Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he?

I thought it was after he had joined Southampton, I remember him being called up though and Hooper as well I think.

I still don’t think anyone playing in Scotland gets an England call up, then again signing someone who’s regularly in squads may be different.
Made his debut v Chile 2013, left them summer 2014. Was also part of Englands 2014 World Cup squad while still at them.

I do agree though that no England player would consistently get caps while playing up here.

Playing devil’s advocate for a second, I don’t think the centre of our defence has looked as solid as it could be, even since Gio has come in. We still seem vulnerable to long balls and from set pieces where we seem to lack a bit of a no-nonsense attitude to just get the ball clear, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get Souttar in and see how he does.
What? Under Gio we've had 11 matches and 8 clean sheets..

Since 2020 we've brought in those listed below - and a few others. Some hits, some misses - as with every club's transfers. According to Transfermarkt that's at a net cost of circa £20m.

Bacuna
Sakala
Lundstram
Sands
Roofe
Hagi
Itten
Wright
Defoe
Balogun
McLaughlin
Bassey
Simpson
None of them have been guaranteed starters for a variety of reasons mostly all squad fillers and many of the above have flattered to deceive notably Bacuna, Lundstram, Itten, Wright, Simpson.

McLaughlin and Bassey have been good cover the latter has done well in defence of late.

Roofe, Balogun, Hagi are always in and out the team either through injury or form although have contributed to our recent success.

We got a decent turn out of Defoe more than we could have hoped.

Jury still out on Sakala and Sands has only just arrived.

Still think our recruitment need to be better a lot of money and wages went into the above and many haven't contributed enough.

only a few of them are decent
The notion on here - and I'm not saying you espouse it - seems to be that if you spend money on a big fee it equals a guaranteed success, with a quality player who never lets you down. Hence the cry 'we need to sign starters'. (Incidentally we did that with Kent and he's currently getting pelters from many on here because his 'numbers' are poor:rolleyes:).

You only need to look to the EPL to see that a big fee can still land you with a donkey. In fact, a quick look at the club across the city will tell you that throwing cash at it then thinking all will be well is a false premise. They've a list of expensive duds that cost a fortune.

Our success rate on transfers is reasonable. Could be better, could be a lot worse. Spending smart is better than spending big. For example, I don't think anyone would argue that Kamara has proven a better deal than Itten. Lundstram was a relative bargain in that there was no fee. However, in terms of overall cost he will prove a millstone around our necks and, of course, he's not performing as we'd want.

How Hearts manager is behaving is why we find it hard to buy any players from the SPFL with every move blasted all over the media portraying us as cheapskates and how us trying to bully the wee teams. Let Souttar stay there until summer and hell mend Hearts.
I hear what you're saying but if Goldson signed for someone else we would be saying similar things, perhaps not in the whiny tone they have.

If its really £300k v £500k & we want him now, then let's get it done..shouldn't be hard tocmeet in the middle or throw I'm a clause to make up the difference

No but Hagi, Roofe, Itten and Morelos are.
Don’t think that’s a fair comment on Roofe and Morelos. They are not fast over a 20 yard distance but they are fast in different ways.

Roofe’s link up play and movement around the box is very fast. He’s not expected to out run any opposition players anyway, that’s not his game. His game is movement and finding space and he excels at that. Quick thinking. His two goals against the scum in the 4-1 typify his game.

As for Morelos he has great explosive pace. There aren’t many players in the league better than him at putting the ball around a player and then exploding onto the other end of it.

Having pacy forwards isn’t the be all and end all. Wright has blistering pace yet almost always it ends in him running into no man’s land when he should have passed it earlier. Tav isn’t blessed with pace yet is the best fullback in our league.

Don’t think that’s a fair comment on Roofe and Morelos. They are not fast over a 20 yard distance but they are fast in different ways.

Roofe’s link up play and movement around the box is very fast. He’s not expected to out run any opposition players anyway, that’s not his game. His game is movement and finding space and he excels at that. Quick thinking. His two goals against the scum in the 4-1 typify his game.

