The wage bill

sammy1872

Until we match them financially then we will always be 2nd favourites for the league . I keep hearing our wage bill is circa 40 mil and there’s is 60 mil . Until we match that we will always be the underdog and will need them to have a bad year or us to overachieve to win. In life you tend to get what you pay for.

I don’t buy this pish that there wage bill is unsustainable. It’s been at its current level for 5 years and they don’t seem to have issues. It’s sustainable because they reach the UCL or sell a player . Their transfer model is miles ahead of us. Every year they seem to have a big name to sell to balance the books. It’s sustainable

Wage bill has nothing to do with it, also celtics wage bill is up there with Ajax’s who got to a champions league semi final the other season.

Buying the right players in midfield and out wide is the first step to winning this.

Got to agree with OP, you only get what you pay for .

I still think they aren’t that good for the budget they have and are there for the taking. This is why results like Livingston and hivs are so frustrating.

Chucking money at a problem is not always the answer. Recruiting wisely is and that is what we're trying to do.

The only difference between us and them is several of their players have experience of winning this league and grinding out results when they have to.

Coronavirus is gonna have a massive financial impact on our finances and theirs. Difference is that we have been making losses year after year while they break even at worst over the medium term. Its going to hit us at least as hard as them despite their larger wage bill, an advantage that means we start every season with one hand relatively tied behind our back.

So what’s the excuse for us not beating teams with a fraction of our wage bill

Consistency is a factor.

We regularly beat teams with a fraction of our wage bill.
8 games in and we've won 6 out of 8.
5 of those won by 2 goals or more.

The problem is being able to do that every time.
Can we handle a few key injuries and keep winning?
Are we able to bring quality off the bench to win lost causes?
Can we handle matches where several players are off form?

Even the tims drop points.
They drop points less often than we do.

So it really depends on how you frame it.

Over 38 games, even if you are playing teams with a fraction of your wage bill in 34 of those, you will drop points. That's reality.

The question is then which team is going to drop points less often?

You'd expect the team that spends more to drop less points over 38 games, no?

Until we match them financially then we will always be 2nd favourites for the league . I keep hearing our wage bill is circa 40 mil and there’s is 60 mil . Until we match that we will always be the underdog and will need them to have a bad year or us to overachieve to win. In life you tend to get what you pay for.

I don’t buy this pish that there wage bill is unsustainable. It’s been at its current level for 5 years and they don’t seem to have issues. It’s sustainable because they reach the UCL or sell a player . Their transfer model is miles ahead of us. Every year they seem to have a big name to sell to balance the books. It’s sustainable
I kind of get what you are saying,money usually brings success.We can match and beat them if we are astute in the transfer market,we are hardly paupers with the money spent on Kent,Hagi etc.
Their wage bill is only sustainable if they get CL group stages which they hardly ever do or they sell a player.Another season without selling a player and it's house of cards time as DK said.Anybody paying serious money for Ajer is off their nut so that leaves Oduard who is the only one worth anything significant.If he goes happy days.

Never realised it was the wage bill that made Goldson gift Hibs a goal. Or that if we paid our team £20M more a season, the linesman would have correctly called a very obvious offside.

Can someone tell Gerrard to give Arfield and Kent a raise too, so they don't miss sitters? God its so simple, why didn't we think of it before? :))

But that's exactly the point, they need to qualify for Champions League or else they have to make a major sale. Unfortunately, cash rich, gullible Premiership clubs have been only too willing to pay stupid money, Virgil VD, excepted, for on the whole average players.

Hence the need for us to win the league pretty damn quick and negotiate CL qualifiers then the tide turns in our favour.

If the above were to happen they then have a decision to make on whether they weaken their squad further to cover likely losses, or gamble money on transfers with no guarantee of revenues coming in to cover it.

Didn't seem to affect Atalanta in the Champions League last season.

While wages are part of it, I wouldn't say it's the only reason.

Scouting department just have to scout better.
Scouting and a really good manager. Gerrard may or may not manage Liverpool one day but a really good manager is worth as many points over a season as a 20 goal striker.

Nonsense , by that logic we should beat teams like livingston and hibs easily because our wage bill is much higher ? We have a good enough squad to be beating all the rest and we showed last season we can beat them too. Even with a Smaller wage bill.

The OP is largely right.

Some of the responses are not particularly logical. Of course you can waste money-Celtic have wasted plenty. Of course we will be expected to beat the other teams in the league.

However what the wage bill defines overall is the quality of players you bring in and squad depth. For example they've brought in two more experienced internationalists recently than our guys they've scored something like 6 goals in a very short period of time. They have a much stronger squad-compare the benches at the weekend.

Over a season this really matters-at certain stages last year even a much maligned Griffiths gave them a lift. Who did we have to give us a lift in reserve?

We've closed a fair bit of the gap and you may not need to outspend them but it will take time and money to be right on them. It might not be far away we don't know at this stage.

The harsh reality is we are really stretching ourselves to compete and if we don't catch them soon there is a serious chance they dominate for quite a while longer.

Nonsense , by that logic we should beat teams like livingston and hibs easily because our wage bill is much higher ? We have a good enough squad to be beating all the rest and we showed last season we can beat them too. Even with a Smaller wage bill.

By that same logic they should win all 38 matches including beating us 4 times.

