The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Playing devil's advocate here mate,but what we are willing to spend may well to a large degree depend on what money we bring in.

IF Alfie can show the form he's truly capable of,and Kamara showcases his own talent at the Euros we could possibly bring in 30 million imo-even with the negative effects of Covid taken into account.

Then there's the possibility of qualifying for the champions league group stages and the money that would bring- is it circa 30 million also atm? I don't know but it's certainly substantial.

Those two things go our way one or two players for Kent type money might not be unrealistic I'd suggest,but it's purely theoretical right now.
I agree, they are some good points & I trust RW to get some ‘speculate to accumulate’ type signings. It’s an exciting time in that perspective, hopefully your right & we do make some big money signings :)

I’m still not resigned to us having to make a big sale in the summer, I suffer greatly from attachment issues to players :))

I'd suggest Gustavo Hamer would be dependant upon us bringing in money for an outgoing player. Morelos would be the obvious fundraiser, though clearly different positions, but I'd hate to think we'd let either of Kamara or Aribo go - they are the pair we should be building our midfield around.

Option to buy, for £3.5m I believe.

That’s why I said in an earlier post if we are pursuing this lad, it probably means we aren’t going to take Zungu on.
Doubt it’s anywhere near that tbh. Was said around £1m but could be even less as his old club are in financial bother and he would only have a year left on deal

I agree, they are some good points & I trust RW to get some ‘speculate to accumulate’ type signings. It’s an exciting time in that perspective, hopefully your right & we do make some big money signings :)

I’m still not resigned to us having to make a big sale in the summer, I suffer greatly from attachment issues to players :))
We didn't make a big sale last Summer - having rejected the bids for Morelos. Reading between the lines of what was said at the AGM I'd suggest we are probably looking at two major outgoings this Summer to compensate.

Doubt it’s anywhere near that tbh. Was said around £1m but could be even less as his old club are in financial bother and he would only have a year left on deal
Just checked, was originally £4m but due to their financial troubles it’s been agreed at £2.7m according to a few sources. As long as we activate prior to June 2021.

Could potentially haggle that down a bit.

option, They gave him a new contract rather than him leaving for free or paying a 6 month wage on someone wanting out. Strange decision.
As Grigo said, Bongani & the club (Amiens) agreed it wasn’t right that they lose out on a fee. Therefore he agreed a further one year deal to ensure they get compensated.

Still seems like a lot for a guy who will most likely be used as a squad player and turns 29 this year.
I like Bongani (after I done some research) & his playing style is similar to that of Davis’, but he’s too old to be Davis replacement.

Only thing I can think of is we are going to loan out Kelly again next season, have Zungu rotating with Davis’ replacement.

It’s not like he’d never play, the amount of games we will be playing next season you’d imagine he’d start a few.

However, I tend to agree with you, it does seem a bit odd.

I'll be honest, with regards to Zungu, I would rather we use our resources elsewhere. For the price, his age and his performances so far, I think someone like Hamer would fit the bill better.

Nothing against Zungu, his performances haven't been bad, but he is struggling to get a start in an injury hit midfield and is getting on a bit. On a free I would take him.

If we sell Kamara in the summer then it might be a little different. We would then need 3 midfielders and our funds would be bolstered. In that case I wouldn't be against it, particularly if he is up to speed with our system. £3m for a 29 year old Amiens player with a year left on his contract is a bit heavy.

On the limited game time I have seen of Zungu I am not sure if he is up to being a replacement to SD as the low laying midfielder.

I am maybe being harsh on the lad but I dont see it and would be nervous if going in to a big game with him starting

P

id be surprised if Coventry rejected £5m. Especially with the pandemic effect, certainly won’t if they get relegated to league one.

Thanks NDC.

It does sound like the kind of signing we would make, player wise & strategy wise, so here’s hoping.

I can’t help thinking we would want the security of CL Group qualification unless the directors are confident in incoming bids for Kamara or Alfie or Borna etc ?

I'll be honest, with regards to Zungu, I would rather we use our resources elsewhere. For the price, his age and his performances so far, I think someone like Hamer would fit the bill better.

Nothing against Zungu, his performances haven't been bad, but he is struggling to get a start in an injury hit midfield and is getting on a bit. On a free I would take him.

If we sell Kamara in the summer then it might be a little different. We would then need 3 midfielders and our funds would be bolstered. In that case I wouldn't be against it, particularly if he is up to speed with our system. £3m for a 29 year old Amiens player with a year left on his contract is a bit heavy.

Agree HTP.

I don’t have strong views on Zungu yet, but agree with your thinking mate.

I like Bongani (after I done some research) & his playing style is similar to that of Davis’, but he’s too old to be Davis replacement.

Only thing I can think of is we are going to loan out Kelly again next season, have Zungu rotating with Davis’ replacement.

It’s not like he’d never play, the amount of games we will be playing next season you’d imagine he’d start a few.

However, I tend to agree with you, it does seem a bit odd.
I hate to be negative towards players especially when he's not played that many minutes,but the fact he hasn't played much despite the injuries to Jack and Arfield of late in particular- suggest to me the staff don't think he's quite up to the very high standards that have been set.
Not by any stretch having a go,but I feel it looks like the staff team might look for better in the summer if we do indeed have significant funds coming into the club hopefully.

I hate to be negative towards players especially when he's not played that many minutes,but the fact he hasn't played much despite the injuries to Jack and Arfield of late in particular- suggest to me the staff don't think he's quite up to the very high standards that have been set.
Not by any stretch having a go,but I feel it looks like the staff team might look for better in the summer if we do indeed have significant funds coming into the club hopefully.
That’s a fair post Cav, one could argue our midfield three has been playing so well though it’s difficult to rotate.

