This current Rangers team has peaked. We're now on the slide

If we are being brutally honest we scraped through a lot of close games by a goal last year and after a while saying "thats the sign of champions" doesn't cover up the flaws.
We had an invincible season last year smashed all sorts of records and like all champions do,grind results out when it matters.

There’s definitely some issues to address this season but last season league wise was flawless.

And for what it’s worth I actually think you’re a Timposter.Every thread you stick out.

In what was is Kamara messing us about? He still has 2 years left.
You’re right, Gerrard hasn’t ever mentioned they’re in discussions over a new one...

Oh hang on, no, he has. He’s said it regularly all calendar year.

Doesn't make us shite, doesn't make us bad but we are not the same side as last season. We're good but we are going through the motions something awful this season.

Energy, hunger, desire..call it what you want. Whatever you call it, we don't have it anymore. There is absolutely no zip to this team.

Failure(for whatever reason) to freshen up this squad is going to cost us.
The only way was going to be down after the huge high of last season but the good thing is that we had such a huge lead last season that we can afford to not be as good and still win the league easily. I don't think our signings over the summer were particularly great though and haven't strengthened the team or replaced the incumbents which is a worry when we've got a few players racing the tail end of their careers and a few who are likely to leave next summer. I don't see any of the new players displacing the team from last season when they're all fit.

Its OK Gerrard saying we have yet to click but we are the guts of 2 months into the season and the question should be why? Not scoring enough goals from open play and giving away soft goals is not a good way to continue.
But still top of the league. Once we click we'll run away with the league again.

If we can’t shake this lethargy off in six games time, we would have to look at the op’s point being a valid one.

We still have time to get our arses in gear. And if we stay at the top of the league from now until next May, it’ll be a moot point. Regardless of what scenario transpires, the squad needs freshening up significantly and with a higher calibre of signing.

Were people expecting another unbeaten season?
Of course that wasn't going to happen again our hunger to win games is tge issue if we start the second half same as the first we win that game today we slowed the game down too nany side and back passes and instead of the one touch fluid football the player's were taking too many allowing them to organise themselves

Doesn't make us shite, doesn't make us bad but we are not the same side as last season. We're good but we are going through the motions something awful this season.

Energy, hunger, desire..call it what you want. Whatever you call it, we don't have it anymore. There is absolutely no zip to this team.

Given your moniker I’m sure you’re old enough to remember the 9 in a row era. Definitely the Advocaat and Mcleish era.

Was it ever pain sailing dominance from day one every season? Very few clubs achieve that and we had many a stuttering start under Smith during the 9 in a row years. Advocaat backed up one title spending a fortune, McLeish didn’t manage back to back league wins.

The squad has been freshened up, a few of them will need more games to settle in.

There was zip aplenty in the first half we played some great stuff.

Perspective mate, it’ll come together.

Top of league and not played well at all. Just wait until we start clicking!
But how long do you wait until we start clicking?

People were concerned after preseason and were told to wait until we had some competitive games.

People were concerned after 5 or 6 league and European games and were told it’s early in the season.

People are still concerned 12 games into the season and are still being told we’ll come good.

I’d much rather be asking these questions from a position of strength and sitting top of the league, than being 4 points adrift and sitting in 6th position in the table.

No one was expecting another invincible season or clean sheet records, but how long are we allowed to give it until we can legitimately ask questions as to why performance levels have dipped so far below those standards set last year?

But how long do you wait until we start clicking?

People were concerned after preseason and were told to wait until we had some competitive games.

People were concerned after 5 or 6 league and European games and were told it’s early in the season.

People are still concerned 12 games into the season and are still being told we’ll come good.

I’d much rather be asking these questions from a position of strength and sitting top of the league, than being 4 points adrift and sitting in 6th position in the table.

