Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last few seasons haven’t been great.

As I said, we’ve signed a lot of shite.

Bacuna, Ofoborh, Lundstram, Simpson, Hastie, Jones, Barker. All avoidable signings.

I still find the Ofoborh and Simpson pre-contract signings the most baffling. Whoever sanctioned those signings needs sectioned.

Then you have the likes of Itten, who hasn’t been poor by any stretch, but just isn’t good enough for the £2.5m we spent.

In the last few seasons (we'll go from 2019/2020, so just over 2 full seasons so we can just ignore the first summer Gerrard came) we've also signed Kent, Helander, Roofe, Davis, Aribo, Hagi, Wright, Balogun, Bassey, McLaughlin who have all contributed loads to a team which won the league and has taken us further in Europe than we had any right to expect.

Yeah, some signings didn't work out, but as I asked, what is your barometer here? Can you put a figure on it? Is a 50% transfer success rate good enough? How you do even define success really? If signing a player means one we have already at the club steps up to a higher level to retain his place, is that success?

You're using a strawman argument to criticise the transfer policy at the club, in a throwaway statement. It needs far more qualification than you've provided.

I'll say this - there will never be a time when some players aren't considered "a waste of money" at Rangers, and people will claim they were always going to be so. The issue I have with it is that no one can point to a club in world football where it doesn't work that way as well, so why should we be any different?

In the last few seasons (we'll go from 2019/2020, so just over 2 full seasons so we can just ignore the first summer Gerrard came) we've also signed Kent, Helander, Roofe, Davis, Aribo, Hagi, Wright, Balogun, Bassey, McLaughlin who have all contributed loads to a team which won the league and has taken us further in Europe than we had any right to expect.

Yeah, some signings didn't work out, but as I asked, what is your barometer here? Can you put a figure on it? Is a 50% transfer success rate good enough? How you do even define success really? If signing a player means one we have already at the club steps up to a higher level to retain his place, is that success?

You're using a strawman argument to criticise the transfer policy at the club, in a throwaway statement. It needs far more qualification than you've provided.

I'll say this - there will never be a time when some players aren't considered "a waste of money" at Rangers, and people will claim they were always going to be so. The issue I have with it is that no one can point to a club in world football where it doesn't work that way as well, so why should we be any different?
Way too much sanity for the transfer rumours thread mate.:)

For those who think we don’t need to strengthen the first team. Don’t come back on here greeting in May if we’ve lost the League to the vermin. We need to fund some signings from somewhere to ensure we win this League. Win it this year, we go from strength to strength.

It’s very apparent that we are going to lose a number of players in the summer, defence, midfield & forwards.

Anything done now in terms of signings takes a bit of risk & stress from that, and also enables new players time to settle in.

You’d have to think the club know that better than us ?

On that basis, I’m still hopeful.

For those who think we don’t need to strengthen the first team. Don’t come back on here greeting in May if we’ve lost the League to the vermin. We need to fund some signings from somewhere to ensure we win this League. Win it this year, we go from strength to strength.
Don't think anyone thinks that to be honest but if we don't get anyone in the squad is more than strong enough to get the job done this season.

I get what you're saying but we may simply just not have the funds to buy a player that'll improve our first team and that's the reality.

We haven't signed a first 11 player since 2019.

We've signed some squad depth, but no one in 2 and a half years that starts when everyone is fit. This is despite the fact our reputation has increased, we've become more competitive and succeeded in Europe. Our transfers for the last 2 years have been poor, there's no other way of looking at it.

Bacuna
Lundstram
Sakala
Ofoborh
Sands

Roofe
Itten
Wright
Balogun
McLaughlin
Bassey
Simpson
Zungu

Compare that to 2019

Kent
Helander
Davis
Aribo
Hagi
+ some frees

And even 2018

Goldson
Barasic
Katic
Kamara
Arfield
McGregor
Davis (Loan)
Kent (Loan)
+ some frees

Fair enough, I get where you’re coming from.

I think it’s simpler to take it on a player by player basis when judging success rather than an overall outlook. We’ve made some fantastic signings and we’ve made some shite signings. I feel that the likes I’ve mentioned were completely avoidable.

Signing Simpson on a 4 year contract, a 24 year old with 20 league games to his name can be judged. It was an awful signing at the time.

I believe we can do much better than that in the market. That’s all.

Right, thanks for that well balanced input. Can we get back to the bickering now?

If we can't get rumours I would at least like some toys getting thrown out the pram and posters saying they have been lied to and to forget it

We still need to freshen up and try to get signings that will give the place a lift a provide competition for the players, if we don't do that we'll struggle, in football you simply cannot stand still.

