Official The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Bigbluebear

Not sure he played against us in either game.

He doesn't need to have done however he came on as a sub in at least one of them. I recall a bit of noise about him at the time due to how highly he was rated. He would have been noticed during scouting of the team as upcoming opponents.

BombersBoots

talk about lazy scouting and going back in for players that you couldnt get before

we should be moving on and getting the youngest fittest players on the plantet not just players is the english champ, thats gonna cost decent money on wages

african leagues like that guy the other day, the other from france who we werent interested in summer
This would require a good scouting department and a progressive competent DOF instead we have Ross Wilson.

We should be scouring the world Brexit has actually made it easier for us to sign players we should h by e scouring places liked Brazil and Argentina plenty of Gems to be found.

stephen ferris

they still get money for there duds that they sign

they hardly ever sign injury prone players that are injured after a couple of games

my point was last january they signed a few players not much more then we payed for davies that made a difference to them
Christopher julien signed for 7 million (was injured for a year) sold for under 1 million.

Barkas signed for for 5 million, he is now on loan with almost zero transfer value

Ajeti signed for 5 million, he is now on loan with a fraction of transfer value.

Bongoli signed for 3 million, left for a fraction of this.

Klimala signed for 3.5 million, sold for a fraction of his value.

Soro signed for 2.5 million, he is now on loan with little value.

Don’t think they are as good as you say, at getting money back for duds. The point I am making is they keep spending, if you do that you have a much better chance at success.

DerekSSR

Where the real difference is is that we’ve spent our transfer fee budget on three players that are not contributing enough for one reason or other - Davies, Yilmaz and Matondo.

They may come good but we sorely needed to improve the first 11 and these guys haven’t. We’ve also not really played the loan market well.

You can count Colak as our bargain signing and also give credit for Lawrence also if we’re being fair. Going back the same periods, we have to say Lundstram and Sakala have been good signings for what they are.

It’s not black and white but having three big summer signings not improving the team is where any blame should rest.

Fine margins but that is what makes or breaks us.
Spot on, spending that money on Yilmaz to have him sitting on the bench all season was insane really, much rather we improved that starting 11 with the money we spent on him, he may well come good but a project signing isn't what we needed.

Bigbluebear

Christopher julien signed for 7 million (was injured for a year) sold for under 1 million.

Barkas signed for for 5 million, he is now on loan with almost zero transfer value

Ajeti signed for 5 million, he is now on loan with a fraction of transfer value.

Bongoli signed for 3 million, left for a fraction of this.

Klimala signed for 3.5 million, sold for a fraction of his value.

Soro signed for 2.5 million, he is now on loan with little value.

Don’t think they are as good as you say, at getting money back for duds. The point I am making is they keep spending, if you do that you have a much better chance at success.

They have huge cash reserves compared to us.

They made an absolute fortune over the period we were out the league and prior to Gerrard arriving, with limited spending, massive amounts of incoming transfer fees and a couple of seasons with CL appearances.

It's still not a level playing field in that regard. Probably a few years off it still.

We are only on year 6 / 7 of the boards 10 year recovery plan, and likely a bit ahead of schedule as well.

The Moon on Mars is Blue

Since Wilson has been in the job Celtic have also signed.
Barkas 5 million
Christopher julien 7 million
Ajeti 5 million
Klimala 3.5 million
Bongoli 3 million
Soro 2.5
Shane Duffy 2 Million Loan fee.
So even though they have made some good signings, they have wasted more money than Wilson has spent in Total.
Is this there good ones? I couldn’t pick out half of them in a line up. Who the feck is Urhogide, or Dawson, Lawal, Abilgard etc …
Some list of players from Celtic. What is does show is that they have had money to spend . A very mixed bag with a lot of money wasted. We don't have the same money to spend.
devils advocaat

