The young lad Turnbull

Who does Turnbull replace in our starting 11 ?
Nobody, he would have to work to get into our 1st team. Just like Roofe, Itten, Bassey and McLaughlin. Balogun slightly different as he is fully match sharp and an injury to Katic / Helander returning from one means he slotted straight in.

The days of us signing players and them walking into our first XI are done. They will have to work and prove the place is theres before they get the jersey.

Nobody, he would have to work to get into our 1st team. Just like Roofe, Itten, Bassey and McLaughlin. Balogun slightly different as he is fully match sharp and an injury to Katic / Helander returning from one means he slotted straight in.

The days of us signing players and them walking into our first XI are done. They will have to work and prove the place is theres before they get the jersey.
Hard work or not I will say it again then for your benefit, we won't be signing him, he's not better than what we already have and won't improve us in any department, very fine playing against the rest of Scottish Football but when he comes up against far superior opposition he's nowhere to be seen, next game against us and them will prove that.

Turnbull is a diddy who won’t do anything in his career apart from kicking %^*& out of people. He’s technically awful

Turnbull is the best young player technically in Scotland by quite a bit. If you watch Motherwell games it’s easy to see how good a player he is and how far ahead of his teammates he is with his movement and spotting runs

Fully expect the Tims to go back in for him near the end of the window after he’s basically got rid of his ring rust at Motherwell. They’ll have him replace Christie who’s going next summer

My guess is the first word in your post is meant to be 'Campbell'. I don't agree with what you say about him but it makes more sense than how your post came out with the wildly differing assessments of - as it reads - Turnbull.:confused:

Last edited:
Hard work or not I will say it again then for your benefit, we won't be signing him, he's not better than what we already have and won't improve us in any department, very fine playing against the rest of Scottish Football but when he comes up against far superior opposition he's nowhere to be seen, next game against us and them will prove that.
What you talking about 'i will say it again for your benefit' - You never said that in the first place you asked who he would replace in our first team?

Smart arse.

Remember when Jake Hastie was the best thing to come out of Motherwell since British steel?

Or Docherty was going to be star?

Or Barrie McKay, or Lewis McLeod?

Etc, etc, etc.

It takes an awful lot more than a few decent showings against the makeweights of the SPFL to become a Rangers first team player.

Remember when Jake Hastie was the best thing to come out of Motherwell since British steel?

Etc, etc, etc.

It takes an awful lot more than a few decent showings against the makeweights of the SPFL to become a Rangers first team player.

Aye it takes us as fans to show a bit of patience and not treat youngsters the way we treated Barrie and Charlie Adam.

Also playing for Motherwell doesn’t mean you can’t grow and play for Rangers.

Playing for is as much a confidence and mentality thing as it is an ability thing.

We have signed a lot of great players from within Scottish Football and there are more there given the right opportunity.

No. Additionally, we have his skill set in both Hagi & Aribo, in that they can both create & score.

To me in midfield & attacking support, we need more power & pace.

On that basis, my vote would be a no.

I agree Grigo.

He's not what we need just now.

We have better young players in his position.

He seems injury prone.
He nearly signed for them, basically did.
Motherwell would try to charge us a small fortune for him.

And for those reasons, I'm out.
Injury prone?

One injury picked up on their medical. He hasn't had any other injuries unrelated to that one.

You may as well just say it's because he nearly signed for them.

Hagi or jack currently.

He plays a totally different position to Jack.

He certainly doesn't have the skill set, physicality, or athleticism to play a deep central midfield position for us.

If you think he's better than Hagi, then fair enough mate, but I don't see what he's done in his career so far for you to come to that conclusion.

I would take him. Proven goal scoring midfielder in the league we play in, with a very average side. Is not the type of player we are looking for? Watched him a few times and has a great touch and technically very good. Would settle in no problem and is very young. Could see him working very well in a midfield alongside Jack and Aribo.

Etc, etc, etc.

What about Fraser, Robertson, Armstrong, McGinn, Fleck, McCarthy, McArthur, Snodgrass and probably a handful of others doing well in the Premier League?

My mates been watching them since the early 60s and rates Turnbull as having more potential than the likes of Pettigrew, McCulloch, McFadden etc. at that stage of their careers.
Willie Pettigrew now there is a blast from the past. He was only really good because of the guy playing behind him in midfield for Motherwell. Bobby Graham I think was his name. He was setting Pettigrew up to score goals. When he went to DU and split from Graham he never scored anywhere near the same amount of goals. His carreer went downhill from there.

Best young player in Scotland? Yeah. Should we buy him? Depends.

• Can we get him for a good price. We paid 3 million for a full Romanian international in Hagi for comparison.
  • Will he get game time for us or will we stifle his development?
  • He had major knee surgery at a very young age. Are we 100% sure he is over it?
  • Why have Celtc not come back in for him?

Best young player in Scotland? Yeah. Should we buy him? Depends.

