This myth about Rangers in the 90s

The ones that stick out in comparison to Sunday. There are none.
The ones that stick out to me most are the semi final at hampden and the game that van vossen missed an open goal from about 2 yards with 5 mins left to make it 2-0. They promptly went up the park and got a penalty,which Andy goram saved. That was a long night.

To be honest,I dont want to really compare being all over them on sunday to what we done in the past. Some of them games, we played like we were away in europe,soak it up and catch them on the break.
Made for a long night,but it happened a few times for it to be just luck.

The ones that stick out to me most are the semi final at hampden and the game that van vossen missed an open goal from about 2 yards with 5 mins left to make it 2-0. They promptly went up the park and got a penalty,which Andy goram saved. That was a long night.

To be honest,I dont want to really compare being all over them on sunday to what we done in the past. Some of them games, we played like we were away in europe,soak it up and catch them on the break.
Made for a long night,but it happened a few times for it to be just luck.

For me maybe the 1993 New Year game and the November 1992 1-0 win at their midden.

If you go back and read the match reports ftom the time it seems they might have had more possesion but we created more chances

On Sunday we had all the possesion and all the chances!!

has there ever been an old firm game where a team never got a shot on target??

Smith’s team of the early to mid 90s grew to let Celtic have possession in their half and in midfield up to our penalty area but they then found an utter wall between them and Goram.

McStay seemed to have a shot from the edge of the box saved by Goram every other game between the clubs.
It was an approach that largely worked, although it bit us in the arse a few times when they applied late pressure and scored with Rangers lacking time to get an equaliser or back in front. On the whole it worked well though.

There was confidence up from that McCoist/Hateley/Laudrup would get is a goal and equal confidence that Goram/Gough/Brown/McLaren etc would be a match for the Celtic forwards.
On Sunday, Rangers took Cetic by surprise by pushing the game on to them for most of the match. One of those chances goes in early and the result is likely to go the other way.

That's the one mate. Durie ended up playing as some sort of right wing back that night.

That's the game Burns uttered the 'Andy Goram broke my heart' line post match

Gascoigne hit the bar from a free kick near the end of that game if I recall.

Fed up hearing about how Sunday was a role reversal of Rangers v Celtic games in the 90s. Celtic fans and plenty of our own saying that Celtic used to pummel us only for Goram to save us and us to steal a victory. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't remember us ever in the 90s going 90 minutes without a legitimate shot on target. These Rangers sides were always dangerous - with players like McCoist Huistra, Walters Laudrup and Hately they couldn't be anything else. Sure they could defend and yes sometimes Goram was the difference but nothing like Sunday. Only game that comes close was the 92 Scottish Cup semi - and we played with 10 men for 85 minutes that night.
I agree with that and although it wasn't in the 90s I remember a game in March 2000 when Rod Wallace scored the only goal of the game 5 minutes from time and guess what Albertz had a penalty saved at 0-0. We were well under the cosh that night. Yes you read that right Albertz missed a penalty and not the only one he missed.

The save last Wednesday at Pitawdrie from Tav's free kick late on by Joe Lewis was better than most of Frathers but he's not getting talked up as a Euro 2020 3 Lions keeper.

For me Morelos has to take the brunt of the blame for not finishing his chances. The penalty in particular was just unbelievably poorly struck. The main impressive save from their goalie was the one from Jack early in the match.

How’s it a myth? In the 90’s they played pretty football and spent substantial time saying “aye but next time” while we carried on winning virtually everything.

Thats no myth, it’s exactly what’s happening now, we’re all talk and no balls. We beat St Mirren by a goal and it’s “played shite and won, mark of champions”, now we play well and lose a cup final and we’re told “ah but we played well, we’re getting there and our time is coming”. So basically the narrative chops and changes depending on the outcome and so long as it allows our supporters in denial to believe that we’re about to turn it all around. Yeah that’s no myth, it’s reality and you’re all watching it. Accepting what’s happened isn’t easy, but we might as face up to it and be honest about the clear parallels. Pretending they aren’t there isn’t going to help us get the league back.

Simon Donnelly was tweeting about how Sunday was payback for Jorge Cadete's offside goal at Ibrox.

23 years on and it still eats away at them. :D
Nuremberg never let that one go on the airwaves for years after either.

Was that November game the one I'm on about with the penalty save. It was a Thursday night game,I remember that.
No. The one you're on about was November 1996. The November 1992 win was a straightforward win. A bit of a smash and grab, but absolutely nothing like Sunday. The '96 one was an even game, by the way. Good chances for both sides.

