The "winning ugly is a sign of champions" brigade

Gibraltar Loyal

Loads.

Check the threads after Lyon defeat and I've been sticking up for Bacuna and also made a big post defending Morelos against the nutters in another thread. Also declared some love for Roofe last night too.

Maybe read a bit more instead of getting a little semi moaning about me moaning.
Id have a permanent hard on you moan that much

TinyRick

These players have a lot of credit in my books. You've written them aff as if you just started following Rangers mid week.

Also saying "something stinks"... Did you not see how much the Hibs result meant to the players? Did you expect Hearts to be a pushover? I couldn't fault any of them for effort today, but we did have a bad day in front goal. That's football sometimes.
It's the same old attitude - accuse the team of complacency while sitting on a forum expecting them to absolutely hammer the other teams in the league every match. Same folk will tell you every other team is 'dross' or 'jobbers' while muttering something about 'standards' and 'happy clappers'.

They're the guys that, even after a 5-1 win, greet about the 1 and how it's a worrying sign.

Customers, not supporters.

Tailwind

The thread title.

Needlessly and hilariously confrontational.

As if supporters who do say "winning ugly is the sign of champions" owe you an explanation when the result doesn't go our way.

As if it's their positive outlook is some kind of personal betrayal.
I look forward to the get it up you posts directed specifically at Manhattan disloyalist when results are going our way. He'll admit he'll be completely fair game for that surely.

Midfield General

What about when it's ugly and you don't win?

What then?

Then you have today.

Warning signs have been there all season. This is not a surprise or anything new, but loads of folk played it down with the "yeah but we're still winning that's the mark of Champions" crap.

Can we drop this nonsense now and actually be able to talk, unhindered, about the problems we've got at the club instead of a plaster being applied to an axe wound literally every week now.

Wright - not got it. An impact player and a squad option. He offers nothing from the start.
Tavernier - rank-rotten and has been for ages now. Patterson must be breaking that managers door down and giving ultimatums now. Stupid, pointless free-kick that lead to their corner for the goal and a headless chicken all day.
Barisic - not much better.

McGregor fucked it for the goal, but made 2 saves that before that that looked to give us the 3-points - but that doesn't excuse his mistake.

Alfredo - chance after chance. I said on Facebook 2 minutes before the goal if we don't win today my eyes are firmly on him and a McGregor error doesn't change that because you always run the risk of that happening when you don't put teams to bed.

You have to look at the manager too. I've no problem with the Bacuna sub, it almost worked out because his touches were good on the counter-attack and cut them open - only for Alfredo to miss, as usual.

Alfredo should have been hooked. Why he was left on when it was clear it wasn't his day is anyone's guess.

%^*&-all spark in that final third and it's been like that all season. Even with Kent in the team. Something stinks.
You give a a lot of negatives there,which is easy to do,but you don't offer up any solutions.We missed several good chances which on another day would have been converted,I'm glad you weren't in charge last week when Alfie scored the late winner against Hibs.The only criticism I have is not covering the posts at the corner,definetly should have had a man on each post.

RH_2020

What then?

Then you have today.

Warning signs have been there all season. This is not a surprise or anything new, but loads of folk played it down with the "yeah but we're still winning that's the mark of Champions" crap.

Can we drop this nonsense now and actually be able to talk, unhindered, about the problems we've got at the club instead of a plaster being applied to an axe wound literally every week now.

Wright - not got it. An impact player and a squad option. He offers nothing from the start.
Tavernier - rank-rotten and has been for ages now. Patterson must be breaking that managers door down and giving ultimatums now. Stupid, pointless free-kick that lead to their corner for the goal and a headless chicken all day.

McGregor fucked it for the goal, but made 2 saves that before that that looked to give us the 3-points - but that doesn't excuse his mistake.

Alfredo - chance after chance. I said on Facebook 2 minutes before the goal if we don't win today my eyes are firmly on him and a McGregor error doesn't change that because you always run the risk of that happening when you don't put teams to bed.

You have to look at the manager too. I've no problem with the Bacuna sub, it almost worked out because his touches were good on the counter-attack and cut them open - only for Alfredo to miss, as usual.

Alfredo should have been hooked. Why he was left on when it was clear it wasn't his day is anyone's guess.