02 Alistair Johnston, £3.5m from CF Montreal, Dec 2022 [BBC]
18 Yuki Kobayashi, free from Vissel Kobe, Nov 2022 [BBC]
28 Oliver Abildgaard, (loan) from Rubin Kazan, Sep 2022 [BBC]
09 Sead Haksabanovic £1.7m from Rubin Kazan, Aug 2022 [BBC]
06 Moritz Jenz, (loan) from Lorient, Jul 2022 [BBC]
13 Aaron Mooy, free from Shanghai Port, Jul 2022 [BBC]
17 Jota, £6.5m from Benfica, Jul 2022 [BBC]
25 Alexandro Bernabei, £3.75m from Atletico Lanus, Jun 2022 [BBC]
31 Benjamin Siegrist, free from Dundee United, Jun 2022 [BBC]
20 Cameron Carter-Vickers, £6m from Tottenham Hotspur, Jun 2022 [BBC]
38 Daizen Maeda, £2m from Yokohama Marinos, May 2022 [BBC]
33 Matt O’Riley, £1.5m from Milton Keynes Dons, Jan 2022 [BBC]
24 Johnny Kenny, £125,000 from Sligo Rovers, Jan 2022 [BBC]
41 Reo Hatate, £1.4m from Kawasaki Frontale, Jan 2022 [BBC]
21 Yosuke Ideguchi, £850,000 from Gamba Osaka, Jan 2022 [BBC]
38 Daizen Maeda, (loan) from Yokohama Marinos, Jan 2022 [BBC]
20 Cameron Carter-Vickers, (loan) from Tottenham Hotspur, Aug 2021 [BBC]
17 Jota, (loan) from Benfica, Aug 2021 [BBC]
07 Giorgos Giakoumakis, £2.5m from VVV-Venlo, Aug 2021 [BBC]
05 Liam Scales, £500,000 from Shamrock Rovers, Aug 2021 [BBC]
88 Josip Juranovic, £2.5m from Legia Warsaw, Aug 2021 [BBC]
15 Joe Hart, £1m from Tottenham Hotspur, Aug 2021 [BBC]
16 James McCarthy, free from Crystal Palace, Aug 2021 [BBC]
04 Carl Starfelt, £4m from Rubin Kazan, Jul 2021 [BBC]
08 Kyogo Furuhashi, £4.6m from Vissel Kobe, Jul 2021 [BBC]
11 Liel Abada, £3.4m from Maccabi Petah Tikva, Jul 2021 [BBC]
50 Bosun Lawal, £120,000 from Watford, Jul 2021 [BBC]
26 Osaze Urhoghide, £200,000 from Sheffield Wednesday, Jul 2021 [BBC]
30 Liam Shaw, £300,000 from Sheffield Wednesday, Jul 2021 [BBC]
44 Joey Dawson, free from Scunthorpe United, Jun 2021 [BBC]

Rodney Wallace

They have huge cash reserves compared to us.

They made an absolute fortune over the period we were out the league and prior to Gerrard arriving, with limited spending, massive amounts of incoming transfer fees and a couple of seasons with CL appearances.

It's still not a level playing field in that regard. Probably a few years off it still.

We are only on year 6 / 7 of the boards 10 year recovery plan, and likely a bit ahead of schedule as well.

Rarely see it mentioned. But it must make some difference. Their major shareholder is widely recognised as a billionaire.

That matters. Less so now FFP is in place but it still provides them and incredible buffer spending wise.

JMCK

Where the real difference is is that we’ve spent our transfer fee budget on three players that are not contributing enough for one reason or other - Davies, Yilmaz and Matondo.

They may come good but we sorely needed to improve the first 11 and these guys haven’t. We’ve also not really played the loan market well.

You can count Colak as our bargain signing and also give credit for Lawrence also if we’re being fair. Going back the same periods, we have to say Lundstram and Sakala have been good signings for what they are.

It’s not black and white but having three big summer signings not improving the team is where any blame should rest.

Fine margins but that is what makes or breaks us.
Good post, but hopefully there's still time this season for these players to make an impact.

Bluebeard

Realistically and with various reasons the following players won’t be here come the summer -

Mcgregor
McLaughlin
Helander
Davis
Jack
Arfield
Kamara
Morelos
Kent
Sands
Tillman

I may have missed someone out but that’s eleven players. A huge amount of experience to lose in one window.

It really is a colossal rebuild that MB has taken on

BombersBoots

Realistically and with various reasons the following players won’t be here come the summer -

Mcgregor
McLaughlin
Helander
Davis
Jack
Arfield
Kamara
Morelos
Kent
Sands
Tillman

I may have missed someone out but that’s eleven players. A huge amount of experience to lose in one window.

