These short goal kicks

I assumed that there was nobody to win the ball last night if we went long so we kept doing it. They’re not good to watch. We gave away a corner from one!!

Aye just punt it up the park. That will show the opposition who’s boss.
No one said punt it up the park.
You can still play out from the back without passing the ball to Goldson inside our 6 yd box with opposing players bearing down on him.

Our defensive record would suggest it's not an issue at all although by law of averages we're bound to concede from it at some point and this place will errupt!

We are so good in possession that if we do a short goal kick, it guarantees us possession whereas a long goal kick is usually 50:50

One of the few positives of there being no fans is that the players can comfortably play out from the back without guys in the stand having a heart attack. We can also keep playing our own game if we haven’t scored after 15 minutes without people screaming to “get it in the boax”

Playing out from the back is the way football is played now. However, I agree we don’t need to do it every single time we have a goal kick.

As with everything, there’s a time and a place for it. Sometimes when the oppositions high press is good then the “correct” ball is over the top of the press.

There were a couple of times last night where McGregor played it to Goldson who passed it on to Tav who then played it back to Goldson who just blootered it up the park. If Goldson is going to do that after 3 passes, we may as well just let the goalkeeper do it from the goal kick.

It's about having confidence in your players .
Speaking to my mate about this. We are conditioned as a support in general to demand that we get it out of our area and up the park. The theory I believe is that this increases the risk of turning over the ball and lose possession which is seen as a huge negative. You keep the ball. If you don't have it, you work extremely hard to get it back. You hear the players talking about this in interviews. Focus is on working hard when out of possession to get it back. You also drag the opposition out and create space elsewhere which our rapid players can exploit

I do wonder if we as a support would have hampered the development of the system we are playing had we been in our seats this season, roaring to stop mucking about at the back and get it up the park
No doubt about it , fans in their seats moaning about playing short balls across the box would transmit to the players. We as a support need to embrace it even when i we conceed goals from it as in the long run it can only help us improve as a team.

There are times to do it and times to clear your lines. A couple of times tonight Lech were right on top of it and it was nervy.
I agree. Its a good tactic but not all the time. We seem to want to do it every time. I fear a better team pinning us in and we'll give away a silly goal at some stage. Probably in an important match. A few times we played short , got put under pressure then hoofed it up the park in any direction.

If we adopt this tactic, we have possession of the ball, it either leads to an attacking play or we have to launch it which then becomes a 50/50 (nothing ventured, nothing gained) if Shagger launches it, it's a straight 50/50 for possession. The more we do it, the better it will become.

Absolute nonsense

Well no doubt you will have the details to hand as to how it got us up the park and into a bit of space regularly?? Nah don't even bother ...

It usually ended up with Goldson having to launch it to the touchline for a 50/50 header at best.

That's a few games now we've been doing this, doesn't seem to matter that the opposition players are pressing and we still do it, looks like suicide to me and it's only a matter of time before it costs us.
Rips my knitting but I'm an old bassa.

You can still play out from the back without passing the ball to Goldson inside our 6 yd box with opposing players bearing down on him.
We have played this way all season and it is working. I don’t see were the fear is coming from. It’s modern football.

There was one point last night where somebody played it to Balogun across the box, McGregor wasnt even in goals and time stood still. Almost thought the ball was going to stick in the grass but it somehow didnt and we got it away.

As somebody said earlier its a tactic to get them pressing higher up, lose their shape so we can capitalise on it. A lot of method to the madness nowadays which I like.

I see the Rob Kiernan effect is still alive. Goldson is a much better footballer, and can shift the ball quicker/better this season, with the team shape being honed to support him. Tav is there, and Arfield or Davis come to offer an option, and the forward line are often one on one with a long ball, with Kent being tight to the line waiting on the switch.
For me, it has been the key to pulling the “low block.” out of shape. Just look at JDs goal v Livi and how high their line was, the whole team had been drawn in.
I thought the Poles were the nippiest opponents we have faced in the press, and got close a couple of times, but we still got a clean sheet.

It’s modern football and it covers up probably McGregor’s biggest weakness, long kicks.

I thought Poznan played it well from the back. They looked very comfortable when we applied pressure. We looked a little nervy at times, but it was just one of those games. The higher quality team you play the better at dealing with it they will be. It's how the gaffer wants to play, so it's what we do, end of.

