The Winter 2020/21 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

I think your point’s worthy of consideration Virgil.

Let’s say he’s on 20/25k a week ?

Can we get more value for such a salary ?

No doubt Jermain has been a good signing, but we need to ask these questions.

Let's start an inquest into the wasted wages of 2nd choice goal keepers too!

For the amount they plays its extortionate!

We have a mentality at the club that is completely different from last year and the parasitic tics on our underside accusing us of caffeine doping because of our sudden change in professionalism, concentration and winning mentality.

And some of us as seeing Defoe as wasted wages?!?! ... Hahahahahaha

My take on potential leavers.

Davis and Shagger will get 1 year extensions

Defoe will stay but in a coaching capacity

Alfie will move for a sizeable fee but not what we rejected from Lille

Kamara will leave for a fee just shy of Alfies

Edmondson, Jones and Stewart will be sold

Goldson and Tav will stay. When they lift those trophies they'll realise how good that feels, want more and stay for a pop at the CL.
I'm hoping Buff will stay for a crack at the champions league.

We have a mentality at the club that is completely different from last year and the parasitic tics on our underside accusing us of caffeine doping because of our sudden change in professionalism, concentration and winning mentality.

I never said he was a waste of wages mate.

I think it was a decision that has proven to be correct to sign him.

But at what age do we say that money can be better spent elsewhere ? When he’s 45 ?

Personally I’d consider him for a player / coach role.

I never said he was a waste of wages mate.

I think it was a decision that has proven to be correct to sign him.

But at what age do we say that money can be better spent elsewhere ? When he’s 45 ?

Personally I’d consider him for a player / coach role.

Ach, that's for contract negotiations. We honour his existing, we arnt rushing him out the door. And his new contract if he does sign one after this will understandably be at a lower level again as is the industry standard at this stage in a career. If someone else wants to pay him more elsewhere fair play to them (and him if he fancies the challenge) and he will go with our best wishes.

Remember: this is going to be Defoes first league title. I don't think he's in a rush to leave from what I can see!

He's 38, barely plays and when he does it's minutes that would be more valuable going to Itten

My take on potential leavers.

Davis and Shagger will get 1 year extensions

Defoe will stay but in a coaching capacity

Alfie will move for a sizeable fee but not what we rejected from Lille

Kamara will leave for a fee just shy of Alfies

Edmondson, Jones and Stewart will be sold

Goldson and Tav will stay. When they lift those trophies they'll realise how good that feels, want more and stay for a pop at the CL.
Agree with this but I'd be inclined to give him a player/coach deal. Hes still fit enough and sharo enough to offer something, even if he plays 5-10 games over the course of next season covering for injuries/suspensions etc.

I don’t think that anybody saying that it hasn’t been a great signing, it’s the cost in ££££ versus minutes played that is of concern to me.

But you probably knew that if you’d read the 3 posts I’d made in this regard, I also caveated the posts by stating that it’s not a reflection on the player and assuming that reports re his salary are correct.
Defoe has probably cost us a grand total of a couple of million. He scores almost every time he gets a decent run out on the pitch. He also adds much more off the pitch and on the training ground with his team mates.

He contributes massively off the pitch with experience, mentality etc, imo has had a massive impact on the improvement of our entire team. Just having someone like him around.

To suggest paying his wages isnt justified is just silly all things considered.

His experience, proess, knowledge and time for his team mates has probably added a few hundred k value (bare minimum) to several players in our squad, each! Tally that up.

Defoe scores for fun, but he wasnt just brought here for his impact on the pitch. How much have roofe alfie itten etc learned from having him around? How much has that increased their value? Thats just the forward players, he has probably helped and coached even the defenders and midfielders. He gives his all to everyone.

In hindsight and looking at the bigger picture he is a genius acquisition financially

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Baz. These comments about his value to us behind the scenes I absolutely get.

Im just agreeing with Virgil’s point, that we shouldn’t just renew without consideration of what else we could get for a salary of 20/25k a week mate, which is a lot of money.

