Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect to Souttar, unless someone is imminently moving out then don’t see the point in pursuing this now. Defence is looking more solid and we have priority areas in midfield and wide right that need addressing first

We’ve been playing a left back there for weeks, meaning we literally had no cover for left back had anything happened to Borna. Balogun and Helander are unreliable due to injury.

As we all know, there’s the guts of 40 million at stake, the less left to chance the better.

Some players have a good time now, some players don`t. Happens all over the place. It is rather easy to point at injuries etc. of certain players, not least those who are currently out or have been out this or last season, but that does not exactly make them "prone" to injuries per se. To add some flesh to the bones, I scanned Transfermarkt for details.

We`ve been lucky with Goldson who missed exactly 3 games since signing for us, all in season 2018/19. He did have a heart condition in 2016/17 though and as we have seen with Ofoborh (and dare I say Erikssen), that is a tricky matter.
Balogun has missed 23 games for us, 13 of which last season, 10 this season. Still, the list of injuries includes two serious ones, even though he seems to be prone to the odd knock. He did play in 47 games, 5 as right-back. Whether he was first choice for all the rest of games is a matter of question.
Helander had a wretched time with us, so far missing 49 games, 27 of which this season. In all his seasons since 2015 onwards though, he had just 8 breaks for injuries/illnesses, missing a total 31 games (whether being first choice or not is unknown) over the course of 4 seasons, 2-5 games per injury and illness. Those injuries he suffered with us are neither of the "prone" variety, but two serious ones, methinks one even inflicted by a "rash" tackle (ankle).
Borna is the only other one of our defensive chaps that looks prone to the odd knock, suffering 6 injuries since 2018, missing a total of 31 games, 7 of which this season. And his injuries are of the IMHO "prone" variety, knock, calf, back trouble etc.. Same category as Kemar Roofe, who had various knocks, calf and thigh problems over the seasons, missing 20 games since he`s signed up.

Obviously, "missing games" does not exactly mean that each respective player would actually have played anyway, Balogun and Roofe were not always first pick under SG.

BTW, those interested in the injury "record" of Skov Olsen, he had some peculiar stuff these last few years too. And John Souttar`s may set a few Bears` hearts into the uneasy mode.

Totally agree - buy cheap and buy twice

I’d rather hold on to what little we may or may not have and put it towards someone really good.

I do think we’ve tried to enhance the XI with Lundstram and Sakala but it’s just not worked out that way - but that doesn’t mean we revert to the cheap route either instead because for every Morelos or Barisic there’s loads more Grezda’s or Jack Simpsons
And for every Glen Kamara there is a soro. For every leon balogun there is a starfeldt. For Every Allan McGregor there is a Barkas. For every Joe Aribo there is a Mccarthy. For every Calvin Bassey there is a Duffy. For every Scot Arfield there is a Sved. For every Steven Davis there is a....you get the picture.

We have done pretty well going cheap.

Some players have a good time now, some players don`t. Happens all over the place. It is rather easy to point at injuries etc. of certain players, not least those who are currently out or have been out this or last season, but that does not exactly make them "prone" to injuries per se. To add some flesh to the bones, I scanned Transfermarkt for details.

We`ve been lucky with Goldson who missed exactly 3 games since signing for us, all in season 2018/19. He did have a heart condition in 2016/17 though and as we have seen with Ofoborh (and dare I say Erikssen), that is a tricky matter.
Balogun has missed 23 games for us, 13 of which last season, 10 this season. Still, the list of injuries includes two serious ones, even though he seems to be prone to the odd knock. He did play in 47 games, 5 as right-back. Whether he was first choice for all the rest of games is a matter of question.
Helander had a wretched time with us, so far missing 49 games, 27 of which this season. In all his seasons since 2015 onwards though, he had just 8 breaks for injuries/illnesses, missing a total 31 games (whether being first choice or not is unknown) over the course of 4 seasons, 2-5 games per injury and illness. Those injuries he suffered with us are neither of the "prone" variety, but two serious ones, methinks one even inflicted by a "rash" tackle (ankle).
Borna is the only other one of our defensive chaps that looks prone to the odd knock, suffering 6 injuries since 2018, missing a total of 31 games, 7 of which this season. And his injuries are of the IMHO "prone" variety, knock, calf, back trouble etc.. Same category as Kemar Roofe, who had various knocks, calf and thigh problems over the seasons, missing 20 games since he`s signed up.

Obviously, "missing games" does not exactly mean that each respective player would actually have played anyway, Balogun and Roofe were not always first pick under SG.

