The Tranmere Rover.

DogWoof

Cannot believe it’s 21 years since the Little Generals baptism, sorry, christening of fire at Prenton Park v Shelbourne F(u)C(k). I was lucky enough to be there, not lucky enough to get back home mind you. I can remember the barricade of police in front of us Bears to stop us objecting to the home (away) fans, who were exercising their freedom of speech by burning several Union flags, among other symbols of England, Rangers, Monarchy etc, which they had travelled many miles to be offended by. But I digress. After one of the most exciting, and ultimately successful games I’ve ever experienced a few of the troops fell foul of the local law, who were doing a sterling job of protecting the aforementioned Protestant, (oops, damn predictive text), protestors, resulting in a few missing the bus home. This gallant few were immediately and to this day known as the Tranmere Rovers.

As an aside, I’ll always remember Maxi, (you know who you are), uttering a phrase I’d never heard, but have never forgotten. After a derisory glance at the away support he turns round and says “Son, I effing hate my eyes for looking at them”.

Back