I’ll trust the management on the decision, as I think they have earned our trust.
I already wrote this to virgil. But will send
again to you incase you miss that post.
Think about it differently mate. Defoe has probably cost us a grand total of a couple of million. He scores almost every time he gets a decent run out on the pitch. He also adds much more off the pitch and on the training ground with his team mates.

He contributes massively off the pitch with experience, mentality etc, imo has had a massive impact on the improvement of our entire team. Just having someone like him around.

His experience, proess, knowledge and time for his team mates has probably added a few hundred k value (bare minimum) to several players in our squad, each! Tally that up.

Defoe scores for fun, but he wasnt just brought here for his impact on the pitch. How much have roofe alfie itten etc learned from having him around? How much has that increased their value? Thats just the forward players, he has probably helped and coached even the defenders and midfielders. He gives his all to everyone.

In hindsight and looking at the bigger picture he is a genius acquisition financially

Agree 100%. Post 1625.

I already wrote this to virgil. But will send
again to you incase you miss that post.
Think about it differently mate. Defoe has probably cost us a grand total of a couple of million. He scores almost every time he gets a decent run out on the pitch. He also adds much more off the pitch and on the training ground with his team mates.

Maybe you misread My posts Uncle G.

I suggested that we should consider a player coach role for Jermain Defoe.

As he gets older, his capability of offering us on the field is falling / will fall.

However the attributes you suggest he has, I think he has them as well.

What I also said, which you may disagree with, is at his age, when will his contribution on the pitch not be worth the cost ?

I stand by that, because as Itten settles in he will need & deserve more game time, meanwhile Jermain’s lack of physicality & pace, already apparent, and I won’t bore you with examples, will increase.

Is he a good finisher ? Of course. But the higher the level of match, the more the game is played outside the box.

That’s why I’d offer him the role I suggested.

I believe Defoe has been a really good signing for us...when we signed him we only really had Buf as a number 9 so I’d guess he’s on a a very decent wage (15-20 k I’d imagine) with us.

How JD carry’s himself on & off the pitch is so professional. No doubt about he has really help’d the younger players in the squad but also every single player within the Club.

He’s not played as often as he would have liked & you've not heard one negative jibe or report coming from his end.

However I’m in the same opinion as Grigo I believe his wages would be best used else where especially when we have Roofe, Buff & Itten. If he fancied a player coach role (on reduced wages) then great but just because he’s a top pro doesn’t necessarily mean he will be able to coach but I’d definitely ask him the question.

He deserves to win this title with us & I’m sure the Boss will look after him regard playing time. What a career he has had & when we signed him 2 years ago I was shocked we got him. Definitely the Ge55ard factor.

Maybe you misread My posts Uncle G.

I suggested that we should consider a player coach role for Jermain Defoe.

As he gets older, his capability of offering us on the field is falling / will fall.

However the attributes you suggest he has, I think he has them as well.

What I also said, which you may disagree with, is at his age, when will his contribution on the pitch not be worth the cost ?

I stand by that, because as Itten settles in he will need & deserve more game time, meanwhile Jermain’s lack of physicality & pace, already apparent, and I won’t bore you with examples, will increase.

Is he a good finisher ? Of course. But the higher the level of match, the more the game is played outside the box.

That’s why I’d offer him the role I suggested.
Yeah mate. I just noticed you agreeing with a post that he was possibly overpaid/not worthwhile

Y
Josh Doig being watched by a few clubs down south, not surprised. Kid looks like he’s got a lot of talent, think we should be looking at him. Could be a long term replacement for Borna and I wouldn’t imagine he’d cost too much. Young and Scottish, him and Paterson could be our wing backs for years to come.
Yeah he’s certainly looked the part anytime I’ve seen him...especially @ 18 years of age.

Another poster was saying we’ve got a really good prospect in the Youths called Maxwell who plays left back too.