%^*&-all spark in that final third and it's been like that all season. Even with Kent in the team. Something stinks.
Forgot about the daft foul for the corner the goal came from. Crazy decision making.

MrStruth

What then?

Then you have today.

Aye but, eh aye but......

dt17

A mate of mine.....
Thought today was the best we've played all season tbh. Had Morelos not missed a hat trick of sitters, Roofe missed a sitter and McGregor doing what McGregor does from crossed balls then we'd be celebrating a comfortable victory for the first time in a while.

Not sure how you can blame Gerrard for all of the above.

Spart7

The performance in the 1st half was excellent, probably the best 45 minutes I've seen from us all season. Had we been 2 or 3 up, that would have been probably more deserving than what we actually got.

The 2nd half, while messy, we still created some golden opportunities.

Over the course, we should definitely have won the game. We have won countless others playing a lot worse than we did today.

So I wouldn't say that today was 'ugly' by any means, there was a lot of good football played.

When your creative players are putting chance after chance after chance on a plate for the strikers and they aren't scoring then its things like team selection and subs that come into question more than anything else.
Spot on.

HarryBosch

So if Celtic's momentum get's built up and go on a run while we keep on having performances and results like this, what then? it will have went from winning ugly is a sign of champions, to still top of the league to what then? I bet folk like you will be saying "look how far we've come last season was exceptional and we're still in with a chance of another league title"

Some folk just refuse to see what's in front of them because they find it more comforting than facing the truth. I actually get it, it's a coping mechanism. That's fine. But you shouldn't expect others to conform when all they are doing is being honest.
You've written that on a thread you started purely to get others to conform to your viewpoint.

Fitba*Daft

First half we moved the ball forward with conviction every time we gained possession. The old pattern of side to side, countless crosses seemed to be gone. It was the style of play we all remember.

The second half we reverted back to slow buildup, misguided passes, and missed opportunities.
Alfie was dire, even when he held up play, half of his passes were to a Hearts player. Alfie normally makes some very nice passes across the pitch, but today I think he made one.

The gaffer should have left Hagi on and left Davis on the bench.

Scaramanga

Thought today was the best we've played all season tbh. Had Morelos not missed a hat trick of sitters, Roofe missed a sitter and McGregor doing what McGregor does from crossed balls then we'd be celebrating a comfortable victory for the first time in a while.

Not sure how you can blame Gerrard for all of the above.

Gerrard’s subs were mystifying though, how Morelos stayed on the park is anyone’s guess.

Captain_Buns

What then?

Then you have today.

Panic merchant. As long as we’re top of the league that’s all that matters.

Performances are improving, we’ll get there!

Speminalium8

Teams who play well are more likely to win than teams playing poorly. Playing ‘ugly’ is not a means to the goal of winning. We played pretty well yesterday and didn’t win. It can happen. If we’re looking for reasons why we could say were it not for an uncharacteristic goalkeeping error and very poor individual performances from Morelos ( with his now very characteristic multiple missed chances) and Tavernier, we would have won. We could add the very odd substitutions which left Morelos still on the pitch, the decision at the end to sit in very deep and draw Hearts on to us, and also the fact we never chase a second goal as if our lives depended on it. The fact we played well was the encouraging part. Hopefully we can address the other problems and further increase the likelihood of winning.Up until yesterday we’ve been poor performance wise and rode our luck.

AdiGaz

What then?

Then you have today.

The winning ugly is a term to be used now and again not every game. We have scraped through too many already this season. Yesterday we have ourselves to blame and that hearts goal was coming from about 75 minutes might i add

fergie1959

No, it wouldn’t.
An ugly win is not playing well enough and scraping through, usually added to the opposition having created a bit more than one decent chance.
Today, we played well enough and created enough to have scored more than one.
The opposition created one real chance and struck it lucky when our keeper made the error.
Are you really saying we were not ugly second half? A football match lasts ninety minutes. It doesn't end after you score a goal. We were kept in the match second half by some great goalkeeping. Usually agree with you tazza but you are wrong on this one.

fergie1959

Absolute rubbish. You don’t call it winning ugly because you’re missing sitters. When you win ugly you score a flukey goal and create fxck all else.
I have answered this nonsense already in response to tazza. Second half we were very poor and over run by a bang average hearts team. I am always reluctant to criticise my team, but we were not good yesterday.

