They have signed James Mccarthy

Not a patch on Davis
They keeping saying “he could be our Davis”. Davis had made at least 25 appearances for 15 consecutive seasons before we signed him. The vast majority were 40+ appearances.

They are being wildly optimistic if they think McCarthy can perform the way Davis has well into his 30s.

They keeping saying “he could be our Davis”. Davis had made at least 25 appearances for 15 consecutive seasons before we signed him. The vast majority were 40+ appearances.

They are being wildly optimistic if they think McCarthy can perform the way Davis has well into his 30s.
No idea why anyone would compare those two players, other than by age.

Different types of midfielder.

Bodes well for us in the future that they’re running around trying to patch things up as quickly as possible, throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

If I was them I’d be bringing in young upcoming players with bags of potential, yeah maybe they’d need to accept that they don’t win the league for a couple of years, but they could build for the future, have good young players with tons of appearances etc.

For example who does this guy replace? Turnbull who’s supposed to be the next big thing? Soro who is supposed to be the same? McGregor the captain? The only way this guy plays is by taking the place of a younger player with more potential. By the time they start to resemble a team playing decent football these 2 new signing will be retiring, and they’re left with what?

If he can stay fit he’s a decent signing for them but there is a high potential for him being their Joey Barton.

Thicko Kerrydale Crash Barrier said:
Great signing.

Davis has obviously been great for the Huns but McCarthy is twice the player he's ever been and 8 years younger. Exactly what we've been missing for a couple of years now.

Where do you even start with absolute jobby like this :))

I'll be honest, I don't completely understand what they do personnel wise, but isn't the current "strength" of their team the midfield? Surely if they're adding signings, it should be in defense or up front for when Edouard inevitably leaves.

Adding depth, when they have huge gaps in their defense. Or is this in-place of Turnbull, now that's he's not winning Ballon D'Or?

Hopefully one of the farmers in one of the teams tests his injuries and sees him sidelined for the rest of the season

Yaaaaaassssss!!! They’ve actually gone and signed Kranjcar AND Duffy in the same player :))

I'll be honest, I don't completely understand what they do personnel wise, but isn't the current "strength" of their team the midfield? Surely if they're adding signings, it should be in defense or up front for when Edouard inevitably leaves.

Adding depth, when they have huge gaps in their defense. Or is this in-place of Turnbull, now that's he's not winning Ballon D'Or?
Their midfield is actually shocking. McGregor has been doing the job of three. Turnbull and Soro are pish

So that’s two ageing, once good but now past it and overpriced players they have signed on long term contracts.

At least with Joe Hart they desperately needed a goalkeeper so that makes a bit of sense but isn’t midfield supposed to be their strongest position?

They are both marked improvements from what they already have ..time will tell both defo improve them imo

Hart on his insta with the “Let’s go” caption. This alongside his congrats to us after we won the league will surely go down well with the east end natives.

McCarthy signing is just another of those grandstanding signings to keep the faux Irish amongst them happy.

In summary, 2 Shitey signings that won’t change them one bit, and they certainly won’t stop our run to the title this season.

McCarthy will be the modern generations Roy Keane signing, ticks all the boxes for them but in reality he’s a jobber midfielder who happens to play for Ireland at this stage in his career/
Mate can you post the photo of him congratulating Gerrard?

I know his injury record is poor, but they seem to have cleared up since 2018. What is the reason for his drop in games since then? (16 games last season). Just shite?

20/21Hamstring InjuryOct 10, 2020Nov 6, 202027 days3Crystal Palace
17/18Tibia and Fibula FractureJan 20, 2018Jan 5, 2019350 days39Everton FC
17/18Hamstring InjuryOct 25, 2017Dec 26, 201762 days15Everton FC
17/18Knee InjuryJul 26, 2017Oct 24, 201790 days17Everton FC
16/17Hamstring InjuryMar 24, 2017Jun 30, 201798 days9Everton FC
16/17Hamstring InjuryDec 19, 2016Jan 7, 201719 days5Everton FC
16/17Groin StrainAug 23, 2016Oct 5, 201643 days7Everton FC
14/15Hamstring InjuryDec 28, 2014Jan 31, 201534 days7Everton FC
14/15Hamstring InjuryNov 9, 2014Dec 6, 201427 days6Everton FC
10/11Unknown InjuryOct 23, 2010Jan 10, 201179 days16Wigan Athletic

Typical Desmond.

If in trouble throw them a plastic Paddy and a big name from the past.

They might get lucky and they might improve them. History shows though this strategy from them has had very few successes in the years preceding.

Plus why not even give a two year deal max to McCarthy and Hart? Now if it doesn’t work they have landed themselves with lengthy deals to pay. When it was hardly likely at the stages they are at in their careers they were going to have to worry about them leaving for nothing if it works.

Great stuff!

Typical Desmond.

If in trouble throw them a plastic Paddy and a big name from the past.

They might get lucky and they might improve them. History shows though this strategy from them has had very few successes in the years preceding.

Plus why not even give a two year deal max to McCarthy and Hart? Now if it doesn’t work they have landed themselves with lengthy deals to pay. When it was hardly likely at the stages they are at in their careers they were going to have to worry about them leaving for nothing if it works.

Great stuff!
Tbf to them (though I really don’t want to be) re the length of contract they probably wouldn’t have signed for only two years. Comfortable large wages for 4 years regardless of injury or performance, however, will suit some players just fine.

I know his injury record is poor, but they seem to have cleared up since 2018. What is the reason for his drop in games since then? (16 games last season). Just shite?

20/21Hamstring InjuryOct 10, 2020Nov 6, 202027 days3Crystal Palace
17/18Tibia and Fibula FractureJan 20, 2018Jan 5, 2019350 days39Everton FC
17/18Hamstring InjuryOct 25, 2017Dec 26, 201762 days15Everton FC
17/18Knee InjuryJul 26, 2017Oct 24, 201790 days17Everton FC
16/17Hamstring InjuryMar 24, 2017Jun 30, 201798 days9Everton FC
16/17Hamstring InjuryDec 19, 2016Jan 7, 201719 days5Everton FC
16/17Groin StrainAug 23, 2016Oct 5, 201643 days7Everton FC
14/15Hamstring InjuryDec 28, 2014Jan 31, 201534 days7Everton FC
14/15Hamstring InjuryNov 9, 2014Dec 6, 201427 days6Everton FC
10/11Unknown InjuryOct 23, 2010Jan 10, 201179 days16Wigan Athletic
Fitness. He has only completed 90 minutes 21 times in the last 5 years.

Tbf to them (though I really don’t want to be) re the length of contract they probably wouldn’t have signed for only two years. Comfortable large wages for 4 years regardless of injury or performance, however, will suit some players just fine.
It definitely suits the players.

I’m just not sure anyone else was beating down their door to sign them.

It just smacks of panic, and McKay doing a Martin Bain.

Absolutely fantastic news. Red meat for the sizeable lumpen element of their support and lots of tedious melodrama around him when it suits them (the crowds are saying bad words about poor James, ignore yet more dropped points away from home).

Add Hart and you've got the has been and the never was. Superb stuff.

Back