As much as I would love a couple of high quality signings this window I really don't want more last minute squad filler Bacuna/Zungu/Barker/Simpson types that we then spend the next 3 years trying to get rid of!

Quality or nothing at all please!
This. Pointless wages on pointless players is a thing we need to move past.

Fair enough, I get where you’re coming from.

I think it’s simpler to take it on a player by player basis when judging success rather than an overall outlook. We’ve made some fantastic signings and we’ve made some shite signings. I feel that the likes I’ve mentioned were completely avoidable.

Signing Simpson on a 4 year contract, a 24 year old with 20 league games to his name can be judged. It was an awful signing at the time.

I believe we can do much better than that in the market. That’s all.

You can't judge an overall policy by looking at individuals, surely?

Just watched a very good segment on sky sports. They were interviewing a football agent who mentioned that if any club in the UK wants to buy a player from abroad it will take around 48hrs to get their work permit due to us being outside the EU. This will then scupper any last min deals we try and get done with players overseas unless we are willing to see what happens with the work permits
Good point

Surely sakala was viewed as competing for a first team spot?

Of course he was. Lundstram wasn't signed to be a bench warmer either. And people conveniently forget Balogun when talking about the supposed "squad fillers" we've only been signing in the last two years.

And nobody can tell me that Roofe hasn't been a good signing. A guaranteed starter every week? Nope. But his contribution last season is being alarmingly downplayed.

We haven't signed a first 11 player since 2019.

We've signed some squad depth, but no one in 2 and a half years that starts when everyone is fit. This is despite the fact our reputation has increased, we've become more competitive and succeeded in Europe. Our transfers for the last 2 years have been poor, there's no other way of looking at it.

Bacuna
Lundstram
Sakala
Ofoborh
Sands

Roofe
Itten
Wright
Balogun
McLaughlin
Bassey
Simpson
Zungu

Compare that to 2019

Kent
Helander
Davis
Aribo
Hagi
+ some frees

And even 2018

Goldson
Barasic
Katic
Kamara
Arfield
McGregor
Davis (Loan)
Kent (Loan)
+ some frees

There's plenty of other ways of looking at it.

For a start, both Roofe and Balogun started plenty of games when everyone was fit.

Secondly, we didn't lose the first team players you mention, so we weren't signing replacements. If Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Hagi, Tavernier, Goldson are all as good as we tend to believe, we don't really have the money to buy better as it stands.

Again, it's not like we're alone in this sort of thing. Plenty of examples of top clubs not changing the core of their starting team for seasons on end, clubs that can spend vast amounts more than us. Theresa strength in continuity as well.

We still need to freshen up and try to get signings that will give the place a lift a provide competition for the players, if we don't do that we'll struggle, in football you simply cannot stand still.

We haven't stood still. It's not only signings that can improve a team, as we've had evidence of. A number of players have improved in the last couple of seasons.

The change in management may bring out even more in some.

Especially with Patterson money
Hope we working on deal s in background
I see sheep signed a winger from Holland

How else are you going to judge it by not going through the cases individually?

By looking at the squad we've built, which is the whole point of a transfer policy.

Football is a bit skewed this way - a team game where the commentators and fans of it seem way too focused on individuals rather than the whole.

For a start, both Roofe and Balogun started plenty of games when everyone was fit.

Secondly, we didn't lose the first team players you mention, so we weren't signing replacements. If Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Hagi, Tavernier, Goldson are all as good as we tend to believe, we don't really have the money to buy better as it stands.

Again, it's not like we're alone in this sort of thing. Plenty of examples of top clubs not changing the core of their starting team for seasons on end, clubs that can spend vast amounts more than us. Theresa strength in continuity as well.

I would argue the mark of successful clubs is generally investing when they are winning to refresh the team and not become stale.

The fact that we haven't has left us in a position where the below is very likely:

Leaves on a Free this summer

Goldson
Balogun
McGregor
McLaughlin
Davis
Arfield

Less than 12 months left on Contract

Ryan Kent
Morelos
Aribo
Helander
Ryan Jack

That's 7/8 first 11 players who will either be out of contract or have less than 12 months on their contract and may need to be sold if they don't re-sign.

This is Celtic 20/21 and we're ignoring it.

What if Gio is happy to go with what he has as the right player isn’t available?

We are all big daft weans when it comes to transfers, but Gio in particular seems very relaxed about it all.
I think we have to back the gaffer either way,although he is on record as saying that he has been given funds,how much that is is anyone's guess. I just hope even for one signing that'll make a difference. But if he chooses to go with what we've got,then I'll go with that,frustrated as I will be,because we do need strengthening in the forward lines. I'd keep the 300,000 grand Hearts are asking for and put it towards an attacking player because our defence is fine the now and is an area that isn't as urgent as other areas of the team.

