This is an opportunity and a gift - we might only get one chance

Robert California

Forget rights, wrongs and inconsistencies, we have one chance to get this right.

Got me thinking that this is actually an opportunity to re-invent ourselves as a support, and to kill stone dead the inevitable SFA/SPFL sanctions and strict liabilities that will follow. Our enemies are foaming at the mouth and emboldened, and are not really offended, but it's a way to attack us.

We now have a vibrant young energetic Management team and group of players knocking the ball about as well as I have seen, and we seem to be getting so much right in terms of our club rehabilitation and football operations, Youth Dev, improvements to stadium, Hummel Centre etc

If the support can unite and move on from singing about 19th Century Terrorist's, the Pope, Catholics, Paramilitaries, (this horse has bolted by the way, it's a game we can't win) we may find a brave new world that fit's in with our evolution on the field.

I think this is now the only way forward.

Forget rights, wrongs and inconsistencies, we have one chance to get this right.

Got me thinking that this is actually an opportunity to re-invent ourselves as a support, and to kill stone dead the inevitable SFA/SPFL sanctions and strict liabilities that will follow. Our enemies are foaming at the mouth and emboldened, and are not really offended, but it's a way to attack us.

We now have a vibrant young energetic Management team and group of players knocking the ball about as well as I have seen, and we seem to be getting so much right in terms of our club rehabilitation and football operations, Youth Dev, improvements to stadium, Hummel Centre etc

If the support can unite and move on from singing about 19th Century Terrorist's, the Pope, Catholics, Paramilitaries, (this horse has bolted by the way, it's a game we can't win) we may find a brave new world that fit's in with our evolution on the field.

I agree but it wont just happen without some meaningful dialogue between the club and fans. Im talking about Club 1872, SLO, UB, TBO and reps from supporters' clubs and associations. Unite and fight.

I admire your optimism that the minority in our support who want to contiue these songs will suddenly wake up and realise the damage they are causing.

I don't share it right enough.

Last edited:
I agree but it wont just happen without some meaningful dialogue between the club and fans. Im talking about Club 1872, SLO, UB, TBO and reps from supporters' clubs and associations. Unite and fight.

Agree 100%. The club now needs to commence a supporter engagement strategy like never before and drag all the groups, influential fans together and tackle this head on, united like never before. It could even galvanise us.

I’d love to see it happen.

But too many are focused on fighting some war with UEFA.

Agreed, but they need to realise that there will only be one winner, and it ain't going to be Rangers.

Our enemies and detractors are DESPERATE for us to keep doing this shit as they know it will damage us.

We have plenty of rangers song we can sing. No need for the other songs. It’s up to us as supporters to stamp it out once and for all!

I totally agree with the OP

FARE think they’ve got to us .

They may have inadvertently done us a huge favour IF we can seize the moment as a watershed and rid ourselves of these irrelevant , shitty songs forever .

Who in their right mind wants to go and watch Rangers to sing about a dead terrorist , a Pope , a disbanded terrorist organisation or 19th Century Terrorists ? It’s a very strange thing I’ve said it for years . Lose the baggage .

Yes,we shall lead the way and the supporters of all the other clubs will follow by example :rolleyes:

I don't give a shit about other club's at this moment in time, we cannot win with this .

We are now just about starting to see the fruits of 7-years of slog and toil, and are now risking all of that to shout FTP and 19th Century Terrorist Bastards at a game. It's insane

I agree with everything you say but it won’t make a blind bit of difference to the catholic fascists who want us shut down.
If it’s not a song, it will be a flag or a banner or even Armed Forces day at Ibrox. They will grass us up for absolutely anything they think that somebody will listen to.
This will never end until the club start to confront the real bhigots.

It's not a minority.

When Ibrox sings the Billy Boys, Its not a minority.

When there are songs about the Ulster Volunteers at Fir Park or Rugby Park, it's not a minority.
Apologies, I meant the minority who will want to continue the songs to the detriment of the club.

Apologies, I meant the minority who will want to continue the songs to the detriment of the club.

It keeps coming back to one simple issue.

That issue is parity of treatment with supporters of other clubs.

If that issue can't be addressed, there will be no "Progress" on this matter.

I'm not sure why anyone would be content to behave like a boy scout whilst opposition fans have carte blanche to sing as they please. It doesn't seem very fair and nor will it solve anything.

I totally agree with the OP

FARE think they’ve got to us .

