The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Hope we don’t, or we will end up with an unsustainable wage bill.
Tbh players who play regularly for EPL clubs tend to want top dollar when they move anywhere.
We were somewhat fortunate with Goldson as he wasn't getting a game at all iirc which I assume would make negotiations easier.

I would hope we have learned from previous mistakes when people like Martin Bain were making incredibly bad financial decisions on our behalf,so that we can keep our house in order in a sustainable manner.

Anyone who’s a bit more knowledgeable on the area, how much training comp would we roughly have to give Aberdeen?.

How is it determined, appearances, international caps?.

Genuinely curious, I’d imagine we will need to give them 6 figures either way but curious whether it could be £350k or £100k.

Anyone who’s a bit more knowledgeable on the area, how much training comp would be roughly have to give Aberdeen?.

Genuinely curious, I’d imagine we will need to give them 6 figures either way but curious whether it could be £350k or £100k.
I don't think it'd be anywhere near £350,000 EB, but I'm not sure how it's calculated.

I don't think it'd be anywhere near £350,000 EB, but I'm not sure how it's calculated.
I doubt it would be that either mate.

The reason I used that figure was I read an article the other day that whilst at Falkirk Ross Wilson was able to get a £250k development fee for Mark Stewart.

That was 10 years ago, so factored in inflation :))

Like I said I have no idea who it’s calculated, would be interesting to know.

If Jones & Stewart are going to stay then they’re not going to feature at all, so getting Wright makes sense.

If either one of those two goes to Aberdeen on loan or anywhere else then it makes sense to get him now.

I’m sure they’ll want him in & settling the next 6 months.

How is training compensation calculated?

The amount is calculated by multiplying the value amount to the level of training (this is determined by country and club) by the number of years spent training between the ages of 12 - 21. Training compensation paid until the age of 23 for training received up until the age of 21.

It depends on a variety of factors:

Terms of the contract being offered to the player by BOTH clubs
Playing record i.e. international / european / domestic appearances
Substantiated interest shown by other clubs

He falls into a lot of the same categories as McCrorie but, given McCrorie is U21 Capt, has played in EL and would have undoubtedly been on a more lucrative contract at Rangers, i'd assume any development fee for Wright would be considerably £350k.

How is training compensation calculated?

The amount is calculated by multiplying the value amount to the level of training (this is determined by country and club) by the number of years spent training between the ages of 12 - 21. Training compensation paid until the age of 23 for training received up until the age of 21.

He falls into a lot of the same categories as McCrorie but, given McCrorie is U21 Capt, has played in EL and would have undoubtedly been on a more lucrative contract at Rangers, i'd assume any development fee for Wright would be considerably £350k.
Good posts, he’s been at Aberdeen since he was 11, played in EL qualifiers & has U21 caps.

Which is pretty similar to Mark Stewart - which as posted above cost £250k on a development fee.

McCrorie is also different as we sold him to Aberdeen, for a deal likely more than £350k (we have a significant sell on + add ons).

I’d hazard an uneducated guess that it’ll be between £150-250k, however they may scrap that if we give them a loan & cover all wages for example.

Which I’d fully be behind.

Anyone who’s a bit more knowledgeable on the area, how much training comp would we roughly have to give Aberdeen?.

The main factor used to calculate the cost in tribunal is the category of the academy (Rangers and Aberdeen are both elite academies in Club Academy Scotland categorisation) and what it costs them to develop a player each year.

When Charlie Telfer left us to go to Dundee Utd, we received £200,000 which factored as £35,000 for each season of academy development from 12-18. I don't think you'll see a huge variance in that.

I imagine a tribunal would set Scott Wright to around £200,000 to £275,000. I imagine Aberdeen would accept less than this, this month with a few add-ons. Mainly out of fear if he went down south instead.

The main factor used to calculate the cost in tribunal is the category of the academy (Rangers and Aberdeen are both elite academies in Club Academy Scotland categorisation).

When Charlie Telfer left us to go to Dundee Utd, we received £200,000 which factored as £35,000 for each season of academy development from 12-18. I don't think you'll see a huge variance in that.

I imagine a tribunal would set Scott Wright to around £200,000 to £275,000. I imagine Aberdeen would accept less than this, this month with a few add-ons. Mainly out of fear if he went down south instead.
Ideal.

Between the fear of him moving down south, and them owing us money for McCrorie that I don't think they have, I wouldn't be shocked to see a fee of around £100,000.

The main factor used to calculate the cost in tribunal is the category of the academy (Rangers and Aberdeen are both elite academies in Club Academy Scotland categorisation) and what it costs them to develop a player each year.

Cheers mate, you would imagine common sense prevails & we agree a cheaper deal with future add ons.

Promising.

You might be surprised in that case. I'm sure the fee for Hastie from Motherwell was eventually agreed at circa £350k. I think Accies got over £200k for Lewis Ferguson - and that was a good while ago.

We'd still need to pay development fee, I think.
FIFA website actually says it is only due for transfers up to the end of the season in which he turned 23, so we wouldn’t have to wait until he actually turns 24 if i am reading that correctly? We could sign him the day after this season finishes and not be due any development fee?

20 Training compensation
Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when
a player is registered for the first time as a professional, and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday. The obligation to pay training compensation arises whether the transfer takes place during or at the end of the player’s contract. The provisions concerning training compensation are set out in Annexe 4 of these regulations. The principles of training compensation shall not apply to women’s football.

FIFA website actually says it is only due for transfers up to the end of the season in which he turned 23, so we wouldn’t have to wait until he actually turns 24 if i am reading that correctly? We could sign him the day after this season finishes and not be due any development fee?

Seems you are correct, for some reason I thought Scotland operated differently!.

