Archive The Winter 2021/22 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling we will get a RW in before the end.
Just a feeling mind , we will buy a player for £2-3 m from abroad near the end of the window.
There will be clubs out there who will need money in and will have players we would like. The nearer to the end of the window the more likely we will get a better deal.
Just an opinion though.

I think this is one of the conversations. We can buy now for 2-3m or have a budget of 6-7m for the same position come the Summer.

What do you do?

Ach, not going to get in to a 20 post debate and derail this thread even further.

If you are happy with the situation we will likely find ourselves in very soon then fair enough. But its one of the reasons why we have a DOF, to prevent high squad turnovers every few years. Its not manageable and its not a good look.
Aye. Right.

I think this is one of the conversations. We can buy now for 2-3m or have a budget of 6-7m for the same position come the Summer.

What do you do?
Buy now. This season is of the utmost importance, even more so than last season. Win the league and pretty much all our financial issues are gone overnight.

When we take out loans now, they're repaid and with interest.

Before, they were converted to equity.
That was my understanding of how we were operating too. Doesn’t explain spending £0 of £16.5m we’ve recently received when the squad badly needs some quality added to it though.

I would argue the mark of successful clubs is generally investing when they are winning to refresh the team and not become stale.

The fact that we haven't has left us in a position where the below is very likely:

Leaves on a Free this summer

Goldson
Balogun
McGregor
McLaughlin
Davis
Arfield

Less than 12 months left on Contract

Ryan Kent
Morelos
Aribo
Helander
Ryan Jack

That's 7/8 first 11 players who will either be out of contract or have less than 12 months on their contract and may need to be sold if they don't re-sign.

This is Celtic 20/21 and we're ignoring it.
Does anyone think nothing is going on behind the scenes to extend some of these contracts .

Ach, not going to get in to a 20 post debate and derail this thread even further.

If you are happy with the situation we will likely find ourselves in very soon then fair enough. But its one of the reasons why we have a DOF, to prevent high squad turnovers every few years. Its not manageable and its not a good look.

It's the reality of Scottish football, I reckon. Players who are genuinely good enough for us can also play in England, and most will want to.

Only so much Ross Wilson can do about that.

Regular player for Inverness CT. Right mid or number 10 role.

A decent player at 20. Not someone who'd be getting into our team, but I doubt he'd give up 1st team Championship football, maybe Premiership next year if ICT come up to play for our B Team.
You could maybe say the same about Charlie McCann - obviously not getting in the Man Utd team, but could have gotten himself a League One/Two team. We’ve sold him in the pathway and he looks a good player.

Getting the B team into the league structure will help us massively with u20 recruitment

Looks like this window is going to fizzle out.

The board banking on Gio getting us over the line and getting the CL money we desperately need.

This title race is going down to the wire in my opinion.

There's a week left

I could understand this post if it were this time next week

Does anyone think nothing is going on behind the scenes to extend some of these contracts .

I know, the club will accept that one or two will leave for nothing, thats just football.

If we get a Patterson level fee every 2 years then we are in a strong position.

The trick is in the recruitment.

FWIW, I think Aribo and Goldson will be away in the summer with Kent and Morelos signing new deals.

I would give Arfield another year as well

We've signed some utter d*gshit, the past couple of Years.

Barker who couldn't even start for Hibs.
Hastie who had a purple patch.
Jones who's stats were woeful, who was also a dafty.
Simpson who's honestly done what?
Grezda who we signed when he was injured.
Plenty of others.

Low risk signing is the biggest load of sh*te going. Wages accumulate, resources on these players not just in training but then trying to offload them, find a loan club etc.

I'd want us to go into next season with Doehki, Souttar, Goldson and Helander for example and you'll get folk wanting squad players instead of like for like swaps. We have to build a proper team. Because it shows in the past 3 out of 4 years we can't handle losing 2 key players in 1 match.

Our turnover this summer is going to be mental. Was hoping we'd have another CB, a RB and RW signed permanently or pre contract to take load off us in Summer.

Assuming we don’t do anything else this window which is looking the most likely outcome as it stands, it makes me seriously concerned over just how bad the financial situation is behind the scenes. The AGM painted a picture of a club on its way to financial sustainability but I can’t see any reason why we’d bring in £16.5m and not spend a penny of it unless it’s plugging gaps which we’re not aware of behind the scenes.

Could be a long few seasons ahead if we seriously can’t afford to invest in any quality, unless that’s solely dependant on winning the league this season which in itself brings its own challenges.
I think it’s fairly likely we don’t spend any of the Patterson money this window with the idea being that if we don’t win the league then it’s our transfer budget for the summer

It's the reality of Scottish football, I reckon. Players who are genuinely good enough for us can also play in England, and most will want to.

Only so much Ross Wilson can do about that.
Its the same for most leagues outside the top 5 though.

You look at the successful clubs outside they leagues. The likes of Ajax, Benfica, Brugge, Basel, Zagreb, Zenit & so on.