That said, you imagine he would have been given more than 8 minutes a game or whatever so it doesn’t look great.

I’ve total confidence in whatever the staff do, so no worries on my part. If he’s not at the standard then thanks for your effort, here’s your winners medal & off you go.

If Coventry were to get relegated back to League 1 then that would see the price drop again as well.

A rebuild in midfield is our biggest issue to address imo.

Davis can't go on forever, Arfield is in his 30s now, Jack is constantly injured, Aribo is better further forward and Kamara is attracting interest from all over the place and could very well be away in the summer.

We need at least 2 new midfielders going into next season imo. Lundstram on a free and someone to replace Davis.

If Coventry were to get relegated back to League 1 then that would see the price drop again as well.

A rebuild in midfield is our biggest issue to address imo.

Davis can't go on forever, Arfield is in his 30s now, Jack is constantly injured, Aribo is better further forward and Kamara is attracting interest from all over the place and could very well be away in the summer.

We need at least 2 new midfielders going into next season imo. Lundstram on a free and someone to replace Davis.
This is dependent on how many clubs are interested, it’ll have no impact if other clubs start a ‘bidding war’ which is likely to be the case IMO.

I’d be surprised if they got relegated too in all honesty. I agree with your other points, midfield does need considerable succession planning.

That’s a fair post Cav, one could argue our midfield three has been playing so well though it’s difficult to rotate.

That said, you imagine he would have been given more than 8 minutes a game or whatever so it doesn’t look great.

I’ve total confidence in whatever the staff do, so no worries on my part. If he’s not at the standard then thanks for your effort, here’s your winners medal & off you go.
Spot on mate,the staff have navigated the very difficult fixture schedule incredibly well this season and deserve enormous credit.
I do feel they would have preferred to have rotated the midfield a bit more and would have done we're Jack and Arfield fit though.

I think we'll have to brace ourselves for some hefty bids for Kamara after the euros though mate,he's been unbelievable this season and could improve an awful lot of clubs with deep pockets imo.

The midfield in general is going to be overhauled over the next few windows most definitely. For a variety of reasons, age, quality etc

Still don't see Zungu as a regular. He's a step down in quality (that's not dissing Zungu) to Davis and Kamara. He may be signed as a squad option but not for some of that prices mentioned.

Davis is 36, Kamara may be sold, Arfield picks up injuries every season, Jack has a long standing issue, Aribo is better in a more advanced area. It's certainly an area we are going to need to address if we want to continue to improve.

This is dependent on how many clubs are interested, it’ll have no impact if other clubs start a ‘bidding war’ which is likely to be the case IMO.

I’d be surprised if they got relegated too in all honesty. I agree with your other points, midfield does need considerable succession planning.

Agreed that will have an impact.

Historically, they are not a club who has attracted large transfer fees though. Craig Bellamy all those years ago for £8m is the biggest fee they ever received.

Their revenues are only around 6m as well.

There's a ceiling to what they will be able to demand just like an Aberdeen or a Motherwell etc when they have an asset.

Historically, they are not a club who has attracted large transfer fees though. Craig Bellamy all those years ago for £8m is the biggest fee they ever received.

There's a ceiling to what they will be able to demand just like an Aberdeen or a Motherwell etc when they have an asset.
Good points, never thought about it that way.

Playing devil's advocate here mate,but what we are willing to spend may well to a large degree depend on what money we bring in.

IF Alfie can show the form he's truly capable of,and Kamara showcases his own talent at the Euros we could possibly bring in 30 million imo-even with the negative effects of Covid taken into account.

Then there's the possibility of qualifying for the champions league group stages and the money that would bring- is it circa 30 million also atm? I don't know but it's certainly substantial.

Those two things go our way one or two players for Kent type money might not be unrealistic I'd suggest,but it's purely theoretical right now.
If the Gerrard and Wilson feel this is the right guy, at the right time, then we may need to speculate now with a view to selling Kamara in the summer and recouping the fee and then some.

If the Gerrard and Wilson feel this is the right guy, at the right time, then we may need to speculate now with a view to selling Kamara in the summer and recouping the fee and then some.
I'd love that mate but it's a massive ask given we didn't sell Alfie in the summer past like we expected.
Realistically I can't see us spending much until the summer.

Revenue is only £6m? Jesus.

I'd love that mate but it's a massive ask given we didn't sell Alfie in the summer past like we expected.
Realistically I can't see us spending much until the summer.
For me Morelos should be the only big player to leave and use the 15/20 million that comes in to improve the squad season tickets and merch revenue should leave the books in a decent place after that

For me Morelos should be the only big player to leave and use the 15/20 million that comes in to improve the squad season tickets and merch revenue should leave the books in a decent place after that
A lot will depend on CL qualification and what kind of money is offered for Kamara imo mate.
I fear we might get offered the kind of bids that are too good to turn down once he has a successful euros.

A lot will depend on CL qualification and what kind of money is offered for Kamara imo mate.
I fear we might get offered the kind of bids that are too good to turn down once he has a successful euros.
We as fans tend to overvalue some of our players, as do the mentally challengeds

I suspect we will get a good bid for Kamara after the Euro’s which will see him leave. Don’t want to throw numbers about & de-rail the thread, ideally we could keep him but he’s our most valuable player IMO.

His playing style, attributes & age mean I think we will get an offer we can’t refuse with a sell on hopefully. Really hope he goes to Italy as opposed to England.

Back