McLaughlin, still has a year left in the summer and won’t be going anywhere.
Arfield and Jack will still be there I would be extremely surprised if they aren’t extended rightly or wrongly.

Awritenobad

Mcgregor
McLaughlin
Helander
Davis
Jack
Arfield
Kamara
Morelos
Kent
Sands
Tillman

I know the noise surrounding January windows about there not being quality available, but we need to get as many in as possible and settled before the summer.

2 or 3 in January and 3 or 4 in the summer hopefully, with maybe even 1 or 2 from your list staying.

JMCK

Arfield and Jack will still be there I would be extremely surprised if they aren’t extended rightly or wrongly.
I'd be surprised if we extended on Arfield.

Bluebeard

McLaughlin will be away, Macrorie will be our number 2 and a new top class GK will come in to take over the gloves from the legendary McGregor

JMCK

I could see us going for a goalkeeper in January; if one was available it would make complete sense to do so, even if it was a loan.

BombersBoots

Same here.
Gerrard loved Jack so i would imagine Beale is of the same opinion he’s not one of our top earners either and with our recent recruitment history I can’t see us suddenly bringing someone better in.

We should have moved on from Davis, Jack and Arfield but unfortunately we are where we are so need to make the best of what’s available.

cs1958

I dont see whats mental about it but then i dont see any posters having a go that i would ever take seriously.

You are (i think)the guy that told us every day Patterson was nowhere near Tavs level and only gave it aI think he would do well in that position if given the chance the point about Wright i really dont see how anyone could argue hes never a wide man his best quality/qualities is energy, movement and attitude.

SuperGers07

Worships Dave Meltzer. The GOAT of Journalism
Gerrard loved Jack so i would imagine Beale is of the same opinion he’s not one of our top earners either and with our recent recruitment history I can’t see us suddenly bringing someone better in.

We should have moved on from Davis, Jack and Arfield but unfortunately we are where we are so need to make the best of what’s available.
Absolutely depressing stuff that we are likely going to hand out new deals to consistent injury victims and ageing players.

Aribo17

Man Utd preparing to sign Jack Wylie from us and James Wilson from Hearts. They would need to pay £120'000 for each player. Tried to sign Rory Wilson but failed after he went to Villa.

Edited

Last edited:

JMCK

Jack's a stick on to stay. Not sure I'd agree with it but completely understand why he will.

Homegrown, vastly reduced wage(I imagine), contract on a year by year basis.
If we reinforce the midfield Jack may prosper more with have less of a dependency on him. The goalkeeper and midfield is where we may attempt to strengthen immediately. If Beale could compliment an improvement in the form of players here already with a couple of signings, that may give us something to go on going into the summer.

cs1958

sands played a lot of games as a full back in the states ,not a big fan of him but could see a decent full back in him ,richard gough was a full back as was craig moore in their early career could see him being an understudy for tav, as a kid seen sandy jardine playing centre forward before he found his natural position as a international class right back

BombersBoots

Absolutely depressing stuff that we are likely going to hand out new deals to consistent injury victims and ageing players.
We are where we are if it was only Jack that was injury prone then it wouldn’t be so bad but we have a constant full treatment room and both Davis and Arfield are past their sell buy date.

Who’s nation trained we can replace both Jack and Arfield with?

Fleck doesn’t improve us ,
Ali McCann? Was a decent player at StJohnstone not sure how Preston had went for him or if he’s now financially out of our reach.
Really can’t think of many more as McLean has apparently extended at Norwich.

BombersBoots

Jack's a stick on to stay. Not sure I'd agree with it but completely understand why he will.

Homegrown, vastly reduced wage(I imagine), contract on a year by year basis.
I honestly think he will be here and I am happy enough with him as he still makes a good contribution when fit although the start of this season it took him an age to get up to fitness.

Is that because he’s getting old or was it down to our poor quality fitness department?

