Things learned from youtube matches

BunsenHoneydew

Right, we've all been watching a load of old matches on youtube. What have we all learned from them? I'll throw in a few to start:

1. Refs in the past were just as bad as refs now - possibly even worse.
2. The backpass rule has improved the game.
3. There's a fair few players (Goram springs to mind) that weren't just as good as you remember them being, they were even better.

Right, we've all been watching a load of old matches on youtube. What have we all learned from them? I'll throw in a few to start:

3. There's a fair few players (Goram springs to mind) that weren't just as good as you remember them being, they were even better.
Without offending folk , in a lot of the old videos I’ve watched defenders gough etc seem to make numerous blunders that today’s players would get executed for

Not to watch you tube matches: Despite never once doing a search on you tube that was Scum minded or indeed even when they had won, the clickbait down the side of the screen has for the last month, come up with games we've lost.

That DJ's winner against the Sheep at The Piggery in the SC semi-final of 1980 was nothing like I remembered it but that Sandy Jardine getting knocked unconscious as he saved us with a goal line clearance was exactly as I remember.

This was my first Rangers game.

The atmosphere at games seems miles better.

I notice that our support were brilliant at getting behind the team when they lost a goal.

This is a really significant point that is lost on a lot of people these days.

That DJ's winner against the Sheep at The Piggery in the SC semi-final of 1980 was nothing like I remembered it but that Sandy Jardine getting knocked unconscious as he saved us with a goal line clearance was exactly as I remember.

Watched that game and couldn't see any Aberdeen fans :))

Wee Tam McLean and Bud Johnston were cracking crossers of the ball and big D.J.could certainly head the ball.

Reactions: o7o
There would be at least one challenge in every match that would be considered a 100% red card “career wrecker” followed by a lengthy ban by today’s standards. And (if it was even considered a foul at all) the players would just get on with it.

And the game was a much better and more entertaining place for it.

That we never played tippy tippy football back then and was a joy to see most games with us playing 4-4-2..... some of the striking combinations we had were outstanding

This is one of my favourite Rangers goals. Was in the Jungle that day with my old man. Bedlam when we scored.

Sandy took a sore one.

A fighting spirit

Early 2000s we were a lot better at feeding the strikers feet from full back and centre back with a ground pass. Probably due to a lot of opponents playing 4-4-2.

I can remember watching some of our teams in the 90s and being critical, but I tell you what I wouldn't mind some of the players that I was moaning about in our team now.

Standing on terracing was fantastic for the match day experience and the atmosphere.
My kids were watching the 1986 League Cup Final with me the other night and amazed at the number of people standing on what I described as really wide concrete steps.

I know that it’s safer to have all seater stadiums but I miss the old terracing and even the chaos that could come with it at Hampden or the Piggery at a goal.

Watched the Battle of Britain v Leeds last night - Footy was seriously more exciting back then
I think football in the 80s & 90s was just a more robust competition... some of the skills on show and the passing moves (especially when counter attacking was a big thing in the game) were fantastic but you were always half expecting someone to absolutely plough through your star man at some point in a game as well.
It was all much more tribal and resembled the sport the way that kids and adults played with their mates.

And scissor kicks... you just don’t see a good scissor kick any more. A lad in my sons team scored one early in the season and the parents of our team went bananas celebrating it!

That I was spoiled rotten from Souness to when Walter left the final time we watched some tremendous sides and players and I didn’t fully appreciate it until now. It was always right that’s done next!!

I watched the Laudrup cup final the other night the full game and what stood out to me was how hard our team was Gazza was getting wired in with some tasty tackles Ferguson McCall but we couldn’t half play too.

watched the 92 semi v them last night
ffs was spackman underrated ?

WATP
I think so yes. The previous season it had threatened to fall apart but Spackman was immense and captained the side in the legendary win over Dolly.

Although he’d joined us from QPR and had previously played for Liverpool and Chelsea, he wasn’t looked upon as a stellar signing, this was an era when we would be in the market any time a top player was touted for a move

If teams sat in we shot from distance and strikers followed up rebounds. Did help with players like Albertz and Van Bronkurst in the team.

This is a really significant point that is lost on a lot of people these days.

Refs then were also part time or amateurs depending how far you go back . Today's refs are paid at a different level and are expected to be performing to a higher standard.

My kids were watching the 1986 League Cup Final with me the other night and amazed at the number of people standing on what I described as really wide concrete steps.

I know that it’s safer to have all seater stadiums but I miss the old terracing and even the chaos that could come with it at Hampden or the Piggery at a goal.
Think this was around the time that they actually completed the concreting of the terraces. Before that it was old timber sleepers forming the steps with black ash fill as treads which weren't particularly wide. Certainly not as wide as the new concrete steps. The stour that came up when a goal was scored was incredible - happy (but filthy) days.

Just watched us beating them in Souness first season in New year game, watched Dynamo Kiev game. I love that Rangers archive channel.

Back