This is now a big ask for Rangers TV, demand, capability and product

Here’s a mad thought

What if fans perhaps want Tom replaced by another Rangers fan that would perhaps be a better option?

I don’t mind Tom as such but some of his phrases and lines he comes out with has been golden material that the mentally challengeds use to mock us.

His speech about Brown after the December win hasn’t half come back to haunt us. It was embarrassing
And you care what the mentally challengeds who are watching rtv think? So much that you want a good bluenose sacked?

Says more about you than Tom.

Is it ONLY season ticket holders that will have access to this?

And you care what the mentally challengeds who are watching rtv think? So much that you want a good bluenose sacked?

I personally find a lot of his commentary embarrassing and he tends to ruin the game for me when I listen to him commentate.

I get that he's a big rangers fan and wish him all the best but he should be no different to a player, if there's someone better then we should get them in.

Does anybody know how much money per game we'll save on police & stewarding etc? Hopefully some of that can be used for upgrading, because RTV really is woeful at times.

We have done the whole studio host and guest in the past for RTV and for whatever reason it was stopped. With social distancing in place and travel restrictions I don't see the club pursuing that method again. Some interviews are outdated which tend to be during the friendly matches but in the main they're from the same week the game is taking place so I don't really see the issue with it?

There's plenty out there better than Tom, with all due respect

Aspirations of the club are for RTV to be a different beast from when we were climbing the divisions

Of course there is but most of these commentors are already tied with work

It should be relatively easy for the production company to scale up capacity For the streaming. I don’t expect that to be a huge issue for them to fix

Regarding the commentary - I seem to be one of the few with this view. I enjoy it being done by one of our own. You can hear the passion and the knowledge that he has for our club.

So with the aim to get the season up and running in under 8 weeks, and the announcement of virtual season tickets via the club channel, the questions begin:

Can RTV cope with increased demand on an already notoriously fussy server?

Is the capabilities there to sustain and increase in demand whilst ensuring the quality of the stream is workable

and finally and most importantly for some:
Can they deliver a genuine match day product that other clubs can ? Right now, we throw to a background shot of Ibrox with Tom Miller talking then to a prerecordedand in most cases, out of date interviewpre match and also at half time?

It’s going to need a studio set up of some sort there’s the old tv studio rumoured to be getting a facelift.

Why, most people just want to watch the game.

It should be relatively easy for the production company to scale up capacity For the streaming. I don’t expect that to be a huge issue for them to fix

Regarding the commentary - I seem to be one of the few with this view. I enjoy it being done by one of our own. You can hear the passion and the knowledge that he has for our club.
You can barely hear the crowd over him. His mic is turned up far too high and those picking up crowd noise turned way down

I personally find a lot of his commentary embarrassing and he tends to ruin the game for me when I listen to him commentate.

I get that he's a big Rangers fan and wish him all the best but he should be no different to a player, if there's someone better then we should get them in.
If that ruins watching the game for you then i suggest its you thats the issue, not Tom. Mute it and enjoy the game, it’s really that simple.

If that ruins watching the game for you then i suggest its you thats the issue, not Tom. Mute it and enjoy the game, it’s really that simple.

Hopefully there is an option to mute the commentary adds nothing to the game.

I like Tom Miller as a commentator but he needs an analyst beside him and I would hire wee McCann. He has the knowledge and although a Rangers fan ,he is neutral enough to praise the other team when they deserve it. (apart from the papes that is)

ST holders confirmed as being given access complimentary.

Now up to Rangers to deliver a service worthy of the high demand coming. They can’t afford to mess this up

As long as I can watch the Rangers I don't care who commentates. I'm too hyper anyway to listen to who the fucks talking in the background :))

The bigger picture is that if clubs we play against have massively reduced incomes and they have to reduce their squad sizes and the quality of player (which isn’t exactly great right now) clubs going part time etc then it has a direct effect on us in the long term, who would wont to play/manage in a spfl that’s even worse that it is now.
The product right now is pretty bad but I think this coming season is going to be up there with the worst we have seen with the teams we are coming up against.
Genuinely it looks like the rest of the league are downsizing. Meaning we could see record points and goals scored for the old firm teams.

ST holders confirmed as being given access complimentary.

