Official The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Baldrick

I dislike Porteous, however the meltdown amongst the hibs fans and media fanboys who lavish praise on him would be a sight to see.

bkerr72

There was talk a while back of us going for Hendry. Probably around the time we decided to go for Souttar on a free instead.
No harm to Souttar he's had a terrible time of it since he joined us with the death of his brother plus injuries but I struggle to see where we thought this would be a good deal. As soon as it was announced everyone in my group chat said the exact same thing. What could possibly go wrong.

I didn't want Souttar but I feel a bit sorry for him and i also think some of the stick he's taking is unfair. Gio said he came with an ankle issue from Hearts that they didn't treat so if it was known then and he was in pain then why the hell did we put him through a pre-season?

prenzlauerbear

Not fussed about Porteous either way. He clearly has ability as his performance against Ukraine earlier this season proved. The main problem is that he's always liable to give the opposition one decent chance per match.

Hateley's Mullet

Porteous isn't even good enough to be a standout at Hibs, why the f8ck would we want him? Seriously? We want to be challenging for leagues and European honours with Porteous as a centre half?! The ONLY thing he has going for him is that he's not injured or unfit like our current CHs, but that's hardly a reason to sign him is it?

Alex_Bear

Think just about every time we've played Hibs that fud porteous has given us a goal on a plate through sheer stupidity. He's also been responsible for a good few against that lot. I wouldn't want him anywhere near us even on a free. He played one good game for Scotland against Ukraine I think it was , then the next few games for Hibs thought he was Beckenbauer. Don't think it took him long to revert back to his usual pish though after that kiddy on confidence wore off.

IbroxForever

The 4 games between 15th December Hibs game until the transfer window opening could be very interesting. Loads of deals will be getting sorted right now with the leagues shut down. Will the players on the move away from us play? Could we really expect 100% committed from them?

AdiCR2

Scott Allen - I mean, Ryan Porteous - will not be sold to Rangers. B-)
Which is why we wait until towards the end of January before offering a ridiculous 50k fee to take him early :)

Porteous, while a fucking idiot, is a player who has serious potential. Can’t see it going down too well with the support but when has that stopped us in the past?

kcir elkcip rfc

Wouldn't be giving Hibs a single penny for porteous. Would take him on a free on low wages if possible. I'm sure he'd do well on our bench whilst the Hibs scum spew over it

MYR_93

Porteous isn't even good enough to be a standout at Hibs, why the f8ck would we want him? Seriously? We want to be challenging for leagues and European honours with Porteous as a centre half?! The ONLY thing he has going for him is that he's not injured or unfit like our current CHs, but that's hardly a reason to sign him is it?
We won league titles with a core of Scottish players in the past.

Weir, Whittaker, McCulloch, Thomson, Naismith, Ferguson.

The snobbery of Scottish players has already seen us miss out on some great potential that have already moved to Seria A/EPL.

SuperGers07

Worships Dave Meltzer. The GOAT of Journalism
Which is why we wait until towards the end of January before offering a ridiculous 50k fee to take him early :)

Porteous, while a fucking idiot, is a player who has serious potential. Can’t see it going down too well with the support but when has that stopped us in the past?
To be honest, we need a centre half in the door as early as we can in January.

As it stands we’ve James Sands really for next week only with King just released from
Concussion protocol.

And no sign at all yet of the others

We cannot go into that game against Celtic with the above.

Abacab

He’s Hibs best player mate.

Taverneeeeer

2 bad injuries
Hates our club
Hated by our supporters
Mocked us on tv after our manager left us mid season
At least 2 shocking tackles on our players, probably many more. Posed with a painting standing over one of our players.

Yeah why not
Fans are fickle though mate. He comes and plays well for a few games and people will forget all bout his prior behaviour. He will know that.

NSB

2 bad injuries
Hates our club
Hated by our supporters
At least 2 shocking tackles on our players, probably many more. Posed with a painting standing over one of our players.

Yeah why not
Had Lennon still been in charge, could’ve seen him go there, but don’t think he’s a Fat Ange type of player.

He’ll go south where there’s more money than sense,
Maybe away from Scotland - and the parochial audience he plays up to - he might flourish.

Or he might be the knob most think he is and slip into obscurity.

Qwa

People suggesting Henry over Porteous are being daft in all honesty. Henry is better but we probably couldnt afford him and I doubt he would want to come to us
In terms of Scottish defenders we could've picked up, I think Jason Kerr would've been a decent 4th choice option before he moved to England.

On the plus side, he's since picked up a season-ending ACL injury with Wigan so that's usually a good indicator of his chances of ending up here one day!

BigBassey88

Porteous would be a fantastic addition to the squad , tried and tested in Scotland just requires a bit of guidance. We need scottish players for the quota he ticks boxes, worst case scenario we buy him it doesn't work out we sell him for a million..

Is he better than king? Yes he is an upgrade

CumbrianBear

He played left side of the 3 in the 0-0 with Ukraine if memory serves me and was MOTM.
In a game in which Scotland were under the cosh for most of the game. He made a lot of blocks but also booted the ball into no man’s land or straight back to Ukraine quite often. So he may be useful in games where we expect to be under a lot of pressure which in Scotland at least doesn’t happen often. So the expectation would be for him to be effective with the ball at his feet, and we have seen many players who are right footed but shoe horned in as a left cb struggle and ultimately have the support on their backs.

