The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Increases our chances of maybe sneaking 2nd in a group of 3rd to drop to europa league all is more money for the club

Tweaking the squad we have would allow us to do that and I would imagine that continual improvement would always be high on the agenda anyway, however the only way I see us spending 5-10 million on a player again is for someone who would have huge sell on value (IE Kent).

While it will be nice to be back in the CL it will be an experience rather than with any expectation of us actually progressing to the latter stages.

Tweaking the squad we have would allow us to do that and I would imagine that continual improvement would always be high on the agenda anyway, however the only way I see us spending 5-10 million on a player again is for someone who would have huge sell on value (IE Kent).

While it will be nice to be back in the CL it will be an experience rather than with any expectation of us actually progressing to the latter stages.
The money from it is the most important thing it can push us to the next level potentially or give us a chance to really balance the books if necessary

Just a wee bump, nothing new though:

We´re working on three pre-contract deals, with Scott Wright being the one officially confirmed by SG.

Preston North End duo Daniel Johnson and Ben Davies are apparently also on the pre-contract drive, and we seemingly had a bid of 2m for (EDIT) Johnson rejected in January/Summer 2020.

Bright Osayi-Samuel, as noted in the OP, is off the rumour-list, since he went to Turkey.

Source (no need to click, its just a longer version of the above)

We´re working on three pre-contract deals, with Scott Wright being the one officially confirmed by SG.

Preston North End duo Daniel Johnson and Ben Davies are apparently also on the pre-contract drive, and we seemingly had a bid of 2m for Davies rejected in January/Summer 2020.

Bright Osayi-Samuel, as noted in the OP, is off the rumour-list, since he went to Turkey.

Do you not mean Johnson, or did we bid for Davies also?.

Do we really need another centre back? Or is this a younger replacement for Balogun?
It would certainly suggest one if not two of the current CBs going out the door in the summer.
As long as it's not Goldson and he signs a new contract.
I highly doubt either Balogun or Helander will be going anywhere.

Might be bad news for Edmundson and maybe even Katic,although after such a bad injury I'd hope we might loan out the latter.

So because Kamara, an internationalist that came through one of the best academies in the world, has been a success that automatically means every other player will? Absolute pish
Nor does it mean that other players from different backgrounds will automatically be a failure. Every single player is unique, we've had players from all levels step up and improve and likewise players from higher levels fail miserably.

He plays LB as well. IF we are after him, it may indicate that Barisic may be sold in the summer.
Is he an athletic, attacking LB who will chip in with goals and assists? Or a centre back who can plug the gap?

If its the latter, it doesn’t suggest anything with regards with Barisic.

Is he an athletic, attacking LB who will chip in with goals and assists? Or a centre back who can plug the gap?

If its the latter, it doesn’t suggest anything with regards with Barisic.
Played centre back mainly this season, I think nothing in this one to be honest.

Preston North End duo Daniel Johnson and Ben Davies are apparently also on the pre-contract drive, and we seemingly had a bid of 2m for (EDIT) Johnson rejected in January/Summer 2020.

Excuse my ignorance, who is Ben Davies, is it the Spurs player?

It would certainly suggest one if not two of the current CBs going out the door in the summer.
As long as it's not Goldson and he signs a new contract.
I highly doubt either Balogun or Helander will be going anywhere.

Might be bad news for Edmundson and maybe even Katic,although after such a bad injury I'd hope we might loan out the latter.

I’d take him to replace Edmundson but I really want to keep Katic, it would be highly unfair on him if he was sold in the summer.

Gerrard has already described him as a warrior and he is still young enough to get better.

He plays LB as well. IF we are after him, it may indicate that Barisic may be sold in the summer.

Replacing a LB with probably some of the best deliveries we’ve seen with a centre back come left back doesn't fill me with hope tbh...Chalk and cheese!

We’d be better getting Doig from Hibs and moulding him into what we want, he already has more pace than Barasic which is a plus.