Now up to Rangers to deliver a service worthy of the high demand coming. They can’t afford to mess this up

I sincerely hope these games aren't taken as credit from the significant cost of our ST. Many people already pay significantly for RTV subsciptions on top of their ST.

We've already donated £160-200 of last season's ST cost for the return of a mythical £25 voucher nobody has received yet.

I am a tech retard but could we not link up with Netflix or Amazon and stream that way or is that stupid?

As someone that’s going to be watching RTV every week for the new season then yes I care about who is commentating.

We laugh at their lot such as Tinfoil Tom Boyd for his crackpot commentary

I sincerely hope these games aren't taken as credit from the significant cost of our ST. Many people already pay significantly for RTV subsciptions on top of their ST.

We've already donated £160-200 of last season's ST cost for the return of a mythical £25 voucher nobody has received yet.

I think you way that will be the case

Regardless of you already having Rangers TV this is a separate thing

I've been wanting to get Rangers TV for ages,not only to watch games etc but to give the club money.
All I read about on here is complaints about buffering,the picture disappearing etc so I think going by all this it's a waste of money.
Certainly needs addressed as I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this?.
Exact same for me.

Other than the odd glitch here and there ive never had any real problems with RTV. In saying that them few glitches could well be magnified with tens of thousands more tuning in. Heres hoping the club will resolve this.

What's the chances of having Rangers TV on Sky or Virgin like we did with Sentanta years ago?.
I imagine it would cost quite lot but I think the revenue would possibly be worth it.

As most on here will know I seldom have an issue with RangersTV, watching in the UK with a VPN. All this talk of upgrading the server doesn't wash with me. Most of those who have issues are having them down to a cheap/free VPN. That's not the case for everyone, of course, but its the root cause of the majority of issues. Secondary would be broadband quality and usage. You need decent speed but, no matter how fast it is, if your Mrs is on Netflix and two kids on XBox Live at the same time as you are streaming its going to have an impact.

The Ufa game has been mentioned a few times but it was established that was down to the host broadcaster rather than RangersTV.

It will be interesting to see how Rangers go with access for season ticket holders. Thereafter, the proof will be in the pudding in terms of quality. If only those on VPNs have problems it might help vindicate my argument.:)

Last edited:
What's the chances of having Rangers TV on Sky or Virgin like we did with Sentanta years ago?.
I imagine it would cost quite lot but I think the revenue would possibly be worth it.

Probably little chance as it costs to put it on a liner channel via a TV

Setanta paid for that, I sure it was around £400k a year

If they're capping streams at season ticket numbers then the club will lose a significant amount of income. And thats if they continue to charge full price for season tickets. And if people from the same household maintain all their season tickets rather than watching the same stream via 1 paid season ticket.

The finances for this look very dodgy.

I can absolutely guarantee they will be trying to clamp down on vpn subscriptions. I can absolutely guarantee that the first set of live matches at home for us and the manky mob will be chaos with complaints everywhere.

I'm wondering if you might get a SkyRangers channel that is only on on matchdays.

Streaming wise, rtv isn't yet equipped for this and some people may not have good enough WiFi.
Interested in this reasoning mate?

Last time I ran developer tools on an RTV stream in Chrome they were using full public cloud hosted infra (save uplink of course). AWS or Cloudfront if I recall right. Both of those have global infra including edge points for very good connections.

I’ve heard little to no complaints from overseas Bears regards streaming, and RTV ain’t responsible for people in the UK using VPN.

I can absolutely guarantee they will be trying to clamp down on vpn subscriptions. I can absolutely guarantee that the first set of live matches at home for us and the manky mob will be chaos with complaints everywhere.

If they're allowing streaming to season ticket holders then there won't need to be VPN hassles as the stream would be unblocked for UK users.

Maybe a step to far at this point but I’d like us to go VR.

If infrastructure upgrades are needed, I hope we upgrade with VR in mind.

Don't think this'll ever happen. It's certainly possible but would cost much more than what we'd ever make from it and profit has to be the key for Rangers at all times.

Unless VR headsets absolutely boom in sales to the point that most households have one then I see it as an idea that would cost us a fortune with little return.

I understand there's sports and teams out there that provide this but it's usually the Olympics or the NBA or something along those lines where there's 10's of millions of people watching regularly.

It's a good idea though, I'd definitely use it when I couldn't get to matches.

Back