It used to make me nervous, but I enjoy seeing how composed we are at building from the back, and even looking for a pass when natural instinct would be to hoof it into row z. It’ll probably go wrong once or twice and people will moan, but see more good than bad at the moment.

Think it works well for us as we have defenders who are comfortable with the ball, a keeper who kicking has never been a strong point and a front line who aren’t exactly known for their physical presence.

Just wish they would vary a bit more. It seems to be McGregor 5 yard pass to Goldson, who then slides it 25 yards wide right to Tav. I noticed that Lech seemed to do the exact same move with most of their bye kicks.

That's a few games now we've been doing this, doesn't seem to matter that the opposition players are pressing and we still do it, looks like suicide to me and it's only a matter of time before it costs us.

It's the perfect way to play through a high press and we are very good at it.

We are a possession retaining side and it's one of our greatest strengths.

We won't be changing it.

I like it, and it is far better for us footballing/opportunity wise.

The question should be, do we have the keeper to perform the short kicks.

McGregor looks so uncomfortable with it.

It didn't do us any favours tbh as 50% of the time we ended up having to launch the ball aimlessly under pressure up the pitch.

Some teams look comfortable playing that way - we aren't one of them and it just invites pressure.
So that implies that 50% of the time we never launched it and kept possession.

How many times would we keep.posession if we launched it every time?

We won't be changing it.
I was surprised when Gerrard arrived that he was'nt completely wedded to the play absolutely everything out. McGregor still largely kicked long towards either flank on many occasions. That we are now doing this so much more is due to the fact that 2 years down the line we are a far superior side both from a personnel and coached perspective.

I was surprised when Gerrard arrived that he was'nt completely wedded to the play absolutely everything out. McGregor still largely kicked long towards either flank on many occasions. That we are now doing this so much more is due to the fact that 2 years down the line we are a far superior side both from a personnel and coached perspective.

Spot on mate.

We won't be changing it.
Tavs goal against Galatasaray was the best visual explanation of why we do this. We pulled virtually their entire team out of position and hit them on the counter.

Poznań looked like a Rangers team of a couple of years ago. I think that’s why we needed to be patient. They matched us in many ways but didn’t have the quality of Barisic and Alfie.

It's a reasonable tactic as it creates space up the park, but we need to know when to clear it and shagger isn't best equipped to play that way.

That being said, we've conceded 4 goals in 17 games and none have came from playing out from the back, so it's really not an issue at the moment
Taking a brief moment away from the thread subject to inform you that your username is hilarious

There was a thread in here the other day with a link to some attacking statistics, which basically said that the most dangerous thing you could do in Scottish football was let Rangers start with the ball in our own half and make four or more passes.

It’s true that mcgregor isn’t the ideal keeper to play these short passes , McLaughlin looked far more comfortable with it . However as long as it’s kept simple we shouldn’t have too many problems with it . In my time watching Rangers everyone seems to agree big Waterhouse was our best keeper with the ball at his feet but even he made a couple of howlers . Nobody is flawless .

Every te

Every team does it. The alternative is punting it up the park, and losing it 9 times out of 10. Also, we have had 14 clean sheets out of 17. Literally, it hasn't cost us at all.
It's a relatively new tactic in the game and it'll take time for fans to adjust.
The "get it up the fuckin park" guys (we've all been there) will take a little longer to accept it than most.

Where do you pass it then? The opposition can’t come into the box until the ball is played. If Goldson is outside the box they can get closer to him. If you notice mcgregor passes the ball back to Goldson making the most of the space.

We do it because it invites teams forward to press and creates space further up the pitch. We are confident that our players are good enough on the ball to pass it around the opposition.

If you punt a goal kick up then their forwards retreat back towards halfway line, midfield will be there too and their defence on 18 yard line. By playing from the back we are isolating their forwards, midfield and defence from each other by inviting them forward and using the whole pitch. It's a risk / reward situation and we'll make mistakes at times.

We are on our best run of form since the days of Walter Smith, unbeaten domestically and in Europe, yet some are still moaning. Cheer up OP, enjoy our form while it lasts.

Yeah let’s punt it up the park just in case. Forget the success it’s had.

Exactly.

If we create 5 goals by doing it and "make an arse of it" and lose 1 then it's still successfull.

Cant believe this is a worry for folk, we are playing decent football, ball from out the back on the deck. Total football yet some want to revert back to hoof and run from the back. Mental.

Back