BTW, those interested in the injury "record" of Skov Olsen, he had some peculiar stuff these last few years too. And John Souttar`s may set a few Bears` hearts into the uneasy mode.
Very interesting mate, I think when you look at getting value for players it's tough for supporters to see us spending 3 million or so on the likes of Helander and Roofe when they have such poor injury records.

Not having a go at either btw, they're just unfortunately prone to injury which happens to many players in elite level sport.

It is frustrating for us spending our hard earned at times though is all I'm saying.

They're not going to send him up for 2 games against Dortmund and 2/3 games against the tims. He's too good for the league we play in and he won't be tested week in week out.

Loan fees Chelsea command for first team players and wages makes it a total non starter as well.
Although I don’t think it’s likely that is quite a lot of big games for 4/5 months of football, including the Scotland qualifiers it would be a very good half year experience wise for him

Very interesting mate, I think when you look at getting value for players it's tough for supporters to see us spending 3 million or so on the likes of Helander and Roofe when they have such poor injury records.

Not having a go at either btw, they're just unfortunately prone to injury which happens to many players in elite level sport.

It is frustrating for us spending our hard earned at times though is all I'm saying.
Yep, but you`ll never know. Helander`s been unlucky with serious injuries, things that can happen to anyone. Mind you, we might have lost Kent on those plastic turf pitches and 7m would be sitting on the sidelines. But how can you plan for that or foresee it? In that respect, you do play a bit of a gamble with the likes of Barisic, Balogun and Roofe, but also keep in mind that they might not be first picks anyway.

Reactions: cav
Neilson just said he is injured and he can’t see him moving this window unless a big offer comes in which has not happened

They are a car crash club wish e had gone elsewhere as I like ZR . Something says he might be Dundonian anyone know ?
Nah he's from the Edinburgh area and a Hibs fan. Shame it's a pre-contract as we lose out on some small cash from a sell on but maybe a deal between the sides to get it done now might happen.

To be fair, he’s not going to say anything else with regards to it - keeps the fans on side.
I'm happy enough with the GVB version of Goldson, Helander and Balogun back from injury, and Bassey and King in reserve until season end.

Souttar and hopefully- Doekhi, on pre contracts for the summer replacing the outgoing Goldson and Balogun is a reasonable trade off, disappointing though it is they the former looks to be going.

I haven't mentioned Simpson on purpose, hopefully he'll find a club even if it's a loan with option to buy. No harm to the lad, but he's out of his depth at our level.

Tottenham have been linked with Club Brugge’s attacking midfielder Charles De Ketelaere. He’s a starter for them so maybe if that’s concrete interest it will set off a chain of reactions in terms of signings and allow Brugge to sign Skov Olsen and Bologna to replace Olsen etc.

Tottenham have been linked with Club Brugge’s attacking midfielder Charles De Ketelaere. He’s a starter for them so maybe if that’s concrete interest it will set off a chain of reactions in terms of signings and allow Brugge to sign Skov Olsen and Bologna to replace Olsen etc.
Hes quality that lad

I agree with Kevin Thomson, we have plenty of centre mids who are technical and nice on the ball etc but we need someone in there with a bit of steel, presence, authority, guts and the ability to drive the team forward and almost intimidate the opposition. That’s what I reckon he means.
He means we need a Kevin Thomson! He’s correct too!

They're not going to send him up for 2 games against Dortmund and 2/3 games against the tims. He's too good for the league we play in and he won't be tested week in week out.

Loan fees Chelsea command for first team players and wages makes it a total non starter as well.
Not for much longer hopefully with the new loan system

Tweet immediately after says it’s certain he’ll be going to Brugge. This whole saga has been a non starter from the beginning.
I wouldn't say it's been a non starter we've had "interest" in him that much is clear whether we actually did bid for him or he doesn't fancy coming is a different matter altogether.

But it's a massive week ahead and business needs to be done I'm thinking Souttar and hopefully a quality RW anything else is a massive bonus especially an attacking midfielder hopefully some more fringe players moved on.

I wouldn't say it's a non starter we have been we've had "interest" in him whether we actually did bid for him or he doesn't fancy coming is a different matter altogether.

Big few days ahead as it stands there anyway I'm thinking Souttar and hopefully a quality RW anything else is a massive bonus especially an attacking midfielder hopefully some more fringe players moved on.
Non starter in that we won’t spend that much on a player.

Definite interest, but not for that amount.

