The young lad Turnbull

I’d like us to sign him, tidy player and he’s only 21. I would imagine that motherwell would be wanting around 3m for him but and i don’t think he’s worth that.

Forgive me for being lazy and not going through the 9 pages of David Turnbull discussion, but can someone please tell me - are we even interested in him? Is he reportedly on our radar?

Forgive me for being lazy and not going through the 9 pages of David Turnbull discussion, but can someone please tell me - are we even interested in him? Is he reportedly on our radar?

We obviously know about him. Interested in him? I’d say no to that one.

Last edited:

TBH it’s more people wanting him than any interest.

Watched him today, he was deployed deeper in the midfield didn't really see anything in him other than good technique on the dead balls.
Played a lot of backwards and sideways passes and looked like he lacked any place.
On the other hand I thought Campbell was excellent, breaking it up winning his battles and kept it tidy and simple.

Watched him today, he was deployed deeper in the midfield didn't really see anything in him other than good technique on the dead balls.
Played a lot of backwards and sideways passes and looked like he lacked any place.
On the other hand I thought Campbell was excellent, breaking it up winning his battles and kept it tidy and simple.
Backwards and sideways you say? Can see why the filth fancied him as Browns replacement

How many of you thought Ryan Jack was bang average at the sheep?

Good players flourish when surrounded by better players.

I doubt we can afford him right now, but I think we’ll kick ourselves in a few years.

If Gerrard wanted him we could afford him easily. He has already brought in players for more than Motherwell want for Turnbull.

Or he could be another one season wonder. £3m on a Motherwell player is a massive gamble and you could get far better value for money elsewhere imho.
I‘m not saying we spend £3m on him. Of course he may be a one season wonder but until he is he is a better than an average SPFL player but even if he doesn’t reach the same numbers, people need to remember he’s a young boy who is developing.

I‘m not saying we spend £3m on him. Of course he may be a one season wonder but until he is he is a better than an average SPFL player but even if he doesn’t reach the same numbers, people need to remember he’s a young boy who is developing.

Im fairly certain he is still going to end up at the piggery, perhaps clouding my judgment, so he is always going to be yet another SPL diddy in my mind. :)

If we're taking someone from Motherwell, I'd prefer Allan Campbell.
He's only played one full season so far, whereas Docherty had played 3 before coming to us

Allan Campbell is the one I'd be keeping an eye on
Made a point of watching this boy after thread, never wasted a pass and was full of energy ,box to box player, In fact I was really impressed with him

My son in law is a Well fan, and when we signed Jamie Murphy, he said that can have him, he's mince. Turnbull is a far better player.

I watched the first 20-25 mins of the game and it was Turnball that stood out with a couple of nice balls through (one that led to their offside goal).

I never noticed or heard Campbell’s name in that time (TBF my full attention wasn’t in the game).

I watched the first 20-25 mins of the game and it was Turnball that stood out with a couple of nice balls through (one that led to their offside goal).

I never noticed or heard Campbell’s name in that time (TBF my full attention wasn’t in the game).
Aye was probably his peak in the game, tidy enough player with Campbell doing the graft, the hard yards if you will.
Anyway %^*& Motherwell we need better than their best.

Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Fucked knees even at his age. Nearly ready to sign for the bheasts and was all in when the deal was nearly done.
not saying he’s a bad player, he’s decent but not what we require. We need a player of a somewhat higher calibre. And not someone who was all ready to go and be balls deep in the manky green and grey.

would much rather be looking at someone with a bit more bite, someone who is as hard as nails, can tackle and takes no prisoners. We sorely lack this type of player.

Wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Fucked knees even at his age. Nearly ready to sign for the bheasts and was all in when the deal was nearly done.
not saying he’s a bad player, he’s decent but not what we require. We need a player of a somewhat higher calibre. And not someone who was all ready to go and be balls deep in the manky green and grey.

would much rather be looking at someone with a bit more bite, someone who is as hard as nails, can tackle and takes no prisoners. We sorely lack this type of player.
He’s not got fucked knees. He had a long standing injury on one knee which he’d played on for a few years no knowing he had it. Picked up on the scan. Operated on and now fully fit.

His knees are less fucked that Niko Katic.

Allan Campbell will never be good enough for us. The desire to believe he’s a good player is weird.

He is a good player. If you've ever watched him play a few times then you'd know that.