As for Morelos he has great explosive pace. There aren’t many players in the league better than him at putting the ball around a player and then exploding onto the other end of it.

Having pacy forwards isn’t the be all and end all. Wright has blistering pace yet almost always it ends in him running into no man’s land when he should have passed it earlier. Tav isn’t blessed with pace yet is the best fullback in our league.
Neither Roofe or Morelos are slow not as fast as a few of the squad but certainly not slow.

The notion on here - and I'm not saying you espouse it - seems to be that if you spend money on a big fee it equals a guaranteed success, with a quality player who never lets you down. Hence the cry 'we need to sign starters'. (Incidentally we did that with Kent and he's currently getting pelters from many on here because his 'numbers' are poor:rolleyes:).

You only need to look to the EPL to see that a big fee can still land you with a donkey. In fact, a quick look at the club across the city will tell you that throwing cash at it then thinking all will be well is a false premise. They've a list of expensive duds that cost a fortune.

Our success rate on transfers is reasonable. Could be better, could be a lot worse. Spending smart is better than spending big. For example, I don't think anyone would argue that Kamara has proven a better deal than Itten. Lundstram was a relative bargain in that there was no fee. However, in terms of overall cost he will prove a millstone around our necks and, of course, he's not performing as we'd want.
i agree to a extent mate but we cannot afford to sign players as 'projects' that take 2 years to get into the starting 11

itten has been a bad signing as is lundstrum both should be moved on

we have been crying out for a attacking midfield playmaker for years and its yet to come as well as a right winger

i agree with the epl is full of donkeys and well overpriced

i agree to a extent mate but we cannot afford to sign players as 'projects' that take 2 years to get into the starting 11

itten has been a bad signing as is lundstrum both should be moved on

we have been crying out for a attacking midfield playmaker for years and its yet to come as well as a right winger

i agree with the epl is full of donkeys and well overpriced
What is it folk want though? Itten came on the back of an excellent season in Switzerland. Lundstram, many thought, was the btb midfielder we needed. Both have failed to deliver but its not like we can accuse the Club of not trying to fill those gaps.

We could spend £5m on the fabled icon - on here - that is Skov Olssen and he could bomb as spectacularly as Lundstram. In truth, he probably falls into the same bracket as Hagi. We go him on loan, he did very well, we were all delighted to sign him and he was pivotal to last season. Now? Some cannot wait to get him out the door. Roofe currently getting slaughtered on another thread. Some simply have unrealistic expectations.

I guess I come back to my initial point - some on here simply want to see us splash a big fee on somebody. Anybody. Doesn't matter who they are or where they play or how good they are or might be. Spend money is the answer to every problem. And that's not exclusive to football. Its a bit of a hobby-horse of mine.:)

Last edited:
Playing devil’s advocate for a second, I don’t think the centre of our defence has looked as solid as it could be, even since Gio has come in. We still seem vulnerable to long balls and from set pieces where we seem to lack a bit of a no-nonsense attitude to just get the ball clear, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get Souttar in and see how he does.
Right now Souttar is a level or two below Goldson and Helander when he's fit. Balangun is better than Souttar is right now

What is it folk want though? Itten came on the back of an excellent season in Switzerland. Lundstram, many thought, was the btb midfielder we needed. Both have failed to deliver but its not like we can accuse the Club of not trying to fill those gaps.

We could spend £5m of the fabled icon - on here - that is Skov Olssen and he could bomb as spectacularly as Lundstram. In truth, he probably falls into the same bracket as Hagi. We go him on loan, he did very well, we were all delighted to sign him and he was pivotal to last season. Now? Some cannot wait to get him out the door. Roofe currently getting slaughtered on another thread. Some simply have unrealistic expectations.

I guess I come back to my initial point - some on here simply want to see us splash a big fee on somebody. Anybody. Doesn't matter who they are or where they play or how goods they are or might be. Spend money is the answer to every problem. And that's not exclusive to football. Its a bit of a hobby-horse of mine.:)
i dont think lundstram was ever a box to box player, he had one decent season for sheffield united
in most cases you get what you pay for, not always but most of the time

we spent 7m on kent because he had quality, same as olsen ( especially for denmark)

roofe is getting slaughtered because he is always injured, thats the reason we got him for the price he did i suppose

No but Hagi, Roofe, Itten and Morelos are.