Replacing a LB with probably some of the best deliveries we’ve seen with a centre back come left back doesn't fill me with hope tbh...Chalk and cheese!

We’d be better getting Doig from Hibs and moulding him into what we want, he already has more pace than Barasic which is a plus.

I’m taking our link to Davies with a pinch of salt. Probably just lazy journalism given Celtic have been linked with him.

When the time comes, replacing Barisic and Tav, and what they bring to the team, will be extremely difficult.

I’m taking our link to Davies with a pinch of salt. Probably just lazy journalism given Celtic have been linked with him.

When the time comes, replacing Barisic and Tav, and what they bring to the team, will be extremely difficult.

I would say so, centre backs is that last thing we need at the moment.

Replacing Barasic and Tav will be almost an impossible task, Wilson has his work cut out on that one. Both players have improved so much in their time with us, neither would look out of place in a champions league quality team.

Bassey is a development type player, if Barasic was sold in the summer would you really be happy with Bassey as our number 1 left back?

It think the likes of Bassey and Doig are a good few seasons away from the level we need at LB.
Yes Bassey is good enough to be our number 1, we arent in the market for finished articles.

Its not our development or transfer strategy.

There were plenty of folk unwilling to give Barisic the time to develop to the player he is and clueless folk wanting the dross of Warburton and Pedro over Tav.

Was wondering that, boy is very able replacement for Borna and has all the attributes we would want.

Far better than Doig

Doig has a lot of ability and is playing regularly at a young age, which Bassey hasn't done yet.

I like Bassey a lot, but he may very well end up not being as good as Doig in the longer term. No guarantees either way.

On the overall point, I think Patterson and Bassey can be good for us, but they'll need a lot of luck obviously. They probably won't directly contribute the same amount of goals and assists, but the team will adapt accordingly if not.

We actually have Bassey as Borna`s understudy, even Middleton (our fullbacks are usually not that defensively minded). We need to check the market for good options, should we receive a cool bid for Borna. Whether someone turns out a smash hit or not is everyone`s guess. Who on here rated Tavernier, Goldson or Balogun before their arrival ... just saying.

Yes Bassey is good enough to be our number 1, we arent in the market for finished articles.

Its not our development or transfer strategy.

There were plenty of folk unwilling to give Barisic the time to develop to the player he is and clueless folk wanting the dross of Warburton and Pedro over Tav.

You may very well be right there, I dont think I can judge properly based on his game time so far this season but he does look good bar that terrible game v St.Mirren but the whole team were off that game.

Maybe if we get the league wrapped up asap we can play the likes of Bassey and Paterson a bit more.

You may very well be right there, I dont think I can judge properly based on his game time so far this season but he does look good bar that terrible game v St.Mirren but the whole team were off that game.

Maybe if we get the league wrapped up asap we can play the likes of Bassey and Paterson a bit more.

With the way the league is going, the fact Tavernier rarely misses a game, and Balogun being able to cover at right back if required (played there a lot earlier in his career), I wouldn't be against loaning out Patterson for the rest of the season to get him a run of games.

He'll be lucky to get 4 or 5 starts with us between now and the end of the season. It would be a slight risk, but if he could get 10 to 15 elsewhere I think it would benefit him.

I see Bassey as a left CD or a Left back, and I’m still unsure if he will have the quality of delivery to replace what Borna gives us in terms of assists.

But he’s very young & that will be being worked on.

I see Bassey as a left CD or a Left back, and I’m still unsure if he will have the quality of delivery to replace what Borna gives us in terms of assists.

But he’s very young & that will be being worked on.
I definitely think his quality of delivery is or will be one of his big strengths. I’ve been impressed with his delivery in the games he’s been involved in and the YouTube (yes I know!) clips I seen when he first joined that was one thing I noticed, he could stick the ball in the box. I think it’ll be his abilities positionally that they will be working on with Bassey. Knowing where to be and when, comes with experience as well as training

I would say so, centre backs is that last thing we need at the moment.