BombersBoots

sands played a lot of games as a full back in the states ,not a big fan of him but could see a decent full back in him ,richard gough was a full back as was craig moore in their early career could see him being an understudy for tav, as a kid seen sandy jardine playing centre forward before he found his natural position as a international class right back
Is 4 million worth the risk to try him in every position in the team to see if he comes good.

Personally we should spend the money on a CB or a CDM or something else 4 million for a utility player that struggles to get a game when everyone is fit is far too much.

Qwa

We are where we are if it was only Jack that was injury prone then it wouldn’t be so bad but we have a constant full treatment room and both Davis and Arfield are past their sell buy date.

Ali McCann? Was a decent player at StJohnstone not sure how Preston had went for him or if he’s now financially out of our reach.
Doing very well down there, was one I wished we'd gone for.

Beale/Gerrard played Stephen Kelly a bit in their last pre-season before leaving then he never really got a look under Gio. Would he have classed as homegrown? Curious if Wilson put a buy-back clause in his Livi deal.

The_Gaffer

Not to add to what is traditionally an OTT thread, but if we hand out new deals again to Arfield, Davis, Jack and McGregor that just screams a lack of ideas and planning.

It appears the club is a bit nervous about life after these guys.

SDF

I honestly think he will be here and I am happy enough with him as he still makes a good contribution when fit although the start of this season it took him an age to get up to fitness.

Is that because he’s getting old or was it down to our poor quality fitness department?

His previous injury record goes suggest his body simply cannot handle the rigours.

BombersBoots

Doing very well down there, was one I wished we'd gone for.

Beale/Gerrard played Stephen Kelly a bit in their last pre-season before leaving then he never really got a look under Gio. Would he have classed as homegrown? Curious if Wilson put a buy-back clause in his Livi deal.
A poster on here said we are scouting him not sure what his cost would be.

As for Kelly I haven’t been impressed any time I’ve seen him.

cs1958

Is 4 million worth the risk to try him in every position in the team to see if he comes good.

Personally we should spend the money on a CB or a CDM or something else 4 million for a utility player that struggles to get a game when everyone is fit is far too much.
l said l was no fan of him,but think right back where he has played and was ok is his natural position ,but would never pay 4 million for him,sure his caps for the usa were as a fullback

JMCK

We could be overlooking Lowry here, and may well have a player Beale can really push on. Lowry, if Beale can bring him into the team properly, may make a bigger impact than we appreciate right now, in an immediate sense.

BombersBoots

His previous injury record goes suggest his body simply cannot handle the rigours.
I thought we had got to the bottom of his main issue?

It was his core fitness that seemed to be terrible the start of this season an issue he’s never really had before.

Barrymoped

Not to add to what is traditionally an OTT thread, but if we hand out new deals again to Arfield, Davis, Jack and McGregor that just screams a lack of ideas and planning.

I’d be extremely surprised if we extended McGregor or Davis. But wouldn’t be surprised if Jack and Arfield got 1 year extra on reduced terms, just because we cannot afford to replace everyone at once.

BombersBoots

l said l was no fan of him,but think right back where he has played and was ok is his natural position ,but would never pay 4 million for him,sure his caps for the usa were as a fullback

We agree on that, He mainly played right of a back 3 for them as far as I am aware.

If he was a cheap punt he would be worth holding on too as he’s got something but a million tops for me.

BombersBoots

We could be overlooking Lowry here, and may well have a player Beale can really push on. Lowry, if Beale can bring him into the team properly, may make a bigger impact than we appreciate right now, in an immediate sense.
I hope he does Lowry is the most positive player in our set up but there is a lot of noise surrounding his application.

Let’s see if Beale uses him potentially as one of his inverted 10s as I think he would really suit that position.

Follow1996

The Fee for sands whatever it may be it’s a good few million upwards anyway could be much better used imo, with Morelos looking likely to be leaving we need to use that fee to bring in a decent striker.

BombersBoots

Davis and McGregor shouldn’t have been kept this season but our planning is utterly awful.

Burgh-Ger

Spot on, spending that money on Yilmaz to have him sitting on the bench all season was insane really, much rather we improved that starting 11 with the money we spent on him, he may well come good but a project signing isn't what we needed.

I feel sorry for Yilmaz, he was just breaking in to the 1st 11 when he got injured