This level of performance is unsustainable

Such a stupid take.

Not really. Man City and Liverpool both played better more attractive football the year Leicester won the EPL. Still finished behind them. We could kick into gear and play better football, but if Celtic were to turn around and get 30 odd wobbly 1-0 wins in a row we would lose the league most likely. In fact, for decades it has been one of the scums most frustrating traits. Sneaking in last minute goals to save their skin time and time again. Playing rubbish yet keeping their 3 points. We have lost titles when we were the better team because of that trait. So let's not panic.

We have a 7 point gap and the pressure is on them against a tricky wee Dundee Utd team tomorrow. Let's sit back and breathe and enjoy another euro trip this weekend. I don't know about you, but after the last decade, I still amnt taking them for granted and loving every minute of being back!

Totally agree. We aren’t going to keep getting away with it.

It’s great that we are grinding out results and still top, but it’s not sustainable.

Only difference from Motherwell last week was the keeper bailed out our now obligatory defensive howler.
We dont get away with it vs mwell, lyon.and by pure luck today were stuggling for form no getting away from.it that was crap today again a win just.

No point burying our heads in the sand and saying everything's fine cause we are top of the league, keep playing like this and that will quickly change.

Almost October, near enough 20 games, and we have barely put one good 90 minute performance in, that is absolutely shocking.

Spot on LD

We haven't put in 1 good performance, not 1

There s not been enough additions of quality to put pressure on last seasons team.
The hunger is not there in the same capacity, they need to remember that we are in SGs fourth season and we have one trophy at the moment.
The league and a cup is a necessity .

I don't agree with this thread, but I do like that we are top of the League and so many fans are critical, because it feels like old times again; maybe it's what makes the club so special. As far I'm concerned leagues are won with results and performances like that, and we were nowhere near as bad as suggested by a good few on here.

We’ll eventually need to step it up a few gears and, as it stands, we don’t look capable of that.

I absolutely don’t buy the ‘it’s okay because it’s better than Celtic’ school of thought that’s sweeping the fanbase just now.

Strider made quite an interesting point last week, on one of the H&H preview shows, which was that some people have forgotten - because of the way we won 55 - what a normal season looks like.

Winning leagues involves plenty of games like today, where we just do enough to leave with the points. Anybody who grew-up watching Walter's teams should know this. Good Rangers teams just find a way.

Strider made quite an interesting point last week, on one of the H&H preview shows, which was that some people have forgotten - because of the way we won 55 - what a normal season looks like.

Winning leagues involves plenty of games like today, where we just do enough to leave with the points. Anybody who grew-up watching Walter's teams should know this. Good Rangers teams just find a way.
It involves lots of tough games where you scrape by by a goal or so yes, but not every single game. My point is we can't keep churning performances like that out every week and expect to win the league.

No point burying our heads in the sand and saying everything's fine cause we are top of the league, keep playing like this and that will quickly change.

Almost October, near enough 20 games, and we have barely put one good 90 minute performance in, that is absolutely shocking.
It's the start of the season. In truth Rangers aren't there yet but we are doing okay... everybody get behind them.the results will be more positive. I love my effing team....support them too

It involves lots of tough games where you scrape by by a goal or so yes, but not every single game. My point is we can't keep churning performances like that out every week and expect to win the league.

We're not doing it in every single game though. So far it has been a mix of results involving comfortable wins, hard fought wins, grinds like today and also a couple of disappointing league results.

We only beat Celtic by one goal but I wouldn't place that performance in the same bracket as today's win.

Quite a few don't remember the late 80s/early 90s when we always started slowly and picked up in the run up to Christmas/New Year, winning league after league.

Great win because we were second best for long spells against bottom of the league who deserved to win game.
Most fans can our performances so far need to change quickly.
That's a load of shite no way we're we second best. We didn't play well but Dundee were not the better team

Who do you think is overtaking us?

I was pulled up earlier for a spelling mistake in another thread so I'll try to make it brief.

League winning teams are the ones that get the results, it's actually not always that pretty. Yeah sometimes you get the squads where it all just clicks, but a lot of the other times there's bits & bobs here n there to have a wee gripe about.

We have not had a great start, we are not free flowing. There are multiple reasons for that.

But ffs what ever happened to just being happy about getting the 3 points.

Seriously.

When you wake up tomorrow morning would you rather be top of the league without hitting top gear, or would you rather be 7 points behind ?

And no I'm not burying my head in the sand, the performances so far are nowhere near the standard of last year, and to be honest we look terrified of losing rather than confident of winning but I'm sure with our support the confidence will come back.

If we win the league being mediocre no c*nt will ever remember it. That’s how we win titles. We scuff teams and we scrape by teams. I don’t care as long as we win.

Team has become stagnant. The new signings don't look like they will take any Jersey off of them
Early to say that. After a poor start Lundstram is coming onto a game. Bacuna isn't match sharp yet, but has looked promising in his brief cameos. Sakala looks lively too

Over the decades I've seen Rangers performances that seemed no better than amateur games on Glasgow Green...in a treble-winning season.

Truly, results are all that matter and we got another result today.