Replacing Barasic and Tav will be almost an impossible task, Wilson has his work cut out on that one. Both players have improved so much in their time with us, neither would look out of place in a champions league quality team.
I disagree. If we managed to get Davies on a free that would be a coup just financially speaking never mind his qualities as a player. He seems to be quite highly regarded.

Goldson has 18 months left on his deal, Edmundson looks out of favour so might get moved on soon.

I’d take him to replace Edmundson but I really want to keep Katic, it would be highly unfair on him if he was sold in the summer.

Gerrard has already described him as a warrior and he is still young enough to get better.
My thoughts exactly mate he's still very young and raw in ch terms and a loan deal might well help him develop further imo.

I definitely think his quality of delivery is or will be one of his big strengths. I’ve been impressed with his delivery in the games he’s been involved in and the YouTube (yes I know!) clips I seen when he first joined that was one thing I noticed, he could stick the ball in the box. I think it’ll be his abilities positionally that they will be working on with Bassey. Knowing where to be and when, comes with experience as well as training

I just don’t remember any that caught my attention in games CB, but I’m happy to wait.

He’s 20yo and already has a lot of good attributes such as physicality & enthusiasm, so I’m not downing him.

I disagree. If we managed to get Davies on a free that would be a coup just financially speaking never mind his qualities as a player. He seems to be quite highly regarded.

Goldson has 18 months left on his deal, Edmundson looks out of favour so might get moved on soon.

Goldson could very easily sign a contract extension after this season, so could Balogun and even with Edmundson leaving we still have 4 very good centre backs, how many do we need? I think a steady centre back partnership is key to a winning side, I really don't like changing centre backs for the sake of it.

Our number 1 priority for new signings must be central midfield but in Gerrard and Wilson we trust.

Ben Davies is a nutter. Proper hard tackling midfielder. Will be worth a couple of suspensions a season, but arguably a type of player that we don’t have.
20 yellows in 142 games isn’t that bad.

Never knew he was a midfielder, plays centre half for Preston mainly & occasionally left back.

Ben Davies is a nutter. Proper hard tackling midfielder. Will be worth a couple of suspensions a season, but arguably a type of player that we don’t have.
'Arguably' for sure. I know many on here have a hard-on for someone who runs about kicking folk but its not how we play. Not by a long shot. If he's a player who can do that - but can also play the whole ball-retention game, the pass-and-move etc then fair enough. See Ryan Jack - though it took him a wee while to adapt as well.

'Arguably' for sure. I know many on here have a hard-on for someone who runs about kicking folk but its not how we play. Not by a long shot. If he's a player who can do that - but can also play the whole ball-retention game the pass-and-move etc then fair enough. See Ryan Jack.
“We need some steel, someone to win the ball back”.

Win it back from who?.

We have the fecking thing 90 minutes of the game, it’s lad’s who can keep the ball under pressure in tight areas & recycle possession we need.

Kamara & Jack are great at winning the ball back through reading of the game or their positional sense.

Davis is excellent at picking up second balls.

We don’t need someone to go to ground & give a ‘crunching tackle’.

Was wondering that, boy is very able replacement for Borna and has all the attributes we would want.

Far better than Doig
I like bassey. Looks like he will be a cracker of a player for us. Ready to step straight in to bornas place next season if need be? Not so sure. Maybe a season too early

'Arguably' for sure. I know many on here have a hard-on for someone who runs about kicking folk but its not how we play. Not by a long shot. If he's a player who can do that - but can also play the whole ball-retention game, the pass-and-move etc then fair enough. See Ryan Jack - though it took him a wee while to adapt as well.
I'm all for a player who likes a tackle at times- but unless he's very capable with the ball in the first instance it's absolutely of no use to us whatsoever.

Back