No one was expecting another invincible season or clean sheet records, but how long are we allowed to give it until we can legitimately ask questions as to why performance levels have dipped so far below those standards set last year?
Something is lacking! As you say we need two address it from a position of strength (top of the league)

Celtic game apart, we've played jobbers and dropped 5 points in 5 games.
I said it on another thread but we are lucky that they've had a rotten start to the season, however they are in a state of flux we're supposedly settled and can't seem to get out of second gear or string some results together.

If that lot gel then we could find ourselves in trouble.

I said it on another thread but we are lucky that they've had a rotten start to the season, however they are in a state of flux we're supposedly settled and can't seem to get out of second gear or string some results together.

If that lot gel then we could find ourselves in trouble.
And when Rangers gel they will be in trouble.

In some way, this is correct.

We’d have won that game last season. The drop off and lack of responsibility taken after they scored was embarrassing.

Tav was back to hitting hospital balls to people in an attempt to pass the buck. Was very 2018/2019.

Of course that wasn't going to happen again our hunger to win games is tge issue if we start the second half same as the first we win that game today we slowed the game down too nany side and back passes and instead of the one touch fluid football the player's were taking too many allowing them to organise themselves

That's pretty much how we have been playing though - get in front by a goal and stop playing inviting the opposition onto us as if it's some sort of tactical masterclass.

We need to do that when we are 2 goals clear and the lack of goals to chances created is a huge worry with a complete lack of composure or link up play in the final 3rd.

We can't be sitting on one goal leads or the law of averages say you will come unstuck on a fairly regular basis.

Some players are off form
Some players are not fully fit
Some players are not fully focused
Some players are not good enough
Some players are good but past their best

We've somehow managed to let all that happen around the same time and its created a number of problems all compounding one another and making the team misfire badly. Problem is theres no one solution to it all.

We had an invincible season last year smashed all sorts of records and like all champions do,grind results out when it matters.

There’s definitely some issues to address this season but last season league wise was flawless.

And for what it’s worth I actually think you’re a Timposter.Every thread you stick out.
Did yesterday not matter then? How come we didn’t “grind it out” yesterday?

I actually think the only big difference between the game yesterday and quite a few last year was that someone didn’t pop up with a goal towards the end of the game like they did last year My point wasn’t really to denigrate last years team but to show that there really isn’t all the much difference. If Aribos shot hadn’t hit Alfie’s arse then we would be saying “champions grind it out”.

But the flaws would still be there.

Last season was a once in a lifetime season that none of us will probably see ever again.it was never going to be the same this season and this is what a normal league campaign looks like and while it obvious we aren’t playing as well as we can and it’s in fits and starts.i still see positive signs in parts of games if we had gone in three up at half-time it wouldn’t have flattered us yesterday.the turning point was the Roofe miss in the second half that goes in its game over.i have seen this movie so many times in rangers title winning seasons that I won’t be hitting the panic button when we are on top despite our inconsistent start.

We’ve regressed and stood still in a position of strength. Warning signs were there and folk tried to say it and were shot down.

anyway,

Thankfully the rest of them are pisher. It’ll be a case of try not being too shite to win the league.

End of the cycle.

This coming summer will be a tough one, but a much needed revamp will happen.

Just hope the manager is given the funds to adequately replace the players who will undoubtedly leave.

I actually think the only big difference between the game yesterday and quite a few last year was that someone didn’t pop up with a goal towards the end of the game like they did last year My point wasn’t really to denigrate last years team but to show that there really isn’t all the much difference. If Aribos shot hadn’t hit Alfie’s arse then we would be saying “champions grind it out”.
But the flaws would still be there.
We didn’t grind it out yesterday because the team hasn’t hit the heights of last year and there’s various issues at play.All of which are being discussed on various threads on here.

The idea that the 1-0 wins,very hard fought 1-0 wins that we previously wouldn’t have held onto at place like Easter Road,crucial Old Firm games and through long hard winter months were “scraping” and covering up “flaws” is ridiculous.

