Third place in the group and Europa last 16

If we finish 3rd in the group from this point it will be the stuff of miracles.

Gio deserves all the credit for his European efforts last season but I think its beyond him now. Neither he nor the Players look the same now and the reasons for it are as elusive to us as they seem to be for him.

We'll do well to score a goal in the group at this rate.
Bettering Ajax's results seems extremely unlikely from what I've seen.
With the head to head we need more points I can’t see where we get another one if we beat Ajax

Only if we stop being afraid to attack .We are far too timid in these games.
To attack you have to be able to play through the lines. Our midfield look incapable. With the money brought in recently not getting a good creative central midfielder through the door is criminal tbh.

Draw next week and a Napoli win = Rangers 1 point Ajax 3
Napoli will beat us and Liverpool beat Ajax on the same as above.
Last game we beat Ajax and then we finish 3rd.

That’s about or only hope but can I see us avoiding defeat next week and beating Ajax? Doubt it.
It’s easy to write it out like that but Napoli will be through with two games to play. Highly doubtful they would go full strength against us and would rest key players for the league imo. Liverpool would only need a point In Amsterdam so could be happy to settle for that.

Deportivo 04/05
Maccabi Haifa 09/10
Dinamo Zagreb 16/17

The 3 teams who have previously failed to score a goal in the group stage….. So far :rolleyes:

As we haven’t scored a goal 4 points seems a long way away…….but even a draw at home to Liverpool - let’s face it were getting nothing in Naples - could potentially leave us needing to beat Ajax last game to get third.
Right now though I’m far from hopeful.
Bite your hand off for that right now.

Ajax could easily get a point at home to Liverpool.

We will lose at home to both Liverpool & away to Napoli meaning match day 6 is a dead rubber.

Pick up a draw vs Liverpool at home isn’t outrageous (albeit a tough ask)

Hope Ajax continue to get beat from Napoli (A) and Liverpool (H).

Means we go into what is effectively a “cup final” vs Ajax at Ibrox on match day 6.

Big ask but not impossible. We need to take something from next weeks game imo though.

Its the coefficient that is bothering me ,after all the years of good work ,this campaign is going to give it a severe knock if we can't get any points out our last three games .

No its not

Next year we already have more points than we do this season. We will be on 54 points next year rather than the 50.25 we have for this year, and that's without getting any more points.

To attack you have to be able to play through the lines. Our midfield look incapable. With the money brought in recently not getting a good creative central midfielder through the door is criminal tbh.
I think Tillman and Lawrence were brought in to do that.Personally I hope Lowrie can come through.Having said that I still think we can use the wide areas better.We have players with pace and full backs that can overlap.It might be a bit risky but I would rather get Beat by having a go than another insipid performance like last night.

No its not

Next year we already have more points than we do this season. We will be on 54 points next year rather than the 50.25 we have for this year, and that's without getting any more points.
I know we have the Luxembourg debacle season to come off BB
But I was getting at the lack of points this group so far ,that will surely drag us down in future rankings ,also from a Scottish league perspective in gaining automatic qualifying for the Champions League.

It's amazingly enough still a possibility. Ajax get gubbed at Napoli, we get a result against Liverpool and Napoli's reserves (hopefully) and beat Ajax to absolutely scum our way into the Europa and bask in the meltdown of being 'the worst ever Scottish team to play in the Champions league and still have Europe after Christmas'.

A man can dream.

I know we have the Luxembourg debacle season to come off BB
But I was getting at the lack of points this group so far ,that will surely drag us down in future rankings ,also from a Scottish league perspective in gaining automatic qualifying for the Champions League.

Depends on what we do next season. Gerrards first season wasn't a great number of points either. Only 5 I think so we could still have the next season stronger again as well, depending on if we get more than 5 points next year.

So next year and the following year better than this season coefficient before we see any drop off due to this year's lack of points, if that makes sense?

We were only 2.75 points off of pot 3 this year which would have made a big difference to our chances

0 points.
0 Goals scored
20 Goals conceded (we might not quite be as bad as 20 but wont be a kick in the arse off of that when its all done and dusted).

Depends on what we do next season. Gerrards first season wasn't a great number of points either. Only 5 I think so we could still have the next season stronger again as well, depending on if we get more than 5 points next year.

So next year and the following year better than this season coefficient before we see any drop off due to this year's lack of points, if that makes sense?

We were only 2.75 points off of pot 3 this year which would have made a big difference to our chances
Cheers for that mate ,I'm with you know about the next few seasons rankings

Think we can agree second is unattainable, Ajax losing last night did us a favour and we now probably need to:

Beat Ajax at Ibrox MD6
Better Ajax's results v Napoli and Liverpool MD4 and MD5

Doable? Four points could well be enough...
You think Ajax are not winning anymore points? But we will get 4? Anything is possible but you really have to be more realistic.

