They really played for Rangers!?

Stanley Matthews.

Edit - too late!

Was surprised first time I learned RS McColl played for Rangers as well but I think he made more than ten appearances.

Seb Faure.

My abiding memory of him now is the interview where he talks about Ally encouraging players to boot the ball at his arse as “training” whilst he was manager.

Positive he scored in a league cup game against a lower league team
He scored a few in the cup, to be fair.
I couldn't remember any but checked it out and he scored two League Cup goals against Forfar and St Johnstone.

I was pleased about him signing as he had been a tasty player in England but it was quickly clear his legs had gone. I'm sure he did the decent thing and cancelled his contract early.

Did the useless Kevin Kyle make more than 10 appearances for us? If not, he should be in the list

I couldn't remember any but checked it out and he scored two League Cup goals against Forfar and St Johnstone.

I was pleased about him signing as he had been a tasty player in England but it was quickly clear his legs had gone. I'm sure he did the decent thing and cancelled his contract early.

He did an interview a few years after he left where he said (verbatim) "A training cone would have been more use to the team than me " Ironically left us and signed for a team in the Norwegian top-flight, finished top scorer and got back into the Norwegian national team.

Billy Semple, Andy Webster, Derek Strickland, Phil Bonnyman, Mohammed Latif, Richard Sharp, Francesco Stella, William Stanger, Andrew Shinnie, Andy Bruce, Darryl Duffy, Steven Lennon, Jordan Thompson, Umar Sadiq, Luca Gasparotto, Darren Cole...…..

He did an interview a few years after he left where he said (verbatim) "A training cone would have been more use to the team than me " Ironically left us and signed for a team in the Norwegian top-flight, finished top scorer and got back into the Norwegian national team.
Must have been something left in the legs, then? Maybe the Rangers jersey was too heavy.

I don’t count the lower league years as those were an absolute anomaly, we were always going to have worse players.

But in the top tier, Ostenstad and possibly Gary Bolan were among the worst I can remember.

Billy Semple, Andy Webster, Derek Strickland, Phil Bonnyman, Mohammed Latif, Richard Sharp, Francesco Stella, William Stanger, Andrew Shinnie, Andy Bruce, Darryl Duffy, Steven Lennon, Jordan Thompson, Umar Sadiq, Luca Gasparotto, Darren Cole...…..
To be fair , Billy Semple was a decent winger, who couldn’t get near a regular starting berth because of Willie Henderson, Bud Johnston and latterly Tommy McLean.

Deep breaths, Deep Breaths!!!

Ross Perry , god awful player

Also Kirk broadfooot , never think he was one of us way rat acts lately

You forgot to add billy urquart

He was top scorer for his team, but not top scorer for the whole league.

And for the national team he got back into the squad for the game against Scotland, got subbed at half time in a game that finished 2-1 to Scotland, and retired a month later!

Jimmy Steele, there wouldn’t be many trying to take liberties with our young players during a match if he was playing now

There was a full back in the NIAR years, was freed on the Thursday but played at Ibrox in the Saturday due to injuries

33 games and 10 goals.

Must've picked up a couple of medals as well given when he was playing.

I never liked him as a player but never booed him as it's something I've never done in all the years attending our magnificent stadium.

Stephane Guivarc’h.

Won the World Cup with France in 1998 and even played 66 minutes in the final against Brazil. Signed for us in November 1998.

Do recall him scoring against St Johnstone on his debut and I think he scored in the league cup final that season but for a player of his pedigree, he’s an easy one to forget!

Nieto's a bit of a strange one on reflection.

A 22 year old on loan from a club that most of us have never heard of in Argentina.

According to Wikipedia, he had 33 goals in 58 appearances so it sounds like a decent enough gamble.

I'm guessing they were in the second division. Is that right @drgriffen?

What was the score with Celik again?

As I recall he appeared out of nowhere around the time Craig Whyte was kidding us all on he was trying to sign players - putting in derisory offers he knew would never be accepted made up with loads of add-ons he knew would never be met.

What was the score with Celik again?

As I recall he appeared out of nowhere around the time Craig Whyte was kidding us all on he was trying to sign players - putting in derisory offers he knew would never be accepted made up with loads of add-ons he knew would never be met.

Was he not around at the same time Daniel Cousin was kicking about? Early 2012?

Nieto's a bit of a strange one on reflection.

A 22 year old on loan from a club that most of us have never heard of in Argentina.

According to Wikipedia, he had 33 goals in 58 appearances so it sounds like a decent enough gamble.

I'm guessing they were in the second division. Is that right @drgriffen?

Had to look it up and it appears they were in the Primera when we signed him (not 100% sure of the dates).

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/almagro_3/2005/3/

It looks like they got relegated from the Clausura.

I will add that Nieto played in the best footballing team I have seen in Argentina: Cappa's Huracan. They were a joy to watch.

Back