Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's only 2 names I've heard us linked with this window that get me excited..

Doekhi - I'd say thats realistic and I'd love it to happen.

Sam Johnstone - Unrealistic but would be an unbelievable signing if we could pull it off.. and we'd be sorted for the next 4/5 years in terms of goalkeeper.

I'm also happy with Souttar.

Yeah exactly. People saying we need a really fast winger seem to have forgot the fast players like Jones, O'halloran and even Wright to an extent we have had that didn’t really do anything. What we need is a good winger who can beat a man, have a dig and put in a good cross. Yeah I would also love him to be rapid but in the market we are looking at that type of player isn’t gonna be available to us.
Yeah I think we have to get the quality you describe even if the pace is reduced but imo Skov Olsen meets the criteria particularly because he is so tall and I believe capable of playing centrally therefore we could play the quality and the pace via another RW eg Wright or Sakala

I'm surprised too. I wonder if we are gambling on getting by as we are to the summer (As champions) knowing there is a potential re-build to come with key players out of contract this summer and next. January window is always seen as a difficult window to get good players in. Still hopeful of a couple in personally
I think your right tbh I’d like a loan for right wing (Dutch league or not) the rest of the squads good enough to win the league and save the doe for the summer with key players leaving or contracts ending

My main concern with that article is the injury to his Achilles.

Neilson did say it was just a slight knock on it and he'll be fit for the Celtic game and could've played yesterday, if they really needed him.

He took a kick on the achilles, it wasn't a recurrence injury.

Still wouldn't be paying anything like £500k for a pre contract signing though and I really hope we don't.

According to Robbie Nielson it was an ankle knock, not his achilles.

If we actually bid £300k and Hearts effectively laughed at it as reported then they can chase themselves, how much are they realistically looking for?!
Neilson actually said both ankle and achilles mate:

”John has a problem with his ankle after the game the other night [versus St Johnstone],” he said.

“I know everyone thinks they know what’s happening but it was on his Achilles so we felt there was no point bringing him down here and we’ll just keep him up there and available for [the match versus |Celtic on] Wednesday unless things change."

He’s got more chance of England call ups playing every week for Rangers than sitting on the Tottenham or West Ham bench.

Did Forster not get call ups when with Celtic?
Think he made his England debut after he left Celtic, may have been called up whilst here though but never played.

For what it’s worth, I agree with the other poster.

Getting Johnstone would be a coup.

I don’t understand why we are bidding for JS. We have Balogun back fit…Helander in training & the emergence of Bassey as a very decent CH I don’t see why we are looking to fast track this move. Unless someone is moving on that’s the only way I’d be bidding anything.

I agree with Kevin Thomson…if we need anything it’s a Centre Midfielder & good one at that. Fashion would be playing every game for me. I hope Hagi isn’t too badly hurt…he’s in & out in games & I’d like him to be stronger but he brings cutting edge almost every game to us…he makes things happen.

We currently don't have any full back cover. Souttar free Bassey up for that

We need a RW and an attacking CM.... we have needed them for 2 or 3 windows. We don't need squad players, we don't need prospects, we don't need someone who "can do a job". We need 2 quality players that cost actual money or we might be waving goodbye to the guts of £40m

Disappointed Slov Olsen doesn't appear to have signed for Brugge as seemed certsin this time last week. Have seen nothing of him that makes me think he is the player we need but, as is always the case, got to trust those at the club if they believe he is the RW we need.

I'm not normally one for panicking but it does worry me that we are going into the last week of the window and still don't have winger signed.
The time to judge will be the end of the window, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t quite chuffed so far.

Seemingly chasing a Hearts player who we don’t even need right now when other areas need strengthened makes no sense.

We need a midfielder and winger of quality.

Not even being linked with anyone is quite telling, normally regardless how close a club holds its cards to their chest an agent or whatever lets the cat out the bag, mon tae f*ck rangers.

Not even being linked with anyone is quite telling, normally regardless how close a club holds its cards to their chest an agent or whatever lets the cat out the bag, mon tae f*ck rangers.
Tbf most of our business now is keep in house and very little gets out unless a deal is very close.