Nobody is saying we should buy another Wright. He’s not ever going to be good enough and I fully agree that pace isn’t everything. It’s also fine having slower players that offer something else.

It is noticeable however when Kent is missing that we are slow in forward areas and it does cost us.

I remember seeing us playing with Hagi, Roofe and Morelos as a front three and the defenders they were up against were so comfortable as not a single one has the pace to run in behind.

i dont think lundstram was ever a box to box player, he had one decent season for sheffield united
in most cases you get what you pay for, not always but most of the time

we spent 7m on kent because he had quality, same as olsen ( especially for denmark)

roofe is getting slaughtered because he is always injured, thats the reason we got him for the price he did i suppose
I look at who we've signed over the period in question and what the outlay was and compare it to the only other club that matters in domestic terms and, by f*ck, we have done better. Certainly in OF terms, and over the period in question, you do NOT get what you pay for if your club plays in green and grey.:)

Last edited:
I guess I come back to my initial point - some on here simply want to see us splash a big fee on somebody. Anybody. Doesn't matter who they are or where they play or how good they are or might be. Spend money is the answer to every problem. And that's not exclusive to football. Its a bit of a hobby-horse of mine.:)
Just fucking hurry up and sign some fucking cunt for fuck sake.
Ha ha I rest my case LOL.

I'm kidding mate.:)

I look at who we've signed over the period in question and what the outlay was and compare it to the only other club that matters in domestic terms and, by f*ck, we have we done better. Certainly in OF terms, and over the period in question, you do NOT get what you pay for if your club plays in green and grey.:)
green and grey is'nt my club ffs but i think alot of fans are scared to spend money on decent players for some reason

we are the champions and should be attacking teams but we dont have the players to do that

defending away to hibs hearts and that mhob could be costly and anyone that thinks not winning the league this season is not important is off there rocker

Did he?

I thought it was after he had joined Southampton, I remember him being called up though and Hooper as well I think.

I still don’t think anyone playing in Scotland gets an England call up, then again signing someone who’s regularly in squads may be different.
Hooper never near an England squad…..

Absolutely nothing comes out of Ibrox now. Long gone are days of blow by blow transfer dealing accounts from the ITKs.

Has anyone got even a wee rumour? Haha

green and grey is'nt my club ffs but i think alot of fans are scared to spend money on decent players for some reason

we are the champions and should be attacking teams but we dont have the players to do that

defending away to hibs hearts and that mhob could be costly and anyone that thinks not winning the league this season is not important is off there rocker
44 goals in the League mate, same as the only other team to challenge us. If we set up defensively in a match that's down to the Manager's tactics. Certainly at the Edinburgh clubs. At Sheepsville I think a lot was down to who was available to play.

I don't think anybody has a 'fear' of the Club spending money. Many, absolutely correctly, have a fear of us spending more than we can afford. Only those in the Boardroom will know where we stand with that.

Every League title is important. I've been watching them unfold since the early 60s. This, probably for the first time in a decade, is a 'proper' title race. There will be ups and downs, good performances and bad performances. We will prevail - regardless of any further signings.

We lined up against Brondby with a front line and middle line of:

Roofe Morelos Hagi
Davis Lundstram Aribo

Yet still comfortably won 2-0 creating loads of chances. Those six are hardly blessed with blistering pace.

I’m not adverse to signing a winger with pace so long as his end product is good. For me, goals, crossing and passing are more important. We spend most of the games in our league with the bulk of the possession so it tends to be guile and vision that we need in order to win those games.

When we set up to counter attack against better opposition, Kent and Sakala are ideal, so yeah it would be nice to have another option there because Wright doesn’t cut it for me.
Nobody is saying we should buy another Wright. He’s not ever going to be good enough and I fully agree that pace isn’t everything. It’s also fine having slower players that offer something else.