Looks like this window is going to fizzle out.

The board banking on Gio getting us over the line and getting the CL money we desperately need.

This title race is going down to the wire in my opinion.

Just checking: Does that mean your not allowed to come on here and celebrate if we win it without making a signing?

Much as I'd love a signing (and I would!) , the financial times are uncertain post-pandemic and the squad who won us 55 in record breaking style is completely intact barring our 2nd choice right back and a sparingly used defoe. Hardly screams desperate for investment.

I would argue the mark of successful clubs is generally investing when they are winning to refresh the team and not become stale.

The fact that we haven't has left us in a position where the below is very likely:

Goldson
Balogun
McGregor
McLaughlin
Davis
Arfield

Ryan Kent
Morelos
Aribo
Helander
Ryan Jack

That's 7/8 first 11 players who will either be out of contract or have less than 12 months on their contract and may need to be sold if they don't re-sign.

The contract situation and the general squad management has been poor. Very short term thinking, negligent and leaving us in a very testing situation this summer. Even more so if we don't win the league.

It surely can't be argued otherwise?

Last few seasons haven’t been great.

As I said, we’ve signed a lot of shite.

Bacuna, Ofoborh, Lundstram, Simpson, Hastie, Jones, Barker. All avoidable signings.

I still find the Ofoborh and Simpson pre-contract signings the most baffling. Whoever sanctioned those signings needs sectioned.

Then you have the likes of Itten, who hasn’t been poor by any stretch, but just isn’t good enough for the £2.5m we spent.
We need to learn to stop giving long term contracts to bang average players. It really is so frustrating reading that list when you think of the wages being squandered could've probably have gotten us a couple of half decent signings.

Goldson
Balogun
McGregor
McLaughlin
Davis
Arfield

Ryan Kent
Morelos
Aribo
Helander
Ryan Jack

I believe what we're finding is that it's extremely difficult to break a ceiling in Scottish football.

And the life cycle of teams that need to buy low and sell high, as we'll need to do, is one of backwards steps at times to hopefully get to where you were, possibly a bit better, as often as possible.

We could spend £6m on Svok Olsen right now and not lose anyone else and it would only really be a marginal improvement. We can't afford to get to a next level, or even just to maintain the brilliance of last season.

But we're still in a very strong place as it stands.

Is there any news regarding the current status of Ryan Jack? He was such an important member of the team prior to his injury and if we could get him back it would be a huge boost to our hopes of retaining the league.

The contract situation and the general squad management has been poor. Very short term thinking, negligent and leaving us in a very testing situation this summer. Even more so if we don't win the league.

It surely can't be argued otherwise?

The squad we built won us the league, against a team spending more than we were, and has done brilliantly in Europe. I don't think that's negligent.

A number of very sellable assets still have over a year on their contracts. I don't see that as short term.

So the issue becomes whether or not those players want to stay, and Scottish football will always struggle to keep a hold of cracking players. Even with the CL, playing in the Premiership in England is the bigger draw.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile recalling Middleton and letting Gio assess him.

I know he isn't a world beater but he would possibly benefit from playing in Gio's style with out and out wingers.

He is still relatively young and would be a possible back up for Kent and we could play Sakala on the right.

I know his loan spells at Hibs n St Johnstone haven't been great but he may be someone we could get something out of.

Wasting your time with sense Strider

Assuming we don’t do anything else this window which is looking the most likely outcome as it stands, it makes me seriously concerned over just how bad the financial situation is behind the scenes. The AGM painted a picture of a club on its way to financial sustainability but I can’t see any reason why we’d bring in £16.5m and not spend a penny of it unless it’s plugging gaps which we’re not aware of behind the scenes.

Could be a long few seasons ahead if we seriously can’t afford to invest in any quality, unless that’s solely dependant on winning the league this season which in itself brings its own challenges.

We need to learn to stop giving long term contracts to bang average players. It really is so frustrating reading that list when you think of the wages being squandered could've probably have gotten us a couple of half decent signings.
Signing any new player is always something of a gamble - it inevitably involves risk. There is no way that you can get it right 100% of the time, but at least we are entitled to expect that the 'failed' signings will be far fewer that the 'successful' ones, otherwise the people in charge of this aspect of team's business isn't good at their job. Looking over some of the underwhelming signings we have made recently, I'd say someone at Rangers need to find another line of work.

I have a feeling we will get a RW in before the end.
Just a feeling mind , we will buy a player for £2-3 m from abroad near the end of the window.
There will be clubs out there who will need money in and will have players we would like. The nearer to the end of the window the more likely we will get a better deal.
Just an opinion though.

