This is now a big ask for Rangers TV, demand, capability and product

SuperGers07

So with the aim to get the season up and running in under 8 weeks, and the announcement of virtual season tickets via the club channel, the questions begin:

Can RTV cope with increased demand on an already notoriously fussy server?

Is the capabilities there to sustain and increase in demand whilst ensuring the quality of the stream is workable

and finally and most importantly for some:
Can they deliver a genuine match day product that other clubs can ? Right now, we throw to a background shot of Ibrox with Tom Miller talking then to a prerecordedand in most cases, out of date interviewpre match and also at half time?

It’s going to need a studio set up of some sort there’s the old tv studio rumoured to be getting a facelift.

We will need to wait and see but obviously things will need massivly upgraded to cope with the demands

I'm guessing no. It's been amateur for years. Im glad I go to games but have had to use on occasion due to illness or injury. Dreading watching it via this.

It struggled with the demand of UFA and Warsaw. I'd imagine these games will have 10x the devices tuning in.

Would also like to get a better commentator in, can't go Tom Miller at all.

Given there will be a minimum 40-50k people watching via RTV, the club has to invest money by ensuring it is more than capable of streaming our home games to our fans without any glitches

Sadly, I can’t say I’m optimistic that this will happen

Not to turn this into Tom bashing, but as the club improves it's digital offering across various platforms, it's time to get a professional commentator in

Most of the ones that do Europa coverage, etc are available on a freelance basis

Thankfully only time I need to use RTV for watching games is the oversea's friendlies etc.

The video lags every two seconds, picture often goes completely and the picture quality is like watching a game on the Sega Megadrive.

RTV gives me the fear for coping with the obvious demand there will be. Hopefully the club will heavily invest in the infrastructure and get it up to a level which is more than able to cope and also modern.

So with the aim to get the season up and running in under 8 weeks, and the announcement of virtual season tickets via the club channel, the questions begin:

Can RTV cope with increased demand on an already notoriously fussy server?

Is the capabilities there to sustain and increase in demand whilst ensuring the quality of the stream is workable

and finally and most importantly for some:
Can they deliver a genuine match day product that other clubs can ? Right now, we throw to a background shot of Ibrox with Tom Miller talking then to a prerecordedand in most cases, out of date interviewpre match and also at half time?

It’s going to need a studio set up of some sort there’s the old tv studio rumoured to be getting a facelift.
who cares about half time shows and match day experience? i would rather money spent on other areas of the club that require more immediate investments. why don't you just wait and see what they announce instead of jumping the gun with negativity

you'd imagine if they expect 5x or 10x the number of traffic they might look to invest in better servers etc. the issues with speed and reliablity may also be with our providers, so i'm sure the club will be planning around this as much as possible.

what would you rather, money spent on a shitey studio and half time analysis or new players, wages etc? the club is going to be massively impacted this year financially, have a think about what might be top of their priority list.

My own personal opinion in terms of how it’s presented to us:

Should be in a studio format. With a presenter, ex player/analyst and a member of fan led media in the studio. A commentator and an ex player co comm

We had that previously and it was all rather pointless. I'm not sure it offers anything.

Don't wish to seem I'll informed but can you get RTV in the Uk
Sad to see the amount of folk begging a big Rangers man like Tom out of a job. Take him over Walker every day that ends in Y
I was just thinking that. Would these people like Whalker to commentator on our games.

Not to turn this into Tom bashing, but as the club improves it's digital offering across various platforms, it's time to get a professional commentator in

Most of the ones that do Europa coverage, etc are available on a freelance basis

Correct. Rangers fan or not, his position should be no different to that of other employees.

If we're asking fans to pay top whack then it's only fair their money is put towards an upgrade in commentary. If we can afford better then get better.

And "would you prefer Crocker/Walker or Hamilton/Sutton" isn't a valid argument.

You do realise that its not a straight choice between tom miller and andy walker? Im sure theres plenty of people that would be able to do a better job.

wasting your time mate, any time this subject comes up, folk always jump in to defend Miller with the "would you prefer Sutton/Walker/Stewart" line. We'd obviously jump straight to an ex-tramp if Miller was to go, rather than looking for a proper professional commentator, with Rangers leanings.

I think Tom fell into it a wee bit as was running the production company or similar? He's certainly no commentator.

However, my preference would just be to provide a crowd noise option, very rare that commentary (Tom or anyone else) really adds a lot that you can't see for yourself, but I don't want to mute it.

I've been wanting to get Rangers TV for ages,not only to watch games etc but to give the club money.
All I read about on here is complaints about buffering,the picture disappearing etc so I think going by all this it's a waste of money.
Certainly needs addressed as I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this?.

Last edited:
who cares about half time shows and match day experience? i would rather money spent on other areas of the club that require more immediate investments. why don't you just wait and see what they announce instead of jumping the gun with negativity

you'd imagine if they expect 5x or 10x the number of traffic they might look to invest in better servers etc. the issues with speed and reliablity may also be with our providers, so i'm sure the club will be planning around this as much as possible.
Plenty care.

You do realise that its not a straight choice between tom miller and andy walker? Im sure theres plenty of people that would be able to do a better job.
I like him. Many others do. It’s Rangers TV ffs. Sorry if you don’t like the sound of the guys voice, mute it.

