The Tottenham system

Alfredosforeheed

With Mcrorie doing so well and Alves due back, could we use all 3 of our CH's to our advantage?

..................................Wes
............Mcrorie........Alves........Cardoso
..Tav................Holt...........Jack............John
................Candeias........Miller/Dorrans
...............................Morelos

Gives us the freedom to continue with arguably our best performing midfield pairing (Holt and Jack)

Candeias can have the freedom to push either wing and Miller plays as a foil for Morelos.

Hardly the Spurs system as it has been used by many teams for quite a while.

Chelsea being an obvious example.

Juventus too on occasion. Especially when Conte was there.

Hardly the Spurs system as it has been used by many teams for quite a while.

Chelsea being an obvious example.

Juventus too on occasion. Especially when Conte was there.

I'm not looking for a debate on who done it first bud. Just asking if this system could be useful to us.

The thread title wouldn't have space for "The Tottenham, Chelsea, Juventus and many other teams system"

No need to change at the moment but we have the players for it if need be, especially with Tav & John going forward.

It's actually the Conte system which Poch decided to try to combat Chelsea. It worked for them and he's used it ever since.

Conte plays Azpilicueta on the right of a back three and Wenger plays Monreal on the left of a back three and that works for them. We could play Wallace on the left of a back three with John as the left wing back.

With 3-5-2 the big question is: Will the wing backs get up and attack well and get back and put in a defensive shift?

I'm not sure but I'd like to see us try it.

I also think that putting Windass in the hole with less requirement to go wide and cross, may bring out the best in him.

Cardoso isn't good one on one in a wide area. Would be constantly exposed exposed in behind a wingback.

I've said it a few times on here but the 'best' English teams are moving on to the 3-4-3/3-5-2 above just as we're catching up on the 4-2-3-1. I'd like to see us try it and it might be the way to get Alves, McCrorie and Cardoso in the one team as above.

I also think that putting Windass in the hole with less requirement to go wide and cross, may bring out the best in him.
Myself and a few of my mates have been talking about this for a while. General consensus seems to be that he would do much better in a more central role.

Myself and a few of my mates have been talking about this for a while. General consensus seems to be that he would do much better in a more central role.

Buffel and Lovenkrands became FAR more effective when played through the middle. Could be just the ticket for JW.

I believe so, it was mentioned on another thread a couple of weeks ago. I think it could work quite well. We have the perfect 'Wing backs' on each side for this to happen.

Same the above, when it comes to suggestions for this weeks team I keep say a 352/343. Tav, Wallace, John, Candieas, Beerman, Houston would all be great wing backs. Holt, Dorrans, Jack, Barjonas, Rossitor all would be great in the holding two and then we have Alves, Cordoso, D. Wilson, McCorie, A. Wilson and Bates at ch

With Mcrorie doing so well and Alves due back, could we use all 3 of our CH's to our advantage?

Gives us the freedom to continue with arguably our best performing midfield pairing (Holt and Jack)

Candeias can have the freedom to push either wing and Miller plays as a foil for Morelos.

If

If Kenny dosen't play in the position he's good at, supporting Morelos, i wouldn't have him in the team.
As he buggers up our system when he runs about like a headless chicken.

Buffel and Lovenkrands became FAR more effective when played through the middle. Could be just the ticket for JW.
I was thinking about Lovenkrands when I typed that, but I'm not sure if Windass would have the same goal rate as Lovenkrands had when played through the middle.

Buffel's a good example as well, shocking to think he was ever played out wide.

I think Warburton tried to mimic the Spurs style of play at Rangers just didn't have the players to do so

Tav and John are made for this system I agree.

The problem for me is we just dont have enough quality in the other 3 attacking positions to create/score enough goals.

Also 3 central defenders + 2 holding midfielders to play agaist the likes of partick thistle, dundee, hamilton etc??? Im not so sure but wouldnt be averse to seeing us set up that way against harder teams/venues.

I think it's a system that would suit many of our players to be honest, especially in certain matches against packed midfields/defences.

Basically, this is a system to use because we all love Tavernier going forward but don't trust him at the back. lol.

I'd prefer the back 4 for various reasons.

