They were a clever top class team

We were beaten by a better team but we have almost no dig and no fight in the players we have.

That’s not their fault though. We need a couple of new players with more dig and fight to compliment the better players.

:(

Let’s not kid ourselves on. We were total shite. Not one player I’d give pass marks to, not even Lundstrum. What will it take for these guys to wake the fk up!

The performances will be worrying everyone I think, people will shoot anyone down who questions it with top of the league etc. It shouldn't matter if we are first or last in the league, if the teams not performing to the levels they can then it should be questioned. Be interesting to see how long gerrard sticks with some in the side. For the first time under gerrard going from last season into this season I haven't seen an improvement from the team. Hopefully it's a blip and we kick on but if we still haven't improved performance wise in a month from now itl be a big worry regardless of what the results have been.

We were beaten by a better team but we have almost no dig and no fight in the players we have.

That’s not their fault though. We need a couple of new players with more dig and fight to compliment the better players.

:(
I thought we had plenty of dig, but lacked quality. The amount of mistimed tackles and times they escaped our press was very poor considering how good we've been in Europe last 3 seasons

Let’s not kid ourselves on. We were total shite. Not one player I’d give pass marks to, not even Lundstrum. What will it take for these guys to wake the fk up!
Another moronic post , this place is full of greeting faced kid on supporters tonight. The Lyon squad is valued at over £200m. We should have been level at HT. Why don’t you wake the fk up or better still get tae yer bed

They are a good team who showed their class in possession but we’ve come up against good teams like them before and got results especially at home. But we gave away 2 goals (Kent) and for some reason we, as a crowd, didn’t influence the game in the way we can

Not any better than Porto and Benfica and certainly not better than Leverkusen were. Any decent side will score goals against them.
Mate if you think they were the same level as those teams, they weren’t, they were at least in par with Leverkusen. Might be hard ro
Admit now but…

Another moronic post , this place is full of greeting faced kid on supporters tonight. The Lyon squad is valued at over £200m. We should have been level at HT. Why don’t you wake the fk up or better still get tae yer bed
I’m working. We’ve been shite since the season started (luckily grinding out results) and I don’t give a fk if they are worth 200 mil. They were there for the taking. So take your moronic post and stick it up your arse, if you can squeeze it past yer heid. You used and the wanker that liked you pile of pish.

I’m working. We’ve been shite since the season started (luckily grinding out results) and I don’t give a fk if they are worth 200 mil. They were there for the taking. So take your moronic post and stick it up your arse, if you can squeeze it past yer heid. You used and the wanker that liked you pile of pish.

They weren't there for the taking at all. If your entire argument is predicated on the fact we've been poor all season so far, then how at any point were a team of Lyon's quality there for the taking? Even if we were going into this game firing, then there would still be every chance Lyon would prove too much for us.

When we pushed up and pressed hard they constantly put the ball out, when we sat back and allowed them to play they picked us apart albeit with a wonder strike and a bit of luck as we scored their second.
We should have gone for it more and not sat back and allow them to get into their rythm.

They weren't there for the taking at all. If your entire argument is predicated on the fact we've been poor all season so far, then how at any point were a team of Lyon's quality there for the taking? Even if we were going into this game firing, then there would still be every chance Lyon would prove too much for us.
The reports on here were about Lyon being a “Champions League” team a “200 million team” that wasn’t what I saw, and the Rangers team that played in Europe last year would have picked up a result against this “Champions league team”. McGregor had no chance with the first goal and more bad defending cost us a second. We were shite and the coaches need to start figuring out what’s going otherwise no mas Europe for us this season. Lyon aren’t that good from what I saw.

The reports on here were about Lyon being a “Champions League” team a “200 million team” that wasn’t what I saw, and the Rangers team that played in Europe last year would have picked up a result against this “Champions league team”. McGregor had no chance with the first goal and more bad defending cost us a second. We were shite and the coaches need to start figuring out what’s going otherwise no mas Europe for us this season. Lyon aren’t that good from what I saw.

Lyon are normally a Champions League side. Go and take a look at the last 5 seasons. They were in the semi final two seasons ago. They also outstrip us when it comes to budget and quality of player they can attract. That matters an awful lot in football.

They played better than we did and you got the sense they still had gears to go up during that game. You could argue that we could have given them a game if we were in better form but we're not. So it's a bit of a moot point. Absolutely zero shame in losing narrowly to a side like Lyon, even at Home.

We've lost our first group game and now have 4 very winnable games against sides who are worse than Lyon before we have to face Lyon in France in the last group game. Still all to play for.

2 sides not at their best , best team won on the night , displayed the level to be at at all times we should learn from this .
They will be last 4 of this tournament without doubt .we move on .

Lyon are normally a Champions League side. Go and take a look at the last 5 seasons. They were in the semi final two seasons ago. They also outstrip us when it comes to budget and quality of player they can attract. That matters an awful lot in football.

They played better than we did and you got the sense they still had gears to go up during that game. You could argue that we could have given them a game if we were in better form but we're not. So it's a bit of a moot point. Absolutely zero shame in losing narrowly to a side like Lyon, even at Home.

We've lost our first group game and now have 4 very winnable games against sides who are worse than Lyon before we have to face Lyon in France in the last group game. Still all to play for.
Based on the game I watched today, they were there for the taking by a Rangers side firing on all cylinders. I, like a few others it looks like, thought this would have been the ideal game for the lads to come out the traps salivating; get their MOJO back so to speak. They didn’t. It’s worrying.