• Can we get him for a good price. We paid 3 million for a full Romanian international in Hagi for comparison.
  • Will he get game time for us or will we stifle his development?
  • He had major knee surgery at a very young age. Are we 100% sure he is over it?
  • Why have Celtc not come back in for him?
They'll wait for his contract to run down, then get him cheaper and fitness proven.

I would take him. Proven goal scoring midfielder in the league we play in, with a very average side. Is not the type of player we are looking for? Watched him a few times and has a great touch and technically very good. Would settle in no problem and is very young. Could see him working very well in a midfield alongside Jack and Aribo.
I would agree,I think he would be worth a punt, he's a very good young player who will get better, providing he's over his injury problems I would sign him.

He plays a totally different position to Jack.

He certainly doesn't have the skill set, physicality, or athleticism to play a deep central midfield position for us.

If you think he's better than Hagi, then fair enough mate, but I don't see what he's done in his career so far for you to come to that conclusion.
Since Hagi signed in January he hasn’t really impressed me at all domestically.

Willie Pettigrew now there is a blast from the past. He was only really good because of the guy playing behind him in midfield for Motherwell. Bobby Graham I think was his name. He was setting Pettigrew up to score goals. When he went to DU and split from Graham he never scored anywhere near the same amount of goals. His carreer went downhill from there.

Bobby Graham was a great wee player. Vastly under-rated.

Pettigrew was never the same away from Motherwell - though, to be fair, he twice won the League Cup with Dundee United and the First Division with Hearts. His only honours.

Last edited:
Bobby Graham was a great wee player. Vastly under-rated.

Pettigrew was never the same away from Motherwell - though, to be fair, he won the League Cup with Dundee United and the First Division with Hearts. His only honours.
Graham was a very intelligent footballer who did well at Fir Park. They were a decent side at the time and had a support that had no 19th Century Terrorist leanings.
I knew a guy that stopped going the minute Davie Hay was appointed manager there.

I work with a few Well fans , when we signed Hastie they said we'd got the wrong man and that Turnbull was by far the better player , it's a no brainer for me even based on Keith Lasleys assessment of the boy which is glowing. Lasley is no legend of the game but he's been around and has watched Turnbull through all the ranks and says he'll be a top player.

Motherwell fans know more about hammer throwing than football..

Turnbull and Campbell will both go on and have very good careers, I'd rate them up there as two of the best players in the league outwith us and the tims. If they signed, I'd have no complaints but I don't see us going after them.

Both are also much better than Lewis Ferguson who gets mentioned on here daily.

Graham was a very intelligent footballer who did well at Fir Park. They were a decent side at the time and had a support that had no 19th Century Terrorist leanings.
I knew a guy that stopped going the minute Davie Hay was appointed manager there.

Had loads of ex-Rangers around that time as well and we, of course, had McCloy and Forsyth from them. As my mate was a 'Well fan I used to go to a few of their games when we weren't playing and their support was nothing like it is today. Had some memorable nights against Stoke City and Spurs around then as well. Changed days.

My mum's side of the family are from Motherwell and Belshill and although they're all Gers fans, they knew and grew up with plenty Motherwell supporters.

They claim that their generation of Well fans, 60s, 70s, 80s, all had Loyalist/Unionist leanings, but the newer generation has nationalist leanings.

My mum's side of the family are from Motherwell and Belshill and although they're all Gers fans, they knew and grew up with plenty Motherwell supporters.

They claim that their generation of Well fans, 60s, 70s, 80s, all had Loyalist leanings, but the newer generation has nationalist leanings.
An accurate description.

Had loads of ex-Rangers around that time as well and we, of course, had McCloy and Forsyth from them. As my mate was a 'Well fan I used to go to a few of their games when we weren't playing and their support was nothing like it is today. Had some memorable nights against Stoke City and Spurs around then as well. Changed days.
I was at both games.
Stoke City, to see Gordon Banks.
Spurs, because Iiked that Spurs side.

We should definitely be considering him but not for the £3m+ Celtic were quoted for.
His injury record alone rules out spending that amount of money for me.

He’ll only have one more year on his contract come Summer 2021. If we are interested, that will be the time to get serious about it. Motherwell will not want to risk losing him on a free.

Last edited:
We should definitely be considering him but not for the £3m+ Celtic were quoted for.
His injury record along rules out spending that amount of money for me.

He’ll only have one more year on his contract come Summer 2021. If we are interested, that will be the time to get serious about it. Motherwell will not want to risk losing him on a free.

One injury in five years? His injury was so bad that he managed to win young player of the year while carrying it.

The last great player to play for Rangers to have come from a diddy team is Ian Ferguson when he signed from the then Scottish cup winners - St Mirren.

They claim that their generation of Well fans, 60s, 70s, 80s, all had Loyalist/Unionist leanings, but the newer generation has nationalist leanings.

I reckon you could apply this to most of the teams in Scotland these days.

Back