These short goal kicks

I think it was Wes was the last time it cost us but almost every GK played out from the back then was a nervy affair. It has and can invite pressure on usand shagger never seems 100% comfortable doing it. A fair few times tonight my heart was in my mouth when we were doing it. Understand why we do it but not always confident we can pull it off.

Inviting pressure is part of the tactic though. Every step that they take towards us, creates a gap that we can exploit.

I think boot it up park, hopefully not into touch, then win it and boot into box for a big guy to win and knock down to a wee nippy skillful guy to score. I am in the wrong business.

Its a good tactic but think we need more work on it. We look OK but not overly comfortable. I thought they looked really comfortable without doing too much but could get to the halfway line no problem.

I certainly don't want giving away possession, but I don't like the pass across the goal.

By all means, pass it short, but pass it wide and away from the goal area.

We have lost 4 goals all season, why not embrace our new found way of playing and have confidence in the team doing it.

I could see your point if it was causing us harm but its actually creating chances, space, forcing team to press high. It's doing way way more good than anything negative at all.

We as Rangers supporters just ain't used to watching us play the same style as some top teams in europe. It's time we get used to it.

I understand what they're trying to do mate but we nearly got caught out at times. I'm not saying don't ever play out the back but thought we were taking a bit of a risk

I get that mate but if we aren't taking a risk then it's a bit of a waste. I think we exploit the tactic perfectly. Other than McGregor managing to knock it out for a corner, I wasn't worried in the slightest tonight. We're all praising Kamara for his performance but it's tactics like this that help him. Waste of a jersey if the ball is just going over his head every time the striker looks at Goldson or McGregor.

Break the middle block, pull them out of shape and gave Kamara the half yard of space for him to be effective.

the risk is part of the tactic. If we played it short to Goldson who in turn humped it up the park as soon as the striker ran in his direction then McGregor might have as well have humped it up the park in the first place. The risk encourages them to step out of shape and it's about being quick enough to take advantage. They'll work on this every week in training.
There was two or three times tonight that tactic just lost us possession. And one slip up that costs a goal would not be good payback.

Get the baw in the boax!

Aw naw, no oor fuckin boax, their fuckin boax!!!!!!

There was two or three times tonight that tactic just lost us possession. And one slip up that costs a goal would not be good payback.

it hasn't cost us for years. Losing possession and losing a goal are totally different things.

The alternative is to punt it towards Kent and ask him to win a header.

Inviting pressure is part of the tactic though. Every step that they take towards us, creates a gap that we can exploit.
Completely understand it but I think it's not McGregors prefered method for taking a Goal Kick. I'm not saying I think we are instantly going to give the ball away doing it and yeah it's 50/50 for a 'boot it up the perk' but most of the time it goes McGregor - Goldson then he runs off with it.

Fine with that but tonight there was a few times it didn't come off, think it just needs a bit more work.

The alternative is hoofing the ball up the park and hoping one of our guys wins a header against a defender. We're a football team now, we can play better on the ground.

it hasn't cost us for years. Losing possession and losing a goal are totally different things.

The alternative is to punt it towards Kent and ask him to win a header.
I'm not for a minute suggesting we just punt it up the park. Just that we need to be a bit mote canny when playing it short.

That's a few games now we've been doing this, doesn't seem to matter that the opposition players are pressing and we still do it, looks like suicide to me and it's only a matter of time before it costs us.

We scored from one of these short kick outs this season.

Please explain the logic

Coaches talk about 'playing through the lines'. If you think the strikers (or front 3) are the first line, midfield are the next line, back 4 are the next line. To play through them you need to move them otherwise they'll step across and block the path. Play it short and what happens? The striker presses the pass, the midfield follow and straight away there's a chance to play through them as they aren't there to block the path. We need them to step onto us for it to work! We'll often keep the ball between Goldson and McGregor until they do press.

Get it right and you've got Tav on the ball beyond the midfield and front 3 in 1 pass.

I'm not for a minute suggesting we just punt it up the park. Just that we need to be a bit mote canny when playing it short.

it won't work every time and the times it doesn't usually involves a pass back to McGregor who'll in turn try to play through the lines through the air with a pass to Tav or Barisic but until the ball is rolled short, it's impossible to know when it'll work and when it won't.

If you pass it out from the goal kick, you will have possession 100% of the time. If you boot it up the park, it'll be about 50%.
If you are capable of passing the ball out it is a far better option, which is why every good team does it.

Goal of the season.

That goal is the perfect example.

Pass 1 - McGregor to Goldson encourages Babel to press forward, moving him out the way.
Pass 2 - through the forward line to Tav who takes Babel out the game.
Pass 3 - through the midfield line who have had to follow Babel's cue to press and are now out of shape.
Pass 4 - takes advantage of the space created by moving the midfield whilst also encouraging their midfield to press Hagi which opens the space for Kamara.
Pass 5 - Hagi to Kamara who now jumps into the acres of space created by moving Babel and the midfield out shape and off we go...

