The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

21 goals in just over 2 years.

I feel like I’m putting the boot in, I’m really not, totally of the view that it’s not J D’s fault that we don’t play him.
21 goals in just over 2 years is one way of putting it.

29 goals and 10 assists in 63 appearances is another way.

If that was broken down further into goals per 90 mins, I'm sure it would be even more impressive.

In my opinion Defoe has been a great signing for us and I'm glad he'll get to experience winning a league title in his playing career before the time comes for him to call it a day.

I've got a feeling he'll depart in the summer and finish his playing career in the English Championship, or possibly even a return to Sunderland in League One. I'd imagine Jermain will feel he's still got another year of scoring goals in him as long as he's used regularly. I would certainly agree with him on that.

21 goals in just over 2 years.

I feel like I’m putting the boot in, I’m really not, totally of the view that it’s not J D’s fault that we don’t play him.
I also have nothing but respect for Defoe, but I wouldn't have given him a contract this season, nor next.

I don't think Defoe would have got a decent contract after Bournemouth . He would only be playing in lower leagues in England on £4k or £5k a week. Better with us and moving into coaching.
I don’t think that would’ve been the case.

He’d of been a good signing for most championship clubs when leaving Bournemouth. He’d still of had plenty decent offers. IMO.

Edit: I don’t mean he’s not better off with us he definitely is and I’m glad he’s here

Scottish Sun Sport

@scotsunsport

EXCLUSIVE: Rangers look set to announce the signing of Scott Wright in the next 24 hours

SunSport understands the pre-contract agreement for the 23-year-old has been reached with the Aberdeen star.

I’m of the view that a set of changes to the squad for next season could be a vital decision .

That will be three years of this project and some fundamental alterations would invigorate the squad , in a good way I hope .

however we also have to balance things out so I’d really like SD n Greegs to extend there contracts and while JD may want to continue to play it does seem like he has a key role in integrating that squad . On that basis maybe a coaching role would be an option .

Yeah, he was linked in the press so someone made that. It's pretty common for those videos to change title and thumbnail depending on who they are linked with the most.

I hope it happens though, would be a great signing
You rate him then? Have you seen much of him?

My estimation with the way the club are taking a view of signings with a view next season and the following, plus the contractual status of a few that:

•defoe to retire
•club to have a chat with Davis at the end of the season but I think there is a chance he'll also retire
•Golden (28) & tav (29) both out of contract in 2022, both looking for big last contract, Tav but potentially both away at the end of the season.
•alfredo goes

Means we're looking for across now and the summer:

marquee midfielder and potentially a second if Zungu doesn't cut it,

•a striker,
•long term replacement for arfield(Bournemouth boy#1), l
•Long term replacement for goldson/balaguen (Edmondson or Bournemouth boy#2)
• a right back.

My view for what's it's worth. I think we'll see a bit of transitioning at the end of the season.
Davis won't retire he still has a good couple of seasons left in the legs whether that's with us who knows but I still think he will be around next season. Agree on Defoe though I think he might retire or head back down South for 1 more year.

21 goals in just over 2 years is one way of putting it.

29 goals and 10 assists in 63 appearances is another way.

If that was broken down further into goals per 90 mins, I'm sure it would be even more impressive.

In my opinion Defoe has been a great signing for us and I'm glad he'll get to experience winning a league title in his playing career before the time comes for him to call it a day.

I've got a feeling he'll depart in the summer and finish his playing career in the English Championship, or possibly even a return to Sunderland in League One. I'd imagine Jermain will feel he's still got another year of scoring goals in him as long as he's used regularly. I would certainly agree with him on that.

I don’t think that anybody saying that it hasn’t been a great signing, it’s the cost in ££££ versus minutes played that is of concern to me.

But you probably knew that if you’d read the 3 posts I’d made in this regard, I also caveated the posts by stating that it’s not a reflection on the player and assuming that reports re his salary are correct.

Read a lot about Ofoborh’s attitude & personality too and instantly thought he sounds like a Gerrard player.

Simpson I’m less keen on, but heres hoping.

My work colleague is a Wycombe Fan they had Ofoborh on loan last season I think. He said he's surprised we are interested in him but he has potential.

We go heavy on the stats with recruitment so he must have something we are looking for.

He looks like a big unit.

Reactions: cav
I don’t think that anybody saying that it hasn’t been a great signing, it’s the cost in ££££ versus minutes played that is of concern to me.

But you probably knew that if you’d read the 3 posts I’d made in this regard, I also caveated the posts by stating that it’s not a reflection on the player and assuming that reports re his salary are correct.

I think your point’s worthy of consideration Virgil.

Let’s say he’s on 20/25k a week ?

Can we get more value for such a salary ?

No doubt Jermain has been a good signing, but we need to ask these questions.

We ain't giving up on 350k for a player we don't need now, that we can get for nothing in June. David Murray and Martin Bain don't live here anymore.
I don’t pretend to know what we would or wouldn’t do, but an alternative scenario is we get the boy in now he gets up to speed with living in a new city , new team mates and new training and he misses out in the settling in period in the summer.

I don’t pretend to know what we would or wouldn’t do, but an alternative scenario is we get the boy in now he gets up to speed with living in a new city , new team mates and new training and he misses out in the settling in period in the summer.

The sooner the better, as long as they’re not being idiots in their negotiations.

