The White Elephants of Italia 90

Seems to be the legacy of every international sporting event.

Isn't the city of Toronto still paying the bill for the 1976 Olympics?

Makes sense now, been to the Rome ground a few times for rugby got the bus from the train station no probs as your up about 4 hrs before the game to enjoy the bars and restaurants round about there. Coming back is the problem either small trams, walk to under ground or just walk the 2 miles back could never understand why they never had better transpor.

Marcotti mentions this on a Golazzo episode.

The Delle Alpi was allegedly designed by someone who had never been in a football stadium before and had no idea on the pitch sightlines

Makes sense now, been to the Rome ground a few times for rugby got the bus from the train station no probs as your up about 4 hrs before the game to enjoy the bars and restaurants round about there. Coming back is the problem either small trams, walk to under ground or just walk the 2 miles back could never understand why they never had better transpor.
What?

Seems to happen with every big international sporting event.

Africa has abandoned stadia everywhere from the World Cup, all falling apart and being reclaimed by Nature.

Some of the infrastructure still there and abandoned as well, bus terminals and rail links etc.

Seems after the initial adulation wears off and the tournament ends and the grant money stops, it all just gets forgotten and rots.

Africa has abandoned stadia everywhere from the World Cup, all falling apart and being reclaimed by Nature.

Some of the infrastructure still there and abandoned as well, bus terminals and rail links etc.

Seems after the initial adulation wears off and the tournament ends and the grant money stops, it all just gets forgotten and rots.
Not sure how accurate that is, many of the stadiums used in 2010 actually already existed and got refurbed for the tournament. All the main stadiums are still used to this day for football or rugby, and to my knowledge all the others are still in use for various events.

You only have to look at Glasgow and the Commonwealth games to see how much debt and wasted venues there are built in the name of ‘legacy’.

Rich (BB code):
In 2013 I spent a week in Sardinia just across from the old Stadio Sant'Elia and there was still an old Italia 90 structure next to the stadium.
The ground wasn't being used at that time and I think it may have been completely pulled down now, having only being built in 1970.

Italy 90 was the last of my childhood world cups so I've always had fond memories of it despite it not being regarded as a low scoring WC.

Still standing this year . . . just!
Aaaah to be back in the Sardinian sun on the Via Roma sipping a cool Ichnusa.

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate that is, many of the stadiums used in 2010 actually already existed and got refurbed for the tournament. All the main stadiums are still used to this day for football or rugby, and to my knowledge all the others are still in use for various events.

Google South Africa's abandoned world cup stadiums.

Plenty of them rotting, include the main feature stadium of South Africa

Iv been to Baris stadium for a game and it’s a concrete mess and a nightmare to get to. Got dropped off in a taxi on the hard shoulder of the motorway and then had to walk 10-15 minutes

Think this is a bit of a problem in Poland to a degree, big Stadiums built in Gdansk and Wroclaw - easy to get to but just far too big for the Clubs that play there really.

Soccer City? Justin Bieber is playing there in Sept. It's still well used as far as I know.
They maybe renovated them and upkept them since, but there was articles in 2016 that a lot of South Africa's stadiums for the WC were abandoned and starting to rot.

They weren't exactly in bad shape, just sitting unused.

Was it not Brazil that used a World Cup stadium as a bus terminal?

I was in the Delle Alpi for the Brazil game, a massive bowl in an industrial estate.
As I understood it the stadium was too big & out of town as you say. They have basically halved the capacity (& had a rebuild) but the location is exactly the same?

Iv been to Baris stadium for a game and it’s a concrete mess and a nightmare to get to. Got dropped off in a taxi on the hard shoulder of the motorway and then had to walk 10-15 minutes
When we played AEK in Athens in the early nineties we went by bus and passed this stadium, it just sits alone in the middle of nowhere
Really strange place to put it

As I understood it the stadium was too big & out of town as you say. They have basically halved the capacity (& had a rebuild) but the location is exactly the same?
The new ground is built inside the old one. Exact same location but better sightlines and no running track.

Oh absolutely.

Glasgow Life being desperate to sell assets shows how much of a mess things are.
It could be argued the relish and enthusiasm by Labour politicians to get the Game to Glasgow in the first place is that it was only ever a smokescreen to get the filth a makeover at the taxpayers' expense.

Salmond and Co came in and were only too glad to take over the financial burden that came with the con.

A crumbling shit hole in the East end of Glasgow, upgraded for the 2014 Commonwealth games,still a crumbling shit hole.
WATP

Back