The Peterborough owner has urged Rangers -linked Siriki Dembele to hold out for a bumper pay day with the club putting a £3million price tag on the striker.

The 24-year-old wants to depart the Posh in January and has put in a transfer request but owner Darragh MacAnthony says he's going nowhere unless someone meets his valuation.

The English League One club held firm when Celtic attempted to swoop for striker Ivan Toney before eventually accepting a £5m offer from Brentford which could rise to £10m.

MacAnthony has played down talk of a move in this window and insists the 24-year-old should hold out for a switch like Toney and attempt to seal a blockbuster £30K-per-week deal.

MacAnthony told the Peterborough Telegraph : “I’ve spoken to Siriki and his family and I was very fair with him and he was very fair with me.
"He wants to play higher which is fair enough, but I doubt it will happen in January so the best thing for Siriki to do is stay here, play out of his skin for the rest of the season and then I will help him get a move if he still wants it.
“If he carries on playing like he has in the last couple of matches he could pick up a salary of £20k-£30k a week just as Ivan Toney did last year.

“There is no money about at the moment, but there could be in the summer.

“The rest of the players are right behind Siriki. He has started to terrorise defences again and if he keeps going like this he will cement his position as the best player in League One. The sky will be the limit for him then.”

Peterborough director of football Barry Fry has claimed Dembele has been watched by Rangers on two separate occasions and is on Steven Gerrard 's signing wishlist

This threesome added to the OP

IN - Jack Simpson (24) - England, CH - Bournemouth, contr. till 6/2021 - LINK - TM

IN - Nnamdi Ofoborh (21) - Nigeria, CM - Bournemouth, contr. till 6/2021 - LINK - TM

IN - Siriki Dembele (24) - Scotl. / Ivory Coast, ST - Peterborough, contr. tilll 6/2021 - LINK (DR link) - TM

Last edited:
The Peterborough owner has urged Rangers -linked Siriki Dembele to hold out for a bumper pay day with the club putting a £3million price tag on the striker.

The 24-year-old wants to depart the Posh in January and has put in a transfer request but owner Darragh MacAnthony says he's going nowhere unless someone meets his valuation.

The English League One club held firm when Celtic attempted to swoop for striker Ivan Toney before eventually accepting a £5m offer from Brentford which could rise to £10m.

MacAnthony has played down talk of a move in this window and insists the 24-year-old should hold out for a switch like Toney and attempt to seal a blockbuster £30K-per-week deal.

MacAnthony told the Peterborough Telegraph : “I’ve spoken to Siriki and his family and I was very fair with him and he was very fair with me.
"He wants to play higher which is fair enough, but I doubt it will happen in January so the best thing for Siriki to do is stay here, play out of his skin for the rest of the season and then I will help him get a move if he still wants it.
“If he carries on playing like he has in the last couple of matches he could pick up a salary of £20k-£30k a week just as Ivan Toney did last year.

“There is no money about at the moment, but there could be in the summer.

“The rest of the players are right behind Siriki. He has started to terrorise defences again and if he keeps going like this he will cement his position as the best player in League One. The sky will be the limit for him then.”

Peterborough director of football Barry Fry has claimed Dembele has been watched by Rangers on two separate occasions and is on Steven Gerrard 's signing wishlist

I watched Peterborough at the weekend he was excellent tbf.

I like the idea of making signings when they don’t need to instantly come in and make an impact. Sign one or two this window like Wright and one of the above and ease them in to the side or loan them out in Scotland

Good posts, he’s been at Aberdeen since he was 11, played in EL qualifiers & has U21 caps.

Which is pretty similar to Mark Stewart - which as posted above cost £250k on a development fee.

McCrorie is also different as we sold him to Aberdeen, for a deal likely more than £350k (we have a significant sell on + add ons).

I’d hazard an uneducated guess that it’ll be between £150-250k, however they may scrap that if we give them a loan & cover all wages for example.

Which I’d fully be behind.
Interesting that you say we have a sell on fee with McCrorie - are you sure?
I did think the 350k fee was low bearing in mind that Aberdeen could sell him very quickly for a good bit more than that.

Interesting that you say we have a sell on fee with McCrorie - are you sure?
I did think the 350k fee was low bearing in mind that Aberdeen could sell him very quickly for a good bit more than that.
I thought it was fair price to be honest, but I’m sure I’ve read we have add ons & sell ons for Doc & RM in the athletic.

We 100% do on Doc, I’m sure Ross is the same (could be wrong).

“Rangers are linked with players on a daily basis so it is not news to me. We are actively trying to add to the group for the summer but I certainly won't mention any names”

Looks like it’ll be Wright & some pre-contracts, then that’ll be us.

I’ve got a feeling Jack Simpson is likely one of the players alluded to here.

“Rangers are linked with players on a daily basis so it is not news to me. We are actively trying to add to the group for the summer but I certainly won't mention any names”

Looks like it’ll be Wright & some pre-contracts, then that’ll be us.

I’ve got a feeling Jack Simpson is likely one of the players alluded to here.
Doubt that will be us, big summer ahead.

Hopefully keep all our players until we know if we will be in the CL group stages or EL.

Doubt that will be us, big summer ahead.

Hopefully keep all our players until we know if we will be in the CL group stages or EL.
I was meaning in this window mate, I'd be very surprised if we made any other signings until the summer. Which Gerrard alluded to the other day, If a Hagi type deal becomes available then I imagine we will take it up.

I'd be surprised if we were actively pursuing any big signings this window.

I was meaning in this window mate, I'd be very surprised if we made any other signings until the summer. Which Gerrard alluded to the other day, If a Hagi type deal becomes available then I imagine we will take it up.

I'd be surprised if we were actively pursuing any big signings this window.
Ah that is would make more sense.

Back