No. The one you're on about was November 1996. The November 1992 win was a straightforward win. A bit of a smash and grab, but absolutely nothing like Sunday. The '96 one was an even game, by the way. Good chances for both sides.
Was right in line when van vossen missed that chance. Celebrations had started and he only got off with it,because goram saved the penalty

Was right in line when van vossen missed that chance. Celebrations had started and he only got off with it,because goram saved the penalty

Gazza missed a penalty in the same game

Edit. Actually stewart Kerr saved it, but we still had other chances to kill the game. Laudrup also had another great chance in the first half after he had scored.

These games were Wattie's version of Muhammad Ali's "rope-a-dope" tactics - and it worked an absolute treat. So nothing like Sunday's game.

Fed up hearing about how Sunday was a role reversal of Rangers v Celtic games in the 90s. Celtic fans and plenty of our own saying that Celtic used to pummel us only for Goram to save us and us to steal a victory. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't remember us ever in the 90s going 90 minutes without a legitimate shot on target. These Rangers sides were always dangerous - with players like McCoist Huistra, Walters Laudrup and Hately they couldn't be anything else. Sure they could defend and yes sometimes Goram was the difference but nothing like Sunday. Only game that comes close was the 92 Scottish Cup semi - and we played with 10 men for 85 minutes that night.
Spot on Billie!

I think agreeing with the OP, ned to try the Heart and Hand podcasts with watch backs via youtube.

Is this all because mutton mentioned this on BT at the weekend in that car thingy with mccoist and rae?

Simon Donnelly was tweeting about how Sunday was payback for Jorge Cadete's offside goal at Ibrox.

23 years on and it still eats away at them. :D
Yes i know it’s like we have never had perfectly good goals wrongly chopped off against them.

Same. I would like to know what specific matches people are on about when they say this.
Just to have a look at line-ups and stats etc.

Burns was in charge of the tims for 94/95, 95/96 and 96/97.

Season 94/95:
The mentally challengeds finished 4th in the league.
We won the league by 15 points.
They beat us 2-0 at Ibrox
We beat them 3-1 away (at Hampden)
1-1 Draw at Ibrox
They beat us 3-0 away (at Hampden)

Season 95/96:
mentally challengeds finished second.
We won the league by 4 points. 27 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses.
1-0 to us away in the League Cup
2-0 to us away in the league
3-3 at Ibrox in the league
0-0 at Parkhead in the league
1-1 at Ibrox in the league
2-1 to us at Hampden in Scottish Cup

Season 96/97:
We win the league by 5 points. 25 wins, 5 draws, 6 losses.
2-0 to us at Ibrox
1-0 to us at Parkhead
3-1 to us at Ibrox
They beat us 2-0 in the Scottish Cup at Parkhead
1-0 to us at Parkhead

Honestly, I don't see too many matches there that could really be comparable to Sunday.

More than that, I definitely don't see where the "Rangers are now Tommy Burn's Celtic" comes from.
We were rotten at Ibrox in September and got beat because we played so poorly.
Sunday was a bit of a shocker but it's WAY too early to contextualize that in the grand scheme.

We are capable of going there on the 29th and winning.
We won't be favorites but we are definitely capable.

It's too early to judge these kinds of things.
We go there on the 29th and win and suddenly all of this changes.

The "Tommy Burn's Celtic" comparison is not only way off but it's too early to make such a comparison anyway.

On top of all that it perpetuates the bullsh!t narrative that our 7, 8 and 9 in a row teams were somehow undeserving or lucky which is complete and utter nonsense.
They weren't even our main rivals then
I think they finished 2nd to us only twice maybe 3 times during 9 in a row.

The closest game to that i can remember was the 1-1 when McCulloch equalised at the piggery and even then we got a draw out of it.

I have never seen a cup final in any country like that before.
Wigan vs Man City?

For me Morelos has to take the brunt of the blame for not finishing his chances. The penalty in particular was just unbelievably poorly struck. The main impressive save from their goalie was the one from Jack early in the match.

got to say the save with his feet from Alfie was the pick of the saves for me.

The game for me that most resembled Sunday was the one at the piggery with Laudrups looping goal....... and it was Andy Dibble in goal that day not Goram

Not even close to that mate sorry to piss on your chips but nothing like that at all.

We easily could of scored a few in that game and we were hardly hanging on.

The only one that comes remotely close and even then it's still NOWHERE near Sunday and that will never be repeated was the 1992 November game at The Piggery when we had just beaten Leeds on the Weds to qualify for the first ever Champions League and we stole a 1-0 victory thanks to wee Durrant.

Was like Sunday and even then nothing like it but defo the closest to it.

