The War Years (Heart & Hand Podcast)

Mark Walters

Genuinely one of the most fascinating listens I've experienced about our club. If you have a Patreon subscription then get yourself tuned in. If you don't have a subscription then how very dare you! get involved immediately!

Some stuff gobsmacked and intrigued me, notably that a semi with Clyde that ended a draw was decided on corners which we won at a count of 7-2, had never known football games were decided on such a basis and for me is a much fairer way of deciding a tie than penalties. Also, the Alex Venters sending off is probably more absurd than Gasgoine's booking gainst Hibs.

There's maybe an argument to be had whether or not these titles ought to be included in official records (especially seeing as the dregs of humanity like to cherry pick achievements in that period). Whether or not they do tho it is certainly something we should celebrate more.

To the presenters of the show, massive congrats on a fantastic podcast, cannot wait to hear more on the subject. David owes you all a big reach-a-round :D

It’s always perfectly summed up their nature compared to ours for me regarding war titles.

No class and zero respect.
Indeed, and I'm sure they'll get onto it in a later podcast but unsurprisingly Celtic Park will unquestionably be the only club to have a swastika among its support throughout Britain. A club more repulsive than any other! How in God's name did we end up with them as our neighbour?

It’s always perfectly summed up their nature compared to ours for me regarding war titles.

No class and zero respect.

We also count our title in 1917/18 as part of our 54, I'm all for celebrating the great achievements of our club during WW2 but respect the decision taken not to include them in our official haul.

We also count our title in 1917/18 as part of our 54, I'm all for celebrating the great achievements of our club during WW2 but respect the decision taken not to include them in our official haul.
That's the crux of the matter, I too hold the viewpoint that we honour the decision taken to not appoint these titles in official records - there was of course events taking place that would determine the future of all mankind. However, that doesn't mean to say we shouldn't take a look into that period and celebrate our achievements because you know for a fact had the dregs of humanity been the more successful team in that era they'd have campaigned / argued / bitched relentlessly to have them in official records.

Planning is already underway for ep2, will be out very soon. Thanks for the positivity on it so far, it’s been amazing.
Cannot wait for it. Tremendous insight and much needed information on a good period for Rangers. I often bemoan the fact that we don't celebrate our successes pre World War 2 but haven't given much thought to the actual War era.

Really enjoyed how you delved into the mentality of the football supporter attending matches during the onset and early months of the War. Whilst it’s a task and a half to collate everything about the matches, line ups, scorers, opponents etc I do hope you can find something about the John Smith Rangers supporter and what the mood was like amongst the crowd during the War years. A great listen, keep it up!!!

Genuinely one of the most fascinating listens I've experienced about our club. If you have a Patreon subscription then get yourself tuned in. If you don't have a subscription then how very dare you! get involved immediately!

Some stuff gobsmacked and intrigued me, notably that a semi with Clyde that ended a draw was decided on corners which we won at a count of 7-2, had never known football games were decided on such a basis and for me is a much fairer way of deciding a tie than penalties. Also, the Alex Venters sending off is probably more absurd than Gasgoine's booking gainst Hibs.

There's maybe an argument to be had whether or not these titles ought to be included in official records (especially seeing as the dregs of humanity like to cherry pick achievements in that period). Whether or not they do tho it is certainly something we should celebrate more.

To the presenters of the show, massive congrats on a fantastic podcast, cannot wait to hear more on the subject. David owes you all a big reach-a-round :D

Alex Venteers sending off was indeed ludicrous - and as outlined below, the Tims go radio rental in this period with cries of "but all our players were away to the war" (false) and "the refs are bent" (false).

In the game that sees that pit shut down, they get a penalty yet the ref is bent. Perhaps they were just rank.

Good feedback though boys and appreciate the kind words.

Episode 2 to focus on the war from May 1940 (Chamberlain, Dunkirk, France & Germany, Battle of Britain) and how Rangers got on recording this week.

The Scottish Football League continued during WW1 hence why it counted, Scottish FA suspended the Scottish Cup

Both the Scottish Football League and Scottish FA suspended their main competitions during WW2

It wasn't a club decision to include them or not from that aspect

However anything won during the WW2 should included in our honours

Really enjoyed the first episode. Thought I knew a lot about the history of the club before I listened to this! Was an excellent listen.

More of the same please in the remaining episodes.

Listened to the first episode today and I thought it was excellent and I am really looking forward to the rest of the series

Indeed, and I'm sure they'll get onto it in a later podcast but unsurprisingly Celtic Park will unquestionably be the only club to have a swastika among its support throughout Britain. A club more repulsive than any other! How in God's name did we end up with them as our neighbour?