Whether he's good enough for us right now is debatable sure. Whether he has potential to grow as a player and become good enough to be a regular Rangers player is not.

Ryan Jack at the time he signed for us wouldn't have been good enough to get into our current side. He's improved massively since then, with his individual game improving along with the teams as a whole and I believe we're worse off without him just now.

Campbell certainly has the potential to follow a similar path as Jack has taken.

I've mentioned Campbell before in a Lewis Ferguson thread when folk were suggesting we should go for him. Personally I'd take Campbell over Ferguson any day of the week but that's another debate altogether.

That there is just my humble opinion.

His knees are less fucked that Niko Katic.
True to be fair. I suppose that’s going to be a more common issue with players nowadays, the knees are always going to take a doing. But at 21, the knees should be strong enough to take the pressure. Turnbulls both knees have had ops, so there’s a major chance he’ll be injury prone for the rest of his career. We’ve had enough injury prone players over the last 20odd years, and spent fortunes on them. Waste of money for me. Wouldn’t touch him, certainly not for £3m either.

True to be fair. I suppose that’s going to be a more common issue with players nowadays, the knees are always going to take a doing. But at 21, the knees should be strong enough to take the pressure. Turnbulls both knees have had ops, so there’s a major chance he’ll be injury prone for the rest of his career. We’ve had enough injury prone players over the last 20odd years, and spent fortunes on them. Waste of money for me. Wouldn’t touch him, certainly not for £3m either.

Both knees? Where's that from?

Only one knee and it was a cartilage problem iirc as his had worn down - thats a world away from having had ligament surgery.

Only one knee and it was a cartilage problem iirc as his had worn down - thats a world away from having had ligament surgery.
Cartilage issues is still a shit thing to have in the knee, if it’s not dealt with correctly it can be nasty. He would still be too much of a risk for me. Let the mentally challengeds take him for £3m, he will end up on the treatment table more than the pitch.

Cartilage issues is still a shit thing to have in the knee, if it’s not dealt with correctly it can be nasty. He would still be too much of a risk for me. Let the mentally challengeds take him for £3m, he will end up on the treatment table more than the pitch.
It's been dealt with, hence the surgery.

maybe use Murphy as swap? I'm loath to pay 3 million but if we can offload at same time, it maybe make sense
I keep reading this type of thing. Throw in Murphy, or throw in Docherty. I don't think they want to go to Motherwell at this point in their career. Not to mention the wage we are paying them.

Anyone who denies Turnbull's talent is at it. He's two-footed, plays with his head up and always seems to find space — his goals last year were no fluke. There's room for improvement physically.

I'm no fatalist, but there's something poetic about the idea of him signing and ripping it up given everything that went on last year.

Turnbull is a very good player, £3 million is arguably too much for him. That said, I’m glad to see Scottish teams no longer selling for pennies. I have a feeling he will end up in the East end, hopefully doesn’t bite us in the arse.

I keep reading this type of thing. Throw in Murphy, or throw in Docherty. I don't think they want to go to Motherwell at this point in their career. Not to mention the wage we are paying them.
Tbf, they will both take a step down to reignite their careers. I still have hope Murphy can contribute but it seems unlikely, Doc isn’t good enough and could maybe carve a career in the championship. Murphy on the hand would probably consider dropping down for poetic reasons and getting game time.

I'd have been delighted to get him at £1m-£1.5m last year but the Dhims fee of over £3m was ridiculous then and its ridiculous now. If he rips it up again this season then perhaps he will be worth that next Summer but, right now, he has still to prove he can get back to that. Even Motherwell fans are describing his return as 'slow and steady', which is what you'd expect in all honesty. Good bit to go yet.

Who's to say its not feasible? Murphy could probably just want to restart his career and where best that his boyhood club ? Wouldn't need to uproot family again , there are lots of pluses beyond money.
Docherty is much the same although fair bit younger.

Both knees were not operated on I can categorically tell you that. First op was repair, second op was taking screws out of original op. You can also take it from me that his knee is fine!

Both knees were not operated on I can categorically tell you that. First op was repair, second op was taking screws out of original op. You can also take it from me that his knee is fine!
As I said earlier. I fact checked myself, it was only one knee. If his knee is fine, great. Has zero consequence on our squad, he’s not our player and I wouldnt take him.
Decent player. Not of rangers standard for me.

Back