CaptainCourageous

If Porteous concentrated on his football instead of playing up to his supporters he'd be a better player. A move to a club like Rangers brings responsibilities and standards.

If he wants a career at the top, he'll grow up and mature.

Comfortable with the ball at his feet, can carry it out from the back, decent range of passing and when he actually concentrates on defending can do a solid enough job. FWIW, he's a very good communicator.

Taverneeeeer

In a game in which Scotland were under the cosh for most of the game. He made a lot of blocks but also booted the ball into no man’s land or straight back to Ukraine quite often. So he may be useful in games where we expect to be under a lot of pressure which in Scotland at least doesn’t happen often. So the expectation would be for him to be effective with the ball at his feet, and we have seen many players who are right footed but shoe horned in as a left cb struggle and ultimately have the support on their backs.
Thats all true mate. He would be good in both boxes at set pieces but I totally get what you mean. I suppose Weir managed to be that type of player but he was obviously far more polished and experienced. Overall though, on effectively a free, I'd take the risk.

Number Six

The snobbery of Scottish players has already seen us miss out on some great potential that have already moved to Seria A/EPL.
I agree but none of them were as s**** as Porteus

He should be nowhere near a Rangers team. Imagine letting Balogun & Katic go then brining on Porteus

bkerr72

Can sign a pre contract in January though and either force hibs to sell him to us in jan or lose him for F**k all in summer

Think they would be entitled to a development fee for him due to his age because he's been offered a contract.

It's on page 81 of that document but I could be reading it wrong.

bkerr72

It's not snobbery it's the cost of players and that's why the club doesn't touch them. We only signed 3 of those players you mention directly from the league and it cost us £6m combined for all 3 yet the others you're hinting at were £3m for Doig and £3.5m for Ferguson. We've not paid a transfer fee as big as £2m for any Scottish league player since Naismith.

The club simply doesn't spend big money on players from the league it's the same with the tims outwith Brown and Turnbull. Otherwise they're just like us pick players up on frees , 6 figure deals and the odd £1m-£2m flung in.

gw4877

If Porteous wasn't as much of a lady's front bottom then I'd be happy taking him on a Bosman as back up.

alvin_kirkwood

2 bad injuries
Hates our club
Hated by our supporters

Yeah why not
Scores against Septic in Jan then he is a hero.

MYR_93

It's not snobbery it's the cost of players and that's why the club doesn't touch them. We only signed 3 of those players you mention directly from the league and it cost us £6m combined for all 3 yet the others you're hinting at were £3m for Doig and £3.5m for Ferguson. We've not paid a transfer fee as big as £2m for any Scottish league player since Naismith.

The club simply doesn't spend big money on players from the league it's the same with the tims outwith Brown and Turnbull. Otherwise they're just like us pick players up on frees , 6 figure deals and the odd £1m-£2m flung in.
Which is what is going to cause us to miss out on talent. Times have changed. Liverpool signing players directly from Aberdeen is a direct result of players from Celtic/other Scottish teams going to your Southampton’s of the world and doing well, they’re simply skipping the middle man as a £3/£4m investment is nothing to them.

I’d rather we have spent that £6.5m on those two players than signed Davies/Yilmaz and retaining Davis.

IbroxMainStand

Don't see any of the hype for Porteous at all. Makes regular mistakes at SPL level and has no experience at a higher level other than a few games for Scotland. Feels similar to when we signed Wright, an OK player at that level but is unlikely to make the step up to become a first team regular.

CumbrianBear

Thats all true mate. He would be good in both boxes at set pieces but I totally get what you mean. I suppose Weir managed to be that type of player but he was obviously far more polished and experienced. Overall though, on effectively a free, I'd take the risk.
I can understand why we are potentially considering it, and when all fit I wouldn’t actually expect him to be a first pick anyway. My concern would be him as a person and how he would impact team morale etc. because we are told that the recruitment team look at more than ability. He has actively tried to injure players in games against us. Has purposely gone about winding up Morelos any way he can, you can probably imagine some of the comments he has made in games in an effort to get at him. Can honestly imagine some of the players thinking ‘why have we signed this c*nt?’

Taverneeeeer

I can understand why we are potentially considering it, and when all fit I wouldn’t actually expect him to be a first pick anyway. My concern would be him as a person and how he would impact team morale etc. because we are told that the recruitment team look at more than ability. He has actively tried to injure players in games against us. Has purposely gone about winding up Morelos any way he can, you can probably imagine some of the comments he has made in games in an effort to get at him. Can honestly imagine some of the players thinking ‘why have we signed this c*nt?’
I know mate. But, he will be our c*nt and that might galvanise the dressing room and give them a bit of needed steel when he acts like a dick to players at celtic etc.

gw4877

With regards to winding up Morelos, yes it's pretty underhand tactics but if the shoe was on the other foot and they had a hothead in the Morelos mould I would absolutely be wanting our players to wind him up.

Bluebeard

Porteous is scum who should be nowhere near Rangers.

Massive own goal from Beale if there's any truth in this.
There is absolutely zero wbeiden e to suggest that we will be signing Ryan potreous

It is based on nothing the rumour I don’t know where it came from but why people are believing it and panicking is beyond me.