That goal is the perfect example.

Pass 1 - McGregor to Goldson encourages Babel to press forward, moving him out the way.
Pass 2 - through the forward line to Tav who takes Babel out the game.
Pass 3 - through the midfield line who have had to follow Babel's cue to press and are now out of shape.
Pass 4 - takes advantage of the space created by moving the midfield whilst also encouraging their midfield to press Hagi which opens the space for Kamara.
Pass 5 - Hagi to Kamara who now jumps into the acres of space created by moving Babel and the midfield out shape and off we go...

It's like a game of chess, knowing how our opponents react helps us to take advantage.

it won't work every time and the times it doesn't usually involves a pass back to McGregor who'll in turn try to play through the lines through the air with a pass to Tav or Barisic but until the ball is rolled short, it's impossible to know when it'll work and when it won't.
Well mate, our goals against stats speak for themselves so I’m not gonna argue it any more. But if it costs a goal you can put money on the roof coming down in here.

It's a reasonable tactic as it creates space up the park, but we need to know when to clear it and shagger isn't best equipped to play that way.

That being said, we've conceded 4 goals in 17 games and none have came from playing out from the back, so it's really not an issue at the moment
Not a fan of it,but I noticed McGregor changed it with about 10 minutes to go,and went long

Reactions: TQ3
You'd rather mcgregor just booted it into a sea of bodies dont you?

"Get it up the perk"
Speaking to my mate about this. We are conditioned as a support in general to demand that we get it out of our area and up the park. The theory I believe is that this increases the risk of turning over the ball and lose possession which is seen as a huge negative. You keep the ball. If you don't have it, you work extremely hard to get it back. You hear the players talking about this in interviews. Focus is on working hard when out of possession to get it back. You also drag the opposition out and create space elsewhere which our rapid players can exploit

I do wonder if we as a support would have hampered the development of the system we are playing had we been in our seats this season, roaring to stop mucking about at the back and get it up the park

There are times to do it and times to clear your lines. A couple of times tonight Lech were right on top of it and it was nervy.
If you think that was nervy,Benfica press much better than the Polish,at times they have four players spaced along the box to stop the short balls forcing it long,even when they don't have the ball they will press our players very quick to win it back. Tonight done my head in the amount of times the Polish players came forward with the ball and our own players backed off them or never closed them down,do that against Benfica's speed,quick passing and movement and we'll get punished.

It isn't really, we gave up possession every time we did it tonight.
Not really tbf The alternative is to give the ball away far more often. I’m sure Steven Gerrard, Gary mccallister and numerous professional football coaches know their stuff. Yes the odd goal will be gave away cheaply over the season but we have conceded 4 in about 15 games so trying to keep the ball first and foremost is working rather well mate. We would not be in same position by lumping it so chill out mate

That's a few games now we've been doing this, doesn't seem to matter that the opposition players are pressing and we still do it, looks like suicide to me and it's only a matter of time before it costs us.
Lets just punt it up the park and hope we win it?

I don't like it because it makes my heart skip a wee beat. But I'm a shitebag and know %^*& all about football, tactics, shape and movement compared to Mr Gerrard and Mr Beale.

The pitch played slow tonight and didn't do us any favours. That said, we were off it for a while and still won. I'll take that.

It didn't do us any favours tbh as 50% of the time we ended up having to launch the ball aimlessly under pressure up the pitch.

Some teams look comfortable playing that way - we aren't one of them and it just invites pressure.
As opposed to punting the ball up 100% which would turn into more ball losses?

Time for some to accept the game’s moved on and the players and coaching staff aren’t bothered about your blood pressure right now.

Look at how many goals we’ve scored be conceded. I don’t think it could be any more obvious that it helps us

Not really got an issue with it. It's the way football is now, the majority of games I watch it happens.

People complain when that 1 time it doesn't work but ignore the hundreds of times we keep and move the ball well. We've been doing it all season and today is the only game I can remember it being a bit iffy.

Just playing it long to lose the ball and end up on the defensive doesn't really make sense.

I quite like it. It shows a confidence in themselves and each other. It brings the other team on to us and creates space for us to play (once we beat the press). We scored an absolutely phenomenal goal v Galatasaray by playing it out from the back just like that

It's a reasonable tactic as it creates space up the park, but we need to know when to clear it and shagger isn't best equipped to play that way.

That being said, we've conceded 4 goals in 17 games and none have came from playing out from the back, so it's really not an issue at the moment
Address it before it develops in to an issue.

Yes it will cost you from time to time but our goal against gala is exactly the reason we do it. If you beat the first line of the press then the opposition team are generally under pressure. The main point of playing out from the back is to draw the opponents onto you further up the pitch leaving you more space to work in the the attacking 3rd

I don’t think there is nothing wrong with it.

When you just batter the ball up the park it becomes 50/50 whether you manage to regain possession.

Back