Jjbscotty

I genuinely have my doubts about winning the league this season the form Is so similar to that post Dubai trip a few seasons ago.

if we manage to keep it to 4 points up until Christmas and beat them in the new year game I’ll feel we will win the league.

Scaramanga

I actually thought his overall play was ok and maybe Gerrard thought a goal would come.

He was painful to watch in the box though and I honestly felt you could see the self belief drain out of him a little bit more every time a chance came his way. Sometimes you need to know when to call it quits and take a player off. Leaving a player when they’re getting worse and worse can do more harm than good both to the individual and the team.

tazzabear

Are you really saying we were not ugly second half? A football match lasts ninety minutes. It doesn't end after you score a goal. We were kept in the match second half by some great goalkeeping. Usually agree with you tazza but you are wrong on this one.
I’d agree with this but not over the ninety.
It wasn’t quite Margot Robbie to Nicola Sturgeon but, you get where I’m coming from.

nelster

Weird thread. Were you there ? The team was cheered off at half time such was the performance levels - as good as any Rangers side in any period.

Jaymuz7

Still stunned that we have not taken 3 points? I thought we played well for large parts of the game.

Criminal the chances we are not taking. We move on to Thursday.

Tino_Col

It's the "win 1-0 every game and we'll win the league " numpties that get me.

Being slightly better than celtic at a particular point in time is more than enough for some on here.

Spudgun

It's the "win 1-0 every game and we'll win the league " numpties that get me.

Being slightly better than celtic at a particular point in time is more than enough for some on here.
To be fair, being better than them will win us the league as nobody else is going to come into contention.

Tino_Col

To be fair, being better than them will win us the league as nobody else is going to come into contention.
At any specific point I said. I.e. Being only 4 points ahead of them despite it being their worst start in decades and us winning an OF.

Rosybear

Players will always have times in the season where they aren't playing well. There is no entitlement to win games just because we are Rangers, but we are entitled to want better performance and to take chances when created. We are all human and at our work we all make mistakes. It's just now when players are making mistakes they are getting punished.
Last season fans were moaning about waisting time in the corner in order to see out time, maybe other teams are just getting better, taking the one chance when it comes. Too be honest we haven't improved the starting 11 and It's maybe coming home to roost.

Jmlrenfrewuk

We played well in patches yesterday
we are just not clicking into top gear
we need to take the chances when we create them
we are creating them
this season has been stop start with Covid issues,international breaks and injuries
we still have the squad to roll over most teams

wee bud's pit boots

The thread title.

Needlessly and hilariously confrontational.

As if supporters who do say "winning ugly is the sign of champions" owe you an explanation when the result doesn't go our way.

As if it's their positive outlook is some kind of personal betrayal.
I'm not getting involved in your spat elsewhere.

But I have just one simple question for you.

Since the start of the season, what has there been to be positive about?

RedWhiteBlue

I'm not getting involved in your spat elsewhere.

But I have just one simple question for you.

Since the start of the season, what has there been to be positive about?

We are top of the league and 4 points clear of the only other realistic challenger.
Old Firm victory at Ibrox.

To be fair the league season is only 9 matches in and we've gone as far as we can at this point in the only domestic cup.

Europe has been massively disappointing but I am always reading on here that Europe is just a bonus so I guess we're not all bothered about that.

You say it's a "simple" question but the motivation behind the question is a bit strange. Like I am supposed to say "nothing positive" and you are going to reply with some kind of "gotcha" response.

Jeez, sorry for being positive and optimistic about my football team.

People acting on the forum like supporters who say "we'll still win the league" are making an actual promise or something and they need to be held accountable if it doesn't work out.

What I personally think is that we will still be ahead of the tims by 6 or 7 points when matchday 23 rolls around on January 26th (Livingston at home) and I think the next 11 games after that will see us in an untouchable position heading into the split.

If I am wrong then please accept my apology in advance.
It's just a prediction, not a promise.

Or if you prefer, I could say. "Oh noooooo the season has been pure garbage so far and all the signings have been rubbish and we needed that CL money and 55 will mean nothing if we don't win the title this season and Gerrard only won 1 out of 9 trophies and Tav is a serial loser and the tims are in the worst state ever but we are not 11 points clear like we should be aaaaaaarrrrrrgggh!" Would that help?