It is noticeable however when Kent is missing that we are slow in forward areas and it does cost us.

I remember seeing us playing with Hagi, Roofe and Morelos as a front three and the defenders they were up against were so comfortable as not a single one has the pace to run in behind.

Absolutely nothing comes out of Ibrox now. Long gone are days of blow by blow transfer dealing accounts from the ITKs.

Not necessarily true as Lundstram and Sakala were all rumoured a good 6+ months before they happened.

44 goals in the League mate, same as the only other team to challenge us. If we set up defensively in a match that's down to the Manager's tactics. Certainly at the Edinburgh clubs. At Sheepsville I think a lot was down to who was available to play.

I don't think anybody has a 'fear' of the Club spending money. Many, absolutely correctly, have a fear of us spending more than we can afford. Only those in the Boardroom will know where we stand with that.

Every League title is important. I've been watching them unfold since the early 60s. This, probably for the first time in a decade, is a 'proper' title race. There will be ups and downs, good performances and bad performances. We will prevail - regardless of any further signings.
sure hope so mate,

to think were in a title race against a fat aussie twat thats never managed in europe should set alarm bells ringing though

most dhims were writing this season off

As others have said, our recruitment needs to be better. In the last 4 or 5 windows we have signed too many squad players who haven’t contributed or improved the quality of the starting 11
Nail on the head, our best first 11 has been arguably the same for about 3 years. Souttar is a shrewd signing I think he'll do well but the first 11 needs a Kent style signing.

I think it was clear early on he was the favorite plus the fans overwhelmingly wanted him and fair play Wilson got the deal over the line quickly but in terms of his recruitment I haven't been that impressed with what's he been able to give us squad fillers over quality seems to be our tactic at the moment.

It's quite an incredible thing to go nearly 3/4 windows without improving our starting eleven.

You're not the first person I've heard talk about Wilson not doing a good job and I think it's really unfair. I think people forget that buying and selling players isn't his only job.

As Sporting Director he oversees all footballing aspects of the club and the change since he came in has, in my opinion, been huge. You only need to read the Athletic article from a few weeks ago to see the really impressive change in our scouting. Our analysis department as well has undergone huge change. The structure of the teams below the first team(and the woman's team) have improved and he's brought in good people/got rid of shite to further strengthen foundations there. Patterson might be the first but he won't be the last player we bring through and make a massive profit on, I'd say. That's all long term things that will keep us challenging regardless of any manager changes.

And in the short term we won the league, undefeated. Players like Roofe, Balogun and Hagi made massive contributions to that. Are they the long term solution? Probably not. But are they good signings? Of course they are. They've paid for themselves many times over. Sakala shouldn't be written off yet (also he came on a free) and Lundstram (also free) was clearly a player Gerrard pushed for. Bacuna seems like a panic buy, I'll admit, but is he burning a hole through our wage/transfer budget? Nope.

The biggest thing he has had to do recently was bring in the right coach to replace Gerrard. He did this swiftly whilst also bringing in an impressive backroom staff.

There's only 2 names I've heard us linked with this window that get me excited..

Doekhi - I'd say thats realistic and I'd love it to happen.

Sam Johnstone - Unrealistic but would be an unbelievable signing if we could pull it off.. and we'd be sorted for the next 4/5 years in terms of goalkeeper.

I'm also happy with Souttar.
If Doehki was happening, wouldn't we have secured his services for next season by now?

Bit of a myth this.

Full blown sagas that are reported day-by-day, yeah not anymore as the club do try to keep a clamp on things but it does get out the majority of the time.

Nail on the head, our best first 11 has been arguably the same for about 3 years. Souttar is a shrewd signing I think he'll do well but the first 11 needs a Kent style signing.
I can see why the majority of the first eleven has been the same for a few seasons, an improvement on the likes of Tav, Kent, Morelos, Goldson, Aribo etc would cost an absolute fortunes and we simply haven't had the money to spend anywhere close to what it would require. The same can't be said for the RW or one of the midfield positions though and we now have the cash to spend so there aren't really any excuses this window.

