This journey is over but next yr we win the damn thing!

captcaveman

We have been on another European journey that this got us to the final and sadly, we didnt win ( I know, again) . I know we are all down and feeling a mixture of sadness and a feeling that that was our biggest chance to win the trophy but, I will say it again..WE GOT TO THE FINAL !

We've had some amazing nights at Ibrox on this journey and created so many memories but, we just take this experience and bank it and hopefully the team have learned important valuable lessons and we use this experience for next season and actually go and try win the damn thing. Ive seem on Twitter fans of the smaller clubs in our league ( The tramps, the sheep Hivs) all laughing and thinking its the funniest thinge calling us losers but, who was in the final again last night and who are the highest Ranked UEFA Scottish club and which team Capt from our league actually won the top Europa league goalscorer award......Ohh thats us and our Capt!

Next season, we take everthing we've learned and just go for it again and start this whole European juggernaut rolling again but, this time, we win the damned thing!

The constant that will never leave us is the Ibrox atmosphere.

I think the heat and those bastards not selling water in the stadium took our 12th man away last night.

Need to strengthen our depth in terms of strikers next season. Had Alfie stayed fit we’d have won both the EL and the league

I’ve accepted that we will never ever see us get to a European final again.

Leagues, cups and solid euro runs is what we m can look for now.
I disagree. With the right recruitment and tactics we have shown its possible to get to finals. And with the Conference League there is even more chance than before.
And before anyone knocks the Conference, remember there was 3 Euro tourneys for years. The 3rd rated of which was the UEFA Cup.
I am 63 and certainly not giving up hope - otherwise what's the point in turning up?

My mate said that why we had to be in Manchester as it wouldn’t happen again. He was wrong but I don’t see us winning it next year.

What I was basically meaning in my OP is that we've been on an amazing journey and I'll be honest and say I honestly thought we would be sitting today as winners but, we arent and we accpet that , take all the experience we have learned and build on that and we keep rolling for the next European experience.

We last night were the representatives of our whole country, not just Scotland, the whole country so, yes, we lost last night but, we at least got to the final and did something so many other teams and so called big English teams this season could not do in Europe.

Last edited:
There is no reason why we can't reach another UEFA final. A clear out and a rebuild is the next stage. We've proved we can compete at this level but we've got to invest in the team and introduce our youngsters instead of more injury prone squad fillers.

It’s very unlikely, let’s be honest.

No reason we can’t go reasonably far in the EL (hopefully after a 3rd place finish in the CL and the pay day that would bring) but the reason these finals are so special for a club like ours is because they are so rare.

I’m not counting on a repeat any time soon, certainly not in the Europa League.

I’m not having this ‘never again will we reach a European final’ nonsense.

We’ve improved each year in Europe under Gerrard and Gio.

There’s absolutely no reason we can’t be in this position again next season and I believe in our team.

Recruitment this summer is absolutely key, of course (as is retaining the core of the team we want to build around).

Hopefully the club can see that.

Certainly my age and older almost certainly won’t see it again. It’s hard to take but it cements 1972 even further in our books.

There’s no getting away from it-our hearts are broken today.

But I saw loads of young kids last night with tears in their eyes and it encourages me greatly that those kids will have the fire in them to pass onto future generations, the desire and they’ve felt the pain of losing. That’s the future of our club and runs like we had this season has won us more fans and has done our profile massive good.

It will just take time to sink in that the positives outweigh the loss of last night.

I always think of Andy Murray in times like these. How many finals he did lose before he won the US open? How many Wimbledon finals did he loose before he won one? Three of the greatest tennis players in the world against him, constantly defeating him at the last hurdle, he reached world number one.
We're all hurting now, christ, we only lost 12 hours ago. Most of us haven't even sobered up yet. We'll all be back on the horse next season, bit between our teeth. But first let's win that Scottish Cup. We deserve it.

We thought the same after manchester. There’s even the conference league now, although I don’t know how I feel about that competition. Feels like foundation class back in high school.

Our aim for next year has to be to not even be in this tournament, and to get ourselves top 2 in the CL Group stage. But if we have to drop into the EL again, let’s do it.

Dear God man

We have been in Two in 14 years ,which isn't absolutely fantastic,but ain't that had either
We will be playing group stage football in whatever competition for a right few years now and have built up vast European experience and pedigree ,anything is possible going forward

we are all hurting ,and losing on penalties is heartbreak for us all

but to say we will never make another European final ?

We won't see a final again, but hopefully we can get CL groups, then drop into EL for a run again next season.

The league title is all that matters next year. I would personally go out in every cup in the first round next year as a trade off for the title, we simply must win the league.

Two automatic champions leagues for Celtic in a row and they are pulling away from us
Next season is coming down to the OF games. We need to take care of the shite in our league, as they do. Could be another tight one. We need to be at the top at the end of next season.

Last night was an anomaly, we are not expected to make finals of that magnitude. The Conference was invented for leagues like ours. We have no chance of doing anything in the CL. As for the EL, this season most of us just wanted to see us get that last 16 hoodoo put to bed. Next season, I can see it being back to that, last 16, maybe last 8. But not a final. If we wanted Europa Conference, we'd need to be strategic, but the final of that is about all I can see us ever reaching in my remaining lifetime.

