they threatened their OWN club’s chairman they wouldn’t be back if we weren’t booted out the league and hammered with sanctions, these things cannot be ignored and brushed off lightly?

There’s obviously been a massive change in the country from days of yore when supporting Scotland and Rangers went hand in hand and it’s all very well some Rangers fans saying let’s take the national team back but it is what is, there’s a lot of water under the bridge now and it’s all been laid out on here as to why the situation is as bad as it is nowadays but it’s not going to change any time soon and I seriously doubt it ever will.

As for the minority of Rangers fans who actively support Scotland that is their choice...we know SOME are SNP voters and yes I am bringing politics into sport, people prattling on about the two don’t mix are talking shit! of course they do whether you like it or not! As a football fan I will take a passing interest in the tournament and hope it’s a good one for young Patterson, if Scotland do well it’s fine..well done the players I’ll say but I won’t be sharing in the joy with fans who hate Rangers, an association that’s consistently demonstrated it’s against our club and our support and a team manager who started a row with the bears and then went squealing to an ever willing mhedia rhat pack when he got a bit back and played the victim card almost as good as TLB.

In a land with the filth at all levels it’s abundantly clear their malign influence is the main reason for all of this garbage directed at us, THAT little stunt with Steve Clarke was deliberately engineered to yet again paint us as the bad guys in the dirty PR war that’s been going on for decades and worsened post devolution under a Snatsi government which openly shows it’s contempt for Rangers and our supporters so if things don’t go too well for the team I will not lose a wink of sleep and you can’t help taking some pleasure in people’s pain who despise you because you are a Rangers fan and don’t share their political view so if it’s another low point for the Scotland team get it right up those types!

What do you do when the tartan tadgers around you at the games boo God Save The Queen?
What did we do in the 70’s and 80’s when it was happening.i have been to one Scotland v England game in 1980 and I was in the rangers end at hampden and you couldn’t hear GSTQ being played it was being booed that loudly and it was immediately followed by the singing of flower of Scotland which started in the rangers end.a lot of the Scotland supporters around me were talking about being in the same spot they had been a couple of weeks before at the hampden riot at the end of the Scottish cup final .

I still want Scotland to win but my heart is not in it. When they lose it doesn't bother me. When Rangers lose I move from having a temper like a wild animal, to sorrow and depression.

There are a multitude of other instances where Rangers are treated differently. I'm sick if it. The "wee man syndrome" has ruined Rangers fans relationship with Scottish football.
My feelings and thoughts also.

Think it’s sad that Scotland are in a major tournament and as much as I want them to do well a genuinely couldn’t give a %^*& if I’m being brutally honest. The boozegate carry on way just Ferguson and McGregor being thrown under the bus when there was others involved. The booing of Ryan Jack when he played because he just signed for Rangers a fucking despise the tartan army. The referendum and politics also a major player in it.

And you can bet your house on if Scotland manage to get one win or anything Nicola Sturgeon will be front and centre of a TV again bringing politics into it.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t grudge anybody who can see past all of that and want to support the country of their birth but probably since I was about 18 any real support I’ve had for Scotland has disappeared.

Would it be different if McGregor was in goal, Patterson at RB, Jack in midfield etc, probably aye but that doesn’t make you forget about the tartan army wankers and the way the use the national team as a political stick these days.

You can hate the SFA but still support the national football team, it’s that simple.

Articles like this are divisive and nothing else.
Isn’t the Scotland team the whole raison d'etre for SFA’s existence?

FIFA and UEFA voting power plus a nice blazer and free trips around the world while fucking over the best supported team in their home country?

The stubborn side of me thinks, why should I unite with thousands and thousands of Scottish football fans while the majority of them would prefer if Rangers,the team I have supported all my life, weren’t here. And it’s going to get worse unfortunately.

But the other side of me thinks, I shouldn’t allow them to take away my pleasure of watching the country of my birth win a football match.

International football is garbage and I don’t usually watch it in TV anymore never mind go to games.

But even if I did enjoy it I’d struggle to cheer on players like Brown and Griffiths etc

What did we do in the 70’s and 80’s when it was happening.i have been to one Scotland v England game in 1980 and I was in the rangers end at hampden and you couldn’t hear GSTQ being played it was being booed that loudly and it was immediately followed by the singing of flower of Scotland which started in the rangers end.a lot of the Scotland supporters around me were talking about being in the same spot they had been a couple of weeks before at the hampden riot at the end of the Scottish cup final .

Tbf, booing the opposition's national anthem, any anthem, was quite common back then. In saying that, you're correct that in that I couldn't get my head around the Rangers End booing GSTQ when the same end would be singing it only weeks before.

S
Sorry I get that we were badly treated, which we were. But I cannot deny the land of my birth. Rangers and Scotland, that’s me, it has a ring to it, it has always been so.

Rangers supporters born in Scotland supporting England, vastly exaggerated, nor can I understand it. I do not know any.