This is one of the main contradictions you'll see regularly on FollowFollow.
We should be beating the other teams easily because of what we spend on players.
However, we should also be beating the tims despite them spending more than us.

You could come on here after a defeat to, say, Aberdeen and argue that we should beat them based on our spending alone and get most people agreeing.

Come on after a defeat to Them and make the argument that we can't expect to beat them based on spending and you'll be shot down.

The OP is largely right.

Some of the responses are not particularly logical. Of course you can waste money-Celtic have wasted plenty. Of course we will be expected to beat the other teams in the league.

However what the wage bill defines overall is the quality of players you bring in and squad depth. For example they've brought in two more experienced internationalists recently than our guys they've scored something like 6 goals in a very short period of time. They have a much stronger squad-compare the benches at the weekend.

Over a season this really matters-at certain stages last year even a much maligned Griffiths gave them a lift. Who did we have to give us a lift in reserve?

We've closed a fair bit of the gap and you may not need to outspend them but it will take time and money to be right on them. It might not be far away we don't know at this stage.

The harsh reality is we are really stretching ourselves to compete and if we don't catch them soon there is a serious chance they dominate for quite a while longer.

I think it is inevitable that they will have a bad season.
Maybe after this year they lose the desire or motivation or don't feel like there is a fire under them.

When that happens we need to be there ready to take advantage.

This will only be done by building the squad up to a level where we are consistently hitting 90 points or more.

The nightmare scenario is, as you say, we are stretching ourselves too far now and we could go through spells of 3 or 4 seasons where we suffer because of that stretching.

Gerrard's first season was "the one that got away" in my opinion. It just came a bit too soon for us.

Still, no idea how exactly this season is going to play out.
After us the tims are away to Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell back to back?
If they manage to get through that run of matches with 9 points then it may just be a case that we are not going to be close again.

I think it is inevitable that they will have a bad season.
Maybe after this year they lose the desire or motivation or don't feel like there is a fire under them.

When that happens we need to be there ready to take advantage.

This will only be done by building the squad up to a level where we are consistently hitting 90 points or more.

The nightmare scenario is, as you say, we are stretching ourselves too far now and we could go through spells of 3 or 4 seasons where we suffer because of that stretching.

Gerrard's first season was "the one that got away" in my opinion. It just came a bit too soon for us.

Still, no idea how exactly this season is going to play out.
After us the tims are away to Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell back to back?
If they manage to get through that run of matches with 9 points then it may just be a case that we are not going to be close again.

It's well within possibility they could even blow up this season and my argument is that has to be part of how we catch them. It's possible -this is a very high pressure situation in a situation none of us have sen before.

How does Liverpools wage bill compare to Man City’s? Did Leicester have the biggest wage bill in England for just the one season?

It makes it harder certainly but not impossible.

How does Liverpools wage bill compare to Man City’s? Did Leicester have the biggest wage bill in England for just the one season?

It makes it harder certainly but not impossible.

No reason then why Aberdeen won't win the league if Leicester is the benchmark.
It's the same argument is it not?

Really really stupid arguments around this. If one team in a league has a noticeably superior squad to it's biggest rivals in a two horse race then invariably that is potentially a deciding factor.

Rangers have closed the gap they are continuing though to outspend us though and on paper are bringing in players of better quality. Of course they've bought some dumplings but so have we.

It's not impossible but it is the single biggest factor. Their new centre half has scored two goals the same as Roofe. Their Swiss guy has scored I think 4 -three or at least two from the bench. Itten has to break his duck.

The evidence is there in front of us. We just don't like to face it.

I don't however pretend to know how the season will pan out and I do think we do have a chance but on paper it should go one way.

I think it’s too simple to say it’s purely down to money.

I was reading somewhere Messi earns more than the full Atalanta team combined so wages mean nothing , I’m guessing Atalanta’s wage bill is on par with ours and they are a far better team ,
Edited just check there wage bill is 36 million euros even lower than ours

I think it’s too simple to say it’s purely down to money.

Maybe so. But it’s their whole strategy that allows them to be so far ahead financially . They can have a bigger wage bill because they always have an asset they can sell if they %^*& europe to balance the books. We struggle to sell our assets. Look at Alfie

Maybe so. But it’s their whole strategy that allows them to be so far ahead financially . They can have a bigger wage bill because they always have an asset they can sell if they %^*& europe to balance the books. We struggle to sell our assets. Look at Alfie
Agree it’s a hurdle to overcome. Not insurmountable though

We wont win the league as we cannot consistently beat Aberdeen Hibs Killie or go on a prolonged winning run under Gerrard.
Wage bill means nothing when we struggle against those teams.

There business model means they need to sell a “top asset” every season, if they don’t get into champions league. They might not this season but you can gaurentee 2/3 away in summer

What a load of shite,we'll spend lots of money to keep you happy.

Liverpool don’t have the biggest wage bill in England.

Wage bill has nothing to do with it, also celtics wage bill is up there with Ajax’s who got to a champions league semi final the other season.

Buying the right players in midfield and out wide is the first step to winning this.
In modern football wage bills have everything to do with success, sadly

Our best player cost 1 million pounds and was likely on around 10k for the first year per week.
20 years ago we paid 12 million for flo, in todays money that would be around 30 million ish .
How much did clough/ taylor put into transfers at a small club like forrest that won 2 european cups or the team bobby robson had at ipswich.
Massive part is the management.

Back