Goldson
Balogun
McGregor
McLaughlin
Davis
Arfield

Ryan Kent
Morelos
Aribo
Helander
Ryan Jack

We aren't ignoring it

Absolute nonsense to suggest we are.

The squad we built won us the league, against a team spending more than we were, and has done brilliantly in Europe. I don't think that's negligent.

A number of very sellable assets still have over a year on their contracts. I don't see that as short term.

So the issue becomes whether or not those players want to stay, and Scottish football will always struggle to keep a hold of cracking players. Even with the CL, playing in the Premiership in England is the bigger draw.
Ach, not going to get in to a 20 post debate and derail this thread even further.

If you are happy with the situation we will likely find ourselves in very soon then fair enough. But its one of the reasons why we have a DOF, to prevent high squad turnovers every few years. Its not manageable and its not a good look.

I believe what we're finding is that it's extremely difficult to break a ceiling in Scottish football.

And the life cycle of teams that need to buy low and sell high, as we'll need to do, is one of backwards steps at times to hopefully get to where you were, possibly a bit better, as often as possible.

We could spend £6m on Svok Olsen right now and not lose anyone else and it would only really be a marginal improvement. We can't afford to get to a next level, or even just to maintain the brilliance of last season.

But we're still in a very strong place as it stands.

I agree there's a ceiling, but we've got ourself into a situation where we're in a hell of a predicament this summer.

I think it's pretty realistic that we will need to sell Kent, Aribo and Morelos this summer given they have less than 12 months on their contract and are all at an age where they will want to test themself in the EPL.

Add that to a large number of key players leaving on a free/retiring and we're effectively having to rebuild our starting 11 with a base of Helander (29), Barasic (30), Tavernier (31) and Kamara (27). Will this mean that Hagi, Bassey, Lundstram, Souttar and Sakala are all starters now rather than squad depth?

This should have been better planned for. No team at the top should have to rebuild their team after (hopefully) winning the league.

Assuming we don’t do anything else this window which is looking the most likely outcome as it stands, it makes me seriously concerned over just how bad the financial situation is behind the scenes. The AGM painted a picture of a club on its way to financial sustainability but I can’t see any reason why we’d bring in £16.5m and not spend a penny of it unless it’s plugging gaps which we’re not aware of behind the scenes.

Could be a long few seasons ahead if we seriously can’t afford to invest in any quality, unless that’s solely dependant on winning the league this season which in itself brings its own challenges.

Maybe we're being wise with player recruitment, you never know mate. When we're talking of spending upwards of £5m on a player you want to be sure their the right fit. We spent £7m on Kent knowing what we were getting. A lot of clubs wont let a player go mid season without first getting their replacement in first which isnt ideal either.

Hoping we get what we want but only time will tell.

Weird we are bidding £300k for an area we are well covered for when we have more urgent areas of the team that need improvement.
Oooh, I love these.

I'm really intregued (since we have someone who can clearly see into he future), could you conclusively just let us know if the following are going to work out:

- Bacuna
- Sakala
- Sands

Are they "proper ballers" or not? I assume you will have a definitive answer as you'll have seen even more of each of them than Ofobohr, and it would be really useful if we can get a conclusive decision on their futures sorted out now...

Unless of course you are just making stuff up retrospectively. But that can't be right, surely...
Sakala - isn’t a baller just a raw talent that will either have a mediocre spell or will be a superstar who goes to the EPL for a large amount of cash but that’s purely down to him and his development

Sands - appears to be a baller and given how highly regarded he is, I don’t think it’s to ( out there ) to say he is a baller

Bacuna - well he hasn’t done anything of note in his career and arrived with Huddersfield happy to see the back of him and to be honest their assessment has been spot on so far

Maybe we're being wise with player recruitment, you never know mate. When we're talking of spending upwards of £5m on a player you want to be sure their the right fit. We spent £7m on Kent knowing what we were getting. A lot of clubs wont let a player go mid season without first getting their replacement in first which isnt ideal either.

Hoping we get what we want but only time will tell.
I hope it’s as innocent as that but we’re yet to even sign a back up RB for example. Sure there’s plenty we could get who’d be decent for us but nothing there either.

Seems like we’re very much resting on our laurels at the moment and as I say, my concern is what’s driving that.

I hope it’s as innocent as that but we’re yet to even sign a back up RB for example. Sure there’s plenty we could get who’d be decent for us but nothing there either.

Seems like we’re very much resting on our laurels at the moment and as I say, my concern is what’s driving that.

Tbf Tav is very rarely injured and Balogun can fill in if required. Maybe even King could slot in at RB. Seems as if he's got the speed and strength for it.

When we take out loans now, they're repaid and with interest.

Before, they were converted to equity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back