I also feel having Nathan Paterson, Billy Gilmour and, of course, John McLaughlin in the Euro Squad helps.

Spot on. Might no longer go to Scotland games but want Scotland to do well.

This idea that huge swathes of the Rangers fanbase support England is nonsense and unfortunately that article will just perpetuate the myth.

First major tournament since 1998; a month of bevying on the horizon; decent weather. Yeah, there's no excitement in the air at all.
There’s a difference between ‘no excitement’ and a nation being buzzing.

Hopefully what little excitement there is can be killed stone dead after 3 pumpings.

scottish nationlism
anti Rangers/Loyalist propaganda
steve clarke
Loyalist, republican propaganda.
Neither are a positive, and certainly not needed in the west of Scotland, just people, predominantly males with bigotry on their minds who really should know better.

I lost interest after that wanker Craig Brown went out of his way not to pick our players because he had his pets who he couldn't bear to drop. He set the international team back decades.

Also hated it when the "tartan army" became a thing with "foot soldiers" and revelling in being shite whilst drunkenly trashing city centres with their joviality.

Loyalist, republican propaganda.
Neither are a positive, and certainly not needed in the west of Scotland, just people, predominantly males with bigotry on their minds who really should know better.
weirdo ..........

That’s why I don’t bother with Scotland games. Couldn’t sit next to someone who boo’s my national anthem. Each to their own.

Can’t wait until every Scotland match thread in here where the FF staunch crew come in to tell us how little they care about the national team and how they all support England now for some reason.

Tbf, booing the opposition's national anthem, any anthem, was quite common back then. In saying that, you're correct that in that I couldn't get my head around the Rangers End booing GSTQ when the same end would be singing it only weeks before.
Gordon Strachan talked about being a sub at Scotland v England in 1982 at hampden and the rangers end chanting his name to try and get the manager to put him on and a couple of weeks before that same end was giving him dogs abuse in the Scottish cup final.my theory is back then the rangers support was comfortable in being a passionate Rangers supporter one week and being a passionate scotland fan the next.i remember my uncle telling my he was down at wembley in 1981 and on the mall their were people standing with black flags in the middle of the road in a protest about the hunger strike that was going on in NI and they were getting pelted with bottles and cans every time a taxi passed that was full of Scotland supporters and a couple of hours later gstq was being booed at wembley.

I regularly went to Scotland games - during the mid 70's into the early 80's & enjoyed it (home & away)
Wembley every 2nd year was always a real event to look forward to

Scotland fans of that era were IMO very similar to fans you'd get at Ibrox every other week

I'm not entirely sure of all the reasons I stopped going to Scotland matches- but working away from home contributed
So I didn't go near another Scotland match till against my better judgement- I got dragged along to the Emirates in 2011 when my son & his mates had a spare ticket

The difference in the fans from the 80's to the 2010's was unbelievable IMO
I'm sure many fan bases changed in that time with the prawn sandwich brigade creeping into clubs - but this was beyond recognisable

The number of absolute fannies - in fancy dress (I'm not referring to kilts) with competitions for the longest pheasant feather, bunnetts with ginger syrups, rubber dildos, plastic blow-up highland cattle & depictions of nessie & haggis - certainly embarrassed me

The names of these people really should have been a give-away
When I grew up Hamish & Gavin was considered posh
So when this lot were shouting to each other with names like Hector, Blaine, Lyle & Nairn - I suffered a sort of culture shock
( I dare say that's probably down to my own limited experience or shortcomings)

Most of them didn't pay any attention to the game & often tried to start up songs & chants at completely inappropriate times during the game
Most of the conversations between Hector & the rest were about what top restaurants they were going to attempt to eat at after the game

I won't condone violence in any form
But on the very few occasions things boiled over during a Wembley visit in the 70's - you could always rely on other Scots fans for 'haunners' or back up
If you relied on the 2011 crowd - you were in for a battering

I dare say my experience isn't typical or applicable to all Scotland games or fans now - nevertheless I'll be reluctant to return anytime soon

It's also down to the lack of rangers players in the squad. Patterson will no doubt become a regular, hopefully Scott Wright will start to get in and if we bring in the likes of Kenny mclean, Lewis Ferguson and Kevin Nisbet that will help. Plus Jack and Mclaughlin.

Rangers always need a Scottish core. Hopefully this will increase next year.
It has nothing to do with the lack of Rangers players in the squad. Pure and simply it's all due to the fact that the club and fanbase has been treated appallingly by the rest of Scottish football fans, the Tartan Army, because of the political climate in Scotland at this moment in time and it has been so since 2012 and thereafter 2014.

Because of the SNP pushing the Nationalist agenda there has been a hatred of all things Unionist in Scotland by those who oppose that view, which has turned into a very poisonous situation for the fanbase, mainly because we are a Unionist support.It makes it very uncomfortable for any bluenoses at Scotland games these days. It's all political, nothing to do with the lack of Rangers players in the team.

Back