I cannot see us doing any business other than perhaps bringing Souttar in early, and Sands who's already signed obviously. I guess all we can hope for is players like Roofe, Jack and Helander coming back from injury and getting a run of games under their belt, I do feel we are short on the right wing though, unless Gio tries Sakala out there?

What level of financial investment in terms of transfer fees would mean a new player is at a level to walk straight into the team?

Say of the Patterson/Gerrard money, we can spend £4m on a new RW and the same on a new CM. Is the desired quality available at that level of spending?

Non starter in that we won’t spend that much on a player.

Definite interest, but not for that amount.
I think the fee has always been the issue and that's been hinted it's clear we don't value him as high as Bologna if that was always the case and they won't drop it we move on but it's clear the player will be having the same problems at Brugge especially if the deal does eventually go through.

I cannot see us doing any business other than perhaps bringing Souttar in early, and Sands who's already signed obviously. I guess all we can hope for is players like Roofe, Jack and Helander coming back from injury and getting a run of games under their belt, I do feel we are short on the right wing though, unless Gio tries Sakala out there?
I think we’re short middle to front - RW, all across midfield and RB too. I think the counter would be we have players to come back but the strength of the reserves when Morelos, Aribo, Davis, Roofe and Arfield are out / away is highly questionable. Throw in an injury to Hagi and a suspension for Kent and we start to look very stretched.

I think we’re short middle to front - RW, all across midfield and RB too. I think the counter would be we have players to come back but the strength of the reserves when Morelos, Aribo, Davis, Roofe and Arfield are out / away is highly questionable. Throw in an injury to Hagi and a suspension for Kent and we start to look very stretched.
We are extremely unlucky right now with injurys, suspension & Aribo being away. However even with everyone fit we need a RW, and have done for some time now.

If we can't get in a main target right now, then we have to at least get loan signings in.

What level of financial investment in terms of transfer fees would mean a new player is at a level to walk straight into the team?

Say of the Patterson/Gerrard money, we can spend £4m on a new RW and the same on a new CM. Is the desired quality available at that level of spending?
Ross Wilson supposedly keeps lists of targets for each position so he'll have players within a budget that he likes I think the problem would be the wages currently need some off the books before looking to bring players in

We are extremely unlucky right now with injurys, suspension & Aribo being away. However even with everyone fit we need a RW, and have done for some time now.

If we can't get in a main target right now, then we have to at least get loan signings in.
I think if “all” that we were to do was bring in a good quality RW, it would give the club and the support a huge boost as well as improve the team. Thats almost as important at this point - a fillip to get us going for a very tough run in.

I think if a quality RW winger doesn't come in then questions need to be asked of Ross Wilson imo.

If Simpson can be moved on then Souttar in is a wise move especially with Balogun just back and Helander still nowhere to be seen.

We have plenty of holding midfielders Lundstram would be the obvious choice to move on but an attacking midfielder would be required in his place.

I think we can manage without RB cover till the summer we have enough within the squad to cope as Balogun and possibly Jack if he returns can fit into there maybe even Souttar as he is comfortable on the ball and is mobile obviously that's if he moves to us in this window.

Is 3 additions possible pending we move 3 out ? Either way this squad is coming up to a massive rebuild sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Can't see much more business from us if I'm honest, looks like the club just want to get Souttar in.

Very disappointed in this window so far, the team needs refreshing and an improvement at right wing.

Can't see much more business from us if I'm honest, looks like the club just want to get Souttar in.

Very disappointed in this window so far, the team needs refreshing and an improvement at right wing.

What do you base this on ?

Have you got info or just a hunch

Still not got rid of the (deadwood) players that are not good enough yet still here, I’m not convinced Ross Wilson is the man for the job maybe I will be proved wrong.

Still not got rid of the (deadwood) players that are not good enough yet still here, I’m not convinced Ross Wilson is the man for the job maybe I will be proved wrong.
I don’t get this criticism. We could easily get rid of the deadwood. We could pay them off and get rid. It would hardly represent Ross Wilson ’being the right man for the job’ though, would it?

To move them on someone has to want them. They also have to meet our valuation. If we are over-pricing them then it’s fair to level some criticism. However, we haven’t even had a rumour to suggest anyone wants any of our deadwood, so I’m not thinking it’s that. Maybe they are just that shit nobody wants them! January isn’t a window where too much happens in all honesty, and that will be exacerbated by clubs funding issues from CoVid.

You can only sell if you have a buyer. We can’t even get someone who wants them on loan FFS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back