The Ultimate Alpha Male

I love Souness, but to be honest, he was a dirty bastard.
Don't get me wrong, he could play sublime football when he wanted to, but a player who goes out to injure other players is the lowest of the low, something he did many times.
I don't think he went out onto the park intending to do other players, but in the heat of the battle he just seemed to take no half measures as the red mist descended.
He wouldn't stay on the park nowadays and would have to change the way he played, but the game back then was certainly more physical and the bold Graeme was just that bit more physical than the rest.

The tackle when he is playing for Scotland and breaks the wee Danish players leg ( who was at man utd at the time), Yuk!

And people think Scott Brown is a hard man! Wouldn’t have lasted 2 minutes in an Old Firm game with Souness!
what people? brown is as hard as my first shite. dirty wee ugly mutant,that's all. throws himself about more than anything else.

I was at the game against Steaua Bucharest and remember the collective "oooh" around Ibrox when he did the Steuau player in the thigh/balls. Souness was magnificent!

And people think Scott Brown is a hard man! Wouldn’t have lasted 2 minutes in an Old Firm game with Souness!
Brown, like Aitken, is a bully. Under the pretence there is absolutely nothing of substance.

Maybe memory deceives me, but I believe Aitken’s reputation was shattered after his first confrontation with Souness, He would spend much of his time running after the referee bleating and pointing as if to highlight some perceived injustice. Aitken was never the same player on OF games - imo Souness effectively ‘retired’ Aitken who later fled Scotland blaming Gerry McNee for hounding him.

Brown seems to think he is a ticket because he gives the opposition that wandered, cross eyed stare in the tunnel. I don’t think TMB would be phased by that and in fact, it would ensure that he was given a message at the first opportunity.

Oh, and Souness could play too as well as win the physical and psychological battle.

5:52. What a ball. The guy was a tremendous footballer who only had one 'flaw' and that was he did not have a left foot at all.

Psychologically he gave teams exactly what Keane and Viera did in the next generation in that he could boss a midfield in the fight and in the game.

I love Souness, but to be honest, he was a dirty bastard.
Don't get me wrong, he could play sublime football when he wanted to, but a player who goes out to injure other players is the lowest of the low, something he did many times.

How can you love some one and call them the lowest of the low atthe same time? :))

How can you love some one and call them the lowest of the low atthe same time? :))
Easy. I love Souness for everything he did for our club, but I detest that kind of behaviour. IMO, he should have been better than that. I don't mind strong challenges in football, but it was obvious that some of the time Souness was intent on injuring his opponent.
Let's be honest, if we were talking about someone like Roy Keane ( who is a poor man's Souness) people would be calling him a rat for doing it, and rightly so.

It is easy to forget what a genuinely world class player he was. Liverpool were the best team on the planet for about 5 years and he was their captain and main man.

Glad we got him but wish he came 5 years earlier as a player.
Would never have been possible , however you are bang on , can you imagine just how awesome that would have been , just wow !
I am just delighted that I was there to witness what he did and achieved in the very short space of time he was with us.
I also think that although he never played for us , when Mr Gerrard moves on , as we all know he will , he will be leaving a very special legacy behind , I am sure the best is yet to come from this man ;)
Magnificent Bastard 2 !

Back