We should be looking to get Souttar in ASAP, not just for the options he frees up but because the six month bedding in period will be extremely beneficial for him long term.

FWIW, Celtic losing McGregor for an extended amount of time feels as big as any signing so far as this title race is concerned. I’m convinced they will now fall away in the coming weeks without him and am a whole lot more relaxed about what we do.

We should be looking to get Souttar in ASAP, not just for the options he frees up but because the six month bedding in period will be extremely beneficial for him long term.

FWIW, Celtic losing McGregor for an extended amount of time feels as big as any signing so far as this title race is concerned. I’m convinced they will now fall away in the coming weeks without him and am a whole lot more relaxed about what we do.
Ach they have 'the new Iniesta'. We're doomed, doomed I tells ye!:rolleyes:

We need a RW and an attacking CM.... we have needed them for 2 or 3 windows. We don't need squad players, we don't need prospects, we don't need someone who "can do a job". We need 2 quality players that cost actual money or we might be waving goodbye to the guts of £40m
What type of player do you fancy for the MF role Mosschops , I was thinking how even in the mess we were in at Aberdeen a player who was able to drive out of those deep lines we had and the us 40 yards or more up the pitch could have been pretty useful

We currently don't have any full back cover. Souttar free Bassey up for that
That should change when Helander returns though but I also think maybe given our FBs are more static and defensive JS could be the standin RB should Tavernier need a break or be suspended eg

The time to judge will be the end of the window, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t quite chuffed so far.

Seemingly chasing a Hearts player who we don’t even need right now when other areas need strengthened makes no sense.

With the information we have at this point this seems a valid post Eddie . I just hope there are other going’s on we are not yet privy to that are advancing the other two roles .

Summer transfer window was poor, and this one isn't looking much better so far. I know January is a tough window but I really do think we should be looking for a right winger.

How Hearts manager is behaving is why we find it hard to buy any players from the SPFL with every move blasted all over the media portraying us as cheapskates and how us trying to bully the wee teams. Let Souttar stay there until summer and hell mend Hearts.
Totally agree with this, I wouldn’t give them a penny.

With the information we have at this point this seems a valid post Eddie . I just hope there are other going’s on we are not yet privy to that are advancing the other two roles .
I'm living in hope rather than expectation now despite what fan media have been fed that we are waiting to see if we can get deals done for a couple of higher profile players on deadline day if players become available at that point

I'm not normally one for panicking but it does worry me that we are going into the last week of the window and still don't have winger signed.
Transfers don't just fall in to place immediately.

Take Skov Olsen. (I'm not saying he is or isn't coming*). Bologna seem keen on Ramsay as a signing. They may not want to let Skov Olsen go until they have a replacement in the door.

Doesn't mean to say that the deal to bring him to Rangers hasn't been worked on and is pretty much agreed.

*Used an example but the situation will be replicated across all clubs.

Take Skov Olsen. (I'm not saying he is or isn't coming*). Bologna seem keen on Ramsay as a signing. They may not want to let Skov Olsen go until they have a replacement in the door.

Doesn't mean to say that the deal to bring him to Rangers hasn't been worked on and is pretty much agreed.

Don’t think Bologna are that moneyed so it could be potential buyers feel they need to sell first so are leaving them with the pressure on selling first

Of course, I didn't expect whoever to be in the door on the first day of the window and I equally don't think leaving it so late means they are rushed signings, but the cynic in me feels it's less likely we sign a winger with each passing day.

Of course, I didn't expect whoever to be in the door on the first day of the window and I equally don't think leaving it so late means they are rushed signings, but the cynic in me feels it's less likely we sign a winger with each passing day.
You may be correct but I don't think it would be through lack of effort.

That’s not being cynical that’s being logical but equally it doesn’t make it realistic

Summer transfer window was poor, and this one isn't looking much better so far. I know January is a tough window but I really do think we should be looking for a right winger.
You can go back to last January for that matter we haven't signed anyone that has properly strengthened our starting eleven in over 2 years which I think is quite astonishing.