I've been wanting to get Rangers TV for ages,not only to watch games etc but tio give the club money.
All I read about on here is complaints about buffering,the picture disappearing etc so I think going by all this it's a waste of money.

Far from it. The problems seem to arise primarily with those using a VPN. I've never had those issues.

Don't wish to seem I'll informed but can you get RTV in the Uk

I was just thinking that. Would these people like Whalker to commentator on our games.

No one is asking for Walker are they ? When Andy Halliday was released no one cried about "Would Gerrard prefer a Tim in his place instead ?"

Why is Tom Miller's position different ?

Does being a Rangers fan make him exempt from criticism or being replaced by someone better ?

No one is asking for Walker are they ? When Andy Halliday was released no one cried about "Would Gerrard prefer a Tim in his place instead ?"

Does being a Rangers fan make him exempt from criticism or being replaced by someone better ?
Who else do you have in mind? Have you ever watched the mundane betting stream commentators? The other team have tom boyd. It shows you the level of talent pool we are shopping in for a match day comm. I'm sorry mate but I think the board and the digital team will have much more pressing issues than who commentates on RTV.

Don’t see many clubs out with us and them being able to do this, I’m not up too speed on all things SPL but how many other clubs have club channels and who can afford to start one up considering the financial constraints they are all under, some don’t even have enough players never mind a club channel.
Hopefully they go bankrupt.

He is more than capable, this is utter nonsense.

It really shouldn't be hard to upgrade the server we use. The current coal powered toaster is something a company would have used 20 years ago so no excuses.

Maybe a step to far at this point but I’d like us to go VR.

If infrastructure upgrades are needed, I hope we upgrade with VR in mind.

The bigger picture is that if clubs we play against have massively reduced incomes and they have to reduce their squad sizes and the quality of player (which isn’t exactly great right now) clubs going part time etc then it has a direct effect on us in the long term, who would wont to play/manage in a spfl that’s even worse that it is now.
The product right now is pretty bad but I think this coming season is going to be up there with the worst we have seen with the teams we are coming up against.
Honestly mate? I couldn't care less about the state of the SPFL and other teams. All I care about is our club going to war with the corrupt cabal and taking down the SPFL. If we don't do that we'll never be given a fair shake again and the pro Celtic bias and the corrupt refs will continue to do all they can to hurt us. The clubs have shown they have no interest in the betterment of Scottish football so fcuk them. We need to fight with everything we have against the corrupt Celtic cabal and go to court and expose them.

Probably asked elsewhere. But do we know if season ticket holders willl have to pay extra on top of season ticket for this?
Well here is one who won't,taking into account the standard off Scottish football,it is becoming one overpriced game and that is me trying to be polite.

Maybe a step to far at this point but I’d like us to go VR.

If infrastructure upgrades are needed, I hope we upgrade with VR in mind.
Absolutely not happening. You cant even get VR on sky and BT, what makes you think we have the cash to do this? It would be revolutionary in the industry

I agree with you about fighting the corruption that’s plain for all to see now given the statements from today about liabilities to tv companies.
my only fear is what’s left at the end, having less competitive completion has will have an affect on us when it comes to Europe, player recruitment even sponsorship in the long run. Right now for us it looks not too bad with the new kit suppliers and stuff but I just have the fear about the long term.
The biggest fear long term for Scottish football is the corrupt Celtic cabal remaining in charge for they are the ones that have destroyed Scottish football, and it will only progress when they are removed. That is what we need to focus on otherwise we might as well not even play.

Clubs were offered the chance to clean the game up and make it fairer for everyone and they refused so fcuk them. The only productive thing we can do is go all out to take down the filth they run Scottish football. We will never get a better opportunity and we need to seize it otherwise we'll continue to be treated like shit. We need to reassert our strenght as the biggest club in the league.

I'm sick of Scottish football I hope it all sinks and we go somewhere else.

Who will doing the EPL etc

I've been wanting to get Rangers TV for ages,not only to watch games etc but tio give the club money.
What I would say. I had it few years ago, hardly even watched any content.

Got it again last year, same as you mentioned to mainly give club the money.

Since the App launched, has been great. So even out with games, I would say content is worth the money.

When trying the UFA game etc agree is not great to try and watch games,so will need work done.

My own personal opinion in terms of how it’s presented to us:

Should be in a studio format. With a presenter, ex player/analyst and a member of fan led media in the studio. A commentator and an ex player co comm

Be great for a fan based contributor on.

the girl who does interviews - surely that team can host with the likes of Kevin Thomson analysing at times (hard as he’s a coach too).

There undoubtedly is a lot of work that needs to be done for the website to be able to cope.

I would like the coverage to start including pundits in the studio and more in depth analysis of the game instead of just showing pre recorded interviews.

Sad to see the amount of folk begging a big Rangers man like Tom out of a job. Take him over Walker every day that ends in Y

Here’s a mad thought

What if fans perhaps want Tom replaced by another Rangers fan that would perhaps be a better option?

I don’t mind Tom as such but some of his phrases and lines he comes out with has been golden material that the mentally challengeds use to mock us.

His speech about Brown after the December win hasn’t half come back to haunt us. It was embarrassing

Back