They Played At Ibrox: Gianluigi Buffon

Craigie

WE will be taking a look at some of the great names from our many opponents to have graced the pitch at Ibrox Stadium.

We begin with Gianluigi Buffon, the legendary Italian goalkeeper who played twice for Parma here in Govan in 1998 and 1999.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/they-played-at-Ibrox-gianluigi-buffon/

Apologies if previously posted. Don't recall Amoruso being sent off in Parma - though I'd had a few shandies by the time I got to the ground.

When we played Dynamo Kiev at Ibrox in 1987, Kiev had TWO former European players of the year in their team. Blokhin and Belanov

There’s your dinner Gigi!

2ii7iqe.jpg.b748e888fa0814aa56be78626626d5fd.jpg

I'm sure he was highly complimentary about the stadium and the atmosphere created by the bears that night, may have been sometime after that game when asked about stadiums, fans etc in general. Which would no doubt have upset Love Us love Us FC

I'm sure he was highly complimentary about the stadium and the atmosphere created by the bears that night, may have been sometime after that game when asked about stadiums, fans etc in general. Which would no doubt have upset Love Us love Us FC
Gianluigi Buffon rates Ibrox as one of the best grounds at which he has ever played.

The Juventus and Italy icon faced Rangers in successive seasons during his time at Parma in the 1990s.

Buffon follows fellow World Cup winner in saluting the famous stadium’s incredible atmosphere after Germany’s Sami Khedira.

The legendary goalkeepr played in Govan in a 1-1 UEFA Cup draw in 1998 and then returned to Glasgow’s south side for a 2-0 defeat in the 1999 Champions League qualifiers.

Being asked in a fans’ Q&A what his favourite stadia are, the Paris Saint-Germain star said: “There are a lot of them. Definitely Anfield in Liverpool.

“That was one of the few stadiums – along with Rangers in Glasgow and Fenerbahce in Istanbul – where there was such commotion for the first 15-20 minutes that I had trouble concentrating.”

Buffon, 40, followed Khedira in paying homage to the Ibrox atmosphere.

The Germany midfielder savoured deafening noise at Rangers’ ground when playing for Stuttgart in a Champions League clash 10 years ago.

He said last year: "I knew all about the atmosphere in the Bundesliga, but not the Champions League. It was a totally different level.

"My first game was away at Glasgow Rangers and it was phenomenal.

"To this day it was the game with the most impressive atmosphere I have ever experienced.

"I immediately thought...'this is very special indeed.'

"It had a unique atmosphere, you feel like the whole world is watching and I have loved the competition ever since."

Gianluigi Buffon rates Ibrox as one of the best grounds at which he has ever played.

The Juventus and Italy icon faced Rangers in successive seasons during his time at Parma in the 1990s.

Buffon follows fellow World Cup winner in saluting the famous stadium’s incredible atmosphere after Germany’s Sami Khedira.

The legendary goalkeepr played in Govan in a 1-1 UEFA Cup draw in 1998 and then returned to Glasgow’s south side for a 2-0 defeat in the 1999 Champions League qualifiers.

Being asked in a fans’ Q&A what his favourite stadia are, the Paris Saint-Germain star said: “There are a lot of them. Definitely Anfield in Liverpool.

“That was one of the few stadiums – along with Rangers in Glasgow and Fenerbahce in Istanbul – where there was such commotion for the first 15-20 minutes that I had trouble concentrating.”

Buffon, 40, followed Khedira in paying homage to the Ibrox atmosphere.

The Germany midfielder savoured deafening noise at Rangers’ ground when playing for Stuttgart in a Champions League clash 10 years ago.

He said last year: "I knew all about the atmosphere in the Bundesliga, but not the Champions League. It was a totally different level.

"My first game was away at Glasgow Rangers and it was phenomenal.

"To this day it was the game with the most impressive atmosphere I have ever experienced.

"I immediately thought...'this is very special indeed.'

"It had a unique atmosphere, you feel like the whole world is watching and I have loved the competition ever since."
I love Khedira’s quote. This guy was the pivot for Real Madrid and World Cup winner.
A great first choice to highlight, Buffon was a top class goalie, without equal in Italy, and very few across Europe to even get near him, never lasted as long as him at the top level.

I love Khedira’s quote. This guy was the pivot for Real Madrid and World Cup winner.
A great first choice to highlight, Buffon was a top class goalie, without equal in Italy, and very few across Europe to even get near him, never lasted as long as him at the top level.

Buffon is the best keep in my lifetime for me. Amazing keeper.

Some cracking players have graced the Ibrox pitch Robert Prosinecki being one ,the red star team who beat us went on to lift the european cup that season

We talk about Goram, Woods, Klos and dare I say it the great Pat Jennings for me the Greatest Ever is
Buffon. Amazing.

It was, though he wasn't sent off for it. Porrini had a couple of moments of madness, if drunken memory serves, for his sending off.
Yeah the foul as he was chasing back done him......we would’ve won that match if Porrini wasn’t sent packing!

There’s your dinner Gigi!

2ii7iqe.jpg.b748e888fa0814aa56be78626626d5fd.jpg
That's actually a Nike Rangers shirt he's wearing there. Not quite sure of the story behind it, but it was one of the Rangers GK tops with patches or transfers over the branding and the NTL logo.

As mentioned, that night was probably the loudest I ever heard Ibrox. It was the same day as the total solar eclipse too.

Some cracking players have graced the Ibrox pitch Robert Prosinecki being one ,the red star team who beat us went on to lift the european cup that season
Alfredo Di Stefano and Ferenc Puskas of Real Madrid should be worth a mention.

Back