Do many of them keep their best players for 3/4+ years? Absolutely not.

Our mistake is now going to be that too many of our best players are going to leave in a short time frame, meaning the chances of us getting their replacements right is not as high as if we were going to replace only 1 or 2.

We've signed some utter d*gshit, the past couple of Years.

Barker who couldn't even start for Hibs.
Hastie who had a purple patch.
Jones who's stats were woeful, who was also a dafty.
Simpson who's honestly done what?
Grezda who we signed when he was injured.
Plenty of others.

Low risk signing is the biggest load of sh*te going. Wages accumulate, resources on these players not just in training but then trying to offload them, find a loan club etc.

I'd want us to go into next season with Doehki, Souttar, Goldson and Helander for example and you'll get folk wanting squad players instead of like for like swaps. We have to build a proper team. Because it shows in the past 3 out of 4 years we can't handle losing 2 key players in 1 match.

Our turnover this summer is going to be mental. Was hoping we'd have another CB, a RB and RW signed permanently or pre contract to take load off us in Summer.
Apart from Simpson none of those were signed in 'the past couple of years'. ;) Summer 2019 I would give you.:)

I'd also ask which of those 4 centre-backs you think would be happy sitting on the bench? And all on huge wages (resources).

Regular player for Inverness CT. Right mid or number 10 role.

A decent player at 20. Not someone who'd be getting into our team, but I doubt he'd give up 1st team Championship football, maybe Premiership next year if ICT come up to play for our B Team.
I’m pretty sure he’s too old for the B team anyway.

Apart from Simpson none of those were signed in 'the past couple of years'. ;) Summer 2019 I would give you.:)
I didn't want to mention Ofoborh. And Bacuna is far too enigmatic to take a punt on.

The things is mate those singing 3/4 years ago are still having a knock on effect even now.

A rule of thumb should be, if we buy from the SPL that player should be head and shoulders the best player at the Club. Kamara and Souttar fit that rule.

Barker/Hastie/Jones/Wright? Not for me.

Assuming we don’t do anything else this window which is looking the most likely outcome as it stands, it makes me seriously concerned over just how bad the financial situation is behind the scenes. The AGM painted a picture of a club on its way to financial sustainability but I can’t see any reason why we’d bring in £16.5m and not spend a penny of it unless it’s plugging gaps which we’re not aware of behind the scenes.

Could be a long few seasons ahead if we seriously can’t afford to invest in any quality, unless that’s solely dependant on winning the league this season which in itself brings its own challenges.
We didnt bring in 16.5 million. We brought in around 12, with add ons potentially taking it up to 16.5.

The finances are there in black and white in the accounts. There is nothing to hide, we have been running at a loss and needed to start making money in player sales. That's not to say we wont spend any money, but I'd expect most of that 12 million to be banked

Is there any news regarding the current status of Ryan Jack? He was such an important member of the team prior to his injury and if we could get him back it would be a huge boost to our hopes of retaining the league.

Probably not in the transfer thread.

We didnt bring in 16.5 million. We brought in around 12, with add ons potentially taking it up to 16.5.

The finances are there in black and white in the accounts. There is nothing to hide, we have been running at a loss and needed to start making money in player sales. That's not to say we wont spend any money, but I'd expect most of that 12 million to be banked
Think he meant the Gerrard compo along with Patterson

We sold a boy for £12-16m who contributed the grand total of 2 games.

We have the core of a title winning squad.

We have lost nobody out of our strongest 11.

January is notoriously poor value for signing players.

We have front loaded investment and this is the first ‘return’.

These are all less hyperbole reasons I would imagine.

We brought in £12m for Patterson and £4.5m for Gerrard and his mates. So yes, we brought in £16.5m as stated.

We sold a boy for £12-16m who contributed the grand total of 2 games.

We have the core of a title winning squad.

We have lost nobody out of our strongest 11.

January is notoriously poor value for signing players.

We have front loaded investment and this is the first ‘return’.

These are all less hyperbole reasons I would imagine.
None of that takes away from the fact we still need a good quality 8, a RW and a back up RB and have done since the first week of the window when Patterson went.

I didn't want to mention Ofoborh. And Bacuna is far too enigmatic to take a punt on.

The things is mate those singing 3/4 years ago are still having a knock on effect even now.

A rule of thumb should be, if we buy from the SPL that player should be head and shoulders the best player at the Club. Kamara and Souttar fit that rule.

Barker/Hastie/Jones/Wright? Not for me.
Folk are looking for a 100% success rate on new signings. It doesn't happen at any club. And no club - in the SPFL at least - can afford to be buying 'established' quality players to sit on the bench as backup. There has to be an element of a gamble with many of the signings.

I'd also suggest that you are looking at Kamara with hindsight. His early days at Rangers were very inconsistent. I recall the fury and the stick he got when he played a dreadful square pass in the middle of our half at home to Aberdeen that saw us lose a goal (maybe the match? Can't remember). Plenty around that time saying he'd never make it - 'too lackadaisical'. Well he did, and some. He was a gamble though, basically in the last chance saloon at Dundee.