However I would be pushing for Doig from what I’ve seen he looks very promising.

How long has Doig got left on his deal at Hibs?

If it’s anything more than 2 years they’ll want a shit load of cash from us.

Good player, lot of potential but it would daft of me to say he’s been brilliant every time I’ve watched.

I’ve paid a close eye to him since earlier on in the season, he’s had some great games but also some howlers.
Y

Yeah he’s certainly looked the part anytime I’ve seen him...especially @ 18 years of age.

Another poster was saying we’ve got a really good prospect in the Youths called Maxwell who plays left back too.

However I would be pushing for Doig from what I’ve seen he looks very promising.
Maxwell has been brilliant this season at Palmerston, big fans favourite but he looks like a wean.

It’s a case of him hitting the gym & protein, I like him. Very comfortable coming inside or going outside past defenders.

Good player, lot of potential but it would daft of me to say he’s been brilliant every time I’ve watched.

I’ve paid a close eye to him since earlier on in the season, he’s had some great games but also some howlers.

Maxwell has been brilliant this season at Palmerston, big fans favourite but he looks like a wean.

It’s a case of him hitting the gym & protein, I like him. Very comfortable coming inside or going outside past defenders.
Regarding Doig I think he would develop more by playing week in week out @ Hibs as he won’t dislodge Borna at this moment in time but in 2/3 seasons he could be a star for us.

Could we tap him up tell him not to sign any other contact with them & we sign him for free in summer 2023 ;)

Page is now taken down what did it say?
The Ibrox manager admits it's out of his hands on whether Wright joins the club in January

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has hinted that more transfer news could come in the couple of days as he praised the pre-contract signing of Scott Wright.

The Aberdeen winger signed a three-year deal to begin in the summer and Rangers will now push to get him in before the end of the January window.

They've also been heavily linked with moves for Bournemouth pair Jack Simpson and Nnamdi Oforborh while youngsters such as Glenn Middleton, Dapo Mebude and Ben Williamson have all been sent out on loan over the last week.

Middleton has joined St Johnstone on loan after a difficult couple of years since he broke into the Rangers team in Gerrard's first season.

Loan spells at Hibs and Bradford were disappointing but he's still young enough to turn it around at Ibrox and Gerrard hopes he can force himself into the St Johnstone first team.

Gerrard was quick to say nothing was imminent but he did suggest that there could be more news on potential incomings and outgoings over the next few days.

A deal could still be done for Wright but Gerrard admits that is out of his hands as he said: "We’re not in control of that, we’re really pleased and delighted to get Scott signed up and we’re looking forward to welcoming him with open arms come the summer.

He said: "Young Glenn Middleton has gone out and Callum (Davidson) has given him a fantastic opportunity to join them and we’re hoping he gets some good game time there and he really pushed for game time.

"He’s had a couple of indifferent loans so this is a big moment for Glenn to go and grab that opportunity and force his way into the team and try and stay there and prove that he can be a standout player at this level. We’ll assess Glenn come the summer again.

"There’s no other news in terms of ins or outs right now, where I’m sitting.
"We’re hoping to have some more news in the coming days with certain situations we’ve been looking into but right now I can’t really give you any more on that."
Wright could join before the end of the month with Aberdeen fans taking to social media to call for the club to drop him or let him leave soon.

Ryan Jack sent him a welcome message on social media on Monday but Gerrard insists it's out of his hands on whether he arrives this week.

He said: "He’s a really good player, he’s at a good age, Aberdeen have done a fantastic job and so has Derek in terms of his development and where he’s at.

"We’re hoping to keep pushing in that direction when he joins in the summer, it’s something we’re really looking forward to.

"It would be a bonus if we could get it done now, for me, but we don’t control that. It’s in Aberdeen’s control and we respect that."

Gerrard said in his press conference today that he hoped there would be further news in a couple of days so presumably was a write up of those comments. I imagine he was referring to the Bournemouth lads.

I think he was talking about outgoings.

Back