If we finish 3rd after our start. Then it has to go down as one of most successful European campaigns. Obviously behind reaching finals and champs league last 16. It still would be impressive

Listen see if we can play the way we did against napoli until the red card (better than Liverpool at this moment imo) it's possible keep believing bears we can give these scouse pricks hell next week.
I'd really love to see this happen, however our Team will need to show courage as well as play to the best of our abilities to achieve the results we need.
When John Greig was our Captain I remember him saying the Team always believed we could overcome any opponent at Ibrox.
Wish we had a Captain with an on field presence like John Greig now.

Not a hope in hell we will finish 3rd in the group, I see us losing all our remaining matches, Napoli streets ahead of an Ajax team who are miles ahead of us, I also think Liverpool will batter us at Ibrox.

If we finish 3rd after our start. Then it has to go down as one of most successful European campaigns. Obviously behind reaching finals and champs league last 16. It still would be impressive
Remember how we started our europa campaign last season look where we ended up.3rd is still up for grabs.

I think Nunez had the same amount of shots on target in one game last night as our whole team has registered in three games. I can't see us even scoring a goal in this campaign.

Ajax will get a draw in their next two games. The last match against Ajax will probably be a complete dead rubber which is crap. Gio would probably still play negative

I think Nunez had the same amount of shots on target in one game last night as our whole team has registered in three games. I can't see us even scoring a goal in this campaign.
thats a pretty damming stat on how the performances and also the systems used have worked so far in this campaign

Think we can agree second is unattainable, Ajax losing last night did us a favour and we now probably need to:

Beat Ajax at Ibrox MD6

Want Ajax to lose all there remaining games including us and hope Napoli already arethrough rest players for serie A and we sneak a draw only way we get 3rd

Beat Ajax at Ibrox MD6

Liverpool have Man City away the Sunday after we play them on Wednesday so against a weakened team ill go -

MD 4: Rangers 2 - 2 Liverpool & Napoli 3 - 1 Ajax (Napoli now through)
MD5: Napoli 1 - 1 Rangers & Ajax 0 - 3 Liverpool
MD6: Rangers 3 - 1 Ajax & Liverpool 2 - 0 Napoli

Napoli 13pts
Liverpool 13pts
Rangers 5pts
Ajax 3pts

Its happening.

Europe is already settled for this season. I'm focusing solely on us reclaiming the title and hopefully a domestic cup or two.

3 good years of EL and qualified for the CL proper is plenty for me. Drop out entirely concentrate on the league. Would be delighted to get out the group but wouldn't be gutted to be eliminated tbh.

Win the league this season and we go straight into the CL.

The squad needs addressed as we are miles off that standard.

So we 1st need a point against Liverpool.
We should be able to do that no problem.
That then and sets up a cup final against Ajax.

So all we really need to do if you simplify things is face 2 teams that made us look like wee lassies last time we played them.

Are we not better just beating both of them to keep it simple and earn some extra cash?

We should release a commemorative comic while we are at it..

We could call it 'Roy of the Rangers'

Can't see us scoring any goals based on what we've seen so far. Gio doesn't set up to try and score which makes it especially difficult to win any points.

Love the optimism but it sounds a bit like what we say when we're 8 or 9 points behind in the league: 'If we can win the remaining Old Firm games and all our other matches...'

The evidence so far suggests a solitary goal should be celebrated like Sebo scoring against Chelsea.

I am struggling to actually see us score never mind taking a point .
We could have got a couple v Napoli and one last night. When we are aggressive we create chances surprise surprise. These players are under performing with the negative tactics and they are not playing with freedom or any joy.

Next week is the key fixture. As bad as we have been no one would have expected us to win at Ajax or Liverpool. The Napoli game was changed by the red card. I still think if Morelos had scored the chance right at the start, we would have got a result. Ibrox is a gamechanger on these nights as we showed last year.

Even without the poor start finishing 3rd when the draw was done would have been a great achievement given it's one of the hardest groups we could have been drawn in. Be lucky to score a goal never mind take 4 points out the last 3 games though.

Ajax could easily get a point at home to Liverpool.

We will lose at home to both Liverpool & away to Napoli meaning match day 6 is a dead rubber.
Correct. There will still be the small matter of £3 million prize money for 3 points and a chance to salvage a bit of pride though. So it’s not like it will be a case of play fringe players. We still need to try and win that game.

Back