The young lad Turnbull

The last great player to play for Rangers to have come from a diddy team is Ian Ferguson when he signed from the then Scottish cup winners - St Mirren.

A standout with st boo and scored the only goal in the scotia cup final for them.

We're not having to spend a chunk of 3 million quid to get Katic on our books though.
The club seemed quite happy to bring in Zungu despite a knee injury and not performing when he came back from his injury so there's no reason why something like that would stop the club from looking at Turnbull

Dunno if your serious. Hope not.
I'm not. I'm just pointing out how daft it is to write a player off on the basis of one injury which he actually played through and won young player of the year while carrying and was only discovered when he had his medical with them.

IIRC, it wasnt actually severe enough to stop him playing at the time once it was discovered but the decision was taken for him to get an op to avoid potential problems further down the line.

I'm not. I'm just pointing out how daft it is to write a player off on the basis of one injury which he actually played through and won young player of the year while carrying and was only discovered when he had his medical with them.

IIRC, it wasnt actually severe enough to stop him playing at the time once it was discovered but the decision was taken for him to get an op to avoid potential problems further down the line.
If its that daft how come Celtc didnt buy him then?

If its that daft how come Celtc didnt buy him then?

Because they weren't willing to pay what 3m without his knee being cleaned up. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they go back in for him next summer or even in the winter once he's shown hes back up to fitness and showing no issues after his op.

I think there's one clear reason why Gerrard is not going for/interested in these players (Docherty, Turnbull etc), he knows they are not the type of player or level required to achieve what is expected from him in the job. Leave them to the smaller clubs.
Personally it actually fills me with confidence that he sees this and seems to have his own idea of what kind of players are needed.
3 games, 3 wins, 3 clean sheets, can't argue with results.
Gerrard is the most experienced football man in Scottish game right now, his is the opinion I'll be trusting.

The last great player to play for Rangers to have come from a diddy team is Ian Ferguson when he signed from the then Scottish cup winners - St Mirren.
through the years
colin stein, super, davie Cooper, Bobby Russell, ian ferguson Andy goram

Watched a good few videos of Turnbull. If this was a foreign lad we would be pretty excited about him - it works both ways. We've a habit of turning our noses up at Scottish Premiership and foreign players.

Right foot, left foot he can strike, deliver and pass a ball. Stats show he can spray the ball about and is comfortable in possession. It's what excited some about Bongani Zungu.

Edge of the area and he's always looking for a dig at goal - this is where we tend to try that extra pass or intricate pass. Plays with his head up.

I'd imagine if we made a move then the bheggars would too. His knee is supposedly stronger than ever - recent interview with Turnbull.

£3.25m is a gamble no matter where the player comes from.

What about Fraser, Robertson, Armstrong, McGinn, Fleck, McCarthy, McArthur, Snodgrass and probably a handful of others doing well in the Premier League?

I agree that it happens and we’ll remain interested in promising young Scottish talent just as we’ve always been, but it’s becoming a rarer occurrence nowadays and the very best talent is also going to attract EPL clubs just as Gilmour did Chelsea.

I also think some of our supporters can be a bit myopic with their radar and believe a few good performances for a club like Motherwell is all it requires for us to be whipping the chequebook out.

Thankfully the football operation we have at the club now appears a lot more thorough in its assessment of who has what it takes to succeed at Ibrox.

Saw he got on the scoresheet yesterday. I'll tell you something he's as natural a goalscoring midfielder that I've seen coming through up here in a long time.

Gets into goalscoring positions for fun, very composed in front of goal, clean striker of the ball & not afraid to take a dig from distance. Would love us to add this boy to our squad.
Sadly its probably best for the lad if we didn't- we don't really have a great track record of signing young talent and phasing them into the team, Jack was an established player, any other young lad that I remember we've signed as a "future player" has never made it and moved on, probably wondering what if.....

I have to say I think he will go on to be a very tidy player for someone. He just looks so classy on the ball.

Problem is that he will be expensive (I really don't understand why we didn't get him before he renewed his deal as his potential was clear) & doesn't play in a position which is a priority in terms of transfer activity.

We should be watching Ali McCann to see how he progresses as he was very impressive last season. Wasnt anything special against us the other night but I think he has good potential

Just hope we sign a powerful box to box no. 8

Somebody said Goram and that’s a fair shout. McCann hardly.

10 league medals, 3 Scottish cup medals and 5 league cup medals would suggest Ferguson is the last great Ranger player form a diddy team.

Sure but what about guys like Naismith and Boyd performed well for us and won multiple league titles during their stay? Not everyone we sign has to become a great.

Somebody said Goram and that’s a fair shout. McCann hardly.