They may have inadvertently done us a huge favour IF we can seize the moment as a watershed and rid ourselves of these irrelevant , shitty songs forever .

Who in their right mind wants to go and watch Rangers to sing about a dead terrorist , a Pope , a disbanded terrorist organisation or 19th Century Terrorists ? It’s a very strange thing I’ve said it for years . Lose the baggage .

Absolutely.

And speaking as someone who has sang everything there is to sing at Rangers games, the St Joseph's game was my daughter's first competitive game attended, we sat above the UB in Broomloan Rear, and for the first time I was a bit uncomfortable listening to some of the things that I have sang for years.

Not that I suddenly became a paragon of virtue, but I did wonder about having to explain to the wean what it was all about, I suppose others may have gone through this in the past as parents.

I'm not sure why anyone would be content to behave like a boy scout whilst opposition fans have carte blanche to sing as they please. It doesn't seem very fair and nor will it solve anything.

We can do both. Take this chance to sort out our own shit once and for all and then go on the offensive demanding parity and shining a torch on others every time we see it

Agreed mate

I hope this gives a voice to those who hate the loyalist pish! I fear there may be a stubborn element who continue, but I think there may be a louder shout down from the good Rangers fans against sectarianism. I have no doubt that a lot of those singing the UVF stuff will admit they are only doing it because others are doing it.

Attitudes that have changed in society:
Smoking in pubs
Wearing seatbelts in cars

We all got over them, and we will get over this.

I think the most annoying thing is that we knew this was coming. We should have been pro active on this and stamped it out ourselves. We all knew what was being sung and we all knew someone was going to take notice at some point.

Absolutely.

And speaking as someone who has sang everything there is to sing at Rangers games, the St Joseph's game was my daughter's first competitive game attended, we sat above the UB in Broomloan Rear, and for the first time I was a bit uncomfortable listening to some of the things that I have sang for years.

Not that I suddenly became a paragon of virtue, but I did wonder about having to explain to the wean what it was all about, I suppose others may have gone through this in the past as parents.

I love the union bears , we all love the Rangers .

I may be unpopular here but the club should tonight send out a message with a list of songs that are banned forever home or away -

No pope of rome
Super Rangers ( some cant be trusted )
Billy boys ( same )
IRA
Bobby Sands
Anything 19th Century Terrorist
50 p flute
Anything paramilitary at all
Any stupid addons

Outright ban no fucking about . These people continually dragging us through the gutter and leaving us open to attack are Fcking killing us

A hard line is needed and not before time

We have an opportunity here , maybe a last one before it really kicks us square in the nuts

Sing Rangers songs , blue flag , followfollow , Rangers easy ok , BSOI , Gerrards army , Rangers over here , Copland road , famous Glasgow Rangers , four lads had a dream

Ditch the shite .

Why is everybody so quick to criticise our own support and demonise our song book. We all know where this originates from. We all know who have brought it to the attention of footballs governing body. That’s right the same hypocritical bastards, the same morally bankrupt shower of human filth ever to populate this country. If we are to give up these traditions in order to adhere to the “progressive thinking” of the modern world we will do well to remember one simple fact. There was very good reason why generations before us vociferously opposed these people and there beliefs!

Simply not true. At the Kilmarnock match , it would have been less than 10%. Probably 5%.

I only go to home games.

If it's only 5% at the away games then there must be some microphone trickery.

It's completely disingenous bullshit to deny that Loyalist songs are belted out with anything other than gusto by the away support. I don't want to get hung up on just the billy boys but you clearly hear other songs like Daddy's Uniform being very loud at away games.

As a side issue, my problem with today's judgement is i'm not entirely sure what we're being punished for. The BBC article clearly mentions "racism". Nothing ive read on this forum today has even questioned what the crime was specifically.

It’s impossible to reinvent a support of our size, with our diversity of backgrounds. Pie in the sky stuff to think we’ll ever rid ourselves of something that goes well beyond football.

Football is a vehicle for behaviour, not a cause, and Rangers cannot be held responsible for someone’s upbringing and behaviour.

It’s why it makes it all the more absurd making the clubs liable for the behaviour of an absolute minority.

Why is everybody so quick to criticise our own support and demonise our song book. We all know where this originates from. We all know who have brought it to the attention of footballs governing body. That’s right the same hypocritical bastards, the same morally bankrupt shower of human filth ever to populate this country. If we are to give up these traditions in order to adhere to the “progressive thinking” of the modern world we will do well to remember one simple fact. There was very good reason why generations before us vociferously opposed these people and there beliefs!
You will hurt our club if you do not change your ways. It’s simple.

