They have signed James Mccarthy

McCarthy and Hart must be on massive wages in Scottish football terms which will no doubt be financed by the sale of French diddy in the next few weeks and leave them weaker.

On August 31st at 11:01 pm Edouard will be worth zero to them so they need to punt him soon. Edouard, Elyounoussi , Ajer and Christie who will probably leave as well are better than what they've brought in so far.

Amazingly they’ve signed a midfielder whose played 59 games in 4 seasons

and a goalkeeper whose played 57 games in 4 seasons

most of our team played 40+ games last season

Hes clearly not the player he was when younger but equally hes an upgrade on the likes of Turnbull or whatever joker theyre trying to convince us can make the step from the youth team.

The repeat of 'hes only played X in X' can be very misleading as there are other factors at large than just injuries. EPL squads are huge and managers under massive pressure, dont forget our own Steven Davis barely kicked a ball for Southampton over 2 seasons just because the manager didnt fancy him for the team.

Speaking of which I cant help but think the reason theyve given him a multi year deal like this, madness really, is theyve looked at how amazing Davis has been and thought we can do that as well. Problem for them is JM is no SD under any circs.

McCarthy and Hart must be on massive wages in Scottish football terms which will no doubt be financed by the sale of French diddy in the next few weeks and leave them weaker.

On August 31st at 11:01 pm Edouard will be worth zero to them so they need to punt him soon. Edouard, Elyounoussi , Ajer and Christie who will probably leave as well are better than what they've brought in so far.
Both have already left. Elyounoussi was a loan and ajer left last week.

Had a look last night and the minutes McCarthy has played in the league over the last 5 seasons equates to 7 full league games a season so he’s been on the pitch for less than 20% of the games. If they keep him fit he’s a good player but how often do we hear that? How’s his body going to cope with the demands of 2 games per week when he rarely managed 1 in last 5 years?

I can’t believe they’ve given him a 4 year contract, especially considering that he’ll be 31 in November. It feels like a panic signing to fill gaps that could end costing a fortune.

Had a look last night and the minutes McCarthy has played in the league over the last 5 seasons equates to 7 full league games a season so he’s been on the pitch for less than 20% of the games. If they keep him fit he’s a good player but how often do we hear that? How’s his body going to cope with the demands of 2 games per week when he rarely managed 1 in last 5 years?

I can’t believe they’ve given him a 4 year contract, especially considering that he’ll be 31 in November. It feels like a panic signing to fill gaps that could end costing a fortune.
What one of their midfield sits out to accommodate him. Turnbull Soro Macgregor Forrest? A downgrade in terms of energy.

What one of their midfield sits out to accommodate him. Turnbull Soro Macgregor Forrest? A downgrade in terms of energy.
Yeah, I presume it’ll be Soro. McCarthy is a better player but not as mobile or strong defensively so it’ll be interesting to see the balance.

That's a crazy stat if true

Unsure where this injury prone suggestion is coming from. He missed 3 games last season through injury. He didn't get a huge number of games, but played around 40 times the season before for Crystal Palace.

I actually think, unfortunately, that's a decent signing for them.

According to Wikipedia he has played 72 games in the last 5 seasons. Whether that is due to injuries or just not being selected, its still a pretty poor return.

Hes clearly not the player he was when younger but equally hes an upgrade on the likes of Turnbull or whatever joker theyre trying to convince us can make the step from the youth team.

The repeat of 'hes only played X in X' can be very misleading as there are other factors at large than just injuries. EPL squads are huge and managers under massive pressure, dont forget our own Steven Davis barely kicked a ball for Southampton over 2 seasons just because the manager didnt fancy him for the team.

Speaking of which I cant help but think the reason theyve given him a multi year deal like this, madness really, is theyve looked at how amazing Davis has been and thought we can do that as well. Problem for them is JM is no SD under any circs.
Davie Provo was on the radio last night saying McCarthy was only signing if they gave him a 4 year deal
So he's looking after himself

Davie Provo was on the radio last night saying McCarthy was only signing if they gave him a 4 year deal
Of course he is, I’ve actually no problem with that, you have to look out for yourself.

but his terrible return in terms of games is very telling for me though

I suppose if he was under contract hed cost a £ew so that saving has likely bumped his wages a little bit. Actually its a decent signing for them, especially considering how bad their midfield is but its not a game changer vs us over a season.

According to Wikipedia he has played 72 games in the last 5 seasons. Whether that is due to injuries or just not being selected, its still a pretty poor return.

In the league over the last 5 seasons he’s played 3,221 minutes out of a possible 17,100. It’s combination of injury and not being selected that caused that.

Madness for me them signing McCarthy on a 4 year deal

30 year old that has hardly played in the last few seasons should send out a warning signal- avoid at all costs. Disaster waiting to happen

McCarthy of 6 or 7 years ago was a decent player.
McCarthy now? Injury prone apparently, and the Scottish game is not really the place that ageing, injury prone midfielders do well.
4 year contract would suggest to me they had to take the hit to even attract him.

Hart was a decent keeper. Is he now? Who knows, but fleeting cup appearances the last few years suggests not. . Not one to be worried about.

Angeball as its dubbed is about playing pressing football up the park. Can an injury prone McCarthy offer the cover thst system needs? Because they were wide open in the channels against Hearts, and thats a lot of ground to cover.

Can Hart play as a sweeper keeper? Its debatable he can even still play as a keeper!

Ticks all the boxes.
Will they never learn after Duffy.
As much as i want Rangers fans playing for our club, if their not good enough then it cannot be.
Unfortunatley thats why murphy, dorrans, halliday etc had to move on.

It means he's guaranteed to get money for 4 years sitting on sick bay or not. Shrewd thinking and tells me they didn't do a risk analysis matrix on him or they did and chucked it in the bin

This is exactly the type of signings we would have made a few seasons ago.

I'm sure both will be better than what they have but that's not really a barometer for being a good player.

We will see what happens but they will need a lot more than that.

I actually rate him as a player. Though obviously a bit of a risky signing considering how little football he's played in the last few years.

Surprised they aren't concentrating on their defence though. Their midfield and attackers are good enough to score against most SPFL teams. Their defence isn't good enough to keep clean sheets against anyone. If they don't sign 2 fullbacks and a centre half doesn't really matter who they have in midfield.

I actually rate him as a player. Though obviously a bit of a risky signing considering how little football he's played in the last few years.

Surprised they aren't concentrating on their defence though. Their midfield and attackers are good enough to score against most SPFL teams. Their defence isn't good enough to keep clean sheets against anyone. If they don't sign 2 fullbacks and a centre half doesn't really matter who they have in midfield.

He is/was a good player, but he’s been available on a free since January and no-one, not even Celtic bit, until they got desperate, you wonder how long until he’s match fit given how little he has played.

Worth noting that he's been playing mens football since the age of 15...so in football terms he's quite old even though he's 'only' 30. Never fit either.

So much for Ange wanting his team to be energetic with high pressing and playing with high intensity.

Their strongest midfield now contains McCarthy and Turnball.

So much for Ange wanting his team to be energetic with high pressing and playing with high intensity.

Their strongest midfield now contains McCarthy and Turnball.
And Hart isn't a keeper who is good with the ball at his feet, either he is abandoning his system he said he would never change or these signings are being forced on him.

Worth noting that he's been playing mens football since the age of 15...so in football terms he's quite old even though he's 'only' 30. Never fit either.
Good point. Rooney and Owen both broke into first team at similar ages and proved to be world class but bodies couldn’t cope. Both were pretty much washed up by 31/32 and surviving purely on reputation alone.

Back