The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

erskine bear

If Coventry were to get relegated back to League 1 then that would see the price drop again as well.

A rebuild in midfield is our biggest issue to address imo.

Davis can't go on forever, Arfield is in his 30s now, Jack is constantly injured, Aribo is better further forward and Kamara is attracting interest from all over the place and could very well be away in the summer.

We need at least 2 new midfielders going into next season imo. Lundstram on a free and someone to replace Davis.
This is dependent on how many clubs are interested, it’ll have no impact if other clubs start a ‘bidding war’ which is likely to be the case IMO.

I’d be surprised if they got relegated too in all honesty. I agree with your other points, midfield does need considerable succession planning.

cav

That’s a fair post Cav, one could argue our midfield three has been playing so well though it’s difficult to rotate.

That said, you imagine he would have been given more than 8 minutes a game or whatever so it doesn’t look great.

I’ve total confidence in whatever the staff do, so no worries on my part. If he’s not at the standard then thanks for your effort, here’s your winners medal & off you go.
Spot on mate,the staff have navigated the very difficult fixture schedule incredibly well this season and deserve enormous credit.
I do feel they would have preferred to have rotated the midfield a bit more and would have done we're Jack and Arfield fit though.

I think we'll have to brace ourselves for some hefty bids for Kamara after the euros though mate,he's been unbelievable this season and could improve an awful lot of clubs with deep pockets imo.

CaptainCourageous

The midfield in general is going to be overhauled over the next few windows most definitely. For a variety of reasons, age, quality etc

Still don't see Zungu as a regular. He's a step down in quality (that's not dissing Zungu) to Davis and Kamara. He may be signed as a squad option but not for some of that prices mentioned.

Davis is 36, Kamara may be sold, Arfield picks up injuries every season, Jack has a long standing issue, Aribo is better in a more advanced area. It's certainly an area we are going to need to address if we want to continue to improve.

Drumchapel-Bear

This is dependent on how many clubs are interested, it’ll have no impact if other clubs start a ‘bidding war’ which is likely to be the case IMO.

I’d be surprised if they got relegated too in all honesty. I agree with your other points, midfield does need considerable succession planning.

Agreed that will have an impact.

Historically, they are not a club who has attracted large transfer fees though. Craig Bellamy all those years ago for £8m is the biggest fee they ever received.

Their revenues are only around 6m as well.

There's a ceiling to what they will be able to demand just like an Aberdeen or a Motherwell etc when they have an asset.

erskine bear

Historically, they are not a club who has attracted large transfer fees though. Craig Bellamy all those years ago for £8m is the biggest fee they ever received.

There's a ceiling to what they will be able to demand just like an Aberdeen or a Motherwell etc when they have an asset.
Good points, never thought about it that way.

Saltire

Playing devil's advocate here mate,but what we are willing to spend may well to a large degree depend on what money we bring in.

IF Alfie can show the form he's truly capable of,and Kamara showcases his own talent at the Euros we could possibly bring in 30 million imo-even with the negative effects of Covid taken into account.

Then there's the possibility of qualifying for the champions league group stages and the money that would bring- is it circa 30 million also atm? I don't know but it's certainly substantial.

Those two things go our way one or two players for Kent type money might not be unrealistic I'd suggest,but it's purely theoretical right now.
If the Gerrard and Wilson feel this is the right guy, at the right time, then we may need to speculate now with a view to selling Kamara in the summer and recouping the fee and then some.

cav

If the Gerrard and Wilson feel this is the right guy, at the right time, then we may need to speculate now with a view to selling Kamara in the summer and recouping the fee and then some.
I'd love that mate but it's a massive ask given we didn't sell Alfie in the summer past like we expected.
Realistically I can't see us spending much until the summer.

Kimarcus

Revenue is only £6m? Jesus.