Coallie

This has been coming! We were hanging in against St Johnstone, Dundee and Hibs. However Morelos scores that sitter then it’s game over.
But he didn't no point in ifs & butt's the reality is we dropped another 2 points at home , for older bears there is a look about this season as it was for us in our 10inr season just never got going & an average tim team won the league this is looking very similar.

instructor

If we're best of a bad bunch and we stumble to the title then I will take this. During our glory years we won many titles without being brilliant. Last season we were very good but that is in the past.

wee bud's pit boots

We are top of the league and 4 points clear of the only other realistic challenger.
Old Firm victory at Ibrox.

To be fair the league season is only 9 matches in and we've gone as far as we can at this point in the only domestic cup.

Europe has been massively disappointing but I am always reading on here that Europe is just a bonus so I guess we're not all bothered about that.

You say it's a "simple" question but the motivation behind the question is a bit strange. Like I am supposed to say "nothing positive" and you are going to reply with some kind of "gotcha" response.

Jeez, sorry for being positive and optimistic about my football team.

People acting on the forum like supporters who say "we'll still win the league" are making an actual promise or something and they need to be held accountable if it doesn't work out.

What I personally think is that we will still be ahead of the tims by 6 or 7 points when matchday 23 rolls around on January 26th (Livingston at home) and I think the next 11 games after that will see us in an untouchable position heading into the split.

If I am wrong then please accept my apology in advance.
It's just a prediction, not a promise.

Or if you prefer, I could say. "Oh noooooo the season has been pure garbage so far and all the signings have been rubbish and we needed that CL money and 55 will mean nothing if we don't win the title this season and Gerrard only won 1 out of 9 trophies and Tav is a serial loser and the tims are in the worst state ever but we are not 11 points clear like we should be aaaaaaarrrrrrgggh!" Would that help?
Cutting out the histrionics for a start, that would be good.

If you're happy with what we've had to put up with thus far, then that's your prerogative. I think if we don't get ourselves out of this torpor, this season is liable to go tits up.

You can only go by the evidence in front of you.

fergie1959

I’d agree with this but not over the ninety.
It wasn’t quite Margot Robbie to Nicola Sturgeon but, you get where I’m coming from.
Like I said tazza. Second half was ugly. We could have lost. I take absolutely no pleasure in saying this. I very rarely criticise the team. We have been ugly all season. I have no idea why and it is very worrying. We need the Champions League money. Please take no offence mate.

tazzabear

Like I said tazza. Second half was ugly. We could have lost. I take absolutely no pleasure in saying this. I very rarely criticise the team. We have been ugly all season. I have no idea why and it is very worrying. We need the Champions League money. Please take no offence mate.
It would take something for me to take offence about it.
It’s an opinion.
Might be right, might be wrong.

wee bud's pit boots

Playing crap and still on top?
And the lead is starting to whittle away. And all because people are not doing their jobs.

Nah bud, no positives in that for me.

Of course we can't expect to win everytime we play, but it is the manner of the four points spunked away at Ibrox this season that is worrying.

GovanFront4

If you're happy with what we've had to put up with thus far, then that's your prerogative. I think if we don't get ourselves out of this torpor, this season is liable to go tits up.

The Gub raging at something there's a surprise. You've been miserable for 30 years so why stop now eh?

Cowan_rfc

I wouldnt say yesterday was an ugly performance, some of the football we played was excellent.

Morelos could do with being dropped though. We are out of form but Id much rather be out of form than out of form and down the league.

Must do better? Aye.
All doom and gloom? Not particularly. A bit of perspective is needed after a crap result on here sometimes but we tend to go far too negative/positive depending on the result

tazzabear

And the lead is starting to whittle away. And all because people are not doing their jobs.

Nah bud, no positives in that for me.

Of course we can't expect to win everytime we play, but it is the manner of the four points spunked away at Ibrox this season that is worrying.
That’s part of your make up though.
Difficult to please?
I go the other way.
I know, head in the sand, happy clapper, etc.
It’s all be said before.
You know what though?
I’ve been proven right a helluva more than I’ve been proven wrong.
I get your point with the points dropped.
We’ve played so much worse, including last season at times, but won.
Two games when we created plenty but couldn’t get the second goal.
That’s been the difference, we just can’t seem to get that second goal often enough.

RedWhiteBlue

Yes if performances and results don't improve we won't win the league.

I think they will improve. So there you go.