The wettest game at Ibrox

Can't remember year but it was v Kilmarnock,pitch was cutting up badly,we were getting soaked at Rangers end,were winning game easily and play was poor coming to end.
We amused ourselves by cheering the "invalid bubble cars" as they finally slithered through the old muddy track and managed to exit the stadium.
Got pelters from parents when I got home,this was pre new subway.

Either Borussia Dortmund or Moenchengladbach in 60's. Torrential all game with one end with no cover and the other only half covered

I was in Tenerife for at the time of the Osasuna match which was nice for me but I was at the Feyenoord game for the KLM trophy friendly and that was on a par with the 4-4 game against the beggars.

In the East enclosure for the Feyenoord game and most of the crowd in there were under the main stand with a clear view in front of us of the game.

Rangers v Osasuna in 1985.

Absolutely hammered down all day and a minor miracle the game got to the end. The subway got flooded that night and shut, it was a very long wet walk to Central Station that night.

Has there been a wetter game at Ibrox that didn't get abandoned?

Have you seen the pitch in the 50s?

I got drenched at the 4-4 game v them. Just a youngster then so couldn't give a f'uck. :))
Me n mate were in east enclosure beside guy who'd died his hair blue for the day. By the end of the game all those in the vicinity had blue faces to go wi our blue noses...mate lost a shoe at our fourth, some game! Shame the jump the dyke spoiled it at the end...

Absolutely hammered down all day and a minor miracle the game got to the end. The subway got flooded that night and shut, it was a very long wet walk to Central Station that night.

This was the game I thought of before I opened the thread .

Osasuna for me.
Went to the game "spur of the moment" on my lonesome. 50 bus from Corkerhill got stuck in a traffic jam around PRW/Helen St. Had to get off and walk, absolute bucketing down

Read

[/QUOT
Read headline and said Ossuna - had to walk home to Kings Park tool 2 hours as you had to wade through water 4 feet deep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kilmarnock away in December 1994 was that bad the local river burst its banks. The abiding memory for me was that a bear opened the passenger door of his car after the game and a torrent of water came flowing out, obviously he had not closed the window of his car beforehand.

Last edited:
Not at Ibrox but the 1975 Glasgow Cup Final at Hampden v the mentally challengeds was particularly wet. North Enclosure that day.... monsoon conditions!

The 4-4 game was a wet one- I also remember getting drenched in the old away end at Tynecastle in Nov 85 made worse by a 3-0 defeat- seem to recall the previous week it was similar weather though in the East Enclosure it didn't seem bad as we horsed the scum 3-0. World beaters one week and hopeless cases the week after!!
Remember that Swinecastle game. Got home looking like i went through a Piggin Car Wash.

Davis scoring against the bheasts, Hemdani scoring v Osasuna, McSwegan scoring v Marseille.

Big goals in big games in big rain at the big house.

I effing love Rangers.

My first season ticket was for Govan Front row B. Anytime it rained, never mind torrential, I got absolutely drenched

That one v Osasuna in 1985 was definitely the wettest I've ever seen at Ibrox. I've still got the programme somewhere and even though it was inside my jacket it's still in bits, so wet through was I.

For an away game I'd go for the 1-1 draw at Dundee United in December 1989. It was a gale, freezing and the sleet was almost horizontal at times (though the conditions helped with our goal from memory :))). It was a long bus ride back to Greenock after the game in clothing that was totally sodden and I remember that no matter how high the heating was I couldn't stop my teeth chattering. I ended up with the flu and a week off work :))

Defo Osasuna for Ibrox in my time, one of our defenders did a slide tackle at the half way line and ended up Cessnock after aquaplaning!

The one that immediately springs to mind is Smith's last home game as manager against Dundee Utd on the midweek before the Kilmarnock game.

That one v Osasuna in 1985 was definitely the wettest I've ever seen at Ibrox. I've still got the programme somewhere and even though it was inside my jacket it's still in bits, so wet through was I.