All very well but we ain't giving up 350 k to do that imo. We got Kamara in the same situation for 50. Aberdeen hold no aces here at all.

I think your point’s worthy of consideration Virgil.

Let’s say he’s on 20/25k a week ?

Can we get more value for such a salary ?

No doubt Jermain has been a good signing, but we need to ask these questions.
I think Defoe adds as much value off the pitch as he does on it. His professionalism and attitude have helped raise the standard for the whole squad and has contributed to us Getting in this great position in table and Europe.

I’ve read that we pay J D £40k a week, he’s seemingly played just under 6 hours f League football this season, 7 and a half hours n total.

I hope to fućk that figure is inaccurate.

Not sleight on J D, we just can’t operate at that level, assuming it’s true.
40k a week :D

All very well but we ain't giving up 350 k to do that imo. We got Kamara in the same situation for 50. Aberdeen hold no aces here at all.
We didn’t owe Dundee £200-350k in development compensation though.

I’d rather just pay it now & have him here improving his fitness, getting trained on our system & getting him developed.

My take on potential leavers.

Davis and Shagger will get 1 year extensions

Defoe will stay but in a coaching capacity

Alfie will move for a sizeable fee but not what we rejected from Lille

Kamara will leave for a fee just shy of Alfies

Edmondson, Jones and Stewart will be sold

Goldson and Tav will stay. When they lift those trophies they'll realise how good that feels, want more and stay for a pop at the CL.

My take on potential leavers.

Davis and Shagger will get 1 year extensions

Defoe will stay but in a coaching capacity

Alfie will move for a sizeable fee but not what we rejected from Lille

Kamara will leave for a fee just shy of Alfies

Edmondson, Jones and Stewart will be sold

Goldson and Tav will stay. When they lift those trophies they'll realise how good that feels, want more and stay for a pop at the CL.
Stewart is out if contract I'm sure .

I think Defoe adds as much value off the pitch as he does on it. His professionalism and attitude have helped raise the standard for the whole squad and has contributed to us Getting in this great position in table and Europe.

I agree Baz. These comments about his value to us behind the scenes I absolutely get.

Im just agreeing with Virgil’s point, that we shouldn’t just renew without consideration of what else we could get for a salary of 20/25k a week mate, which is a lot of money.

I’ll trust the management on the decision, as I think they have earned our trust.

40k a week :D

I read that figure on here so it’s probably boIIocks.

I did caveat my post by stating:

‘ I hope to fućk that figure is inaccurate.

Not sleight on J D, we just can’t operate at that level, assuming it’s true. ‘

How much is Jermain actually getting anyway?

I cannot for the life of me see us winning the league and then potentially ripping up half the team by , according to some on here, selling Goldson / Tav / Kamara / Morelos, with Defoe / McGregor / Davis all retiring.

Tav will sign a new contract imo...captain and just one his 1st major trophy.. he will want a crack at CL and to win more honors.

Shagger and Davis will sign 1 year extensions.

Unless something crazy happens, we will likely sell 2 of our assets this year. Likely Alfie and Kamara but I wouldn't rule out Goldson being of interest to alot of EPL teams..... his form won't have gone unnoticed and if we get £10 to £15m for him that may be enough to sell.

I just don't see a massive turnover of players ... a few squad players will go but not many of our 1st 11.

I cannot for the life of me see us winning the league and then potentially ripping up half the team by , according to some on here, selling Goldson / Tav / Kamara / Morelos, with Defoe / McGregor / Davis all retiring.

Tav will sign a new contract imo...captain and just one his 1st major trophy.. he will want a crack at CL and to win more honors.

Shagger and Davis will sign 1 year extensions.

Unless something crazy happens, we will likely sell 2 of our assets this year. Likely Alfie and Kamara but I wouldn't rule out Goldson being of interest to alot of EPL teams..... his form won't have gone unnoticed and if we get £10 to £15m for him that may be enough to sell.

I just don't see a massive turnover of players ... a few squad players will go but not many of our 1st 11.
Borna is 28 this year I would be looking to sell him with Morelos. Give Kamara a better deal tell him his move is there the following summer with potential CL football on the cards I think he would be up for staying for a crack at it.
His ball retention skills and style of play could be a real asset for us if we do make the groups.

I'll leave the concern about cost in ££££ versus minutes played, to folk at the club who actually know what the cost is and how that financially impacts the club.

I'm sure they have it under control.

My work colleague is a Wycombe Fan they had Ofoborh on loan last season I think. He said he's surprised we are interested in him but he has potential.

We go heavy on the stats with recruitment so he must have something we are looking for.

He looks like a big unit.
We do love a 'unit' :)) As long as he can play a bit,fits the staff teams ethos to progress and develop on what should be low risk terms sounds in theory like good business.

Wright if he can stay fit and improve his final end product could be a masterstroke.
But again,it's low risk and worth trying.

We ain't giving up on 350k for a player we don't need now, that we can get for nothing in June. David Murray and Martin Bain don't live here anymore.
We won’t get him for nothing, we will have tokay a development fee for Wright...which is likely to be around £350k

More than just about the on the field performance. His signing was about instilling professionalism, raising standards, influencing the dressing room, exciting new signings. He was never signed as our starting number 9, but a reliable back-up. He replaced Lafferty for gods sake, and yes, ay a greater cost undoubtedly, but if it indirectly helped bring us back to the top and 55, mo ey well spent!

Nuff said!

Back