There were Livingston fans there last night!

HamiltonJungleBear

Official Ticketer
Just watched the highlights and there were opposition fans last night. I was genuinely surprised. I’m in the Govan Rear and never heard or saw them.

I know this sounds like the sort of arrogant thing fans of big clubs get criticised for saying but, who actually supports Livingston?

This is a club that used to be called something completely different, twice, and have only existed in Livingston itself since 1995.

I’d imagine most folk in Livingston, as with the majority of places in West Lothian in general, support either Rangers or Celtic (with maybe a smattering of Hibs and Hearts fans too), so those denizens of the town that actually took the new club to heart - and I’ll stress I’m all in favour of that - must be a really small band indeed.

I know this sounds like the sort of arrogant thing fans of big clubs get criticised for saying but, who actually supports Livingston?

This is a club that used to be called something completely different, twice, and have only existed in Livingston itself since 1995.

I’d imagine most folk in Livingston, as with the majority of places in West Lothian in general, support either Rangers or Celtic (with maybe a smattering of Hibs and Hearts fans too), so those denizens of the town that actually took the new club to heart - and I’ll stress I’m all in favour of that - must be a really small band indeed.
The ones i know are generally OF fans that either changed over or are too tight arsed to travel, so go to Livi

I wasn’t having a go at them, fair play to the 65? Who turned up. I was just a bit surprised when I saw them on the highlights. However- they must have been our quietest even visitors.

People just get connected with local clubs for whatever reason.

Look at the supporting a team works in the USA. Franchises moving to different states regularly etc. If you build, move or rename a club you will always get at least some fans one way or another.

I wasn’t having a go at them, fair play to the 65? Who turned up. I was just a bit surprised when I saw them on the highlights. However- they must have been our quietest even visitors.
Off the back of a win against the beasts, in a quarter final and one of the first chances to go to an away match in over a year and a half and how far is Livingston from Ibrox? 40 minutes?

65 is pish.

I counted 56 just before kick off but the other nine could have been in the bog or buying a pie.

Pathetic support.
I did a count as well and got 55 B-)

Tbf like it’s said elsewhere it’s a strange situation which means they have a very little fanbase

Begs the question,Why do we allocate a section of our stadium that holds 800 to a traveling support of 60,
I know there was plenty of room last night but if it was an important game 3 o’clock on a Saturday we could do with using all seats we can not leaving them empty.

Begs the question,Why do we allocate a section of our stadium that holds 800 to a traveling support of 60,
I know there was plenty of room last night but if it was an important game 3 o’clock on a Saturday we could do with using all seats we can not leaving them empty.
Currently we aren’t allowing visiting fans for our Home League matches. Who knows for how long we will maintain that stance. Presumably until the Red Zone disappears - if it ever does.

The actual section holds around 1100

It is the club's decision to house the aways fans there

No aways fans yet for League games as we have STH in the area due to the red zone

Last edited:

We haven't left them empty for league games mate.

There are no travelling supporters for league games, as the away section is getting used by home fans.

I dont think Celtic are allowing Raith fans tonight are they? Surely cant use the red zone excuse when the stadium will be about a quarter full.

Imagine watching that turgid, time wasting pish on a weekly basis

They don't want to watch it, that's why the gloating from the likes of Motherwell fans and other Scottish football teams when they shithouse us and them is ultimately self harming. No-one wants to watch it, it's why the players our country produces are of a bad standard and it's why no-one wants to sponsor the League. The televised games are often on a horrendous plastic pitch with one of the teams playing the most depressing football imaginable.

Ferranti thistle originally a works team

Not convinced it was as many as 65 of them.

7715-B64-E-AFE1-42-A1-8-D8-E-CB32-B4-A2-EE8-B.jpg

Ferranti thistle originally a works team

I used to go and see them when they were Meadowbank Thistle, could walk to the stadium. Easy to get to, good fanzine, didnt care who won, and Vodka Vic Kasule, what a player.

Thought their kit last night was pretty good, except that the sponsor logo above the number on the back made it look like every player was called Tony Macaroni.

We haven't left them empty for league games mate.

There are no travelling supporters for league games, as the away section is getting used by home fans.
During the coronavirus restrictions of course but when normal circumstances resume do we resort back to giving clubs with small traveling support a 800 seat area for 100 fans,We’ve seen it in the past,There are clubs who’s fans fill they corner and I have no problem with that but we’ve all seen the Broomie Govan corner with a couple of dozen fans in it,

You're right, obviously a small support. Mostly Old Firm and quite a few Edinburgh club fans around Livi. But lots of people have moved into Livingston from other areas, England etc, over the past 20+ years, so you might get people who are looking for a team to support. Possibly also now a generation of adults who started supporting when they were kids and the team first moved to Livingston. They used to give tickets away to schools and it was cheap to get in for kids. I used to go a lot when they first moved to Livingston and were in the Third Division, there were a small group of guys who would come still with the Meadowbank gear on.

I work in Livingston, amongst my closer colleagues there’s Tim, Partick Thistle, Motherwell and Hearts fan (not all the same bloke before any smart arses chime in ), I’ve never met anyone who’s told me they’re a Livi fan.

They gave Celtic 3/4 of their ground last week there and still didn't fill the one stand they did have.

Quite an impressive feat for Celtic to still fck it up.

Not all season ticket holders signed up for games out with the league games covered by their season ticket - I reckon only between 25k & 30k are signed up out of 46k season ticket holders- if this was a league game instead of a cup game chances are there would not have been any Livingston supporters at the game

Some people like to support their local team whether or not they are successful.
Young kids in particular will always be impressed by a football ground.
Many of the non-football league teams in England have a reasonable following and get a few hundred to a couple of thousand dependent on the game they are playing.

Livingston beat Hibs 2-0 to lift the ( CIS ) League cup in 2004, how many other clubs in the current SPFL Premiership have won a trophy this century ?

Livingston, the club have also been shafted over the years by disreputable "custodians".

Certainly questionable appointments were made by those in charge, for example Richard Gough kept Livi in the Premier League at the end of 2005 season with a draw against Dundee in the last league match but Paul Lambert was appointed manager by the Livi management whilst Richard Gough was still in charge.

Let's not forget Dominic Keane who allegedly hoodwinked lottery winner John McGuinness into joining the club ( after McGuinness failed in his bid to join Celtc ). McGuinness was perhaps naive in signing up to a deal for which debts had to be paid by him personally.

Keane also allegedly swindled his brother.

Don't forget Pearse Flynn. When Livi were relegated from the Premier League, Flynn switched off the under soil heating because it wasn't a requirement for clubs below the Premier League and saved the club, and him, a load of money.

So maybe with that going on it was difficult for supporters to show a great deal of loyalty and you know that when some supporters are cheesed off and stop going to games it is hard to get them back.

But there are still a good few who have supported through the difficulties so I say good on the 40/50/60 who turned up and it is not surprising that they didn't make a lot of noise as there wasn't much to cheer about.

Some people like to support their local team whether or not they are successful.
Young kids in particular will always be impressed by a football ground.
Many of the non-football league teams in England have a reasonable following and get a few hundred to a couple of thousand dependent on the game they are playing.
When I lived in London I went to see Dulwich Hamlet regularly. Ten quid for adults, one quid for kids. Used to get crowds of 2-3000. Craft beer and pulled pork sandwiches inside the ground. It was a great day out.

Back