The majority of our squad were effectively all signed early on by the previous management team there has been so many squad fillers signed and short cuts taken in our recruitment hopefully that can change soon because this squad isn't far off a big rebuild and we will need money to do that.

I'm not particularly keen on Ross Wilson talks a good game though but the next week or so and in the summer will be a massive test for him and we will see what he is truly made of for someone of his so called calibre he is underachieving in his role the Patterson deal would have taken some heat off him but he needs to start delivering better players for us.

Last edited:
You can go back to last January for that matter we haven't signed anyone that has properly strengthened our starting eleven in over 2 years which I think is quite astonishing.

The majority of our squad were effectively all signed early on by the previous management team there has been so many squad fillers signed and short cuts taken in our recruitment hopefully that can change soon because this squad isn't far off a big rebuild and we will money to do that.

I'm not particularly keen on Ross Wilson talks a good game though but the next week or so and in the summer will be a massive test for him and we will see what he is truly made of for someone of his so called calibre he is underachieving in his role the Patterson deal would have taken some heat off him but he needs to start delivering better players for us.

What about bringing Gio in? A pretty big plus for Wilson no?

I’m sure Ross Wilson is capable of working on more than one deal at a time.

He’s got more chance of England call ups playing every week for Rangers than sitting on the Tottenham or West Ham bench.

Did Forster not get call ups when with Celtic?
You sure? I don't think since the 2000s that any Old Firm player has played for England.

What about bringing Gio in? A pretty big plus for Wilson no?
I think it was clear early on he was the favorite plus the fans overwhelmingly wanted him and fair play Wilson got the deal over the line quickly but in terms of his recruitment I haven't been that impressed with what's he been able to give us squad fillers over quality seems to be our tactic at the moment.

It's quite an incredible thing to go nearly 3/4 windows without improving our starting eleven.

I think it was clear early on he was the favorite plus the fans overwhelmingly wanted him and fair play Wilson got the deal over the line quickly but in terms of his recruitment I haven't been that impressed with what's he been able to give us squad fillers over quality seems to be our tactic at the moment.

It's quite an incredible thing to go nearly 3/4 windows without improving our starting eleven.
We’ve got 5 or so players worth £10M+ and probably another 5 or so worth £5M+, automatically improving the first 11 isn’t an easy task when we are running at a loss.

Since 2020 we've brought in those listed below - and a few others. Some hits, some misses - as with every club's transfers. According to Transfermarkt that's at a net cost of circa £20m.

Bacuna
Sakala
Lundstram
Sands
Roofe
Hagi
Itten
Wright
Defoe
Balogun
McLaughlin
Bassey
Simpson

Last edited:
Forster got his first cap while at them.
Did he?

I thought it was after he had joined Southampton, I remember him being called up though and Hooper as well I think.

I still don’t think anyone playing in Scotland gets an England call up, then again signing someone who’s regularly in squads may be different.

Playing devil’s advocate for a second, I don’t think the centre of our defence has looked as solid as it could be, even since Gio has come in. We still seem vulnerable to long balls and from set pieces where we seem to lack a bit of a no-nonsense attitude to just get the ball clear, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get Souttar in and see how he does.

Disappointed Slov Olsen doesn't appear to have signed for Brugge as seemed certsin this time last week. Have seen nothing of him that makes me think he is the player we need but, as is always the case, got to trust those at the club if they believe he is the RW we need.
Watch his highlights from his games with Denmark, then watch clips with him playing with Bologna. It's like two different players.

I'd be absolutely delighted with the signing of the 'Denmark version' of Skov Olsen.

Playing devil’s advocate for a second, I don’t think the centre of our defence has looked as solid as it could be, even since Gio has come in. We still seem vulnerable to long balls and from set pieces where we seem to lack a bit of a no-nonsense attitude to just get the ball clear, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get Souttar in and see how he does.

Yes, we have a left back playing there who has an improving but still relatively poor positional sense in the centre back position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back