10 league medals, 3 Scottish cup medals and 5 league cup medals would suggest Ferguson is the last great Ranger player form a diddy team.

in 12 years at Rangers Ferguson only played 236 games, McCann played half that in 5 years with us and won

Scottish Premier League: 1998–99, 1999–00, 2002–03
Scottish Cup: 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003
Scottish League Cup: 2002, 2003

So its actually not as outlandish a suggestion as you are making out

in 12 years at Rangers Ferguson only played 236 games, McCann played half that in 5 years with us and won

Scottish Premier League: 1998–99, 1999–00, 2002–03
Scottish Cup: 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003
Scottish League Cup: 2002, 2003

So its actually not as outlandish a suggestion as you are making out
10 league medals to three league medals would suggest I’m right.
After all football is all about winning medals.

Because they weren't willing to pay what 3m without his knee being cleaned up. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they go back in for him next summer or even in the winter once he's shown hes back up to fitness and showing no issues after his op.
So they didn’t buy him due to concerns about his knee. Glad we got there in the end.

I agree with you that could play a factor but your saying all this just because someone said he was boring on a podcast mate its just the guys opinion, if queenstreetloyal was an X factor judge turnbulls getting buzzed off regardless of the sob story or excuses being plead
What would your reaction be if it was your son or someone you knew?

What would your reaction be if it was your son or someone you knew?
obviously if someone said on a Internet forum that my son was boring on a podcast I would go to their door and see if they still have the energy to say it in person............ I'd laugh and do something more productive than argue and defend my son to randomers behind a screen for having an opinion it's the Internet for fs

I think there's one clear reason why Gerrard is not going for/interested in these players (Docherty, Turnbull etc), he knows they are not the type of player or level required to achieve what is expected from him in the job. Leave them to the smaller clubs.
Personally it actually fills me with confidence that he sees this and seems to have his own idea of what kind of players are needed.
3 games, 3 wins, 3 clean sheets, can't argue with results.
Gerrard is the most experienced football man in Scottish game right now, his is the opinion I'll be trusting.
“These types of players”. Scottish you mean? Great players seldom start out at big clubs. I don’t think Robertson and McGinn fit your theory. Turnbull will play EPL or similar level, no problem. He has a lot of similarities to Gary McAllister and he did more than ok.

David Turnbull is a better prospect than Lewis Ferguson is. Turnbull doesn't get the kudos on here from some quarters. Likely because he's not got the romance of the Ferguson name tag and I would imagine him nearly signing for the them, has likely coloured people's view a tad. Yet many clamour to bring up Ferguson's name when discussing potential midfield signings, despite him not being nearly as technically gifted as Turnbull.

I'd sign Turnbull if we get/got the opportunity to. Although, I do think that the time for that sort of speculation has died a death. He's a stick on to honour last summers deal with them or to do a McGinn and move down south.

If for some reason he did sign for us, he'd be a different option to any of the midfielders we currently have at the club and he's impressed me in the games I've saw him in (admittedly a small sample size). He seems quite cultured, although more than capable of standing his ground in the league and he scores goals. He'd be one for the future, that could still bring something to the table in the here and now.

Good player imo. Would probably do well in our team and like the post above, is something different to what we have.

Based on the near 100 first team games he played for them.

Turnbull has had one good season where he scored 15 goals.

He’s not coming in and improving our team he would be a risk and a project.

Turnbull scored almost twice as many goals (15 to 8) in that one season than Docherty did in those 100 plus first-team games for Accies and created seven goals to Docherty's 13.

Turnbull scored almost twice as many goals (15 to 8) in that one season than Docherty did in those 100 plus first-team games for Accies and created seven goals to Docherty's 13.

Yeah but as you said already they are different types of players.

Docherty has far more appearances at the same age and Turnbull has.

He’s potential and may or may not become a good player but we need finished articles.

Turnbull is a great prospect, know his family and him well.

That deal falling through last season saved his career as his knee would have given away if not spotted by the medical.

He reminds of me Armstrong but far more skilled.

We should break the bank to sign him tbh but he will go to them either this window or next summer sadly. They have first option on him from Motherwell and his old man's family support that mob though they are Motherwell fans themselves.

Yeah but as you said already they are different types of players.

Docherty has far more appearances at the same age and Turnbull has.

He’s potential and may or may not become a good player but we need finished articles.

Well done Docherty. He played more games for a poorer team. Should make him Rangers captain on the back of that.

Finished articles? Like Kent, Morelos, Hagi, Aribo, Katic? Those sort of finished articles?

Well done Docherty. He played more games for a poorer team. Should make him Rangers captain on the back of that.

Finished articles? Like Kent, Morelos, Hagi, Aribo, Katic? Those sort of finished articles?

To improve we need the finished article we have enough projects.

Not much between Hamilton and Motherwell all shite.

Turnbull is a completely different player to Docherty and Ferguson.

His touch, distribution, ability on the ball, quality in the final third is a lot better. He's got two feet and can create/score goals.

Ferguson and Docherty charge about the park, get in your face, work hard. Their ability on the ball and distribution isn't as strong.

Many games did Turnbull play in 2016/17? Pesky facts.

As he’s had 37 appearances all in apparently I would wager next to none hence my point Docherty had played well more than double the games .

If you’re happy that a guy with one good season and a bad night is taking us forward to win the league you have very different standards for me.

We need a established first team player with good experience mid to late 20s to improve our first team.

Back