Next season is coming down to the OF games. We need to take care of the shite in our league, as they do. Could be another tight one. We need to be at the top at the end of next season.
Next season our vlub and board must start calling out Ref performances in the league as way too many have vost us points.

The realist in me says the same. However there is no reason we cannot be a team like Seville regularly making finals or winning the europa league. We’ve proven the last 4 years we have what it takes to compete at this level. 3 quarter finals in a row one of which was a final. I’d love to see us get group stage champions league every year finishing 3rd and then a long europa league run. No reason we cannot.

Utterly amazing that Rangers have built a team capable of competing at this level while competing weekly in such a low level league.

While Septic have been so dire against decent opposition, our team has shown that with truly talented, tough and organised players anything is possible.

absolutely OP, no reason why we cant go on another good run

We will improve again next year and are now proven euro campaigners

I said that after Manchester and yet here we are. Third time lucky it will be for me when we win one.

I’m still utterly crushed from last night but we got there on merit and can do so again.

Reactions: VGM
I always think of Andy Murray in times like these. How many finals he did lose before he won the US open? How many Wimbledon finals did he loose before he won one? Three of the greatest tennis players in the world against him, constantly defeating him at the last hurdle, he reached world number one.
We're all hurting now, christ, we only lost 12 hours ago. Most of us haven't even sobered up yet. We'll all be back on the horse next season, bit between our teeth. But first let's win that Scottish Cup. We deserve it.
The difference is that Andy Murray was clearly one of the best in the world and was likely to feature in finals regularly.

Last night was a major final against a comparatively ordinary team. I don't see another opportunity like that coming around any time soon.

Sport always has highs and lows so there will be good times ahead for sure but I have to be honest and say I don't see think we'll get a chance like this again within the current football structure and given the financial advantages of other leagues.

The difference is that Andy Murray was clearly one of the best in the world and was likely to feature in finals regularly.

Last night was a major final against a comparatively ordinary team. I don't see another opportunity like that coming around any time soon.

Sport always has highs and lows so there will be good times ahead for sure but I have to be honest and say I don't see think we'll get a chance like this again within the current football structure and given the financial advantages of other leagues.
We are all entitled to our opinion mate but , dosagree with you on this and think we will have learnt a lot this season and can see us at least getting to another Europa league final

Yeah, I get that. But it was more a statement about fortitude. Andy Murray was probably the least naturally gifted out of the 4 players. He got to number one through grafting harder than the others and picking himself up and going again after each disappointment.
You're right - it's likely the best opportunity we'll have. But who knows? If we manage to continue to hang around in the latter stages of European competitions like we have been doing for 3 years now, it might happen sooner than you think.
We have a cup final to win on Saturday. It'll be some of our players last match for the club. People like Steven Davis deserve a bit of silverware. If they can pick themselves up, so can we. We absolutely want to win the Scottish Cup. It's been far too long.

Tend to agree - last night was our golden opportunity.

Unless we can get into a bigger or European group type league, or Man City type investment we could play for another 150 years & not get the same opportunity as last night.

If we continue to reach the last 16 in Europe regularly that is a great achievement for us, this season is something that happens very occasionally when the stars all align

I’m not having this ‘never again will we reach a European final’ nonsense.

We’ve improved each year in Europe under Gerrard and Gio.

There’s absolutely no reason we can’t be in this position again next season and I believe in our team.

Recruitment this summer is absolutely key, of course (as is retaining the core of the team we want to build around).

Hopefully the club can see that.

People need to accept that the clubs with the bigger budgets will be the ones competing for trophies the majority of the time.

Every so often though a club outside the top 5 leagues can get a really good group of players together who will gel and overachieve - but its a short window.

Obviously I'm not saying we stop trying - I'm just saying we need to be realistic too.

Tend to agree - last night was our golden opportunity.

Unless we can get into a bigger or European group type league, or Man City type investment we could play for another 150 years & not get the same opportunity as last night.
Or we could average one every 12 years or so as we have done over the last 6 decades

Reactions: VGM
If we continue to reach the last 16 in Europe regularly that is a great achievement for us, this season is something that happens very occasionally when the stars all align
This is our level,to qualify for the champions league will be hard,a new built team the usual only weeks to prepare vs opponents from other countries who are half way through there season thats the same old story eh? I think wel be in the same competition next year thats our level im afraid.

Champions league qualification and winning the league title back have to be the two primary aims next season anything else is a bonus.

My take too.

Last night was an extremely rare chance to win a European trophy.

I'm no spring chicken, so I certainly don't expect to see us in a final again in my lifetime.
Couldn’t agree more, only chance as good as last night with a beatable opponent would almost certainly come in the conference.

Just so unlikely things ever align like this year again, what an opportunity missed.

As soon as the holiday chart comes out for 2023 I’ll be booking the week off for the Europa league final as usual.

Maybe even the Super Cup as I was sweating on the time off in August and looking like a day trip.

And I’m the glass half empty type.

Back