Things one has forgotten about the journey

Imagine getting your morning paper in Switzerland and seeing this:
DC2278-DD-8-D81-4-F6-E-8-F5-D-BC4-C71-BFE11-A.jpg

Standing outside Ibrox as part of a protest against the spivs, on the day we were playing Raith Rovers in the Scottish Cup.

Back to Partick to watch the game on TV & wishing I hadn't bothered, as Raith dumped us out the cup.

Summed up where we were as a club at that point, the Newcastle five - three injured & another one limped off injured (never to be seen again) after this game -

A lot of bad memories, but a lot of good away days and going to new parts of the country.

Some of the best away days I’ve had in all fairness - well, the ones I remember anyway.

losing 3 games in Div 3
inc 2 at home - 2 down to Annan and lose 2-1 & 1 up vs Peterhead and manage to lose 2-1

Emilson Cribari, who had played over 100 games in Serie A for Lazio struggling to play against the likes of East Stirlingshire, Elgin etc.

Putting Bilel Mohsni up front to scrape a 1-1 draw against Albion Rovers at Ibrox in the cup.

Cowdenbeath away in general. Shitehole.

Playing Albion Rovers away twice in one season, in two different cups, in two different stadiums, in two different towns.

Dundee United complaining that a Scottish Cup Semi-Final against us would be played at Ibrox. They complained 3 weeks before the game was played if I’m correct.

Lewis MacLeod being the only player for 2 and a half seasons to look like he could actually play football, before being punted for just under a million pounds and replaced by the infamous “Newcastle 5” who were all signed without medicals. 1 only ever featured for the Reserve squad and is now Switzerland’s starting right-back, playing every week for Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga. 1 tore his hamstring after 30 minutes. 1 never played. 1 turned up for the playoffs, and 1 was the only good player for the remaining 6 months of the season.

Getting put out the Ramsdens/Petrofac cup by Queen of The South and Alloa. Getting beat in the final by Raith Rovers.

Those fucking shorts in the kit launch that were 4 sizes too big.

Giving Richard Foster a contract, and him then arguing with fans when he went to take throw-ins at East Fife and Cowdenbeath away.

Thank %^*& the banter years are over.

The signing of Portuguese "Superstar" Bruno Alves.

Looked completely washed up, got released on a free then went and was first choice for Parma in Serie A for another 2 seasons. You wonder how things like that happen.

Darren Cole as well. "Holiday Daz".

Daft boys who thought they were the dogs bollocks and would stroll it in the lower leagues. They were soon dispelled of that notion.

there was this notion that we'd play kids thru the leagues & arrive in the top division with an excellent team who'd been together for years

reality was all but McKay & McLeod were not up to the task, showing the youth system was a mess too

The tadger Raith manager realising the camera was on him at Ibrox, making eye contact with it then starting to shout commands to his team.

I suspect it is my old age and senility, but I have forgotten, our original line up for our first game at Brechin.

Could someone please refresh my memory of our 14 back then, as I am ashamed to admit that I could have forgotten that , but remember line ups from early 60s games.

I suspect it is my old age and senility, but I have forgotten, our original line up for our first game at Brechin.

Could someone please refresh my memory of our 14 back then, as I am ashamed to admit that I could have forgotten that , but remember line ups from early 60s games.
Rangers: Alexander, Goian, Bocanegra, Broadfoot, Wallace, McKay (Naismith 96), Black, Hutton, Macleod, Little (Crawford 111), McCulloch. Subs Not Used: Gallacher, Cole.

Going to Beith Juniors.

Betting on Jig to score a hat-trick and win 3-0 against Albion Rovers. Game ended 0-0. Next game, Jig scores a hat-trick and we win 3-0.

Not so much something I forgot but probably the point where I thought 'how the f*ck are we going to get out of this?' & that was the SPIVS AGM where they were on the pitch and the shareholders were sat in the corner & they just basically took the p!ss

On the pitch....there are so many things that i want to forget. However, in saying that, had we not gone through all this hell then would yesterday have felt & still feel so good. I keep catching myself in day dreams and smiling :)

Rangers: Alexander, Goian, Bocanegra, Broadfoot, Wallace, McKay (Naismith 96), Black, Hutton, Macleod, Little (Crawford 111), McCulloch. Subs Not Used: Gallacher, Cole.

frightening to see that team with an all internationals back 4
SPL players in Black, Alexander & McCulloch

and it took a 102min winner in ET

My home town club Elgin printing off extra tickets and the game getting called off. WTAF.
You beat me to it with that one, I flew into Aberdeen from overseas on the Friday night, Mrs picks me up at the Airport and starts sobbing. I'm thinking what f'ck has happened here, eventually she digs up the courage to tell me the game was off, I'm not having it cos the forecast is perfect. Her worst fears were confirmed when she tells me why it's off... I went fkn tonto.

Kris Boyd bursting the net at Falkirk in the first away game of 2014/15 and going absolutely mental in the net to the fans only to be flagged offside.

Players then laughed at him for weeks and refused to let him hit penalties to get him started. Stupid all round.

Did I dream that Charles Green gave an interview via a hospital bed?
I was thinking the same, must be a reason the brain blocks a lot of shite out but reading this thread the actual memories of the time come flooding back. We’ve been through the mill and some FFS. :)) B-D

Pedro stood in a bush after losing to Progres, and still half of this forum supporting him.

Needing a late equaliser at home in a midweek game against Albion Rovers. Big Moshni scored it.
dire times, the points we dropped in those dark times were incredible

Brian Stockbridge, the Finance Director under the Spivs, being asked at an AGM how much of the IPO cash was left and him not knowing.

That sticks with me.

The Motherwell playoff and in particular Cammy Bells absolutely howling attempt at goalkeeping.

I was utterly dejected at that point. That result was worse in my opinion than any dropped points in the lower divisions.

Heading into the summer not having a clue how the club would turn it round. I had used up my optimism and the well was dry.

The two main villains of the piece being called Green and Whyte, absolutely incredible that. It would be like the same happening to them and a Billy White and Ian Blue moving in on them, you couldn’t make it up !!

First trip away to Berwick in the sun.

I forgot about it mostly because I was about ten times Ryan Jack’s level of steaming before we even got there.

For me it is something that I personally have never forgotten but it is at the back of my mind, that first ever leaflet hand out from The Son's of Struth, and I am sure Craig will not mind me saying but the first one had spelling mistakes in it and was a little, I hasten to add "Amateurish", however this was just the start, the leaflet got the message out there, it was a beginning, I stood with my son and handed those leaflets out, Son's of Struth gathered momentum, it was for me the true start of a fightback.

Craig, I apologise for bringing up something stupid like spelling mistakes, but you hold your head high, you and the Son's of Struth, stepped up to start the fight.

Ten long years, it has been hard, painful, some joyous occasions in lifting the trophies on our way back up, then to be able hug my son on Sunday afternoon, with tears rolling down my face (and his),makes it really hit home. What a journey, roll on Slavia on Thursday

A freezing , snowy night game away to Queen of the South when we were beaten 2-0 :eek: was a low point for me. Was at breaking point then.

Not a great deal of actual football high points but had some great times in bowling clubs , orange halls etc up and down the country following the team through the leagues :p

Would never ever want to go through that again football wise though........horrific.
Was this the game that was a Friday night and Super Ally was put on gardening leave that day? Was there too. Worst birthday ever :oops:

Also the game vs QOS at Ibrox when they beat us on penalties. Much worse to take when you lived in Dumfries!

Honestly shudder to think what might have happened and where we would have been had the three bears not wrestled control of our club.

12/13 in a row probably for that lot.

Back