KGR98

I'd love that mate but it's a massive ask given we didn't sell Alfie in the summer past like we expected.
Realistically I can't see us spending much until the summer.
For me Morelos should be the only big player to leave and use the 15/20 million that comes in to improve the squad season tickets and merch revenue should leave the books in a decent place after that

cav

For me Morelos should be the only big player to leave and use the 15/20 million that comes in to improve the squad season tickets and merch revenue should leave the books in a decent place after that
A lot will depend on CL qualification and what kind of money is offered for Kamara imo mate.
I fear we might get offered the kind of bids that are too good to turn down once he has a successful euros.

erskine bear

A lot will depend on CL qualification and what kind of money is offered for Kamara imo mate.
I fear we might get offered the kind of bids that are too good to turn down once he has a successful euros.
We as fans tend to overvalue some of our players, as do the tarriers

I suspect we will get a good bid for Kamara after the Euro’s which will see him leave. Don’t want to throw numbers about & de-rail the thread, ideally we could keep him but he’s our most valuable player IMO.

His playing style, attributes & age mean I think we will get an offer we can’t refuse with a sell on hopefully. Really hope he goes to Italy as opposed to England.

Valley Bluenose

Factoring in 'season tickets and merch revenue' the Board have already told us requires them to put in £22m - at least - to cover this season and next mate. That's not sustainable. I suspect we will see two big sales to cover a handful of incomings as we roll the dice again.

rfc_chris_rfc

Hamer is the type of signing we need to be making for the midfield over the next couple of years. I don’t think we will take up zungu’s option next year and I think we will bring in lundstram as well. Could well see our midfield options look like: Davis, Kamara, jack, arfield, lundstram, Kelly and new signing. That would be a great amount of options. On top of them you also have aribo who can do a job in cm.

Grigo Yossarian

Hamer is the type of signing we need to be making for the midfield over the next couple of years. I don’t think we will take up zungu’s option next year and I think we will bring in lundstram as well. Could well see our midfield options look like: Davis, Kamara, jack, arfield, lundstram, Kelly and new signing. That would be a great amount of options. On top of them you also have aribo who can do a job in cm.

Id be delighted with that Chris.

SuperGers07

Realistically we are looking at Davis taking a step back from consistent first team action and reducing the roles of Arfield and Jack due to injury mostly.

Kamara if he has a good euros then we can let go with our best wishes.

The midfield longer term is something that will be getting addressed as a priority over the next few windows.

Ideally we sign Davis to an extension and help him integrate his replacement (whomever he is) and then sign higher quality midfielders than those already here to take us on a level.

Drumchapel-Bear

do we think Kelly is good enough to play for us next season?

I haven't actually watched him yet but the fact he is playing every week in the SPFL and going by reports one of the best players at Ross County I would say that is extremely positive. Our other bright hopes in recent seasons have went on loan and struggled to make an impact.

I believe you really need to be special to come through our Academy and be a regular player for us. If you go out on loan as a young boy and you have enough talent to eventually be in our first team then you should be shining for smaller clubs when you are at them.

erskine bear

do we think Kelly is good enough to play for us next season?
I have really high hopes for him after watching him a couple of times this season, he controls the tempo for County.

It was good of the staff to send him to a team that try to play football, whilst also helping him learn that he won’t have the ball all the time.

Part of me thinks he’s being primed to take over from Davis, I think he may go on loan till January & then come back to learn from the man.

Speminalium8

I haven’t seen him this season at all, but he’s a very smart player. Intelligent. Hope he can physically develop, because he’s always been a lean boy.
I think nowadays you can change anyone’s body shape with specific gym work out regimes and these protein shakes etc. Huge changes can be made in 3 months. Probably best done over the close season so they are not tired out for matches. I think we’ve improved Joe Aribo in that respect. It’s something too we might consider for Ianis Hagi who already has the battling qualities and of course the class. We might not be able to do much about his lack pace but if we can give him a bit of bulk it may help him fight off and protect himself against the hammer throwers that fill Scottish football.

Grigo Yossarian

I think nowadays you can change anyone’s body shape with specific gym work out regimes and these protein shakes etc. Huge changes can be made in 3 months. Probably best done over the close season so they are not tired out for matches. I think we’ve improved Joe Aribo in that respect. It’s something too we might consider for Ianis Hagi who already has the battling qualities and of course the class. We might not be able to do much about his lack pace but if we can give him a bit of bulk it may help him fight off and protect himself against the hammer throwers that fill Scottish football.

Thanks S.

Good point on Hagi. It does look like Kamara seems to have been working out with his big pal Joe too.

The great thing about Stephen is he’s got it all in his head, a lovely player. A lot of players struggle as they rise in level because they can’t adapt to the quicker game & quicker thinking. I’m confident that Stephen can cope.