For an away game I'd go for the 1-1 draw at Dundee United in December 1989. It was a gale, freezing and the sleet was almost horizontal at times (though the conditions helped with our goal from memory :))). It was a long bus ride back to Greenock after the game in clothing that was totally sodden and I remember that no matter how high the heating was I couldn't stop my teeth chattering. I ended up with the flu and a week off work :))

Mark Walters scored a fantastic goal that day at Tannadice

Reactions: ao2
Osasuna 2007 too. Also the old firm game Davis scored the winner in a 1-0 win, possibly 2009?

Osasuna 85 for me too.

Driving back to Irvine the Barrhead road was flooded. My mate's dad thought he could get through which he did, but the water was pouring in the car from the door seals and as the car ploughed through in the front the wake it generated meant the roof at the back was submerged for a couple of seconds. So wet, he didn't even stop at the Blair. No crisps and coke for us that night:)

Also sure that was the game both our full backs, Burns and Munro, got hypothermia which isn't an injury you hear too often these days.

The Dundee United sticks in my mind don't think ive ever been so drenched :))

Knew it was this game before I opened the thread. I remember walking back to Mosspark Blvd after the game to get a 34 bus and the underpass was 4 feet deep in water. Biblical fckin rain that night. Osasuna's first ever European game if I remember rightly. That was THIRTY FIVE YEARS AGO! Jeezo.

I remember a game at Tannadice in the late 80's. We drew 1-1 with Maurice scoring. Pissed down all day, and was in the uncovered terrace behind the right hand goal as looking at the TV. Soaked through and drove home. The driver's seat was still damp the following Wednesday

Is that the game where Krivocpic (sic) of Utd was subbed at HT due to hypothermia....

Aberdeen last year in the cup - got bloody drenched, i was in the Govan rear and forgot the mentally challenged Barrier was up so had to walk round the whole stadium twice

Was thinking about doing a Subway loyal for the first time ever during that Aberdeen cup replay at Ibrox last year, soaked to the bone, freezing and just wanted back to my hotel! Still stayed to the end though as I will never be a Subway loyal froot

Galatasaray 0-0 at Ibrox was horrendous too for the weather. Young Hagi's old man featured for them but Barry Ferguson marked him out the game

A few i recall.. the 4-4 v mentally challengeds.. feynoord friendly 1984.... was the inter milan game not played in torrential rain n 1985
This.

Bears in the covered Rangers end were singing "The Huns are getting wet to the tims in the uncovered away end, oblivious to all the bears like myself who were getting drenched in the enclosure!

What a game though.

One midweek replay in one of the cups against Motherwell at Hampden.
We won but iam sure Pettigrew scored against us.
And a night I will never forget the lap on honour with the ECWC soaked to the skin that night being a young yin and down at the front.

I know the one you're thinking of @dh1963 but that was a year later. It was Maurice Johnston who scored on that freezing day in December 1989, helped by a fumble from Main:

You are right, of course, the game I'm thinking of was 1990 just before dh junior was born. You'd think that would have helped me remember.

Osasuna - who remembers the Spanish girl dressed all in white front row of the Main Stand - she was unbelievable - hundreds looking up and singing to her :p

You are right, of course, the game I'm thinking of was 1990 just before dh junior was born. You'd think that would have helped me remember.

Your mind was other things mate, understandably ;):))

I can't find that Walters goal from 1990 online but I remember it well as I was there. Was the game not on telly?

Your mind was other things mate, understandably ;):))

I can't find that Walters goal from 1990 online but I remember it well as I was there. Was the game not on telly?

Can't remember ever seeing it again. Although the wife went into labour next day, so I missed Scotsport!

Rangers V Feynoord friendly was wetter than Osasuna and so was a Killie V Rangers match at Rugby park the one Laudrup was immense. Airport got closed night of feyenoord match, the river flooded all the surrounding areas, where the buses park at Killie.

23/03/1986 - Rangers v Selik - the game finished 4-4. I will always remember it as it was my first Old Firm game with my old man! It never stopped raining...

Back