They really played for Rangers!?

Est1872

Official Ticketer
The individuals in this XI made 10 or less appearances for Rangers. Could you add to the squad using the same criteria?

Thomas Mhyre

Jerome Bonnissel
Philippe Senderos
Tero Penttila
Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan

Jerome Rothen
Dragan Mladenovic
Fabrice Fernandes
Mervan Celik

Marcus Gayle
Francis Jeffers

Some of the players above are commonly mentioned when discussing flops, so not forgotten as such. However, some of them had real blink and you'll miss it moments in a Rangers jersey and rarely get a mention.

I've said before on here but I really thought that signings like Rodriguez, Pierre-Fanfan and Hemdani would be excellent and help us kick on a bit in Europe. Pretty sure all three had been captains at some point in their career in what you'd have called a far tougher league.

I've said before on here but I really thought that signings like Rodriguez, Pierre-Fanfan and Hemdani would be excellent and help us kick on a bit in Europe. Pretty sure all three had been captains at some point in their career in what you'd have called a far tougher league.
Signing the captains of Marseille, Monaco and PSG in one summer.

How the game has changed. Doesnt really feel like all that long ago as well.

Don't think its fair to lump Hemdani in with those two. He maybe wasn't as good as we might have hoped, but he was excellent in Europe under Walter

Hemdani was excellent for us.

I meant that I expected all three to make massive contributions.
Fair enough. As you say, they all had pedigree playing for good sides who were regularly playing in Europe. Fanfan was awful. If I was being kind, I might let Rodriguez off and say he just wasn't suited to Scottish football, but that's probably a bit of a cop out.

I never understood what happened with Pierre-Fanfan. He started the season, looked okay but unspectacular and then got binned to about 8th choice. As far as I remember he never got picked again once he was out the team whilst loads of guys who had nowhere near his pedigree got shuttled back in plenty of times having been dropped. Got the impression Eck never wanted him in the first place.

I never understood what happened with Pierre-Fanfan. He started the season, looked okay but unspectacular and then got binned to about 8th choice. As far as I remember he never got picked again once he was out the team whilst loads of guys who had nowhere near his pedigree got shuttled back in plenty of times having been dropped. Got the impression Eck never wanted him in the first place.

Was he not supposed to be a centre back and we were playing him at right back or vice versa?

Was he not supposed to be a centre back and we were playing him at right back or vice versa?

In my mind he’s just morphed into a less smiling Marvin Andrews.

I remember a win it and clear it central defender and no passing ability. No real class but not a disaster either.

An Andy Gray and Trevor Francis strike force in the early 80’s would’ve had us competing in Europe. However, by the time they both arrived at Ibrox they were well past their best.

Hemdani surely doesn’t come into this category.

Back