Big lurch did well for Ryan Jack's effort but all the other chances you would expect any half decent keeper to save. I think he played well but the chances we carved out were not clear cut. The penalty was poorly taken. In the 90s we pummeled them several times
I get where you’re coming from.
Every chance was at a fairly acute angle.
Not one that he hasn’t scored from in the past mind you.

I enjoyed that era but at times we were a pretty dross football team to watch, I don't think that is a rewrite or myth in all honesty.

We played effective winning and football and typically took our chances when Celtic made mistakes and they oft did with a comedy defense

By the time Burns was there they oft played what was the more ascetically pleasing football albeit were a flawed football team

For much of that era we were a chore to watch

A lot of Sunday did remind me of that era
In an era with Gascoigne, Laudrup, McCoist and Hateley, we played a lot of dross and were a chore to watch?
Maybe the odd game, in fact, I’ll concede 93-94 which, I think, was a pre Burns era but I don’t remember thinking too often that I was watching dross.

In the Smith v Burns years, they tended to have more possession and got the ball into our penalty box more than we got it in theirs.
But generally we created plenty despite less of the ball, and always had a threat about us.

I have been watching these games for 60+ years and I've seen both sides dish out a few pastings. Only on a very few occasions has the dominant side lost.

In all these years I have never witnessed anything like Sunday. Even after the goal and and the introduction of the froggie we were mostly on top yet incredibly they had the best chance for a goal.

I've never been as devastated at a result as I was at the weekend.

In an era with Gascoigne, Laudrup, McCoist and Hateley, we played a lot of dross and were a chore to watch?
Maybe the odd game, in fact, I’ll concede 93-94 which, I think, was a pre Burns era but I don’t remember thinking too often that I was watching dross.

Ehmm ok, that’s a thing you think....

Our forward line was dreadful on Sunday or it would have been a cricket score. There was nothing like that in the 90s when we had players vastly superior to anyone the Filth have now.

We didn't have a forward line on Sunday. We had Alfie. He was backed up by Jack and the full backs. Aribo on occasion and that was it.

Yet again we had passengers we could ill afford.

Arfield and Kent being the invisible men in chief.

Jan 1996 0-0 game is often mentioned because of Burns comment about Goram. The Goalie was outstanding but we also had chances. Gazza hit the bar and Salenko missed a fair chance.
I remember being disappointed we didnt beat them - as in every game around that time.

Davie Robertson sent off in the first few minutrs, biblical rainfall, backs to the wall performance, Goram unbeatable and Ally pops up with a winner, it totally destroyed them
100%. One of my favourite Rangers games. I just remember singing our hearts out to drive the team to hang on.

Here's the match report.

Nothing like Sunday really.
I did say that we set out like that at games and played to catch them on the break. Still a long game mind you,when they have the ball most of the time.

Now seeing as I still cant remember that penalty or burns getting sent off, I'm better withdrawing from this thread,due to old age and memory problems :rolleyes:

Sunday was no role reversal from the 1990’s I can assure you and whoever says that it was is frankly talking utter bullshit.

Yes, we had Luck against a better Celtic side in certain games but I have never witnessed a more one sided Old Firm match like that one on Sunday - especially a Cup Final.

Last edited:
I've argued the exact same. I have never seen such a one sided game that the better team has lost

Only time I can think of a game like that was the 1996 cup semi final. They battered us in the second half and I felt we were lucky. But we had 2 legitimate, well worked goals.

Still won the game 2-1 though, both first half efforts from Coisty I think but I was only 11 at the time so could be wrong.

Edit - just checked, was laudrup and McCoist

100%. One of my favourite Rangers games. I just remember singing our hearts out to drive the team to hang on.
The big difference being we were down to 10 on 8 minutes and went on to win. That's different to being ahead, and then defending for your lives for the last 30.

The facts are , Goram then was excellent.......Lurch had one great save from Jack ,the rest he didn't know anything about

In the Smith v Burns years, they tended to have more possession and got the ball into our penalty box more than we got it in theirs.
But generally we created plenty despite less of the ball, and always had a threat about us.
Correct, Sundays game bears no comparison to some of these 90’s games and I should know I went to all of them.

Its complete nonsense. Our circumstances are far different. We are coming back after four seasons out of the top flight. During that time we had to downsize to match the league we were in, then rebuild after we got back to the top flight. There is a very clear reason why we are playing catch up. The mentally challengeds in the 80/90s had no such excuse

That's how I remember it. We were never a particularly adept or slick passing team under Smith - it just wasn't his style - but neither were we a route one outfit that clogged our way to victory.

I do think our inability to play good possession football is what tripped us up in Europe for the most part, but domestically, most obviously against the Yahoos, Smith was happy to let them have the ball knowing we had the players to really hurt them on the break.

It was frustrating to watch at times but it didn't half get results.

Back