The wettest game at Ibrox

Rangers v Osasuna in 1985.

Absolutely hammered down all day and a minor miracle the game got to the end. The subway got flooded that night and shut, it was a very long wet walk to Central Station that night.

Has there been a wetter game at Ibrox that didn't get abandoned?

I was there Copeland front soaked through and I looked like everyone had a steam coming from them I was 10 years old thinking how is this not been called off lol

Osasuna for me also. Roads were treacherous. A 6 hour return car journey wasn’t pleasant.

Absolutely hammered down all day and a minor miracle the game got to the end. The subway got flooded that night and shut, it was a very long wet walk to Central Station that night.

Was there
IM sure the turnstiles were fecked as well, had to stand outside.

Remember getting soaked at a game at Ibrox v St Mirren in September 85. We won 3-0, the crowd was singing "The Rangers are back" at the start of another false dawn in the mid eighties. Just twelve months later though and we WERE back. Need to remember just how quickly things can change at the moment too!

Recall early 70's - normal Saturday game, sure it was v the sheep. Lashed down all day, sky black, got all the way to Edmiston Dr with two pals and red board signs on the pavement simply said Match Off. None of yer mobile phones, social media or live reporting from the ground then. Happy days.

I was on night shift the night of the Osasuna game working in Bridgeton. I didn't drive at the time and walked all the way from Ibrox, just a tad ''drookit''.

Agreed, didn't get home till nearly midnight. Only stay at Hampden.

A friendly against Feyenoord in the mid 80's . Think it finished 3-3 and when the guy I was with got back home the wind had blown one of his windows in .

I used to sit very front row of the Govan front, mind a game against the beggars it was teaming down the entire 90 mins the rain was bouncing off the barrier bit and into my coupon the whole time. We won 1-0 think it was Davis who scored ... Beautiful

Same opponents in Walter's 2nd spell.

2nd row of the Copland Front that night and had to chuck it after an hour as I was utterly sodden. The wee steward kept chasing me from the top of the stairs and the TV's in the concourse weren't on that night due to UEFA rules.

Managed to sneak up the stairs again just as Hemdani rattled in the equaliser.

September 18 1985 The day my daughter was born..Still made the game right enough.Staunch or what.

Got memories of a game, possibly against United, and it was soaking. Only reason it stands out is Boli's sliding tackle that seemed to go on forever. He slid halfway across the pitch, won the ball and the place erupted.

Another one that sticks out was semi final against Aberdoom at Hampden, we got beat 2-1 and it was miserable. Might be the result influenced my opinion of the weather?!?

Laudrups first game at Ibrox when the ladies finally got a glimpse of him in the flesh was pretty wet...

A few i recall.. the 4-4 v mentally challengeds.. feynoord friendly 1984.... was the inter milan game not played in torrential rain n 1985
Feyenoord friendly for me. Cooper still managed to play his silky stuff for Ruud Gullit to comment, "Why have I never heard of this guy before". Our record 10-0 scoring UEFA prelim against Valetta was also unbelievably wet. Those 2 games stand out for me. Just

Not saying it was close to that bad, but was there not a game last season that it was absolutely pishing down?

i remember being saturated walking back to the car after we qualified against legia warsaw. i remember thinking how miserable i'd have been if we hadn't just qualified!

I remember a game at Tannadice in the late 80's. We drew 1-1 with Maurice scoring. Pissed down all day, and was in the uncovered terrace behind the right hand goal as looking at the TV. Soaked through and drove home. The driver's seat was still damp the following Wednesday

A few i recall.. the 4-4 v mentally challengeds.. feynoord friendly 1984.... was the inter milan game not played in torrential rain n 1985
Inter milan was 84, from what i remember it was a autumn feeling.
If there was rain it wasnt much, the 4 - 4 game was wet.

Without doubt. Went in my first ever car an old Mini and there were puddles inside on the way home.

Back of west enclosure that night, absolute monsoon weather

I went to a St. Johnstone game in the 70's & got drenched to the skin
Stayed with relations in Perth that night & got hammered
Got on the train the next morning & my jacket was still soaking -
Arrived at Queen Street to bright sunshine - but then spent the next week in bed with the worst cold I've ever had

I can't remember getting that wet at Ibrox

Walters last game for me. Sitting in club deck with my father in law and brother in law and absolutely stoats it down during the game and then walking to get the car at the end of the game was torture. Have never been so soaked in all my life as I was that night.

6-1 win vs Hibs at the start of last season must be up there. Witnessed a tree falling down on my way home just due to sheer rainfall as there wasn't even any wind that day. Was absolutely soaked by the end of it.

My thoughts went straight to this too. I was running late and had to park much further away than usual too. Water proof jacket tested to its limits and beyond, I got soaked through. Not fun. At least we pumped Hibs. :D

Not saying it was close to that bad, but was there not a game last season that it was absolutely pishing down?
Feyenoord or porto game i am sure it was my jeans were sticking to me fucking horrible

the result made it better right enough

Remember it well even though I was only 13

On the Kilbirnie supporters bus and the A737 wasn‘t built at that time.You still had to go through Howwood,Johnstone,Elderslie to get onto the M8 at Linwood.

There was bad flooding at the petrol station on Howwood road in Johnstone and always remember cars were stuck in this huge puddle.

Didn‘t think the game would be completed that night

Before I opened the thread Osasuna was the one I thought of. Was in the Govan that night. One of my friends from school was in his bed with pneumonia, got up and went to the game. Nearly killed him!

On the way home from the Oasasuna game I waded through waist-high water under the railway bridge at Haggs Rd just before Pollokshaws Rd.

No other game or night comes close

(The New Year Old Firm game 1987 - 2-0, McCoist and Fleck - was pretty nasty. My programme disintegrated !)

St Andrew’s Day 1960. Rangers 8 Borussia MoenchenGladbach 0. It was a Monsoon. The old Shed was rammed. The rain off the roof of the Main Stand was such that the front of the Enclosure was empty. I was 13 and couldn’t get near cover. When I got home after the game my skin was blue from the dye that had soaked through from my raincoat.

Also Osasuna in 2007 was bad if memory serves me correctly
shocking night and the team were poor .one of the very few times I've sat the the copland end and got drenched .
smoking ban was just in at the time and one of our lads wanted to leave at ht and they would 'nt let him out so he just lit up .hey big man ney smoking... your out :)) job done
left myself with over ten to go and walked into the wee rangers club just in time to see the equaliser hit the net.
was that really 13 years ago.goodness me

Marseilles was a wet one as well iirc in the same competition
The 4-4 game was a wet one- I also remember getting drenched in the old away end at Tynecastle in Nov 85 made worse by a 3-0 defeat- seem to recall the previous week it was similar weather though in the East Enclosure it didn't seem bad as we horsed the scum 3-0. World beaters one week and hopeless cases the week after!!

Back