I agree there's a ceiling, but we've got ourself into a situation where we're in a hell of a predicament this summer.

I think it's pretty realistic that we will need to sell Kent, Aribo and Morelos this summer given they have less than 12 months on their contract and are all at an age where they will want to test themself in the EPL.

Add that to a large number of key players leaving on a free/retiring and we're effectively having to rebuild our starting 11 with a base of Helander (29), Barasic (30), Tavernier (31) and Kamara (27). Will this mean that Hagi, Bassey, Lundstram, Souttar and Sakala are all starters now rather than squad depth?

This should have been better planned for. No team at the top should have to rebuild their team after (hopefully) winning the league.

How do you know that all those players will leave?

They could quite as easily sign new contracts.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile recalling Middleton and letting Gio assess him.

I know he isn't a world beater but he would possibly benefit from playing in Gio's style with out and out wingers.

He is still relatively young and would be a possible back up for Kent and we could play Sakala on the right.

I know his loan spells at Hibs n St Johnstone haven't been great but he may be someone we could get something out of.

Glen Middleton that struggles to get a start for a team that got put out the cup by Kelty Hearts. Barker is a better player.

How do you know that all those players will leave?

They could quite as easily sign new contracts.
I think we try to extend them before the season finishes and if not they are sold we can’t let people run down like Goldson especially 3 of our better players.

Can’t see Aribo signing a new deal to many rumours of him wanting to go to the EPL.

Kent and Alfie who knows.

Folk are looking for a 100% success rate on new signings. It doesn't happen at any club. And no club - in the SPFL at least - can afford to be buying 'established' quality players to sit on the bench as backup. There has to be an element of a gamble with many of the signings.

I'd also suggest that you are looking at Kamara with hindsight. His early days at Rangers were very inconsistent. I recall the fury and the stick he got when he played a dreadful square pass in the middle of our half at home to Aberdeen that saw us lose a goal (maybe the match? Can't remember). Plenty around that time saying he'd never make it - 'too lackadaisical'. Well he did, and some. He was a gamble though, basically in the last chance saloon at Dundee.
I don't expect 100% for instance I loved us getting Docherty, it didn't work out but atleast there was far more optimism for him than say Barker.

When Kamara signed I stated he'd be a dark horse of a signing. But I'm definitely not in the boat of some fans that think he must be kept. I'd have happily taken 15m this window if it got us 2 new starting 11 players.

The team has to look to the next level bringing in squad filler isn't progressing us, I'd have happily not signed Bacuna, Wright, Simpson, Ofoborh and put all that into 1 starting 11 signing instead.

The money was never all going to go back into the playing squad. Some of it will be banked and then some will be put towards the Edmiston House project and any stadium works that may need done. Aren't some shareholder loans due to be paid back as well?

The money was never all going to go back into the playing squad. Some of it will be banked and then some will be put towards the Edmiston House project and any stadium works that may need done. Aren't some shareholder loans due to be paid back as well?
That’s fine, I don’t expect us to spend all £16.5m on the squad. But £5m on a RW for example isn’t out with the realms of possibility as far as I’m concerned.

That’s what takes it up to potentially £16m no? That’s the add ons in the deal. I thought it was £12m up front with a potential £4m in add ons and a % of the sell on fee?

Sorry mate.

4,5m Gerrard now
8,0m Nathan now

4,0m Nathan over a period of years
4,0m Nathan as games etc targets met

Nathan Sell On - We don’t know.

There are 2 Nathan 4m’s. One based on delayed payments, the second based on targets that may or may not be hit.

I think we try to extend them before the season finishes and if not they are sold we can’t let people run down like Goldson especially 3 of our better players.

Can’t see Aribo signing a new deal to many rumours of him wanting to go to the EPL.

Kent and Alfie who knows.

We will be trying to get extensions sorted, they just won't be public knowledge.

Morelos apparently had a verbal agreement on an extension a while back, not sure whats going on with it though. Probably his agent being a dick again rather than him as he is settled and happy in Scotland.

I don't expect 100% for instance I loved us getting Docherty, it didn't work out but atleast there was far more optimism for him than say Barker.

When Kamara signed I stated he'd be a dark horse of a signing. But I'm definitely not in the boat of some fans that think he must be kept. I'd have happily taken 15m this window if it got us 2 new starting 11 players.

The team has to look to the next level bringing in squad filler isn't progressing us, I'd have happily not signed Bacuna, Wright, Simpson, Ofoborh and put all that into 1 starting 11 signing instead.

We wouldn't have got a starting 11 player for that outlay, unless you mean just their wages, which means it would have needed to be one large bowman deal, involving large signing on fee, so we probably still couldn't have used that money to get a guaranteed starter.

Edmiston House is costing the club more than the initial budgets and projections, it needs more investment. Hence the reason for the last share issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back