Based on the game I watched today, they were there for the taking by a Rangers side firing on all cylinders. I, like a few others it looks like, thought this would have been the ideal game for the lads to come out the traps salivating; get their MOJO back so to speak. They didn’t. It’s worrying.

I would to have a look at Bacuna now, get him in and hopefully he can drive forward from midfield and hit shots from outside the box

A very sobering experience really but the positive takeaway is that Rangers competed rather well against an excellent side.

In Europe, under Gerrard, we always make a game of it and even against superior opponent like Lyon we don’t look out of place.

That is encouraging.

Lyon were a class above tonight, a champions league team. They knew exactly how to see out a game. Probably the best team we have faced under Gerrard.
I agree,but we did make it easy for them,we gave them far too much respect and probably to much emphasis on how technical they are by the staff,AND until we change from a back four to a three we will ALWAYS struggle against teams of that calibre.

Lyon had quality and looked to have more gears to go to if needed. Quality side.

They were in Champions League Semi-Final just over a year ago.

We played ok in spells imo, but were punished for poor mistakes. Second goal in particular was poor goal, we won ball back 3 times during that move.

It’s not the game to over-react to afterwards imo.

Totally agree with the OP.

Lyon are as good as Leverkusen, if not better.

Some folk are going on as if we just lost to Livingston.
See I disagree completely. I didn’t think Lyon were a patch on bayer and they are not a champs league team, they are in the europa with us. If we had been able to get to last seasons levels we would have beaten them tonight. I know it’s all ifs, buts and opinions but I wasn’t as impressed by them as some on this thread, we missed an opportunity last night

The bookies odds of us winning pre-match tell you all you need to know. Lyon are a top side and if we got a result it would have been a big upset.

For me they never impressed me. Never saw anyone on that park thought was outstanding for them.
I think we went out with a mind set that they are a champions league team better than us and we’ll coast and contain them.
We seem to have lost a sharpness can’t put my finger on it not the same team, middle to front it’s not happening Alfredo being the Lone Ranger up top with no great support or service.
davis for me needs to give up the international football and concentrate on club from the start of this season passing has been terrible giving the ball away constantly.
kents a man dow! Should have been subbed at half time imo. Cost us the two goals.
A very lackadaisical performance once again this season. New signings well let’s just say havnt bettered the squad never mind the starting 11.

The bookies odds of us winning pre-match tell you all you need to know. Lyon are a top side and if we got a result it would have been a big upset.
Dunno what bookie you were looking at but sky bet had us at the same odds

They are shopping in Harrods we are still going to the corner shop. They have players playing at their peek and craftsmen when we have players at the twilight of their careers and journeymen. That it is just how it is unfortunately.

A better team than us, simple as that. We didn't disgrace ourselves at all but we would've had to be right at the top of our game last night to get anything and we weren't.

Lyon were a class above tonight, a champions league team. They knew exactly how to see out a game. Probably the best team we have faced under Gerrard.

I agree, after watching Betis I made the mistake of thinking maybe European football is not that far advanced. By god what a contrast with Lyon.

No shame getting beat from the top seeds.

Nationally Ranked 2nd behind PSG in one of the big 6 euro leagues.

Ranked 23rd in all of Europe.

Top seeds in our europa group.

Never got the respect they deserved by our press, but SG knew.

The press were to busy creaming up a spanish club ranked 23rd in Spain with a European ranking of 122.

I'm not buying it

Top quality teams don't pass the ball out the park as often as they did

We were the architects of our own downfall, giving the ball away in the middle of the park

I am very much of the view they are a CL team, and were comfortably better than Porto.

Ignoring that for a second, they are one of the favorites for the Europa with a side packed with players who cot a fortune and would be sold for a fortune.

There are teams out there who are, naturally just a bit better than us, so bizarre some people seem to just flat out reject that idea.

I agree, they let us give it the wide boy for the first few minutes, some folk on here even suggested they looked rattled, they didn't, they were just taking our meassure then dealt with us in the way they felt necessary, playing for time, picking up cute free kicks and plenty of decoy runs. They are a solid team that are 2 levels above us.

Hurts to say it but they simply were the better team last night. Don't know how anyone thought we'd beat Lyon last night when we got bollocked by Malmo.

Better team or not we were shite. Took far too long to do a basic pass, no service up front and a lot of our players looked right off it. I expected a lot better.
This is it for me too.

Granted they are a better quality team than Rangers, that's not even up for debate. The point is we've faced that a few times under Gerrard already and have either overcome it, or come a lot closer to getting a result. Last night we definitely seemed intimidated with the task. That showed in our passing and movement. Too many players playing within themselves and looking afraid to make mistakes. Not what we've been used to.

I posted earlier in the week that I was concerned as they were a better team than most folk seemed to be giving them credit for. In saying that though, they weren't actually as good as I expected. Leverkused were a far better side when they played us imo.

Surprised that Bosz has had such a so-so managerial career. He's clearly has something about him in terms of tactics and fitness standards.

Absolutely no shame losing to them, but for some balanced officiating and some better luck, break of the ball. A draw would have been a good result for us, sometimes life is unfair.

Back