There are times for fighting and there are times for admitting you’re wrong. This is one for us to admit we’re wrong.

Yes,we shall lead the way and the supporters of all the other clubs will follow by example :rolleyes:
Precisely. I cannot believe how naive some people are. Do they honestly think that if we stop a few songs and add-one, this all goes away?!

These people are a cancer whose sole purpose in life is to hate and try to damage Rangers in any way they can. If it’s not this, they will move onto the next way to try and harm us. We’ve even had a Celtc fan come to a European match and invade the pitch, to try and get us in bother.

They are not going away. Our only way to target this is get right on the front foot, demand evidence of any perceived wrong-doing and sue FARE if they can not provide any. The ‘I was at the game and was pyoor o’ffended,’ charge is not good enough. We need to go after FARE with all our night and get them away to fuuck.

The flip side is we can't keep going on about what other clubs get away with when our own house needs to be put in order.

It is understandable that people are pissed off that it doesn't seem to be a level playing field but the easiest way around that is to concentrate on us. On Rangers.

Great post, make this a sticky

Post of the day so far.

I don't give a shit about other club's at this moment in time, we cannot win with this .

We are now just about starting to see the fruits of 7-years of slog and toil, and are now risking all of that to shout FTP and 19th Century Terrorist Bastards at a game. It's insane

Agree fully with this.

We are about Rangers and need to sort our own house.

When our house is sorted then we can go to f*%king war with the c%^ts who are hypocrites and cite them each and every game. But not until our own club is safe.

You will hurt our club if you do not change your ways. It’s simple.

There are times for fighting and there are times for admitting you’re wrong. This is one for us to admit we’re wrong.

When is it time to say enough then ? The time to fight as you say. People are sick and tired of being demonised and singled out when there is GENUINELY FAR FAR WORSE being tolerated within our our own city. People need to know eufa have opened a real can of worms here and there is NO CRIME in pointing that out.

We can do both. Take this chance to sort out our own shit once and for all and then go on the offensive demanding parity and shining a torch on others every time we see it
Aye like that will work, this has to be across the board not just Rangers singled out and this is not whataboutery it is a simple fact we keep bending the knee and they keep finding fault, aye chin us for naughty songs yet do %^*& all (trusting the SFA to investigate) about the biggest scandal in world football.
No one likes us, we care too much. FARE only care about fucking with us, due to interference we lost our most epic anthem and were then gave the line about the tune being outlawed aye fucking right they knew what it meant to us and how it made Ibrox a nightmare to play at this has been the endgame from day dot when the EBT thing was floating about another method of castration IMO.

100% agree...
Why do some fans insist on focusing on other clubs and what they do..
We talk about obsession... let’s just focus on us...
We can’t sing this stuff so plainly don’t, or else go somewhere else!

I know ‘fans’ that go to Ibrox and actually care more about singing this crap than watching the match!
I find it unbelievable but sadly true...
They will always be there until we as a fan base stop it!
Maybe it’s unfair, but it is what it is...
Let’s once and for all stop this and condemn it when we hear it

Agree 100%. The club now needs to commence a supporter engagement strategy like never before and drag all the groups, influential fans together and tackle this head on, united like never before. It could even galvanise us.

I thought this was a role the SLO could play. Start arranging meetings with supporters' clubs. Get them to appoint a couple of reps and organise a conference for all the reps. Get agreement on what can and cant be sung inside grounds then get the reps to feed this back to the clubs. When everyone's on board self police and hold clubs responsible for their own fans. I know everyone isnt a member of a club but there's only so much can be done.

I could do this myself.

The flip side is we can't keep going on about what other clubs get away with when our own house needs to be put in order.

It is understandable that people are pissed off that it doesn't seem to be a level playing field but the easiest way around that is to concentrate on us. On Rangers.
We don't who does genuine question?, songs glorifying terrorism are totally acceptable on European nights in our own city yet we sing against the perpetrators and are deemed the bad guys this whole scenario stinks to high heavens.

I agree with everything you say but it won’t make a blind bit of difference to the catholic fascists who want us shut down.
If it’s not a song, it will be a flag or a banner or even Armed Forces day at Ibrox. They will grass us up for absolutely anything they think that somebody will listen to.
This will never end until the club start to confront the real bhigots.

Complete nonsense

Back