Third place in the group and Europa last 16

Take our medicine and focus on the league.

2 games a week is killing that mob and we have to take advantage of that.

A reminder.. a rescinded red card is what prevents us being joint top of the league.

No we will lose every game. We might score a goal at some point. Who knows.

Playing 15 defenders and a goalie sort of does that.

The thing is, this is largely the same group of players who took us at a European final. They were well disciplined in all the knockout games, never left ourselves too exposed, knew when to counter with numbers whilst still restricting space for the quality players to operate. See also the PSV games.

Why is Gio’s team now playing with so much fear and no confidence? Why isn’t he able to get the best out of the same group that constantly delivered only a few months back?

We look utterly lost once we cross the half way line and our decision making it atrocious (which led to the second goal last night). Mad how far we’ve fallen.

Say no to drugs kids!!
It's so depressing... we are Rangers....even in our shittiest champions league displays from days gone by we tried a bit..now the games gone before the first whistle.
Still ....a possible 9 points up for grabs..in my dreams...gutting.

It's so depressing... we are Rangers....even in our shittiest champions league displays from days gone by we tried a bit..now the games gone before the first whistle.
Still ....a possible 9 points up for grabs..in my dreams...gutting.
Hallooo there Newbster.

Have a beer and chill.

Its the coefficient that is bothering me ,after all the years of good work ,this campaign is going to give it a severe knock if we can't get any points out our last three games .
Longer term you’re right, it’s so difficult to gain decent points up against this level of opposition, but our coefficient has still improved for next year, 0.25 lost, 4 gained so far for us. That 4 points is still pretty poor and will carry for the next 5 years. It’s after next season and the season after that it will start to become a problem. Next season will likely be the highest ranking we achieve for a long time the way things are going. Pot 4 CL teams racking up double digit coefficient points in a season is the exception rather than the rule unfortunately and that’s where we are. It’s all designed to ensure the top teams and leagues stay at the top and the also rans pop between Europa and Champions league in a cycle. We have added 6.5 to the Association coefficient, more than anyone else, but that’s not saying much given the company we keep at the moment.

If we finish 3rd in the group from this point it will be the stuff of miracles.

Gio deserves all the credit for his European efforts last season but I think its beyond him now. Neither he nor the Players look the same now and the reasons for it are as elusive to us as they seem to be for him.
I think the difference this season is we haven’t believed that if we put in the extra effort, we have a chance of taking something from games. It’s been sit deep and defend. It would be interesting to see the distances covered compared to last season but I think we’ll be quite some way short. We need to start matching their ability with the effort we put in, rather than inviting on top class opposition. That means running into the ground for 45 minutes or an hour and using all our subs. We need players busting a gut, knowing they’ll leave the field of play early and dead on their feet with the maximum energy expended for the the time they have. If we get to that point, results will come.

Back