No title winning team goes through a season hammering teams in every game.Those 1-0 wins were and are the mark of champions.Rangers,the tims,Manchester Utd,Chelsea,Arsenal,Liverpool - all had the ability to do that on route to being crowned winners over the years.

You’re subtle at times I’ll give you that..

We are nowhere near as good as we think we are.
That second half yesterday was turgid pish. The whole team was crap. Roofe, Simpson just not goid enough.
Get the finger out Rangers coz this lethargy needs to stop.

We didn’t grind it out yesterday because the team hasn’t hit the heights of last year and there’s various issues at play.All of which are being discussed on various threads on here.

The idea that the 1-0 wins,very hard fought 1-0 wins that we previously wouldn’t have held onto at place like Easter Road,crucial Old Firm games and through long hard winter months were “scraping” and covering up “flaws” is ridiculous.

No title winning team goes through a season hammering teams in every game.Those 1-0 wins were and are the mark of champions.Rangers,the tims,Manchester Utd,Chelsea,Arsenal,Liverpool - all had the ability to do that on route to being crowned winners over the years.

You’re subtle at times I’ll give you that..
Honestly, fck off now. I let it slide once, but cut the snidey comments out. Just because I have a different opinion to you (and maybe many others) it doesn’t make me a tim.

Last edited:
We seem to be playing a completely diffrent way to last season,ie no high press, no hunting in packs to get the ball back when we lose possesion. Our movement and passing is slow and our finnishing is dire.

Calm down mate.

In some way, this is correct.

We’d have won that game last season. The drop off and lack of responsibility taken after they scored was embarrassing.

Tav was back to hitting hospital balls to people in an attempt to pass the buck. Was very 2018/2019.

This is part of the issue. We rely on our right back being the main creative force in the team and when he's not at 100% he gets scapegoated for everything.

Where are the midfielders and forwards?

This is part of the issue. We rely on our right back being the main creative force in the team and when he's not at 100% he gets scapegoated for everything.

It was not an over the top criticism. Just noticeably it was very unlike last season.

The midfield was non existent and our forwards couldn’t finish their dinner, either.

Agree with what SDF is saying to a certain extent, it's all about the recruitment.

We have not improved this team at all.

If we win this season we'll freshen the squad with the guaranteed champions league money, but that income is not worth gambling with.

If we don't see a step up over the coming weeks then we really need to spend some money in January to strengthen the starting 11 and secure this title knowing the prize pot at stake.
This is bang on the money

You’re right, Gerrard hasn’t ever mentioned they’re in discussions over a new one...

Oh hang on, no, he has. He’s said it regularly all calendar year.
Aye but its hardly like he’a offski and his mind is elsewhere. Unlike Goldson.

Of course it peaked last season. That was a once in a generation season and most of us will be very lucky to see the like again.

We are not up and running yet in my eyes. Too much disruption due to injuries and Covid. We will get there. Just need to rack up the points whilst doing so though. Certainly see no need for some of the near panic-ridden posts we’ve seen on this forum.

kent has been injured
wright has been injured/out due to covid
sakala has been injured
hagi has been injured/out due to covid
aribo had covid issues pre-season
morelos missed pre-season/picked up a knock/had covid in the summer

Did Tav single handedly win us the league last season? Take out his goals and assists and I think last season looks a helluva lot like this one.

There is tremendous pressure on the eastenders already. Any slip up at home and they will invade the pitch. Maybe it will happen this weekend.
The thing is they are building a new team and clearly in a state of flux, whereas we're supposed to be settled and building on what we have. I suppose we have to expect a tailing off from a remarkable season last year, but we need to start stringing wins together even if by playing ugly otherwise we're going to throw the league away.

Needed something sizeable in the summer in the middle of the park.

A renewed driving force: bit of class.

We have a better squad, but the starting 11 is stale.

(CL exit fucked it, I know).
If we had taken a chance and bought a good midfielder we may have had CL money.

4 points clear and your writing us off nae bother

Back