However - if we were to go back 3, I'd want to see Cardoso central and Alves on the left. When you look at the likes of Chelsea and Spurs, the central player tends to be good at reading the game, the wider ones good at attacking the ball.

I'd like to see us set up like this. Think it would suit our players. Means we can press teams further up the pitch and still have cover.

Was thinking about this too over the weekend.

Play a 3-5-2 with Cardoso central, with McCrorie and Alves attacking the ball.

Tav would excel in the wingback roles as would John.

I'd like to see us with one holding midfielder in Jack, whilst we have 2 forward thinking midfielders in Dorrans and Holt\Windass.

I'd like to see Morelos have a striking partner and have us focus on having more presence in the box, rather than one isolated striker for the sake of width. With Tav and John, we shouldn't need wingers as such.

I'd be worried defensively if we set up like that. I think we'd be more open to counter attacks since the WB's are pushed further ahead and it's not like Tav doesn't get caught out enough as it is. If the opposition wingers find space behind Tav and Elvis then they could see themselves with 3 vs 3 at the back. Not sure how Candeias would fit into the set up either since he'd have to go more central and I do like the wee man on the wing.

That said, we have no natural left winger and I suppose this type of formation would get us round it, since John would then be providing the width.

Also, I don't think we should shove Cardoso in there for the sake of it. Alves and McCrorie, for me, have been better than Cardoso and deserve a start ahead of him. Wilson coming in the past few weeks and doing a decent job gives Cardoso a headache as well. He's got competition.

I'd be worried defensively if we set up like that. I think we'd be more open to counter attacks since the WB's are pushed further ahead and it's not like Tav doesn't get caught out enough as it is. If the opposition wingers find space behind Tav and Elvis then they could see themselves with 3 vs 3 at the back. Not sure how Candeias would fit into the set up either since he'd have to go more central and I do like the wee man on the wing.

That said, we have no natural left winger and I suppose this type of formation would get us round it, since John would then be providing the width.

Also, I don't think we should shove Cardoso in there for the sake of it. Alves and McCrorie, for me, have been better than Cardoso and deserve a start ahead of him. Wilson coming in the past few weeks and doing a decent job gives Cardoso a headache as well. He's got competition.
Got to agree with this although iwont knock the other formations into touch,a good team with pace has caused us no end of problems.

That problem surely already exists for us with a back 4, but at the moment there's only 2 Centre halves to cover instead of the 3 in this system.

That problem surely already exists for us with a back 4, but at the moment there's only 2 Centre halves to cover instead of the 3 in this system.

Yep, we suffer from the same problems playing 4 at the back. I can't help but think we'd be even more exposed on the wings with Tav and John pushing further forward though, and for the formation to work they'd need to sit higher naturally, or else we'd be playing 5 at the back, and considering the opposition we're facing most weeks we should never have to play with 5 at the back.

We're going to control a majority of our games possession wise and having that extra man further up the pitch suits us, IMO.

I'd prefer a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2 myself.

Edit: Not saying I'm right and it wouldn't work. I'm no tactical genius for sure! I can see how it could help us playing in that shape, for sure.

Yep, we suffer from the same problems playing 4 at the back. I can't help but think we'd be even more exposed on the wings with Tav and John pushing further forward though, and for the formation to work they'd need to sit higher naturally, or else we'd be playing 5 at the back, and considering the opposition we're facing most weeks we should never have to play with 5 at the back.

We're going to control a majority of our games possession wise and having that extra man further up the pitch suits us, IMO.

I'd prefer a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2 myself.

Edit: Not saying I'm right and it wouldn't work. I'm no tactical genius for sure! I can see how it could help us playing in that shape, for sure.

It gives us flexibility without having to change shape mid game. Wing backs position themselves dependant on opposition, score, current state of play in each game etc.

Going for the throat?
Back 3 are on their own.

Under the cosh/defending a lead/playing counter?
Tuck in to a Back 5

You mean the Italian/Chelsea system?

Spurs latched on to it once Conte had success with it at Chelsea last season (as did many other EPL teams).

Fwiw i think it would suit our current squad perfectly as we are short on natural/quality wingers.

Back