I don't agree with this thread, but I do like that we are top of the League and so many fans are critical, because it feels like old times again; maybe it's what makes the club so special. As far I'm concerned leagues are won with results and performances like that, and we were nowhere near as bad as suggested by a good few on here.
For me mate and im at every game,its been dire and i cant help feeling keep this up and our luck will run out more than our luck will keep us winning,its not good to watch our play is chronic theres no getting away from it.

Early to say that. After a poor start Lundstram is coming onto a game. Bacuna isn't match sharp yet, but has looked promising in his brief cameos. Sakala looks lively too
Which move from Lundstram makes u think hes on a game genuinley wondering? i feel he takes the easy pass 99 times out of 100 offers nothing going fwd i could be wrong.

I would take 1-0 wins all season playing poorly everyday of the week, it’s just the amount of chances we are giving teams. Still happy to be 7 points clear, albeit it will no doubt be 4 tomorrow but we need to start upping our game soon.

I would take 1-0 wins all season playing poorly everyday of the week, it’s just the amount of chances we are giving teams. Still happy to be 7 points clear, albeit it will no doubt be 4 tomorrow but we need to start upping our game soon.
It was dire again no getting away from it.

It was dire again no getting away from it.
Correct. I’m delighted with the 3 points, but if we don’t improve soon, we won’t be getting these 3 points. With hibs and hearts coming soon, if we don’t improve we could easily drop points. I think we will up our game for these fixtures, we better!

It’s the worst football we’ve played under Gerrard, the team has regressed undoubtedly. Something needs to click and quick!!!

Last season was a total anomaly on so many parts

Even just how the fixtures fell for a start. After 7 league games last season, that's all we had played

This year after 7 league games we have also played 5 European games and 2 Cup games, while there has also been an international break with 3 matches in it that hadn't came round by this point last season. This is on tip of a poor pre season and has caused us numerous selection problems due to suspension and injury etc.

And we were still only 2 goals and 3 points better off than we are now.

If not for a save from a piss poor penalty we drop more points, Dundee had double the shots on target that we had as well, despite having 1/3 of the possession in the game.
The whole “shhhhh we won” thing is a bit annoying. Because realistically we won’t get away with performances like today’s forever. I wouldn’t be shocked if it costs us dear in the cups again too.

The managers apparent satisfaction with today was what troubled me most. I fully expected him to be apoplectic with rage at that performance.
You expected a Rangers manager to be apoplectic with rage after coming away from a game with a win? I can completely jam with hoping he was concerned, but expecting rage? Being troubled because he did not express his rage? Do you think you might be over-egging it a little?

You expected a Rangers manager to be apoplectic with rage after coming away from a game with a win? I can completely jam with hoping he was concerned, but expecting rage? Being troubled because he did not express his rage? Do you think you might be over-egging it a little?
Yes mate, of course I’m over stating it. However, I expected him to be upset over the performance, not say it was full of positives. I only saw one, the result. I thought our defending was very worrying today, we seemed to sit off them, and a better team would have given us a skelping. I hoped he might be concerned about that at least

For me mate and im at every game,its been dire and i cant help feeling keep this up and our luck will run out more than our luck will keep us winning,its not good to watch our play is chronic theres no getting away from it.
Can I ask, did we see good passing, good close keeping of the ball for a great deal of the match? Gerrard even liked some aspects of the game. What many fans want are more goal mouth incidents, if there are fewer of them then the team played badly. Forget the 70% possession, forget the 20 shots on goal, and forget that teams up their game against us and we coped with that rather well. We won. I get that we are not at our best, but to suggest we are dire is not true.

Get back to the high press. Problem solved.

I don't know why we stopped doing this, in our league a press is good enough to get mistakes and goals

Which move from Lundstram makes u think hes on a game genuinley wondering? i feel he takes the easy pass 99 times out of 100 offers nothing going fwd i could be wrong.
Well against Livingston first goal came from Lundstram reading the game well, intercepting the ball to win back possession & playing a quick pass forward. 2nd goal, although he didn't touch it, his pressing spooked the keeper into the shite pass that lead to the goal. Also played a great through ball to Alfie that lead to a shot.

Pre season was disrupted with injuries and international tournaments. We will click again though. Meantime it's about results and next two games will show if we can step it up, both Edinburgh teams unbeaten so far.

I cant think of one performance this season where I thought, yeah we totally dominated them, easy, or wow that was electric.

The acid test will be against Hibs and Hearts.
Then we will know how much the players want the three points

I cant think of one performance this season where I thought, yeah we totally dominated them, easy, or wow that was electric.

To be fair there hasn’t been that many of those performances since start of the year.

I agree with what the H&H pod was saying, the team is no longer motivated by the challenges in front of them, by and large it’s almost the same 11 for the last few season who need more internal challenges from the management team to see how much they want to push themselves.

I genuinely think we missed a trick in the summer by not seeing it was the right time to sell 1 or 2 who may have peaked (Barisic for one) and reinvest in some fresh faces who would relish the challenge and opportunity to play for Rangers

In what way is it unsustainable?

In what way is it unsustainable?
If we keep playing the way we are, results will only get worse not better. If we play the way we have been in some of the harder fixtures, even at Ibrox, we will drop many more points without a doubt. We might get away with giving Dundee 5/10 chances, we won't get away with it against Hibs or Hearts.

Back