Irish immigration.

Giving this a wee bump as I've just got round to listening to the 2nd instalment, it's another belting episode, quite harrowing at times listening to the levels of destruction heaped upon our towns and citizens and the cruelty the frail and vulnerable in German society suffered at the hands of the Nazis. Quality hearing the myth that Rangers players didn't contribute to the war effort being completely debunked and dismantled.

Again, if you bears haven't listened then I can't recommend it highly enough - you really ought to.

Can't wait for episode 3

Giving this a wee bump as I've just got round to listening to the 2nd instalment, it's another belting episode, quite harrowing at times listening to the levels of destruction heaped upon our towns and citizens and the cruelty the frail and vulnerable in German society suffered at the hands of the Nazis. Quality hearing the myth that Rangers players didn't contribute to the war effort being completely debunked and dismantled.

Again, if you bears haven't listened then I can't recommend it highly enough - you really ought to.

Can't wait for episode 3
The reading of the citation on the actions of Willie Thornton that seen him rewarded with the military cross for his actions in battle just filled me with pride.astonishing to think we played at Ibrox the day after the clydebank blitz

Some of the players worked as well as playing. Tiger, for example, worked in Gartsherrie Ironworks. I've been listening to this with my mum, who was born in 1943, right in the middle of it all - so can't really remember. But we both spoke about what sort of mentality it must have taken for him to play following the bombings at Clydebank and Greenock. But then - we saw a different side to him every single day in life growing up. We saw the Papa, the dad, the husband, the friend.

Brilliant series guys - it's even informing me of things I didn't know about him.

Some of the players worked as well as playing. Tiger, for example, worked in Gartsherrie Ironworks. I've been listening to this with my mum, who was born in 1943, right in the middle of it all - so can't really remember. But we both spoke about what sort of mentality it must have taken for him to play following the bombings at Clydebank and Greenock. But then - we saw a different side to him every single day in life growing up. We saw the Papa, the dad, the husbands, the friend.

Brilliant series guys - it's even informing me of things I didn't know about him.
My mum and dad were both born during the war and in my dad’s case he was a twin and my gran was bringing up twins largely on her own as my grandad was in the raf.my gran told me that once she had to dive into a ditch with the twins as a German bomber came overhead,they lived in Montrose which had an airfield.when I was wee I could sit for hours listening to my gran and grandad talk about the war.what that generation went through we can only imagine.

Maybe there's an argument for the first

1939 -Scottish league Winners
1940-Emergency war league Winners
1941-Southern league Winners
1942-Southern league Winners
1943-Southern league Winners
1944-Southern league Winners
1945-Southern league Winners
1946-Southern league Winners
1947-Scottish league Winners

Could this be the first 9 In a row ?

No Could about it, we done it 1st

Rangers most overlooked achievement in our history.

Episode 3 covering 1941/42 live guys.

Including the interesting goings on of Saturday 6th September 1941....
Another cracking pod mate, we really did rub their noses in it that season, also, an SFA with a back bone - can only guess Churchillian spirit had temporarily affected them. Again it's great to hear what was happening at home on the football front while hearing what events were unfolding on the actual front as well as the murderous decision making being played out by the odious Nazi administration

Another cracking pod mate, we really did rub their noses in it that season, also, an SFA with a back bone - can only guess Churchillian spirit had temporarily affected them. Again it's great to hear what was happening at home on the football front while hearing what events were unfolding on the actual front as well as the murderous decision making being played out by the odious Nazi administration

We will undoubtedly miss stuff mate. But I wasn't for missing the 6th September.

Episode 4 covering 1942/43 up on the H&H network folks. I hope we did it justice.

Especially Rangers 8 Celtic 1 and the charade of Celtic’s rebuild.

Was another excellent listen. Really enjoying learning more about the history of the club I admit i didn't know much.
Years ago I do remember one older guy in our lodge waxing lyrical about how great Charlie Johnstone was.

I’ve always been of the opinion we absolutely should add the war years to our trophy count , I’m looking forward to listening to these pods to see if it changes my view any .

Love H&H best £2 a month I’ve ever spent .

I’ve always been of the opinion we absolutely should add the war years to our trophy count , I’m looking forward to listening to these pods to see if it changes my view any .

Love H&H best £2 a month I’ve ever spent .

5 episodes in brother. This week, no massive no field controversy so a look at a player called Murdoch McCormack - @The Meik's Crombie was pivotal in the research.

Chaps. In case anyone in interested, Epsiode 7 (final instalment) just landed on H&H.

Season 1945/46.

Back