It may seem that way to you but I’m not sure what evidence it would take to show you the opposite is in fact the case mate .

I think a big issue we have is wages.

I think we have probably maxed out, wages wise.

We do have money with Gerrard, Patterson, and Dortmund (minimum 2 million in ticket sales alone), but do we have the wages to add a 5 million plus player to the squad?

To clarify on the few replies to my comment about nothing coming out of Ibrox. I mean more from our side. Club dont brief and GVB gives nothing away. Anything that comes out is from other side

If Doehki was happening, wouldn't we have secured his services for next season by now?

He may have signed a pre contract, not necessarily with us, and his destination has not been publicised for certain reasons. Think either way he’ll stay with Vitesse for the remainder of the season.

I can see why the majority of the first eleven has been the same for a few seasons, an improvement on the likes of Tav, Kent, Morelos, Goldson, Aribo etc would cost an absolute fortunes and we simply haven't had the money to spend anywhere close to what it would require. The same can't be said for the RW or one of the midfield positions though and we now have the cash to spend so there aren't really any excuses this window.
as legends in the game walter smith and alex ferguson have said in the past you should be injecting quality into the team every year other wise the team gets stagnant even if its one player

Most of the signings I agree are sagas - Lundstram, Roofe, Sakala, Souttar, Zungu, etc. we hear their names as unconfirmed rumours months before they arrive.

However - and this gives me hope - Helander, Hagi and Itten all arrived without preamble. Boom, announced and cue frantic googling of their records and so on. All were fairly substantial signings from the continent and not bosman pursuits.

as legends in the game walter smith and alex ferguson have said in the past you should be injecting quality into the team every year other wise the team gets stagnant even if its one player
Stagnance is the reason we are in a title race against a Australian manager & his brand new squad rebuild.

Some very poor squad management has taken place.

We could spend £5m on the fabled icon - on here - that is Skov Olssen and he could bomb as spectacularly as Lundstram. In truth, he probably falls into the same bracket as Hagi. We go him on loan, he did very well, we were all delighted to sign him and he was pivotal to last season. Now? Some cannot wait to get him out the door. Roofe currently getting slaughtered on another thread. Some simply have unrealistic expectations.

It’s impatience , poor judgement and fear mixed together with an instinct to complain and blame others for imperfection
Rangers have done extremely well since this board came in they have revolutionised this club and they get my support as they do so

I feel we have missed the perfect time to bring additions in now we have a busy schedule whereas if we had got them earlier like Sands we had time with them on the training pitch and a cup game to get them started.

I feel the later you leave it in the window it’s harder for the new player to make an impact.

Souttar I’d be leaving until the summer now too but I feel we need a midfielder and two attackers to cement this title.

With the money we've spent on players the past 4/5 windows we could have afforded a player or 2 to go right into the first team but we've been quite wasteful in my opinion

I feel we have missed the perfect time to bring additions in now we have a busy schedule whereas if we had got them earlier like Sands we had time with them on the training pitch and a cup game to get them started.

I feel the later you leave it in the window it’s harder for the new player to make an impact.

Souttar I’d be leaving until the summer now too but I feel we need a midfielder and two attackers to cement this title.
I''d probably take a chance on Souttar now at the right price (£300k) in the hope he's a player that might make the difference in the cup games where we always seem to fall flat on our face. A little change might make all the difference.

We currently don't have any full back cover. Souttar free Bassey up for that
Yeah I take your point but we could also just put Balogun into CH & move Bassey to left back. Add to the fact Helander is on the way back I just don’t see the the sense in spending money on a player we will have in 14 weeks.

Also…Leaving JS @ Hertz gives them a better chance of taken points of them.

I''d probably take a chance on Souttar now at the right price (£300k) in the hope he's a player that might make the difference in the cup games where we always seem to fall flat on our face. A little change might make all the difference.

They have knocked back 300k apparently mate that’s why I’d leave it until the summer now as I think they will be difficult to deal with just look at the Jamie Walker debacle years ago they made everything public and have done so again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back